Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The SR71 at the Boeing museum in Seattle is pretty cool, they have a full size one on the floor as well as a cockpit section you can climb in.

We also have the shuttle trainer, even though there was a building made specifically for the discovery or one of the other real shuttles. gently caress you, California!

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jan 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

If it's a SEAL on Op Red Wings, dude would look more like this.

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Jan 4, 2015

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Found this while sorting through some old poo poo, I got it when I was a boy scout and took a tour on the ship.

How much do boat nerds care about stuff like this? It's just tourist shop stuff, but the ship's sitting at the bottom of the ocean now, so I dunno if it's valuable or not.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Trying to remember what mix guys used. I think it was half ATF and half CLP or some other gun oil(could've been all atf too). Real good to breathe that shoot in when or burns off, I bet.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

kept all his bits in a tidy package mostly!

He might even get to have an open casket funeral!

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Zeris posted:

I don't get the NSA icons

smiley face is at the bottom.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Ah yes, the highly effective gaggle formation. I like how one dude runs in with a shield and cuts off everyone else's field of fire before they all leave him hanging for the next minute, then kinda trickle in as they work up the courage.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Even a c-130 would make for a cooler flyover than a predator, sorry but your rc plane is too dorky to be impressive.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Tearsaslube posted:

That french swat thing was interesting. What was the utility of using so many people? Why weren't camera and other infrared technologies used to locate combatants? Why didn't they simotanously breach through multiple entries? Who are the people who committed this crime? I'm unfamiliar with french intelligence, but why weren't government bodies keeping an eye on potentially dangerous criminals? This harks back to the boston bombing shin-dig, but didn't the russians tells the us that "hey these asshats are rad as gently caress, keep an eye on them?"

It's always a signal to noise issue, but I'd imagine if you actually had financially incentived individuals, you could figure out who was who.

E: Tight bullet spread aside, how the hell do homeboys rocking cold war gear take out and make out with poo poo against state funded actors

'Power in numbers' was probably their thought process, but it equals poo poo if you're talking about 80 chickenhawks making themselves as small as possible behind their shields. Infrared isn't some predator see-through-walls poo poo, it only goes as far as the next solid object like any other light would. Who knows about entries, I'd think there was another back door alley at least.

Tearsaslube posted:

Like couldn't you knock out a power grid, pop some dense smoke, and sweep the building? Or am I high as gently caress?

Do government agencies have such sandy vaginas that they refuse to talk to each other? Has there been efficiency studies done to determine the average financial incentive required for "true believer" radicals to give up who they know? Isn't the promise of their family being taken care of usually all it takes? What is a human life worth? The deployment costs of a shitload of shitoad of french troops vs the cost of maintaining and paying informants and a decent intelligence service? Is it really cheaper to clean up than it is to prevent?

If they trained on NODs, sure, they could go in dark, but it's still middle of day. Smoke's not gonna help much except help panicked cops shoot other cops. We're also talking about French cops. They're probably just as lovely as US cops when it comes to hostage situations, and that's before you pump millions of DHS dollars into their department so they can put 5 EOTechs and green lasers on their gun.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
it's mom and dad's fault i wanna diddle kids

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

Peshmerga killing ISIS dudes north of Kirkuk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azbuZtBwTVY

I like how they seem to actually communicate instead of begging god for a handout during a magdump or rocket launch.

Same deal at 1:50, dudes have the same reaction to a big boom as a bunch of joes. Kurds seem pretty cool.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

MrYenko posted:

Related: Is there a unit for smell times distance? Because holy gently caress that thing must set some records.

Looks like they already account for that, with the towers being in the middle of nothing and all. It's probably 100x worse these days, plenty of fresh bodies to add. :smith:

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Lol, give everyone more tattoos and I'd assume that was a Ranger squad photo

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Taser training as in "I'm bored let's taser each other" maybe

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Apparently King Abdullah of Jordan's been bombing ISIS himself, and is gonna keep doing so.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Tammy Duckworth gave him PTSD to go with his war injury, I hope she's proud

(I know I would be)

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
All that food and water sure was volatile :downs:

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Reminds me of the poo poo the blackhats at airborne school do.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

I always hated this piece of poo poo

Mine always functioned fine, the safety was dumb but I just trained to flick it off as I brought it to a two-hand grip.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

USMC503 posted:

Mk. 48s own. I wish I could own one.

