Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Say Nothing posted:

Why are they all standing in a featureless void?

It's very foggy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Bruceski posted:

It's very foggy.

Why would they want to relocate to Silent Hill?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Synthbuttrange posted:

hows that Bendis going for ya dc?

Boy do I not miss that guy.

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011
Bruce it's rude to point.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

MikeJF posted:

On a random note, is that golden pointy thing in front of the hall just a generic abstract sculpture, or does it have a meaning or is it something specific?

It keeps Starros away.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Keeshhound posted:

So these are like, the storyboard sketches, right?

It’s caca poo-poo.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

MikeJF posted:

On a random note, is that golden pointy thing in front of the hall just a generic abstract sculpture, or does it have a meaning or is it something specific?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDIxknWzT9w

They've had it forever.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Say Nothing posted:

Why are they all standing in a featureless void?
Listen, they spent a lot of money on those fancy medical machines. They don't have the resources to render in a floor... or walls... or color.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

MikeJF posted:

I always thought it was supposed to be an abstract flame.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I always thought it was supposed to keep Snapper Carr out. Not that it worked mind you.

Astribulus
Apr 20, 2004
That's the second largest duck I've ever had in my pants. - Guybrush Threepwood

Mister Olympus posted:

Now I'm not a big comics reader but it says something that, not knowing who Bendis is, I couldn't tell whether the post was complaining about the art or the writing.

Bendis would be writer Brian Michael Bendis who recently jumped ship from writing at Marvel. He was responsible such writing accomplishments as creating Miles Morales and Jessica Jones, and also many runs and events which were not worth the paper they were printed on such as Civil War II in recent years. With his defection to DC comes the perfunctory end of Peter J. Tomasi's amazing run on Superman. The result is the "caca poo poo" you see here.

I don't blame you for being confused, though. The art is terrible too.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Pacra posted:

Why is minidredd punching Dr. Dinosaur :ohdear:

Story is a prequel showing Dredd while he's still a cadet in the Judges Academy. Specifically at a ride-along/crowd control with a proper Judge at an Aeroball championship game between Mega City One and Texas City. While the Judge is away taking care of an unruly crowd, Dredd is left to deal with Mega City's mascot getting hammered and pulling a gun on Texas City's mascot (which happens to be a pen of Velociraptors). While taking down the drunk, the firearm goes off and shoots out the lock to the Raptor's pen, letting them free. Dredd punches one of them (as shown in the OP) to assert his dominance and orders them back to their cage (which they comply). Dredd cancels the game, and proceeds to not only arrest the mascot but the entire audience as well due to unruliness and resisting arrest.

It was a part of 2000ad's FCBD release this year, which was surprisingly all-ages and still pretty dang good.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Synthbuttrange posted:

I'm like 90% sure Superman's chest muscles were drawn in MS Paint.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
WW's right arm/shoulder looks like she should also be receiving medical attention.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Synthbuttrange posted:

Looks more like it should be a storyboard for an animated film than an actual comic.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

It looks like an instructional panel. "Now, with the background greyed out, note the placement of characters and perspective."

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

"Are we not allowed to say batshit around Batman?"

Kevin Palpatine
Dec 20, 2017
ok I don't know from comics, I only have this thread bookmarked because funny comics are still funny

are you telling me that some dude who gets paid to write for a living has the Flash saying that Superman is full of "caca poo poo"?

or is this one of those Pinkerton comics? like Spiderman and the diabetes criminal?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Hes not just a paid writer, hes one of the biggest names in the industry

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Also from a few days earlier:

Adnor posted:

The latest Man of Steel has the most Bendis dialogue Bendis has ever written:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Kevin Palpatine posted:

ok I don't know from comics, I only have this thread bookmarked because funny comics are still funny

are you telling me that some dude who gets paid to write for a living has the Flash saying that Superman is full of "caca poo poo"?

or is this one of those Pinkerton comics? like Spiderman and the diabetes criminal?

He became very renowned and influential in superhero comics from updating Spider-Man for a new generation by making him say "tuchus".

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I'm not going to claim any of the Bendis dialogue on this page is good, but he has written some of the best super hero comics of the 21st century. I guess he's like a less racist or mysoganiy Frank Miller (coincidentally his best work is also Daredevil).

