Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Rhyno posted:

A funny thing about that page, Joe Kelly forgot that at the time Superboy didn't know that Clark and Superman were one and the same. He joked about the reprimand he got from Carlin over it.

If only there were someone who could oversee Kelly's work and edit as need be during the creative process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Lurdiak posted:

It would gently caress me up so bad if I got dumped in the Marvel universe. I'd have to start hating Jonah and being scared shitless of Eddie Brock.

You mean if you got dumped in the Marvel universe New York. If I ended up living in the same place I do now but just the Marvel Universe version I think (hope?) things would basically remain the same.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Lurdiak posted:

That's even worse. Do you know how hosed up and evil the Marvel Canadian Government is?

I always hear that but other than Weapon X what else is it?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Lurdiak posted:

They've had the registration act forever, they got taken over by evil aliens like 3 times, they militarize all their superheroes, etc.

And Weapon X is kind of a big evil thing to have!

Yet, better than New York.

Also Canada has been doing reprehensible poo poo since Day 1 in the real world. Weapon X would fit right in.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I'm from Houston and I agree with Scarlet Spider.

How does a Spider-Guy even function in a city with only 5-6 big skyscrapers that are all within a couple blocks of each other? He'd have to be jumping from car to car on I-10 just to get anywhere.

I don't know why in all these decades no one has any new ideas for Spider-Man's web travelling. If anything, they've regressed. At least Ditko would have him using webs like tightropes but 99.999% of all artists since have never copied it or done anything else.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Ghostlight posted:

You're good.

Honestly I'm surprised how many people could call him out considering he's lucky if he's even c-list.

Yeah but he used to show up in Spider-Man comics so he's got that exposure going for him.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Selachian posted:

I don't remember which issue -- it might have been the MTU one you mention -- but I recall a fight where Paladin was bragging to Spidey that his suit gave him "the strength of three men." (Which is kind of sad in itself when you're fighting freaking SPIDER-MAN.)

Spidey's response: "Which three -- Moe, Larry, and Curly?"

Strength of three men definitely isn't enough:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Dolash posted:

What exactly are his powers, apart from rad driving skills and extremely genre-savvy career planning?

If you ever played Crackdown and remember watching your vehicle upgrade, he has an extremely loosely defined ability to do that to any [motor?] vehicle.

Or if Pimp My Ride was a show where each person's car was changed not by a team of mechanics and body shop wunderkinds but by Xzibit's Midas touch, that is Overdrive.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

WickedHate posted:

Wait, how the hell did a mob boss's injection do that? That's so broadly defined and magical! It's like if an amateur chemist mixed some prescription drugs together and created the Green Lantern ring.

You probably don't want to look up Chemistro, who invented an alchemy gun.

I suppose you could :techno: Overdrive's powers by saying the nano-bacteria were already pre-programmed to work only within the narrow scope of advanced machine vehicles and with all the knowledge/specifications on the other technology necessary and compatible for pimping them up? Maybe some other beings looked at Earth and erroneously thought that cars were the dominant lifeform and created the nano-bacteria to rapidly evolve and change them, like when someone comes along in comics and decides to mutate humans.

How Mr. Negative got his hands on it though, who knows. Fell out of the sky?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

SynthOrange posted:

What If Overdrive got into Ghost Rider's car?

And if it fights the Batmobile, how much prep time does the Batmobile get?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

dordreff posted:

Amateur chemists mixing drugs together is how like half the DCU got their powers. Don't hate.

Overdrive's powers come from a similar source as Cloak's and Dagger's and considering what the two of them can do Overdrive is pretty underpowered. Nano-bacteria isn't as potent as synthetic heroin...?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

He later learns that his powers tap into the Pimpforce.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

SilverSupernova posted:

The one thing that really bothered me about her appearance in this issue is how highly implausible it is that Gwen wouldn't know who Rocket Raccoon and Groot are.

Does the MCU exist where she comes from or only the comic books? Before the movie a lot of people who grew up and kept reading Marvel could be expected to not really know who those two were.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Ox being short for Oxford is one of my all-time fave Simpsons gags.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Wheat Loaf posted:

Isn't Gibbon the one whose a misogynist with the power to mesmerise women?

I know there's this simian bad guy with that power, but Gibbon's the only one that occurs to me off the top of my head.

Mandrill is who you're thinking of.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The character synopsis for Iron Fist back in the day was odd enough given that it's speaking in the second person but the weirdest part is definitely the first line mentioning his dad's balls.

Source is any old school Iron Man comic but specifically this is from his Marvel Premiere days.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

joehonkie posted:

And then Marvel made that an actual plot.

What If... What Ifs Weren't Ifs?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Open Marriage Night posted:

It's really good. Fred Flintstone might be the most relatable guy in comics.

