Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Slithery D
Jul 19, 2012

Duke Chin posted:

:qq: and I'm sure when those big mean planes fly over your house you're the first one to go post on your neighborhood blog about how they rattled your decorative plate collection off the wall.

This is a good post. Desperately fantasizing about those big mean planes is the only thing that keeps a lot of GIPers going when they're getting pegged by their wives.

The Slithery D fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Aug 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Slithery D
Jul 19, 2012
No, treat it like the Army and pretend like I enjoy it, then bitch to my friends about it when the wife isn't around to hear.

The Slithery D
Jul 19, 2012

Zeris posted:

russia.jpg http://imgur.com/a/PQrcu

edit oh yeah the imgur album is NWS

A lot of deployment 2s in there.

The Slithery D
Jul 19, 2012
The two tone dust cloud is pretty.

The Slithery D
Jul 19, 2012

Branis posted:

i always felt like EOtechs were optics were too busy, I like the single red dot of an aimpoint. Acquire dot fire bullets. I took the EOtech thing to mean anything in that temp range not if you took it from -40 to 122F so if you use it and its 100 degrees out you might get some drift.

That seems to be the plain language of the statement, but that doesn't make any sense. So it only works properly below -40F and above 122F? That can't be right.

The Slithery D
Jul 19, 2012
I'm the dude mushroom stamping the driver's helmet.

The Slithery D
Jul 19, 2012

Brown Moses posted:

Bad TOW related day for a pro-Assad 14.5mm gunner
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gi99U90vMDc

Shaped charges can't melt steel 14.5mm. At least if they hit the wall behind them.

And any explosion you can fall away from is a good one.

The Slithery D
Jul 19, 2012

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

There's no way that dude lived, right?

I thought I saw a couple of them run away at the end.

The Slithery D
Jul 19, 2012

Zeroisanumber posted:

Assuming that the neurons in his brain aren't lightly whipped, his lungs probably both popped like balloons.

Shaped charge, power of an explosion drops as a square ratio of distance. Rolled steel penetration in front of the warhead is going to do a surprisingly low fraction of that force to a dude a few feet behind it. Wikipedia claims the biggest TOW warheads are 13.5 pounds of explosive. That's a big less than the Comp B or TNT in a 155mm shell, but with less shrapnel risk, excepting whatever concrete flakes blew back.

Random explosions are more potentially survivable than you think.

The Slithery D
Jul 19, 2012
If you take a CDE course you'll learn that kill radius for blast is a fraction of shrapnel or building ejecta for the big bombs, and that's for non shaped munitions.

The Slithery D
Jul 19, 2012

Phanatic posted:

The cube. The explosion is filling a volume in space, not the surface of a sphere.

Square. The blast is a two dimensional blast front, it is exactly the surface of a sphere. If you've every seen a good video of a 2000 lb bomb you see the ring of the blast expand outward through the terrain along the ground.

Edit: I think the best ones are actually showing air compression on the blast front because of humidity, actually.

The Slithery D fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Feb 5, 2016

The Slithery D
Jul 19, 2012

Thank you for sending me to a Pakistan government site devoted to explosives.

:nsa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Slithery D
Jul 19, 2012
Instagramming well lit clumps of grass on Bataan.

• Locked thread