Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

maffew buildings posted:

Just an FYI this word is pronounced "gently caress-skull" for your non-Navy folks

'Foxhole' with a silent second 'o' :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

1:00, first impact, rear pickup.

:stare:

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Frosted Flake posted:

Great breakdown of WWII Armour myths by an expert and former tanker.

Points that stood out to me: Shermans were pretty good and only burned because the Germans kept shooting them after bailouts so they couldn't be repaired.

American TD doctrine was not as bad as made out to be.

American tanks only engaged in Tiger duels 3 times.

It did not take 5 US tanks to bag a Panther or Tiger.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bNjp_4jY8pY

I think I've seen this one before and there's actually a whole shitton of other myths that he doesn't cover, like the Blitzkrieg being a specific doctrine the Nazis came up with, or the Tiger being anything other than a ill-devised, undermotorised shitbox with an extremely efficient gun. It's kinda weird that Discovery Channel fearsome-nazis-type of "documentaries" are what has been shaping popular knowledge for ages now and it take a tank video game company to throw money at a bunch of guys to plow through every archive ever to come up with findings that oppose those of the most popular and most-cited books about the period.

Also, the guy's kinda funny.

"You were not going to open he firefight unless you were in a position of advantage to begin with. Once you do get the first shot off, you are usually calm and collected, while the guy on the receiving end is having a significant emotional event. So his return shot is likely rushed and hurried and will miss anyway."

/welp, beaten

Duzzy Funlop fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jan 1, 2016

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

I had always wondered about the carnage when one of those things has a fuckup...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijF0dJ7J8U4

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Zeris posted:

These videos are awesome as gently caress

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBDc2pDQgVg

That song is brough to you by Germany's second biggest reason to apologize to the world:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNvUS-6PTbs

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Someone took someone else's military ID and riveted it together between two metal plates, leaving just enough information to indicate whose it is, but not enough to make it anything other than useless.

To be fair, there's a perfectly good chance someone did this to their own ID what with it being the military and all.

Duzzy Funlop fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jan 9, 2016

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

The more good-natured fuckery I'd indulge in would be to screenshot the desktop of the civilian secretary in my office and then just open the picture fullscreen. Oldest trick in the book but every single drat time, she'd suspect a system crash instead of me screwing around.

We also had a particularly righteous idiot in the company that took the "opportunity creates thieves" creed from boot to heart a little too much and long, going as far as basically stealing poo poo that was unattended for maybe a minute to claim people had lost it. He was warned to cut it out a couple of times.

An honored tradition had previously been to wrap lost IDs or weapons cards with sparkly sticky-foil which would be a pain to remove, but at some point, it turned out that the new standard of sticky foil had such strong adhesive that the lovely ID/weapons cards would have their print ripped off when removing the foil, regardless how carefully you did it. Shithead decides to keep up with his shenanigans until the reservist O-2 that was temporary CO decided to throw the book at him after the guy went through every single room housing recruits and hosed with around 10 IDs.

Added idiocy in Germany is that any charge under the german UCMJ that amounts to a potential felony under the regular penal code has to be deferred to the civilian DA in addition to any military proceedings. Reservist CO didn't think that "throwing the book" at the guy would cross that line, but it slipped his mind that "screwing with" officially-issued IDs constituted falsification of documents legally, so the proceedings were picked up by the DA. From that point on, every civilian in the chain of events decided to make an example of the shithead E-3 because gently caress the military. Guy got busted to E-1, dismissed and ended up with a conviction and a huge fine, loving up his future.

CO came back from his course at Ft Leonardwood 3 weeks later asking why he's losing soldiers to juvenile pranks.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

chitoryu12 posted:

The T-14 Armata's interior is declassified so we can see inside now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxVLL_25gog

I'm 8 minutes into this and lol

• can go 40km/h while rotating its turret
  • can spin in place
  • has comfortable seats
  • that time one of them broke down in our parade on the Red Square? Not malfunction of tank. Was comrade inside make error. Comrade nervous, use brake, then get disoriented. Comrade is in good health today.
  • has ACTIVE DEFENSE SYSTEMS that basically all other modern MBTs on the planet have, except in the case of the Armata, they make it invisible and invulnerable

/edit
I'm still laughing at them selling a broken-down tank as a driver that got disoriented in a parade on the Red loving Square

Duzzy Funlop fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jan 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

#ZyklonBullshit had me primed, but holy poo poo #dunkindoenitz

• Locked thread