Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i dont understand why you didnt put the concept art for the girls in the op :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Watch the sub. From what I remember the dub was made to try and cash in on Sailor Moon, and... no.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

It's not as heavily edited, but they made attempts to downplay the sexuality, homo or otherwise, at least from what I remember. Also, the dubbing is pretty bad in general. The shadow play girls, especially, are way too overacting and drawn out, when the entire gag in the original was how spontaneous they were, how they were chatting like hyper schoolgirls. It's like the dubbers saw that they were supposed to be deep and decided that deep = talking slowly and dramatically.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I feel like Slayers has way more potential for saturday morning cartoonism than Utena, period jokes aside.

edit: Though if they tried to make Gourry the protagonist instead of Lina, like Escaflowne tried to do, then, uhh...

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

They edited it to try and make it about the guys, even though the protagonist is female and it's a pretty shoujo series. There's definitely action in the show, but I wouldn't call it an action series, which is what they tried to make it be. A real square peg, round hole situation.

Compare the JP OP to the US one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbhcChdCAUk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5ZXbrqPjKM

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

lol @ goons making excuses

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

I like nudity, fan-service and lesbians, I am going to like this show.
yeah if that's your game i dont care but don't go 'it's not that bad!!!' or 'actually, the artistic intent...'

just say your watching the show with the underage girls getting naked and licking each other's feet in the op. you dont need to make excuses. just do that.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

So is this shaping up to be the best anime to get hornery to this season?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Hrm - that doesn't seem accurate. That bear is an adult.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Space Bat posted:

They're mostly bad and frankly, he likes to diddle kids.
do not insult a man involved in the production of toushou ramen-man

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

You know, ignoring the obvious thing to argue about for a second, this was kind of a dull first episode. It feels like a parody of Ikuhara, with all the flashing lights and roses and lesbians but nothing to ground it. The characters have very little personality and motivations that are either simple or too abstract to make sense of / relate to yet, and the visuals border on self-plagiarism. It just doesn't feel like there's anything new here, and it doesn't even live up to the personality of the things its imitating.

Granted one episode isn't a lot to judge by, but I might just wait till the end of the season and wait to see what other people think.
i feel like utena was the one good thing ikuhara was ever going to do and now he's just a man with nothing but obvious symbolism and a weird view of lesbianism to his name

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

So far much less rape, other than that :shrug:
what do you think the bear mauling is a metaphor for

ask yourself honestly

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

anyway my problem with penguindrum is that it sucks

or to be more accurate: utena used its metaphors and symbolism and motifs and whatever other fancy words you wanna add in there to advance the story and characters. you thought about a bit of symbolism and figured out a thing. that's how symbolism is supposed to work. they were obvious enough to be easily figured out but well-used enough to be worthy of thought.

penguindrum used its metaphors and symbolism to advance the metaphors and symbolism. there's no meat, no neat revelations hidden beneath the surface, just more impenetrable layers of bullshit. it's got half the actual substance of utena and ten times the nonsense cloaking it.

im not one of those people who thinks utena is the deepest anime ever made, but that's exactly my point - it wasn't trying to be. it was using those things, but it was using them for a reason, not because ikuhara was masturbating furiously over twin peaks reruns and sailor moon yuri doujins.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also the sailor moon anime is way better than the manga but wasn't it a result of people telling the original creator 'lol you're a vaginahaver' and giving her next to no input

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Talho and the other adult lady might kiss later
gidget? isnt she like 16

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I'm happy Effectronica and Dr. Paper have become friends. Space Flower might have been onto something.
so when do they revolution :greencube:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

OnimaruXLR posted:

I mean, you've got a bizarre carnivorous threat to all human life, a wall that's pretty clearly part metaphor, infiltrators, violent death of the ostensible protagonist's loved one in the first episode... uh... a hunting rifle... ?
Dragon Ball Z?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

beautiful

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i wonder how bullying could relate to homosexuality

hmmm

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Effectronica posted:

Yeah, the-thirty-dollar-BYOB-agreed-emote.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah but on the other hand ikuhara has quotes like

quote:

if I have a guy in the show, the love relationship gets to have a bigger role than the show

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

no see it's okay because Iku 'I gave her big tits because I wanted an oppai mousepad' hara is making it

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

it serves a purpose, uh, sometimes, but it also totally exists to give dudes huge boners

like nobody was going 'drat, this is going to get creeps off, but we must do it... for our craft...'

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Beef Waifu posted:

There is not a single Japanese writer who is making statements against fanservice using it. Like, they might use it as a punchline or something, but no one in Japan is like "Oh yeah, fanservice is mega bad, bro."
When Miyazaki fights, he fights alone.

He's given everything he can.

