Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Just like last year! Post your resolutions for the new year over the next couple weeks, then I hide the thread in a secret place. Then next December, we see how we did!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I'm hoping to find a new RPG group to play with since my old one broke up a few months back. Probably online since the only thing that gets played locally is lousy Pathfinder modules.

Maybe even get to finally play a PbtA game, maybe even one of the games I kickstarted.

This thread works too.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I didn't do good on mine from last year :(

1. Watch Back to the Future to not get banned.

2. Start writing down some stuff for my setting.

That's it, resolutions are dumb.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

This year my plans are to:

1) Play/run more diverse games. I run 13th Age for organized play every week, and and have a Fate game coming up, but I'd like to delve deeper into the well of Fate and PbtA games.

2) Actually finish writing something.

3) Lose the weight I originally lost at the beginning of 2014 and regained at the end of 2014.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
As per last year:

TG-related:
Paint more
Play Dungeon World if possible
Try not to ALWAYS be hard up on resources in every single resource management game

Non-TG-related
Exercise more, eat less
Do more woodwork
Do more DIY
Try to avoid taking up any more hobbies!

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
Only doing one this year...

Ship Spirit of 77 on time and under budget.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

TradGames:
Try to finish the year with less poo poo on my "to do" pile than I started with. Just managed that last year, but that was by turning down freelance work (I know, these diamond shoes are too tight).
Write & publish at least two games for myself, rather than through OPP
Play the games I got through the TradGames Secret Santa, and other games that I wouldn't normally play
Run a game for a bunch of people I've not played with before, outside of a con.

Non-Tradgames
Start cycling again. Buggered my legs a couple of years ago — walking with a stick for six months — which got me out of the habit, and I've not got back into it.
If not, at least exercise more
Cook more, different stuff
Make room to display more gundams

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Kiss a girl.

Maybe paint some miniatures and get some Bolt Action on too.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Continue my slow, inevitable crawl towards oblivion.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!
My New Year's Resolution:

1. Complete Arcana High

2. Run/play in a more diverse set of games. 13th Age, Deadlands Reloaded, Dungeon Crawl Classics, Dungeon World, Eclipse Phase, Mouse Guard, and Spears of the Dawn at the very least.

3. Start reading more good fantasy books. The ones I had in mind are Game of Thrones, Wizard of Earthsea, Lord of the Rings, and Perdido Street Station. Also, catch up on some good shows on Hulu.

Yeah, that's it, but I want to keep my resolutions simpler than last year's.

Libertad! fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jan 2, 2015

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Although I said in the old thread that I should do the exact same resolutions this year, since I'm posting here anyway I'll be daring and set myself some new ones.

1. Sell more copies of my book. I have managed to sell double digits to date, I'd like that to get into triple. So let's say my goal is 100 more copies sold. Tell your friends!
2. Publish two more books, minimum. I have one almost finished, so I'm basically 50% there already! Well, 40%. More than 0% at any rate.
3. Vary my portfolio with some trad games stuff. Books are fun, but I still have a big love for settings and systems. The former more than the latter these days. I want something like a big, meaty splatbook up there for people to peruse and enjoy. With art, maybe.
4. Last year my weight made a mockery of me by refusing to budge below 100kg. I am by no means a rotund fellow, I have a lot of height to go with that weight, but I want to be slim, trim, and eventually able to arm-wrestle any other author out there. Sure, I could probably take a few of 'em as I am now, but have you seen the pythons on China Miéville? I gotta start hitting the gym or something. Dude would destroy me.
5. Be more inclusive in my work. Sure, I avoid the generic white dude protagonist in my work. But I have yet to write a trans protagonist, for instance. That needs to change, although with my current track record of writing pace, it might not be this year. Gonna try, though.
6. Run a Goddamn PbP game here on the forums. I've been away too long.

I may edit this later to add in another resolution or two, if I think of any before the cut-off date (whenever that is).