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Skwirl posted:

I'm not going to claim any of the Bendis dialogue on this page is good, but he has written some of the best super hero comics of the 21st century. I guess he's like a less racist or mysoganiy Frank Miller (coincidentally his best work is also Daredevil).

I just reread the complete original run of Ultimate Spider-Man and goddamn is (most of) it good.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Honestly I like Man of Steel quite a bit. I thought Bendis' Batman dialog in the last issue was on point too.

Somberbrero fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Jul 1, 2018

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

loving Batman, the Penguin would have been doing us a massive favour.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Shaariibuugiin_Altantuyaa

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Najib_Razak#Corruption_accusations

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
"i scared her on accident, you did that on purpose."
"i'm batman"

okay, that one got me to laugh.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Somberbrero posted:

Honestly I like Man of Steel quite a bit. I thought Bendis' Batman dialog in the last issue was on point too.

Is this from the same book as Synth posted? Both the art and dialog are much better here.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Woebin posted:

Is this from the same book as Synth posted? Both the art and dialog are much better here.

Man of Steel has a different artist every book, and as someone who's read a poo poo ton of Marvel Bendis, he's got his highs and his lows when it comes to writing.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Woebin posted:

Yeah, they're two issues apart.

I've never, ever heard someone say 'caca' in real life. 'Caca Doo Doo' is an insane thing to say. I have to wonder if it's a generational or regional thing? I won't try and defend that art but I like that style way more on the following page. The art also changes a lot in Man of Steel #5 if I recall correctly? I think every few pages are done in a different style. It's odd.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

There's more discussion in the DC thread in the last few pages about this whole thing if you'd like to read more.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Bendis has big problems and little problems, and I mean that in terms of macro- and micro-, not in relative terms of egregiousness. So you have large-scale plotting issues in stuff like Civil War II, which devotes so much time to characters gasping at the fact of the event comic that it forgets to show us an event, and barely remembers to show us a comic. Then you have small-scale problems like dialogue tics, which are easy to isolate into little two or three page chunks-- his insistance on giving every "snarky" character the same weird grab-bag of Yiddishisms, for example, or the call-and-response dialogue which worked very well in a lot of cases, like early Powers or Alias.

I tend to like him well enough to give his projects a chance, and when he's writing A Bad Comic, like the aforementioned Civil War II it's usually easy to pick up on and ditch. That a page like the "caca doo-doo" one and the pretty well-executed Batman scene just posted are from the same title is not at all surprising to me. It's like Cannonball saying he's nigh invulnerable while he's blasting, or Mark Gruenwald's occasionally very very dopey writing of women, it's just sort of the gristle in a meal that you may or may not decide is worth eating but is almost definitely not 100% gristle.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Somberbrero posted:

There’s no way Batman would ever say “politest” outside of a Bendis comic.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Servoret posted:

There’s no way Batman would ever say “politest” outside of a Bendis comic.

Look even Batman doesn't have perfect grammar all the time. Meanwhile though, all the way in the Batcave, Alfred feels the supernatural urge to chide someone and he doesn't know why...

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

It's a Zoolander reference.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Synthbuttrange posted:

I had a whole post written up about how I appreciate the honesty in making the contrast between the carefully-reproduced character designs with brand recognition and the extremely forgettable world they inhabit so explicit, but the longer I look at this and the other art from that book, the more I'm convinced that the colorist just didn't have all the right layers enabled when exporting that page from photoshop. (Does Adam Hughes do his own colors?)

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
His colouring isn't normally so flat, but he might just be going for speed. He does like to desaturate things in the background.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Poser is a scourge to comic books.

Edit: Actually I take this back Daniel Scott Gabriel Murray's stuff looks good always and he uses poser extensively

Edit Edit: Seeing as this is the funny panels thread, have a silver age superman

Pacra fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jul 1, 2018

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Supernirs

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I don't know why Superman kept giving those to Jimmy. There was always some bullshit happening with one piece or another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

davebo posted:

Supernirs
If this guy didn’t have a red cape and superpowers, it wouldn’t be his souvenir case; during the investigation and manhunt, the FBI would refer to it as “UNSUB’s trophy collection.”