Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!
Gaming:
-Run a game online for geographically distributed friends
-Polish and publish my first scenario
-Write up a con scenario
-Run at least 3 systems I haven't tried yet (Eclipse Phase, I'm looking at you!)
-Play in a drat game instead of running all of them

Life:
-Run 3 5Ks
-Put together a decent budget
-Finish putting together my room and new home office in my house
-Set up a firm date to start taking classes again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Talkc posted:

Yeah discussing this with one player in our group, it was basically described as "I have the market cornered" on pretty boys.

Looking at your characters is like looking in a drat mirror.

If it's any consolation I like the pretty boys and I sometimes app them too.

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Angered & displeased, he went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, insulted & cursed him with rude, harsh words.

When this was said, the Blessed One said to him:

"Motherfucker I will -end- you"

Here are some Trad Games related Resolutions I'd like to follow through on:

Work on a dungeon a day, at least 30 minutes
Finish that board game I'd designed a while ago.
Finish a setting.
Finish painting my empire army.
Paint my bones goblins and kobolds.
Make a character for every RPG I own and chronicle the experience

Quantumfate fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jan 4, 2015

Strong Mouse
Jun 11, 2012

You disrespect us. You drag corpses around. You steal, and you hurt feelings!

RRRRRRRAAAAARGH!

Prepare to die!
I guess I may as well do this.

Try running a game for my friends in a setting I create. I have only ever run a couple sessions of Eberron 3.5, and want to try something newer.
Try to play another PbP, though that won't happen until near the summer starting.
Graduate college.

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Despair brings the puttyknife down.
Traditional Games Oriented
  • I'd like to own Hero Quest and Nightmare: The Video Board game again.
  • I want to run or at least take part in a Dinner Party Murder Mystery Game.
  • I'd like to run a campaign in The One Ring
  • have had a game idea in my mind for quite some time based on the video game Monster Hunter. I would like to finish it or at least get a print and play kit ready for playtesting.
  • Finally get in contact with Mayfair Games about my dissertation even though it isn't specifically games oriented
  • Go to Gencon
  • Paint up Super Dungeon Explore
  • Make a character for every RPG I own and chronicle the experience
  • Go to a bunch of Netrunner Tournaments
Non-Games Oriented
  • Finally get my adviser to plan things instead of running around screaming
  • Finish my proposal and primary investigation of my dissertation
  • Outline a book idea i've had for a little while
  • Publish 3-5 journal articles.
  • Present at at least 4 conferences.
  • Run the Rocky Balboa Run.
I think everything on this list is more than doable though not without some blood, sweat, and tears. My PhD is so close and I am already so tired but every time I push myself it has been ultra rewarding. To run a game on top of all the pressures of my program would mostly be to see just how far I can push myself. Thus far, I have found that I can push myself quite a bit though my quality suffers horribly.

PuttyKnife fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jan 6, 2015

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Angered & displeased, he went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, insulted & cursed him with rude, harsh words.

When this was said, the Blessed One said to him:

"Motherfucker I will -end- you"

I actually really quite like that making a character idea. I think I will append my prior resolutions!

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

In 2016 I want to:

-Still be GM'ing for Dresden Files
-Still be playing a bunch of Exalted
-Still be working no matter how much I hate my job
-Still be going to the gym 2-3 times a week, and looking like I have been

(Basic life maintenance, been doing this stuff since 2013)

-Get married (after 5+ years of being engaged)
-Get Platinum on Summoner's Rift in League of Legends
-Finish a novel and start shopping it to publishers
-Run Monsterhearts and not have it die because of me
-Cosplay at Comicon this year

Carrying over some stuff from the previous because it's stuff that I want to "keep up" doing, and some long term goals.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Sion posted:

1 - Drink more.

