Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Dead Reckoning posted:

There's a tunnel system that links all the buildings at the Air Force Academy. It was built for maintenance, but it also was intended to serve as a shelter for the Cadet Wing in the event of an atomic attack. It had marshaling areas and store rooms and even a morgue. That part is true. There were always rumors of more, though: hidden command posts, archives with copies of important federal documents, connections to other bases in the area. There was also a locked gate leading to more tunnels past the steam plant. No one knew where it went.

USNA's got these too, minus the living areas and war room. They are colloquially known as the Ho Chi Min Trail. We used them to sneak off the yard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
There's a KC-135, tail number 58-0050 (aka "Spook 50") which crews swear is haunted. I've never flown it, but several of my booms have. The backstory is that it's killed a crew chief, who was electrocuted by improperly grounded equipment, and another crew member due to a structural failure, although the second one sounds pretty fishy because it involves a nav or boom getting sucked part-way out by a decompression. The crews that have flown it claim that the lights and other electrical systems will fail when someone is alone in the cargo compartment, that they see shadows moving where they shouldn't, that the intercom has interference that sounds almost like voices, and that equipment and switches will change position when no one on the crew could possibly have moved them. I'd dismiss it as superstitious crap, except that the stories are remarkably consistent, and include testimony from people who didn't hear about the plane's reputation until after they experienced it. A lot of the crewdogs who avoid flying spook are level-headed types who you don't expect this from.

USMC503
Jan 15, 2012

For satisfactory performance while under the effects of hostile enemy alcohol.

Dead Reckoning posted:

There's a KC-135, tail number 58-0050 (aka "Spook 50") which crews swear is haunted. I've never flown it, but several of my booms have. The backstory is that it's killed a crew chief, who was electrocuted by improperly grounded equipment, and another crew member due to a structural failure, although the second one sounds pretty fishy because it involves a nav or boom getting sucked part-way out by a decompression. The crews that have flown it claim that the lights and other electrical systems will fail when someone is alone in the cargo compartment, that they see shadows moving where they shouldn't, that the intercom has interference that sounds almost like voices, and that equipment and switches will change position when no one on the crew could possibly have moved them. I'd dismiss it as superstitious crap, except that the stories are remarkably consistent, and include testimony from people who didn't hear about the plane's reputation until after they experienced it. A lot of the crewdogs who avoid flying spook are level-headed types who you don't expect this from.

So you're telling me it's a piece of military equipment.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
Found out about Numbers stations when I was 18 or 19 from my first college roommate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToC2QjoFluI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGJECpb4FYk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUQUD3IMbb4

USMC503
Jan 15, 2012

This is something I sperg out about. I want to know what they actually are for god dammit.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I know this much home boy, they're not counting train cars.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
A bunch of Cuban spies got caught a while back monitoring Cuban stations along with the one time pads they used to decode the messages. More than likely all number stations are just communications to spies. Even with modern cryptanalysis and supercomputers, those communications are impossible to decode unless you have the pad in your hand.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Number stations are dope. Fun to speculate about and as already said unless you have the key we'll never know. Which one played the same thing for like 10 years except for one time there was a conversation in Russian I think in the background for a minute or some poo poo? The ones that use kids to broadcast are spooky

What's the best resource to sperg out about them? Any good documentaries?

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
The Russian one is UVB-76 http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/UVB-76

No idea about any documentaries or anything, mostly just poo poo I've read on Wikipedia or here on SA.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

http://priyom.org/ is a great resource on number stations

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
https://archive.org/details/ird059

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wvr6o7fBcTY

Tearsaslube
Jan 5, 2015

by XyloJW
Y'all pigions pecking. Counterintelligence is a thing. Don't go John Nash on us. If you're trying to decode something by hand alone, you probably are being led into something that someone has already thought of. No means yes, except when the code word is pudding.

Pro tip:
Triple redundancy
1. Primary written sources
2. Human, face to face sources
3. Your balls and/or dick (your gut)

Tearsaslube fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jan 13, 2015

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
If I suddenly won the goddamn powerball, I'd waste a stupid amount of time and money on anything related to numbers stations.

USMC503
Jan 15, 2012

Godholio posted:

If I suddenly won the goddamn powerball, I'd waste a stupid amount of time and money on anything related to numbers stations.

I would make one that has no meaning just to gently caress with people.

Tearsaslube
Jan 5, 2015

by XyloJW

USMC503 posted:

I've had friends who sold oragano instead of pot in high school. I also sprinkle my ball powder in my hotel rooms so the housekeeping thinks I'm hardcore as poo poo

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010

USMC503 posted:

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

USMC503 posted:

I'd make one that transmits encoded binary that forms a .jpg of goatse.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

I spent a night going through references and recordings of numbers stations. By the end of the night I was getting served YouTube ads from degree mills to "advance my CIA career."

