Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Helldump Immunity. posted:

Getting an ISR asset for a flyover is the equivalent of getting one of those lovely Tiger handheld games instead of a Gameboy for Christmas.

Results of two attempts at Hawkeye flyovers:

1) Flew over completely the wrong pier.

2) Flew over a ceremony about ten minutes after the national anthem finished, right in the middle of a speech. And it's not over quickly, like a jet. No, you get plenty of time to appreciate the BBBBBBZZZZZZZZZRRRRRRRRR as it hums by.

For some reason we don't get asked to do flyovers any more. :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

iyaayas01 posted:

Safety margins exist for a reason.

Yeah, the reason being that a lot of people are total pussies.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Accretionist posted:

Syrian fighter takes a direct headshot from a shell: .gif

Yikes, that's gotta hurt.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Haha, tangy dicks.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Stultus Maximus posted:

How bout that Tracer

Amazing how far we've come in 60 years.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Elendil004 posted:

Or it's brilliant because you know nobody is going to steal poo poo from that rack.

Yeah, but on the other hand, they might leave actual, literal poo poo in the rack.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

It's surprisingly refreshing not hearing takbirs

For some reason people get really upset when takbirs get made fun of. Cultures are different, it's ok. Kurds and Americans don't actually have their own equivalent of screaming ALLAHU ACKBAR and that's ok.

Maybe not soldiers, but look up an average video of something crazy happening and count how often you hear "OH MY GOD".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CR67XIUBvMg

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Stultus Maximus posted:

Rotary wing are God's aircraft because God don't care about obeying the laws of physics.

I was gonna say, helicopters are clearly only held aloft by ongoing divine intervention.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
What the gently caress is "*intimidating titter*"?

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Dingleberry posted:

Like Maude's weird artist friend demos in the Big Lebowski.

Yeah, how is that intimidating? It's like saying "ferocious tulip" or something.

Jonad posted:

An extremely distressing manboob.

Gonna go with this interpretation.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Godholio posted:

I seriously miss old-school USAF & USN paint schemes. Give me bright, aggressive Navy tailflashes, shark-scheme heavies, and some goddamned woodland A-10s. gently caress gray.

Mmmmmmm...

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

MRC48B posted:

Those are agressor squadron planes, and we are getting rid of them too. :eng99:

Maybe in the Air Force. Those are Navy guys and aren't going anywhere any time soon.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

terrez posted:

So apparently these guys are absurdly loud?

I haven't heard a B-1 up close yet, but I have heard F-16s, and that's basically four F-16s strapped together. So yeah, I imagine they can be pants-shittingly loud at max blast.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Godholio posted:

That's pretty normal, from what I understand. Your landing gear is absorbing a lot of energy that would otherwise be forward inertia. You drop, converting some into downward inertia, and the gear bleeds it off.

Not really, you're targeting a stable (and aggressive) glideslope in order to precisely hit the landing area. I mean, yes, the landing gear is technically absorbing some of what would otherwise be forward momentum, but it's not like that's contributing to slowing you down much. Your vertical speed on touchdown is still only a small fraction of your overall velocity, and the cables and arresting engines are absorbing way more energy than your plane can.

One thing you absolutely don't do is dump the nose or cut power to try and drop it on the deck. Best case, it'll screw up your hook angle and you'll miss the wires. Worst case you fly it into the back of the boat, or you don't have enough power on for a bolter and drop it off the far end (keeping in mind that since jet engines take a few seconds to spool up, you're supposed to be hitting the deck with the throttles pushed up to max).

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

bitcoin bastard posted:

I'm not sure, but I read the jump from 100-30 as the plane flying over the edge of the carrier, and now the thing directly below the plane is much closer.

This is correct. He's on a steady glideslope, the flight deck is about 60 feet above the water.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Electromagnetic catapult test:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oc7tHStXfkQ

I have to admit, it's weird not seeing any steam coming out during the cat shot.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

MrYenko posted:

The F-35. Yes they're actually serious when they say that.

Most (fixed-wing) CAS these days is done with some flavor of PGM, so I don't imagine the F-35 will be any worse at it than any other strike fighter, at least once they get the targeting pod figured out. Especially if they decide "gently caress LO" and load it up with hardpoints. It's a ludicrously expensive and overdesigned asset for that kind of mission, but c'est la multirole.

I do like to point to the Super Tucano as the "next-gen A-10 replacement" that people wish for when moaning about retiring the A-10. Aside from the gun, it's got most of the same strengths and weaknesses: slow, fuel efficient, easy to maintain, highly vulnerable to MANPADS. It doesn't have quite the same payload, but you're usually not employing multiple tons of ordnance to take out a building or a few trucks on your typical CAS mission. I think it would be a great thing to have in our inventory for that kind of permissive, flexible, affordable CAS requirement.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Reverand maynard posted:

Why a manned prop plane over an attack helicopter or drone equivilant of a Super Tucano?

Serious question I know very little about things that fly.