Fukken done.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
TG
-Improve GM skills
-Start, and finish, an entire mini-campaign of at least 3 months/10 sessions
-Find a way to make a little money from TG instead of spending all my existing money on it

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost
TG-related:
-Play or run WHFRP3 finally (I've impulse-bought the entire line over the last few holiday sales without even knowing if I like it :doh: )
-Get some use out of at least one of the LCGs I've bought into over the past few years

Non-TG:
-Lose 15 pounds

Scrimsax
Nov 29, 2014
It's depressingly simple, but I'd like to finish a campaign, instead of having it fall apart like every other game I've been part of.

Non TG related, I'd like to see my GPA get back above 3.5 instead of being lazy.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

This is all possible! And ambitious!
- Run another 5k, get less doughy
- Build a full WWI table with terrain, paint German and British armies for it
- ST a Wraith game for my friends
- Paint the best Khador army I can

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Gaming:

Play or run a regular, continuous plot RPG of at least 6-10 sessions (this is the big one).
Try more online/PBP gaming.
Play way more Sails of Glory.
Try to start collecting/painting some historical minis and then play games with them (probably Flames of War, possibly something ancient, but no fantasy or scifi)
Complete at least one of my project games and give it away somehow.

Non-gaming:

Average no fewer than 2 BJJ classes per week for the year (not barring injuries - I will need to catch up if I miss stuff).
Sword-fight at least a bit (with a group that focuses on the fighting rather than costumes and stuff, probably HEMA this time). I start and stop this every few years.
Go on more actual adventures (like, hiking, climbing, camping, etc) like I used to.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.
Get my Master's thesis done so I'll finally have a marginally less useless degree.
Actually finish one of my various homebrew RPGs and publish it in some form or another.
Play a campaign from start to finish instead of constantly starting new ones that trail off because we can never schedule games beyond a couple of sessions.
Related to the above, actually find a stable group with a steady gaming schedule.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
TG:
I'm going to put together a board game group in my new, fair city and try to cut back on spending now that I've put a collection together I'm happy with. (Except Vlaada.)
I'd like to be more of a produce of content than a taker, so I'm going to make something game related within the next year.

non-TG:
Perform more shows with my group(s) and figure out how to make my artistic career take over my boring (and crushingly low-paying) regular career.
Develop one healthy, weight-losing habit per season.

A Major Fucker
Mar 10, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
To everyone trying to lose weight: it's very, very unlikely that you will. Here's why in a nutshell. Adipocytes, or fat cells, store a variable amount of fat. When they get too full, they split to make more. When they get empty, they stop releasing leptin, the hormone that makes you stop feeling hungry.

Fat people have more adipocytes than skinny people. Losing weight doesn't reduce your number, it just reduces the fat stored in each cell. So if you're significantly below the highest weight you've ever been, your fat cells are never going to produce leptin and you'll be hungry forever. I'm sure some of you have personally experienced this. It's why, even though it's possible to lose weight, everyone eventually gains it back.

Here's a National institute of Health article about the (un)successfulness of weight loss programs http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1580453 . It shows what I said, that even though people can lose weight they will gain it back.

Here's a much larger study by the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition reaching the same conclusions: http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/74/5/579.full

Happy 2015.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Did someone ask?

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
...or you could head over to TFLC/YLLS and take their advice instead.

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Despair brings the puttyknife down.
Well, at least the username matched how I felt about them after I read that post.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
I can deal with being a little hungrier on occasion if it means I can look at myself in the mirror and think "Goddamn I've got some sweet abs."

A Major Fucker
Mar 10, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fuego Fish posted:

I can deal with being a little hungrier on occasion if it means I can look at myself in the mirror and think "Goddamn I've got some sweet abs."

Well, statistically, there's about a 1 in 500 chance you can deal with it.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Please consult You Look Like poo poo/The Goon Doctor for fitness and medical advice, tia.

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

Curses from all directions!
This past year I basically accomplished nothing other than maintaining the status quo. I worked on stuff, but I never actually managed to finish anything. I'd like this year to be different. By this time last year, I would like to have accomplished the following:

1) Get a presentable/playable version of my jrpg tabletop emulator game, Endless Adventures, done. Even if it's only done with the 8-bit aesthetic rather than the 16-bit one I'd originally intended.