Me too. And I understand if they didn't have extra pouches for the 48, but god dammit Marine why would you carry around a god drat ammo can as well? Doesn't 7.62 still come in cardboard boxes in bandoliers if you're worried about tangled belts?

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

lightpole posted:

It looked like there was an MRAP behind him so maybe it came from there but I know nothing about this.

Ah, didn't see the mrap, one second he's digging in an assault pack, the next he's pulling a belt out of an ammo can, so I combined the two.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Am I late to posting this or?

http://youtu.be/Eu2wP6DI8WU

(New-ish? ISIS training montage)

The combat roll pickup looks like something a CoD-playing 12 year old thinks is an important skill to master before going to war.

At least they're better at fastroping than the ANA.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I know the "make a private carry a ladder" method isn't as sexy to lovely countries as circ de soleil poo poo, but at least it works without face plants and rolled ankles

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Duke Chin posted:

-----poot-----

Alternative title of: "Hey you got a little something on you."

It's gone :(

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I love that the victory that led to the 'era of good feelings' happened after a ceasefire agreement was already signed.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It hasn't worked for me for quite a while, I thought YouTube just defeated it or something.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

scattered "gently caress YEAH", "GET SOME", "EAT IT" is completely not the same as religious chanting

If twelve dudes started shouting "gently caress yeeeaaahh! gently caress yeaaaaahhh! gently caress yeeeeaaaaahhh! gently caress yeaaaahhhh! gently caress yeeaaaaahhhh!" every time something blew up, it'd be just as annoying. Or like if the jv team was full of Tebows

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
"18+ graphic i blurred the picture"

oh good, that makes standing on two decapitated heads way more palatable now

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
dunno why i never thought to do that when I was in the green zone

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

gfanikf posted:

It wasn't worth getting shot at for?

:confused:

We hung out there for like an hour with no helmets or armor on, checked out the big Iran-Iraq memorial, and got platoon pictures. It used to be a big secure FOB like BIAP or Bagram.

Like maybe a mortar could hit, but those retards rarely hit anything important. If you were deployed during a mortar attack, chances are we were the dickheads standing on top of the mortar shelters trying to see if they were walking the rounds in or not.

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Mar 15, 2015

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I've never been to Kirkuk so I had no idea there were more than the two in Baghdad.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

chitoryu12 posted:

To make it even better, have an article about how we discovered how easily you can plug brains into a flight simulator and simply think how you want the plane to go. Or use a direct brain link to move robotic limbs.

Spicy Guacamole posted:

:stare:

Robocop is just around the corner.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

USMC503 posted:

Thug lyfe.

Now I know why the powers that be wouldn't let us detonate IEDs on our own when I was in Afghan.

loving Army ruining it for the rest of us. Also: I bet they were reservists too. You're only supposed to use one brick of C4 for mine/IED detonation retards.

He was also facing the wrong direction when he detonated, though I can't blame him for wanting to keep his body as far away as possible. That was a tiny loving IED.

Was it rigged as an IED? I thought it was just some RPG that didn't detonate(dickhead forgot to pull the safety likely)

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
You gotta keep all your eggs in as few baskets as possible so Ivan Slavislov can wreck your poo poo with a handful of super quad copters then wheelie off on a second gen gixxer.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Saw Saddam's head at the ft Lewis museum today.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

There was a dude in my RIP class that would've had a ND and been kicked out in the last week of the course, if he hadn't put the magazine in upside down like that. :downs:

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Ron Jeremy posted:

You know that one fucker in school? 4.0gpa? Captain of the varsity team? So handsome the janitor had to follow behind him to mop up all the dropped soaked panties he left in his wake?

I had one as a classmate and he just finished his time as a blue angel.

Really want to hate him but he's actually a nice guy. Fucker.

Dude looks like he'd fit right in on a third Reich recruiting poster

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I've also heard Shermans were called Tommy cookers and the Ronson( a lighter) because there's a rumor that they lit the first time every time.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The speed regulator on the door on one of our strykers was malfunctioning once, making the thing close, with slat armor, in a little over a second. It was terrifying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
You can't dangle your legs out of a plane, though (at least not comfortably)

• Locked thread