RichieHimself
May 27, 2004

No way dude, she looks like Gargamel.

50 Foot Ant posted:

The guys who were here last smuggled a midget into the barracks in a rucksack and then pulled a train on her before making her ride a tricycle around the barracks with "CUM SLUT" on her back in Sharpie.

Almost positive this one is more or less true. We had a midget that would hang out in our barracks on Ft. Wainwright in the early 2000's and I recall hearing about her getting smuggled past CQ in a ruck, never saw it though so can't confirm. However, I did see a video of her butt naked, drunk, and riding a tricycle through the halls so that part is at least true.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

I heard about that one even down at Ft. Rich during that timeframe.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

EEOD? Why not, I could use a break from work

:911:

USMC503 posted:

This is something I sperg out about. I want to know what they actually are for god dammit.

Well you see ẁ̷͘è͠ ͜u̵̕͞ś͟͝é͢ ̶̷̢̛͘t̶͝h́͠é̛͜͠͏m̡̀̀ ̴̶͝͞t͜͡ò̷̕͡ ̷̨́̀ş̸̸̡c̴̀a̸̧͡r͘͜҉e̛͢ ̛͘͏H͘̕͏͢͠A̢͘͝҉M̸̴͘ş̡̀́̕

Nostalgia4ColdWar
May 7, 2007

Good people deserve good things.

Till someone lets the winter in and the dying begins, because Old Dark Places attract Old Dark Things.
We heard that poo poo about 11ACR in Fulda, and one of the units up at Alaska. Maybe there were two midgets? Or maybe someone PCS'd with the midget in their equipment?

Wait, why didn't I get a midget? Having a midget to do my boots, uniforms, and clean my rooms, then act as a cock-sleeve would have rocked.

OK, here's one that may or may not be true, but it was at least partially true for a few posts.

The Nazi's (it's always the Nazi's) made complexes. If you went to the Eagle's Nest, you saw some of that poo poo, but it was all over the place.

Darmstadt had tunnels underneath it that had supposedly been cleared and revamped, but I never saw those.

Wildflecken had tunnels, but not all of them had been cleared, and only the ones under the Community Rec Center and the Post HQ Building had been refit.

Graf had shitloads of them, but most of them were filled with rubble in the early 1980's so the weight of the M1's didn't crush them.

Some of these tunnels were loving amazing. We're talking airlock systems with positive pressure systems and built in decon equipment, vehicle storage of last gen equipment, armories, command and control, the latest commo gear with sat-gear underneath a double set. One set of doors to crumple and take any explosive damage that could be blown off with explosive bolts, then inset doors. We're talking loving Saturday morning cartoon poo poo. Barracks and the whole nine loving yards. Fulda had goddamn helicopter maintenance bays complete with stocks of parts. Graf had goddamn tank refit bays and last-gen tanks. Wildflicken had... well... snowmen and loving drunken retards.

BUT, as complex and amazing as the poo poo in Germany was, it didn't have poo poo on three other places.

First, the loving Brits. Holy poo poo, did they have some complex poo poo. Some of those tunnel systems had been dug in like the 1500's, and updated steadily. After WW-II, where the Channel no longer was a decent barrier to getting your rear end reamed, they underwent serious refurbishing, and the Brits didn't do anything by half measures.

The French. Everyone thinks of the French as half-assing everything, but goddamn is that a bullshit mask they present to the rest of the world. They've banked on that goddamn Dual Loser Back to Back World Wars poo poo all the way. Since they had a strike first strike hard policy for a long time, they had serious systems. Most of them based on existing structure, but man, they didn't do poo poo by half measures either, but I'd rate their systems higher than the Brits based on the fact that they dumped a lot more money, time, and tech into them.

Before I get to the last one, let's give mention to two other players:

Russia didn't go half-measure at all from what we heard. Extensive tunnels under Moscow, harbors hardened, stuff like that.

China. Most people don't think that China was really a player, but to be honest, they took some of the pressure off of NATO because Russia was worried that if they so much as looked away for a second China would snatch up everything they could.

Finally: The US.

Holy poo poo did we go crazy during the 1950's. NORAD was built quick, and inside the loving mountain. Raven Rock had been used by the Revolutionary War and previously to store gunpowder, and was later converted and expanded. Mount Weather is supposedly seriously complex, and so was a few others.

The hilarious part about the tunnel systems wasn't the fact they existed, and that some of them were downright loving amazing. The hilarious part was, when you left the unit to go back stateside or left a unit that some of their operations area included the underground areas, they didn't tell you not to talk about them.

The reason why, was that if you tried to talk to anyone about them who had never actually seen them, you sounded like a goddamn nut, and sometimes got referred to Mental Health.

