Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I am so excited for this show. Utena is easily my favorite anime ever, and Penguindrum is really good too. I guess what I'm saying is, Ikuhara's my bro and I've got his back no matter how crazy this is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

This makes me want to update my avatar to a new Ikuhara.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAfS-qoivKY

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

edit: This is OK so far, but I desperately want to like it more, because Ikuhara.

Yes_Cantaloupe fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jan 14, 2015

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Darth Walrus posted:

Notes on an interview with Ikuhara and Morishima about YKA. It seems the latter was pretty influential on the direction of the work, even if the manga she's doing on her own is very different. Interestingly, it was her idea to have the Court of Yuri as guys - Ikuhara was originally thinking of them being women with male voices.

Good stuff, thanks for the link.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
So the girks praying to Kumaria-sama is supposed to remind one of Marimite, right?

Darth Walrus posted:

New episode means new Ekens and Creamer posts. Anyone finding these useful/interesting? I've kind of been throwing them out there, and I can stop if nobody wants 'em.

I've been reading the blog writeups, but not the ANN ones. Good stuff, nice focus on the imagery of particular scenes.

Yes_Cantaloupe fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Feb 11, 2015

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

a kitten posted:

gif roundup

Even with all this, I've yet to see a gif that grabs me and makes me want a new Ikuhara avatar enough to make it happen.

Except for yours Sakurazuka, God drat you.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Truga posted:

Another gif:

Kuma Shock!

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
It's Ikuhara. If it seems like it might be/be a metaphor for sex, it's probably sex.

Mymla posted:

James Bond is never actually seen putting his penis in a woman, so he's definitely a virgin.

He is my pure waifu.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
This is show definitely isn't what I'd call entry-level Ikuhara. His stuff does make more sense once you sit back and think on it when its done, but YKA is (to me, so far) more opaque than Utena or Penguindrum. Utena really is the place to start. It's also the best anime.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

You don't post much, but you make it count. Interesting thoughts.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Finally was in a mood to finish this show, so I did. I liked it overall. Definitely a weaker Ikuhara, though. Others have done a fine job discussing its strengths and weaknesses, so I'll abstain (I'm bad at expressing my thoughts on fiction anyway).

Oh Snapalope posted:

Paraphrasing from a post I saw on a random IRC channel:

This though, was pretty much my first thought when it was revealed that Kureha had wished for Ginko to become human.

I especially liked these posts and the discussions stemming from them:

Thuryl posted:

I can see why a lot of people are reading the ending as representing Ginko and Kureha's death, but especially in the context of all of Ikuhara's previous work I think it can reasonably be taken at face value: if being with the person you love requires you to walk away from your whole world, it's possible to do that, find people willing to follow you and maybe even change the world you left behind in the process. If we were supposed to think Ginko and Kureha had died, that one girl walking out on the speech at the end and following in Kureha's footsteps by caring for an abandoned bear wouldn't be presented in such a positive light. The whole show symbolically connects social exclusion with death, but I think it's possible to read the ending as making the point that that the two aren't equivalent, even if it looks that way from the perspective of those inside the system. Hell, considering the appearances of Sumika, Lulu and Milne in the ending, I think it's possible to see all the death in the series as symbolic rather than literal: the excluded girls are ultimately the ones who escape, while the invisible girls make their own world smaller and lonelier (look how empty the classroom is in the last couple of episodes!) I think that's still an important and relevant message for plenty of queer people today.

I guess if I have a complaint about the ending it's that thematically it's kind of a retread of the Utena movie's ending, although I do feel like YKA does a little more with its setting rather than just using it as a backdrop for the protagonists.

Gyre posted:

I can see it as a closeted/out thing. Kureha wanted Ginko to be closeted so they could be together, like a lesbian couple hiding themselves as "friends". Kureha was the first closeted person in this world to say "no, screw this, if we can't be together as ourselves then what's the point?" and came out. Them getting shot at are the girls freaking out that there's an out lesbian couple right there who aren't caring what everyone says. When Kureha and Ginko ascend, it's basically them going "gently caress getting poo poo on for being ourselves, we reject the system totally". Laser girl starts rejecting the system right after, because even though the school sees "scaring" Kureha and Ginko away as a shaky victory she knows the truth.

It's admittedly a bit tangled but I think that's kinda what they were aiming at.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

I could see some variation of this becoming my new Ikuhara avatar.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I'm glad I finished it, but the ending didn't cause dramatic reassessment of the earlier parts of the series or anything. If you were enjoying it, you'll probably enjoy the ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Society was pretty obviously the problem all along. Their entire class got together in the first episode to have an organized vote to exclude the "other." It was pretty blatant.

• Locked thread