2) A holdover from last year's resolutions that didn't happen: Release a core rules version of the Circumstance System.

3) Revisit some other long-idle backburner projects like Tale of Phantasmal Land and Galavant! Space Hijinx.

4) Keep drinking the same or, rather, at least avoid drinking more.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

A Major Fucker posted:

To everyone trying to lose weight: it's very, very unlikely that you will. Here's why in a nutshell. Adipocytes, or fat cells, store a variable amount of fat. When they get too full, they split to make more. When they get empty, they stop releasing leptin, the hormone that makes you stop feeling hungry.

Fat people have more adipocytes than skinny people. Losing weight doesn't reduce your number, it just reduces the fat stored in each cell. So if you're significantly below the highest weight you've ever been, your fat cells are never going to produce leptin and you'll be hungry forever. I'm sure some of you have personally experienced this. It's why, even though it's possible to lose weight, everyone eventually gains it back.

Here's a National institute of Health article about the (un)successfulness of weight loss programs http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1580453 . It shows what I said, that even though people can lose weight they will gain it back.

Here's a much larger study by the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition reaching the same conclusions: http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/74/5/579.full

Happy 2015.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

I disagree with Rasper because I think weight loss it's as much a matter of human willpower as biology but the probie was uncalled for.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
http://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=188

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

maybe you should tell him to contact an admin if there's any disagreement on a punishment, like the forum rules state, instead of passive aggressively tapping silently on the sign that points to qcs

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

I disagree with Rasper because I think weight loss it's as much a matter of human willpower as biology but the probie was uncalled for.

yeah, fwiw, he's full of poo poo (from personal experience)

idk about the probation, but it's only a day and he's posting on his parachutes anyway, so who cares.

Esdesu
Sep 14, 2014

TG related:
  • Host at least 1 games night a month with friends/family
  • Stick to my budget and buy 4 new board/card games by the end of the year
  • Vary my current collection with different types of games

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Miniatures:
- paint more than I buy
- Warmahordes: paint at least 2 full 50-point list for Legion, plus my 1.5 battlebox of Cryx
- Infinity: from March onwards, have a fully-painted army in all tournaments I attend; paint at least 2 sectorials to 95%+; paint 50%+ of my terrain
- finish all my Malifaux and Saga Vikings and currently-owned boardgame minis
- finish all the oaths I failed and still have the minis for
- finish my wargaming table, get enough in-setting terrain to play any miniatures wargame I own

Games:
- learn to play with time pressure (WMH deathclock, timed turns; Infinity 90 min time limit)
- finish Magic Realm, learn the rules, play a full advanced game
- find a good euro VP-type game (I normally hate those), get good at it
- find an advanced abstract game I haven't played more than 2 games (like Go, Shogi, sth else), get good at it
- do something totally weird for me (i.e. get out of comfort zone) game-related (e.g. try some entirely new game types, meet weird people, start a club?) at least once a month

Not game-related:
- I'll keep those to myself, thank you.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Well here's mine;

TG:
Successfully run at least one session of a RPG(over the last 10 years I've tried at least a dozen times to run something across at least 8 different systems and not once have I made it past Character Creation with my group of friends, to the point that it's been almost 3 years since I last put a serious attempt in), can't completely guarantee this one since most of my RL friends live in another county, I can't drive, and I'm not comfortable with running an RPG online for multiple reasons

Start doing reviews for RPG stuff(own a lot of RPG stuff and if I can't run anything with it, might as well do something productive with it)

RL:
Get a job(might actually succeed at this one since my dad might have some work for me in the near future at his shop)

Lose at least 10 pounds

Be better about my spending

Save up at least 300 Dollars for this year's Anime Expo in July(not counting ticket or Hotel fare)