So out at Yakima (to use an example), if you needed some privates to help with some poo poo in one of the low security facilities, you just grabbed them from some loving NG unit, brought them out, and had them help do whatever you were too lazy to do, then sent them back to their unit. Like if you needed to change out the filters in the environmental systems you grabbed four idiots from a national guard unit, took them out there, went down to the environmental room, taught them how to do it, then drank beer and watched them do it. You gave them a quick tour of the unclassified areas, gave each of them a beer or two, then take them back to their unit. You don't bother talking about National SECURITY (DUN DUN DUN!) or confidentiality or any of that poo poo. You just sent them back, and thanked their 1SG for giving you guys to fill sandbags and do PMCS on some old vehicles.

If they talked about it, they sounded like goddamn crazy people or full of poo poo.

Best OPSEC ever.

Make them sound like a loving nut.

Tearsaslube
Jan 5, 2015

by XyloJW
I mean, yes, the germans did a lot a bad things. But they also had one hundred proof mint schnapps and hydrogen peroxide. Let's weigh pro's and cons here.

Fun fact: Washington state was the site of a lot of secret stuff because of the stability of its tectonic plates. We were blue sky ideating for days, and if someone bombed us to the stone age, we wanted the equivalent of black mesa to be free from earthquakes.

The nazi's were hosed up because they were brutally efficient. The soviets were (arguably) even more hosed up because they didn't keep records of those they killed and generally didn't give a gently caress.

We have pictures of the holocaust. We have fewer pictures of the starving caused by lovely state funded agricultural farming

USMC503
Jan 15, 2012

This place is in my neck of the woods and is one of those little known cold war sites.

poo poo would have made for a pretty neat museum. It's a shame they buried it.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
It still baffles me why most of the old US COG stuff that was decommissioned and buried was never declassified. I understand why anything still in use or left in a serviceable state would be totally off limits for obvious reasons, but all the stuff that was shut down and filled in during the mid-late 90s could have been documented as a record of how loving crazy everything was during the height of the Civil Defence program. I know the place under the Greenbrier hotel is now a museum, but from what I understand even that was a low-tech pokey little bolt hole by COG standards.

Is it just a matter of some of the technical innovations still being in use in active sites, and a matter of protecting any and all information about those in order to limit detection or contravention of the security offered by those installations, or just a lack of willingness to expose the amount of money funnelled in to black projects back then? The latter makes little sense considering the B2 and SR71 project costs being more or less a matter of public record now.

We Aussies never really had a substantial CD program that I'm aware of. I don't think anything would have been super effective, given the nature of our population centres and the fact that anyone outside of the blast area could just get the gently caress out and start a new life in any number of regional areas. We might have gotten away clear, with the exception of our ports and particularly sub bases which get a lot of USN love.

Of course, the reds might have decided to glass us just for the offensiveness of our wildlife alone :australia:

P.S. Ant, we're running out of winter.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

The Germans in Norway burned all their maps before the surrender in May 45. There are bunkers all over the place, and undoubtedly several that's been forgotten.
The Germans seems to have had a pathological need to swiss-cheese any bit of rock they came across basically. They weren't kidding around with 'Festung Norwegen'.

This one is in the center of Oslo. It was used by the Norwegian intelligence service during the cold war, but later abandoned.

Pikehead
Dec 3, 2006

Looking for WMDs, PM if you have A+ grade stuff
Fun Shoe

Don Dongington posted:

It still baffles me why most of the old US COG stuff that was decommissioned and buried was never declassified. I understand why anything still in use or left in a serviceable state would be totally off limits for obvious reasons, but all the stuff that was shut down and filled in during the mid-late 90s could have been documented as a record of how loving crazy everything was during the height of the Civil Defence program. I know the place under the Greenbrier hotel is now a museum, but from what I understand even that was a low-tech pokey little bolt hole by COG standards.

Is it just a matter of some of the technical innovations still being in use in active sites, and a matter of protecting any and all information about those in order to limit detection or contravention of the security offered by those installations, or just a lack of willingness to expose the amount of money funnelled in to black projects back then? The latter makes little sense considering the B2 and SR71 project costs being more or less a matter of public record now.

We Aussies never really had a substantial CD program that I'm aware of. I don't think anything would have been super effective, given the nature of our population centres and the fact that anyone outside of the blast area could just get the gently caress out and start a new life in any number of regional areas. We might have gotten away clear, with the exception of our ports and particularly sub bases which get a lot of USN love.

Of course, the reds might have decided to glass us just for the offensiveness of our wildlife alone :australia:

P.S. Ant, we're running out of winter.