There are no more heroes left in Japan.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

show's theme: ikuhara's huuuuge erection

show's images: titties

show's idea: fapfapfapfapfapfap

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Space Flower posted:

EDIT: I don't want to waste a post on pure vitriol but I'll keep going—your shitposts continuously irk me. What is your angle, bro? Are you completely ignorant of the cultural context behind this show? Are you just rusing for 'teh lulz'?
This show is so coherently fighting the objectification of women in various ways, and you want to ruin it all just because you can't look a girl in the loving eyes when you speak to her. Why, man? Why can't we have nice things?
i'm a girl, you dipshit

and a lesbian at that actually

so, yeah, sorry i dont feel like ikuhara-sama is coming down from on-high to lead me to the promised land via anime titties

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Effectronica posted:

If it helps, I prefer your posts to Space Flower jabbering about how this show is giving objectification and patriarchy the ole one-two to the gut.
ty

but yeah this show has obvious themes and messages, im not arguing that

im saying that the way they're executed is awful. ive got nothing against sex, utena had plenty of weird sexuality in it too, but the difference is in Utena it felt like it was all there for a reason, that it was being used to make a point. in this show it feels like shameless pandering. People keep going 'well, it's Ikuhara, he wouldn't do that!" but what the hell has Ikuhara done to earn that? He's done Sailor Moon, which was a manga adaptation where everyone involved basically barred the actual creator of the manga from having any input because she was a vaginahaver, he did Utena, which I love, and then he did Penguindrum, which is a show that happened, and now he's making .

im not saying we should string him up by his gills and force him to breathe air, if he wants to make a weird titty show then let him, but people acting like he's the new god of feminism is the most annoying poo poo. If people find some sort of meaning and comfort in the show, awesome, but right now this thread feels like a bunch of people jacking it and feeling good about themselves, because they're getting off and they're fighting for homosexual rights in Japan.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Effectronica posted:

i guess it;s about time to find some geicomi that are autobiographical so we can have a thread about plica, rica 'tte kanji!, etc.
i know what these words mean

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

lesbians are hot
yes

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Effectronica posted:

geicomi is what japanese people call comics about gay men that are aimed at gay men. plica and rica 'tte kanji! are autobiographical yuri series.
are they any good

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Effectronica posted:

plica's surprisingly thoughtful and honest (and has nifty watercolor art), rica 'tte kanji i don't remember as much but i remember it being a cut about the usual.

the best part about japan lumping together all lesbian stuff into one subgenre is that cool stuff gets translated along with the class-s poo poo aimed at straight chicks
ill be honest and say that sometimes the class-s stuff can be cute so long as nobody actually dies/otherwise 'leaves it all behind' at the end

which i guess makes it not class s but you know

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i dont think that last one is from yurikuma

also what does that guy need a tokyopop bag that big for

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cao Ni Ma posted:

isnt the new sailor moon more faithful to the manga and it also sucks horribly?
spoilers: the manga is kinda bad and the 90s anime improves on it in every way

my favorite part of the manga is how haruka and michiru are both noncharacters and also really awkwardly dance around lesbianism by having michiru go 'haruka is neither a man or a woman... but she's kind of a dude... but sort of a girl...' and then never having them show any real affection for each other onscreen

meanwhile in the 90s anime

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Effectronica posted:

what translation did you read because they're pretty affectionate in their later appearances
i only read up to the end of the sailor moon s stuff so i guess that's on me

either way i definitely liked the anime more, the characters felt more alive even outside of haruka/michiru.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

considering how bum a rep she got on the 90s anime, i wouldn't be surprised if takeuchi basically told them that they could either make a direct 1:1 copy/paste or they could gently caress off.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

really this entire argument is about nothing because yuri is a nebulous concept that encompasses a lot of things and the definition is vague and blurry at best

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

utena is the only ikuhara worth watching

Space Flower posted:

I'm not taking a high road, either. I felt very foolish after getting defensive and jumping on Endorph earlier. I was just throwing baseless accusations because the "this show is bad and you should feel bad for liking it" posting got to me and I lashed out irrationally. So I could just be projecting here. Sorry.

no offense dude but if someone making a joke about an anime makes you defensive maybe you should chill

Endorph fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Mar 14, 2015

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Beef Waifu posted:

The first dub episode hit and hoo boy is it something.
good something or bad something

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i watched a show about teenage lesbian rape, but the thought of a polygamous relationship disgusts me - a normal person

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kaelan Zero posted:

Your general criticism is something I actually would aim somewhat at Morishima's work
akiko morishima wrote a manga in which a 20-year-old and a 30-year-old date, fall in love, have sex, say things like 'Of all the people I've dated, you're the one I love the most," and then ends on them saying they were probably destined for each other, with nothing bad on the horizon whatsoever - the implication is that they're going to be spending the rest of their lives together.

Admittedly i haven't read all of morishima's manga but come on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

to be honest if ikuhara wanted to make a point against the 'all lesbian romance is broken up by death' thing he would have just had anthy walking around in the background of every single shot and then the last episode you can see anthy and utena holding hands in the background

welp, bye

• Locked thread