Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

The funnier mashup would be this video with Weird Al's "Trigger Happy" over it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Unfortunately that image implies the F-35 shits money. To be more precise, it should be vacuuming the money upwards into the fuselage, at which point the engine seizes, bursts into flames, and the aircraft burns down to its frame.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Phanatic posted:

The Awful app is pretty good, at least on iOS. No experience with the Android version, or even if there is one.
There is, I'm using it right now.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Somewhere some CNN/Fox News 'drone' commentator just decided to lease a new Porsche.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Der Luftwaffle posted:

So it was the last flight of one guy who was retiring and his family had come to watch. That is some Hollywood-level bad luck.

The squadron CO was flying with the guy in an attempt to reign him in, too. In higher-definition pictures of the plane taken just before impact, you can see that the XO managed to pull his handle, but he did it too late. The co-pilot's hatch visibly blew, the plane just managed to crash before the ejection sequence could complete.

The picture in question (with the blown hatch clearly visible):

Even if the seat had fired, he'd have almost definitely died, probably a lot worse than he did just riding it in.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Jul 19, 2015

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Dead Reckoning posted:

Did they edit out the compressor stall?

Pretty sure those aren't the Pratt & Whitneys.

But hey, while we're on a Tomcat binge:

And no, that's not another angle on the infamous "Snodgrass Pass," as he wasn't carrying armament when he did his.

And just so no one asks 'what's a Snodgrass Pass":

He did that on a Dependents' Day cruise on the USS America. So the deck had a bunch of women and children on it. His response when shown the photo was "make me fifty copies of that and then burn the negatives."

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Jul 31, 2015

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I like the part at ~8:40 in this video where they describe an old field test for seeing if chemical weapons are still present at a dangerous level on the battlefield: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNMkAhgAeOU

It's literally "order one of your subordinates to take off his mask and take several deep breaths. Then have him put his mask on and observe for symptoms of exposure. Then make another one do the same thing a few minutes later." The only thing missing is "if he dies or becomes incapacitated, keep ordering your other soldiers to do the same thing until they stop dying/keeling over. Then you'll know it is safe to remove *your* mask."

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

So I went like *this*, 'n he went like ~that~, and I was sayin' t'Hollywood 'where'd he go' and he was like 'where'd who gooooo?'

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/the-f-16-gun-pod-that-tried-to-shoot-down-the-a-10-wart-1597577525

Evidently all the GAU-8s that were in pods for the "F/A-16" were dumped onto the Marines, who thought about putting them on LCACs. Up to *four* of them.

More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GAU-13

I didn't know that we effectively handed a working example of the A-10's ~super gun~ to the Royal Thai Air Force.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Oct 15, 2015

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

That entire getup just kind of looks like someone decided it would convince a young private he'd be safe running around No Man's Land.

"You mean this thing even stops artillery shells, Sir?"
"As far as we know...maybe!"

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I thought the shotgunning was supposedly done by Pennsylvania yokels, not the military.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I'd also fathom that even though it caused issues, the weight of the cable might have helped the blimp finally be recovered somewhat safely and without a total loss of the ~billyuns~ in radar equipment inside instead of potentially having to be shot down with something bigger than a shotgun.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

That was two minutes to say a lot of stuff that probably just covers for "I haven't yet made lucrative-enough connections in the private sector to merit retiring, so I guess I'll see how many stars they want to give me."

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

VikingSkull posted:

to be fair it might have been the fat guy in glasses on the Military Channel that said it

William Atwater.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Dingleberry posted:

If we don't get into a real war we can't usher forth the End Times and the Second Coming so again WTF.

Unfortunately the only way you can involve Riverines this way is to put the boats on flatbed trucks and drive them through Tel Meggido, and that would require far too much :effort: for the Navy.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

What amazes me about that video is how nonchalant everyone becomes after they realize they're out of danger. One of the spectators even pats one of the aircrew on the back.

"I came to see airplanes. Now I get to see dead people and body parts too. Is good day."

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Ron Jeremy posted:

Decent figure, but she doesn't make lumpia as good as his last wife.

:drat:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

India has an aircraft carrier? That's adorable.

Yeah, they were so desperate for one, they paid the Russians ~$2.4b to give an old Kiev-class an Kuznetsov makeover: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/INS_Vikramaditya

Then they bought MiG-29Ks, because all that :effort: with nothing to fly off the loving thing is pretty dumb.

The funny thing is...the Indians actually have a more capable naval aviation platform than their former colonizers, because they didn't feel the need to reinvent the loving wheel.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Jan 27, 2016

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

France has been known to do some awesomely reckless stuff with their military inventory: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaXgCNTfqgI

lovely movie, loving *incredible* flight choreographing and filming. The director really loved those 'head on' shots, though. 16:55's a choice part - but everything after that gets really shittily CGIed. Probably ran out of money for filming in-flight.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jan 29, 2016

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

I'd surprised there isn't a bunch of feet under it Flintstones-style.

All you have to do is 'shop out those tires underneath...

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Not cluster bombs, tovarisch...is citizenry setting off large firecrackers in appreciation of Russian liberation."

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

The commandant just revoked my weekend liberty because I brought my phone into the "showers." #jawohlasshole #zyklonBullshit

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Air raid sirens just sounded here, looked up and only saw three sets of contrails. Must be just a recon flight. #gonnabeagreatmorning #hiroshima4lyfe #neverbombed

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Feb 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

LOLOL the Tommies are attacking our battleship with biplanes #bismarck #unsinkable #dunkindoenitz

• Locked thread