I wouldn't say "over" helos or drones, since all three have useful niches. A turboprop is still faster, longer range, and higher altitude than a helicopter, and manned aircraft still have some useful advantages over drones in a number of areas. CAS places a high value on flexibility and coordination with ground forces, neither of which drones are very good at right now.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

terrez posted:

Is Cavalry just a regular infantry unit that rubs its dick on Civil War and Indian wars pictures of cavalry units or what

If so, is the reason they have such a bad reputation that they are even gayer than the 82nd is about STATIC LINE JUMPS INTO EUROPE TO DEFEAT THA NATZEEZ OOMGIMCUMMING

I didn't interact with them much, but during my brief CAOC stint the Air Cav guys would wear cowboy hats (and I think maybe cowboy boots) on Fridays. Indoors, on an air-conditioned ops floor. It did not endear them to the rest of the people there.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Oh poo poo, it's really happening. The South is actually rising again.

Also, I love how those tank treads seem specifically designed to ruin the gently caress out of any pavement they drive over. Hope they're saving some of that revolution budget for road repairs.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Holy poo poo. You've discovered a way to make hot naked women not cause boners.

That deserves, like, an anti-Nobel prize or something.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Captain Postal posted:

Seriously, how fast is that camera turning on its mount? And how is the camera/mount/actuator not disintegrating from the stresses?

IIRC from the railgun videos, the camera itself isn't turning at all. It's pointing at a spinning mirror that produces the panning effect.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Marriage proposal gone horribly wrong?

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Godholio posted:

A man-powered air defense system. :downs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAS2UaBuwy4

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

ded posted:

that would do a great job of blasting a bunch of shrapnel into the wound of a bullet that punches right through your sheet metal armor

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

BIG HEADLINE posted:

That entire getup just kind of looks like someone decided it would convince a young private he'd be safe running around No Man's Land.

"You mean this thing even stops artillery shells, Sir?"
"As far as we know...maybe!"

"Nobody has ever complained that it didn't!"

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

The only thing to be mad about is that there was no nuclear warhead on that missile.

... how do you know? :tinfoil:

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Nobody reads print media these days, they need to tweet about what convoy they're about to hit.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Booblord Zagats posted:

I like the Igloo cooler up top.

Yeah, that really completes the look.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

VikingSkull posted:

It's amazing how that's a Soviet era ship with a Soviet derived aircraft, yet the HD glamour shots and flight deck operations look totally American.

FOOOOOOOOOD WAAAAAALKDOWN at 1:31.

Oh Flankers. Is there any role you can't be modified for? :allears:

Those ski jump takeoffs look really unnerving though.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
I just noticed that the SU-27K tail fins fold just like the main wings do. That's pretty cool.

Branis posted:

it doesn't look like they use catapults or whatever like we do, does that have any significance?

Laranzu posted:

Less takeoff weight or asstons of thrust or both necessary.

Notice how the planes taking off from the forward positions (where the bow catapults would be) don't appear to have any ordnance on them. Even the one taking the full deck run looks like it's only got four A-A missiles. Ski jump carriers really limit how much you can take off with, and also makes it very hard to field some more specialized aircraft like an AEW platform (E-2) or logistics (C-2).

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Branis posted:

So what are the benefits of doing the ski jump vs catapult? Is it just easier for less advanced nations to put a ramp and jump poo poo?

Yeah, a catapult involves a lot of extra equipment, personnel, training, and really requires the carrier to be built from the ground up as a catapult design (i.e., China wouldn't retrofit their refurbished Soviet carrier into a catapult).

I haven't really looked into what their indigenous carrier design is supposed to be (I think it's still ski-jump), but it wouldn't surprise me if they were planning a catapult design at some point in the future.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Gotta love the absolutely retarded island(s) placement that gives it apparently less usable surface area than a Nimitz.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

holocaust bloopers posted:

AWACS flight deck is hella cramped.

Your flight deck holds more people than my entire plane. :colbert:

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Godholio posted:

Robins AFB, GA, allegedly.

I wish I had saved the MLK day galley menu from a few years back, serving fried chicken, collard greens, and watermelon.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Crossposting from the Cold War Airpower thread:

Time lapse video of an aircraft carrier deck. Pretty cool watch; it really shows off all the shuffling around that happens during an average day.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Whenever I see "concept" designs for the "soldier of the future" I think of the OICW. And the even more ridiculous getup that was basically a guy in a motorcycle helmet with a gun strapped to his wrist.

Or do go back to the 50's/60's with that concept that assumed everyone would be wearing full NBC spacesuits all the time.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
I was thinking one of those Novalogic Delta Force games, but it was in a lot of games in that era.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Those hoses would be a gigantic pain in the dick.

If that's the case then you've attached them completely wrong.

I like to imagine that just to the left, out of frame, the actual recruiter at the booth is thinking "who the gently caress is this guy" as he calls for security.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

F35.jpg

• Locked thread