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
1. Face to face gaming. I haven't done any in the last two years. Roll20 is great and all but I need to have some more human contact.
2. Play or Run something *World and not whine.
3. Finish editing God's Fire and get it at least up on DTRPG.

Also:

Fuego Fish posted:

Although I said in the old thread that I should do the exact same resolutions this year, since I'm posting here anyway I'll be daring and set myself some new ones.

1. Sell more copies of my book. I have managed to sell double digits to date, I'd like that to get into triple. So let's say my goal is 100 more copies sold. Tell your friends!.

Just recommended this book to my sister who's a Children's/YA librarian in the East Bay.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

1. Lose 30 pounds. Do this by monitoring my diet and trying to lift a weight at least once a week.

2. Actually run Mageball.

3. Sell three paintings.

4. Find a job that doesn't make me feel angry, sad, and powerless all the time.

5. Kiss someone that thinks I'm wonderful.

Reene fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jan 2, 2015

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Lord Frisk posted:

1. Quit smoking. Again.
2. Make more money.
3. Save more money. See 1.
4. Run Marvel Heroic.

I quit smoking, made a slight bit more money, and saved more than I ever have (also 401(k)). Haven't run a single RPG in the year 2014, though I logged 250 different board game plays with 46 different games. That tally is from May 2014 to present.

This year?

1. Keep a semi regular exercise regimen
2. Read more books
3. Find a better job
4. Keep my board game spending to a minimum

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

• Finish my FoW Russians in time for the 70th anniversary of the Battle of Berlin
  • Run games better
  • play a monsterhearts
  • Go to New York with gaifu
  • get better at computers

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
1. Wake up every day cuter than I did the day before, in some way, shape, or form.

That is all.

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***
TG Related - Run an entire superhero campaign, and actually finish it.
Try out Iron Kingdoms.
If the superhero thing is successful, run something in Double Cross later.

Not Tg Related -
Keep on the diet.
Keep on the diet.
Seriously keep on the diet.
Not kidding. Diet.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
Once Strike! is finished, assuming everything is successful, I resolve to put out one mini-expansion for it every month. That should keep me plenty busy.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Talkc posted:

TG Related - Run an entire superhero campaign, and actually finish it.

Do this here, pbp, and using "Worlds in Peril" the pbta supers game.

Also, I will app for this instantly.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

Evil Mastermind posted:

1) Play/run more diverse games. I run 13th Age for organized play every week, and and have a Fate game coming up, but I'd like to delve deeper into the well of Fate and PbtA games.

thespaceinvader posted:

Play Dungeon World if possible

Libertad! posted:

2. Run/play in a more diverse set of games. 13th Age, Deadlands Reloaded, Dungeon Crawl Classics, Dungeon World, Eclipse Phase, Mouse Guard, and Spears of the Dawn at the very least.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

2. Play or Run something *World and not whine.

So uhhh, hey let's all play some Dungeon World together, I guess..?

My resolution is basically to play some poo poo that is not D&D. Yes, I'm that guy.

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!

Error 404 posted:

Do this here, pbp, and using "Worlds in Peril" the pbta supers game.

Also, I will app for this instantly.

Sadly im doing it on roll 20 with my raidcall friends.

Speaking of play by posts. Sometime this year i should sign up for a PBP campaign and participate. ( I should add that to the list ).

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I'd like to play an RPG that isn't D&D 3rd ed. It's the only game we've played more than one session of since 2001 when I got into the tabletop hobby and I'm goddamn sick of it. I have like a dozen different games that have never been played because none of my friends are ever willing to give them a try :( I don't even care if it's pbp or face to face I just want to try something new. Preferably not a fantasy setting but I'll take anything at this point.

I try to lurk the pbp section but anything that sounds neat fills up before I notice it's recruiting.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Finish painting at least three wargaming armies to completion.

And for this I'ma bust out the full legalism. A full army "to completion" includes A) All the legal models required to run that army, B) Enough models to fit into a "standard" play size for that system - 2000 points for Kings of War, 1500-1850 for Warhammer 40k, 50 points for Warmachine/Hordes, etc. This does include models I have already painted and armies that have been "half plastic" for a while as well as entirely new ones.