We never really had the military might to bother about that sort of stuff. In the event of a nuclear war, well, we'd get a few just to make us feel better, but russia/europe/america had a much higher density of targets that would make a difference. It's not as though nuking brisbane to the ground is really going to affect people shooting at each other in europe.

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
http://imgur.com/search?q=musk%C3%B6

This is one location in Sweden that is still used by the Navy.

We also had an underground airplane factory:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fRuHgZBn1Y

And fortress Boden.
http://www.rodbergsfortet.com/engelska.htm

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
We lived at Winter Harbor Naval Base in Maine off and on for about 7 years when I was a kid. My dad was SIGINT and we kept bouncing around between there, Ft. Stewart and Guam before my dad took an agency job after retiring. He was the NCOIC for something at the Winter Harbor base on his last trip there as active duty, but one of his first assignments when he took his civilian job was going back and clearing out the base of anything sensitive when they closed it. Even had to go through all 4 offices he had had from his time there from being an E-4 to an E-8

Winter Harbor was a tiny station that never had a clear role, always less than a few hundred people manning the place. The neighboring towns were just smaller Maine fishing and farming communities and all the locals thought the base was a numbers station/spy training/interrogation center. In reality they just did basic Navy and Army SIGINT poo poo

http://coldwarrelics.com/winter_harbor_nsga

Nostalgia4ColdWar
May 7, 2007

Till someone lets the winter in and the dying begins, because Old Dark Places attract Old Dark Things.
The US government swiss cheesed poo poo. One thing people forget is just how massive the US is. People from Europe are the worst about it, with their "LOL, you don't have high speed fiber-optic for everyone? Our country the size of a walk-in closet with the population of a McDonald's does!" and poo poo like that, aren't aware that you could pretty much fit the entire EU into the US. So the Department of the Interior and a few others got together and said: "How can we ensure that there is a government to... blah blah blah" and started building these sites.

I mean, in some ways, they're loving everywhere. State and National Parks were favorites, usually done under the guise of cleaning the place up or building camping sites and poo poo.

People know NORAD exists, that Greenbriar exists, that the Atlas/Titan/Hercules sites existed because you can buy them online now, but you mention anything outside of those and you're a loving nut who probably believes in lizard people and poo poo.

Best OPSEC ever.

Helldump Immunity.
Aug 2, 2013

Fuck you
Someone spill the beans on chemtrails.

Nostalgia4ColdWar
May 7, 2007

Helldump Immunity. posted:

They spread chemicals that turn normal people into Tumblrites.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

50 Foot Ant posted:

One thing people forget is just how massive the US is. People from Europe are the worst about it, with their "LOL, you don't have high speed fiber-optic for everyone? Our country the size of a walk-in closet with the population of a McDonald's does!" and poo poo like that, aren't aware that you could pretty much fit the entire EU into the US.

I think that having a country roughly the size of yours with a slightly higher population than Florida and sprawling suburban living somewhat negates our need for a civil defence program entirely. We'll all just move 300km north or south, pick the nearest regional centre and rebuild. Hell, a nuclear winter would probably be a nice change from 110+ degree heat waves. Of course, once the detritus clears, the lack of ozone layer would make going outside problematic.

I live about 4 KM out from a city centre, so someone else can worry about that :supaburn:

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

50 Foot Ant posted:

The US government swiss cheesed poo poo. One thing people forget is just how massive the US is. People from Europe are the worst about it, with their "LOL, you don't have high speed fiber-optic for everyone? Our country the size of a walk-in closet with the population of a McDonald's does!" and poo poo like that, aren't aware that you could pretty much fit the entire EU into the US.

This is true and really loving funny.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

What do you mean you guys don't have a high speed rail going to every corner of your country? :smug:

We pay ___ for petrol! *has free education, healthcare, and a good reliable public transit system*

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
They also have Europeans.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

50 Foot Ant posted:

The US government swiss cheesed poo poo. One thing people forget is just how massive the US is. People from Europe are the worst about it, with their "LOL, you don't have high speed fiber-optic for everyone? Our country the size of a walk-in closet with the population of a McDonald's does!" and poo poo like that, aren't aware that you could pretty much fit the entire EU into the US.

That isn't the problem fyi

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Helldump Immunity. posted:

Funny about that, one of the Goons in the AI thread spotted this:

MrYenko posted:

ID Fun time. Someone tell me what the hell this is? I have an inkling, but it can't possibly be what I'm thinking of.

:tinfoil:

https://www.google.com/maps/preview/@29.9711811,-81.655918,69m/data=!3m1!1e3
which looks remarkably like a modernized YO-3 or SA 2-37 at Reynolds Airpark, which is pretty :tinfoil: itself.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jan 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

I had never read this before, but it's loving incredible. Just like the Sweeper tales, it should be a goddamn movie.

• Locked thread