Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Ok that op is not even trying to mildly construe itself as figurative. It's just straight up underage naked girls licking each others toes.

Yeah...

I think I'll just check back in on this later, in case things somehow turn out to not be that bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Violet_Sky posted:

Where are you people watching this? Crunchyroll has nothing.

EDIT: I'm in Canada, so I guess I can't see it.

I didn't, but someone posted the op from Youtube.

Raws are out if you want, just no subs yet.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Holy gently caress that was Ikuhara as hell. Also the young virgin girl mcguffin seems to have died by bear already, and I am confused.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Insurrectionist posted:

Holy lol this thread.

Anyway a bit slow first episode but it picked up towards the end so that's okay.

I think this thread is going to more entertainment than the show.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Trolling/Bullying

Arashi (storm) is used in japan to describe these. The class representative saying that people have been ignoring the storm for too long just sort of reinforces that image, since japan is notorious for having incredibly bad bullying. How that relates to lesbian bears is beyond me, when it looks like it was the bears that were doing it in the first place.

Huh, didn't know that.

As far as the bears' place in it, I guess they are the bullies, but it's too early to say much. But it is obvious from this episode that they are hunting down unaccompanied people which you could translate to the predatory nature of bullies.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

I talk about that in the very next sentence. They represent the 'psycho lesbian' stereotype, which is indeed hosed up and pretty much the only way overt lesbian sexuality is allowed to be expressed, as something evil and destructive (but totes sexy, you guys). Think the busty nurse who tries to murder the Major in Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, or Nina Einstein the racist table-fucker in Code Geass. In traditional yuri, you either get to be in a chaste, sexless relationship almost indistinguishable from close friendship, or you're an oversexed, immature, predatory freak. If you're lucky, you might get the 'sexy rapist' treatment of a seme (top) in yaoi, but things are probably still going to end horribly for you - the only difference is that it'll be treated as a tragedy rather than something to celebrate (think Chikane from Kannazuki no Miko, which is a pretty iconic yuri work even if it's kind of poo poo). I would not be at all surprised if a theme in the story is of Kureha and the bears finding a healthy, affectionate way to express their sexuality even as the authorities of both sides try to deny it.

Namtab posted:

I know you did and I'm not having a pop at you.

This is an anime where at one point two girls rape a third. This may be symbolism or social commentary or what have you but at the same time it's a rape. What's worse is that it's a rape that's presented in a very fanservicy way and that is not good.

People rightly complained in the kill la kill thread about ragyo molesting satsuki, people talked about whatever it was that happened in the first episode of cross ange (anal fisting to humiliate the female lead?). Forgive me for thinking that this isn't actually any better.

I'm going to give it the benefit of the doubt and hope that it was just first episode otaku-bait, but bearing in mind there seems to be a (male) yuri court that seems to be allowed to determine whether the two bears can rape humans I think it might be a trend that continues and that this anim will continue to sexualise rape.

I'd qualify it as quality storytelling albeit with disgustingly tasteless directing. There are better ways that bit could have been handled, but Ikuhara went for the most blatantly hosed up.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Effectronica posted:

Sure, and Utena has things to say about the magical girl genre as well. But I'm wary about assigning everything a sexual meaning given that it's possible to read the title as "Lesbian (version of) Bear Storm", with Bear Storm being the name of a historical novel about a rampage where a grizzly killed and ate seven people in Hokkaido and one of the survivors spent the rest of his live killing bears in revenge. The eating may be eating, and not actually sexual.

Yes, because Ikuhara is totally literal in every aspect of Utena and Penguindrum,.

You have to be pretty drat dense or actively trying not to see that scene as overt, in-your-face, "DO YOU GET WHAT I'M TRYING TO SAY HERE?" sexual imagery about rape.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Put simply, the rape imagery is itself symbolic of some point.

However, I just wish it wasn't rape imagery that was used to make the point. Just show us the bears eating a girl, that makes the point well enough without rape imagery.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

but with the themes being addressed here, rape imagery is pretty much inevitable.

That was less imagery of rape than it was almost actual rape. I understand having imagery subtly implying rape, or maybe contextualizing attempted rape, but that was toeing the like of being actual rape.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jan 10, 2015

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Rand Brittain posted:

I think it's okay to say "high-artsy, high-fartsy psychedelic psychosexual metaphor-heavy animation about lesbians is not for me." It probably was not intended to be for everyone.

My problem with it is that it seems intended as fanservice, which is really hosed up since it's rape and sets a bad precedent for the show. I'll stop discussing it if it's annoying you, but I feel it's a point that needs to be made.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Beef Waifu posted:

How bad (AKA good) is this show?

:shrug:

Solid, if maybe a bit off-putting, setup to something that promises to be interesting.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

a cartoon duck posted:

the manga is extremely cool and good and someone should translate more of it so the thread can be about that instead of the anime

I will concur with this because I can't stand the anime anymore but there seems to be something interesting here.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Harettazetta posted:

If you hated KLK for the stuff it did, and are defending this show, congratulations.

Keep the hypocrisy train rolling.

At least KLK was quite a spectacle outside of its absurd sexualization, so it could still be enjoyed by turning your brain off. This show cannot claim as much.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

trucutru posted:

Isn't he the "Nisemonogatari is not a fanservic-y show" dude?

How is this a valid opinion? :psyduck:

That coming from someone who loves the poo poo out of (almost) everything -monogatari.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Rand Brittain posted:

I think that's a simplification of his opinion.

I would probably describe his thesis as "what's going on in Nisemonogatari isn't really fanservice because fanservice is definitionally only there to please fans and for no other reason, and all the weird stuff in Nisemonogatari is there to make a point about intimacy or the use of the camera and is therefore something different; except the stuff about Mayoi because that stuff is totally fanservice and she is a terrible, terrible character and I would be substantially less ashamed of liking this show if she weren't in it."

Hmm. I think he gives the show some undeserved credit, but he makes good points.

It's not so much that none of that was fanservice because it was not purposeless except to titillate the viewer, but that Shinbou was trying to make statements about the importance of directing in sexually charged moments, and about the distinction between fanservice and plot-relevant sexualization. Regardless, it's still a having cake/eating it too situation.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Woah, like Hitchcock's Psycho Mrs. Bates?

:psyduck:

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Well, this thread went downhill fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Drinkfist posted:

Where is that No Game No Life thread. That was full of fun people with really bright concepts. A beacon of goon.

I'm pretty sure everyone in that thread took it for granted that this was 90% a T&A fanservice show so we didn't bother saying much about it after a few episodes.

• Locked thread