And I'll make that my only one.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

Len posted:

I try to lurk the pbp section but anything that sounds neat fills up before I notice it's recruiting.

Bookmark the recruitment megathread and then actually check your bookmarks.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
Paint all my Malifaux minis.

Get my mecha RPG into a state where it's theoretically runnable by someone other than myself before Metatopia.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
1. Complete at least one pet project.
2. Do not screw up the raising of my daughter.

That's all.

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

1. Stay active and post frequently in the games I take part in... from this point on.

2. Graduate college.

3. Actually play Dungeon World with an actual good idea of what I'm doing.

4. Get buff.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
DM Stealth Train

Choke a dude with my legs

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
From the other thread:

Play a character that isn't a pretty-boy bishonen, as shocking as that sounds.
Actually try to run a game like I keep saying I will.
Actually be the cheerful, talkative, and friendly person I pretend I am on IRC IRL :suicide:

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!

Davin Valkri posted:

Play a character that isn't a pretty-boy bishonen, as shocking as that sounds.

This is a new years resolution that I, myself, couldn't commit to.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh
Writing an actual story would be nice, and I'd also like to try running live games though my work hours get in the way of that more than anything else.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD

Talkc posted:

This is a new years resolution that I, myself, couldn't commit to.

Oh good, I thought I was alone regarding that. :sparkles: :hf: :sparkles:

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!

Davin Valkri posted:

Oh good, I thought I was alone regarding that. :sparkles: :hf: :sparkles:

Pictures I used for the last 3 RPG characters i played. This was my attempt to NOT play characters with White hair, who are also bishonen.

I have no idea what i would play if i didn't stick to this habit.

Adding another New Years Resolution: Don't Play a White Haired character unless they are old.

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

1. Survive my own wedding.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

BrainParasite posted:

1. Survive my own wedding.

I did it last year. Rehearse your speech well, avoid drinking too much, have a friend or family member on hand who you trust to help you do both of those things. You'll be fine.

Congratulations!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

thespaceinvader posted:

I did it last year. Rehearse your speech well, avoid drinking too much, have a friend or family member on hand who you trust to help you do both of those things. You'll be fine.

Congratulations!

Also listen to your best man when he tells you with plenty of advance warning that Men's Wearhouse got one of the tux colors wrong. That way it isn't an hour before the wedding and you start freaking out.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
gently caress it. I am throwing my hat into the ring.

1.Run a CYOA in SA in which I write ten significant responses. Subject of CYOA should be from one of the following: Wasteland Idea 1, Wraith, Dark Sun, Necromancer Idea 1.

2. Finish write up of Degenesis and post it in tg chat. Deadline Feb 1st.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

P.d0t posted:

So uhhh, hey let's all play some Dungeon World together, I guess..?

My resolution is basically to play some poo poo that is not D&D. Yes, I'm that guy.

I'd be up for it on Roll20, but I'd rather be a player than a GM due to the fact that I've been reading the core book on and off. That, and LaTorra advises GMs to read the thing in its entirety.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Talkc posted:

Pictures I used for the last 3 RPG characters i played. This was my attempt to NOT play characters with White hair, who are also bishonen.

I have no idea what i would play if i didn't stick to this habit.

Well, I did say "A character that is not a pretty boy bishonen", not "NO character that is", so I just need to pick one and then I can go back to bishie-ing it up.

And for equivalency's sake...

A xenobiology student in The Deleter's "Miskatonic Inc!" Atomic Robo game

A stupidly rich airhead in walruscat's cyberpunky Monsterhearts game

An AGI in a pretty body as a chara submission to Forums Terrorist's Eclipse Phase game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
Yeah discussing this with one player in our group, it was basically described as "I have the market cornered" on pretty boys.

Looking at your characters is like looking in a drat mirror.

• Locked thread