No, that would only be after he signs a deal with the devil to undo his marriage to Wilma.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Actually, I don't know why I said that, that's wrong. Fred would not sign a deal with the devil.

He would just get Gazoo to do it.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I don't have to count them to know that there's more than 17 syllables in that narration.

Marvel Premiere #23

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

And try to upstage the joke of the Funny Panel? Never!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Page 316.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Say Nothing posted:

I'm not sure if this is real, or something deviantart coughed up.

Creepy enough without the three other guys standing there gawking.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

techknight posted:

From what I can tell online they don't really live west of Ontario. In Toronto at least, black squirrels are by far the largest segment of the squirrel population

And any downtown Torontonian will tell you about the iconic and rare white squirrel!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Ashcans posted:

Poverty? Those monsters have a TV and a VCR, I bet they even have a fridge. :colbert:

Grrr... Lucky Lycan wins again!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Seemingly from an issue of Transformers, but I don't know which one.

This could easily go in the Bad rear end thread (is it still around?) or the Good/Bad Comic Art thread, but I think it's funny enough for here.

Ever so slightly disappointed that Florida is not in its crotch but Italy is exactly right.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

trashbuilder posted:

The size of North America vs Africa on his armor is v funny to me

Not even all of North America, it's mostly America. He should have been named the evil Mercator!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Cleretic posted:

What corner of the MCU would he even be at his best in? I feel like all the casts his concept would work best with are too stone-faced for him (Captain America, Daredevil), while the characters he'd suit tonally are too high-powered for him (Iron Man, maybe Ant-Man).

I suppose if we stretch to the non-Disney-owned Marvel-property movies there's Deadpool and Spider-Man.

He's supposed to be an Avengers villain. His costume and main weapons are a combination of imitations of Avengers like Cap, Hawkeye, Black Knight.

At his power level though he couldn't be the main bad guy in an Avengers film but he could be a part. I disagree that he wouldn't work in a Captain America film but only because I would expect Taskmaster to be a villain for the whole crew, not just Cap by himself. Taskmaster works best in a fist fight because you need to show him mimicking fight styles and having him go toe-to-toe with Cap, Bucky, Widow, Falcon, Hawkeye, etc. all at the same time would be cool. There's even some ready-made humour in having him imitate Widow's style.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Ashcans posted:

This definitely belongs here because the idea that Reed has faced all these crazy dangers and villains and then goes down to simply being shot at is hilarious. Doom is sitting in his castle clenching his fists 'Shoot him? Shoot him?! How did Doom not consider that!'

Because of his feelings for Sue in the moment and because of his powers, his heart swelled up way bigger than normal, making him vulnerable to regular bullets for a brief moment.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Endless Mike posted:

DC's character is called Shazam now, so no, no problem at all.

Oh snap, it's going to be The Rock vs. Shaq!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Detective No. 27 posted:

The Wizard is named Shazam, Billy Batson is Shazam's Monster.

You don't have to be pedantic about it! If a person isn't talking about Shazam's Monster they'll say Doctor The Wizard Shazam.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Shazam disappears if you get him to say his name backwards, right?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Selachian posted:

The Lex Luthor of Earth-3 (the Crime Syndicate's world) actually did transform by yelling "MAZAHS!"

Not surprised an actual comic beat me to it.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

I can't take this as anything other than Jimmy wishing he could ride a wiener.

"...and not just a regular one. A huge one. I'm talking horse weiner."

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Lurdiak posted:

This is a good time to point out Wolverine was very nearly a hardcore Quebec separatist when he was originally created. That idea came after the hyper-evolved Wolverine, naturally.

Would he have tried to carve Quebec out of Canada with his claws like Bugs Bunny sawing Florida off?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Test Pattern posted:

I would legitimately read an ongoing about Velma Dinkley and the power of JINKIES.

Velma being Mary Marvel-ized would basically be Daphne. That'd be awkward.

Lurdiak posted:

They (sorta) ended up using that for Northstar and Aurora later on.

Haha. If nothing else, we would've gotten an amazing tantrum issue after the 96 referendum.

"Be here next month, True Believers for the battle you've all been waiting for! It's the ultimate showdown! WOLVERINE vs. THE ANGLOS!"

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

It's an old, admittedly cheap stereotype of Quebeckers and their love of Pepsi that we terrible Anglophones in Canada have used.

The original is from Whedon's run on Astonishing and he says beer.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

You know his real name wouldn't have been Logan if they had made him Quebecois.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

the accent alone

Sitting here laughing thinking what it would have sounded like in the 90s cartoon if Wolverine and Gambit had a conversation together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Wolverine would get Iceman to build him a Crashed Ice course out on the mansion's lawn:

https://youtu.be/mSfXRb4W-R0

Although on further investigation apparently this is not just a Quebec City thing.

Edit: God I hate trying to embed video from the app.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Nov 17, 2016