Try and make friends in my current location(have lived in my current city for more than a year, and have barely interacted with anyone in the area besides the family members who I live with, and while the friends I had back in my hometown are still some of the most important people in my life, I also need friends who I can interact in person with more than a couple times every month or two)

See a dentist(it's been at least 5 years since I last saw one, and I probably need one badly)

Fix my screwy sleep schedule

Can't think of anything else for now, so that will do

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Je Suis A Major Fucker.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

This year, I resolve to create something. Even if it's just a dumb dungeon. I also resolve to play more games instead of just talking about playing games, or coming up with ideas that never get started.

ThaShaneTrain
Jan 2, 2009

pure mindless vandalism
:smuggo:
TG
Start and finish a campaign of Shadowrun Crossfire (beat all of the missions)
See my game on shelves (already contracted out to a publisher but we're working on having it done asap.)
Construct a new regular board game group of people I like since my BFF is moving away.

Non
Finish off my smallest student loan
Save money to do the previous thing and more neat things like having money in general.

Caecitas
Sep 23, 2012

Dare ye pick the wizard?
I will stop buying board games that no one will play.
I will TO events less.
I will learn to tell my players that sometimes I simply cant run that week due to being a responsible adult (supposedly).

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Screw it, I'm in.

-Paint up all my Malifaux (or at least have no more than 5 models in the pile of shame at any given time)
-Do more stuff via the Oath thread
-Try out at least one new wargaming system (probably Anima Tactics)

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
TG:
Read and run a game of Unknown Armies. I've had those PDFs for like a year now.
Get back into the FATAL & Friends thread, finish re-reading that RPG and do the write-up as well.
Actually design a game.

Life:
Get back into my workout routine.
Cook more often, with less dependence on recipes.
Do more writing, drawing, and/or music creation.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!
So yesterday I GMed a session of Deadlands Reloaded. We all had fun, but quickly discovered that the ability to for dice to explode at low values (25% for 1d4 vs. 10% for 1d10) meant that we got a few unearthly results. Our Martial artist got an 18 on Stealth despite having a d6 in it, and our gunslinger dealt 14 damage after scoring a raise on his shooting roll and heavily wounded the first vicious monster we encountered.

The rules felt rather fiddly, and we all have some reserves about the system. But we plan on having another session next week.

So the RPGs I have left are 13th Age, Dungeon Crawl Classics, Dungeon World, Eclipse Phase, Mouse Guard, and Spears of the Dawn.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I'll add getting back to my board game idea. I have the basic mechanics, win conditions, and a rough idea for how the map should work but still need to actually make the map, create cards for various challenges and items, and assign arbitrary numbers to them.

Then play testing. Lots of play testing.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
- I'll stop pitching campaigns to my friends only to never finish the preparations.
- Especially, I'll run that game of Shadowrun I've been having discussions about with friends for three years now
- I'll get my hands of Shadowrun Anniversary edition

And non-tg
- Get back to serious photography (hopefully including setting up a part-time dark room)
- Muster the courage to face rejection and actually send my drafts to a publisher

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chronic Reagan
Oct 13, 2000

pictures of plastic men
Fun Shoe
I'll throw my hat in.

Gaming
- Out of my 150-ish board games, I've only gotten plays in on about 60%. I want to get that to 85%. I'll have to enlist my game group on this, who tend to want to play a lot of the same old, or tend not to play the heavier Euros which make up a lot of my unplayed games. Probably need to stop buying so many drat games, too.
- Paint my copy of Space Hulk (4th ed). Better get my rear end started.
- Play a tabletop RPG for at least 6 sessions.
- Actually win a game of 40k: Conquest. I love this game, but I just don't grok the strategy yet.

Life
- Pay off my credit card. Already on track to do this.
- Pass my certification exam (for work), and work on the next level of certification.
- Lose some weight. Yes, I already read the bullshit above.

Chronic Reagan fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jan 19, 2015

• Locked thread