Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Dead Reckoning posted:

Funny about that, one of the Goons in the AI thread spotted this:

which looks remarkably like a modernized YO-3 or SA 2-37 at Reynolds Airpark, which is pretty :tinfoil: itself.

It's probably just a random kit experimental, I've seen a few like it flapping around here. I think he thinks it's a U2. Wingspan looks to small to be a U2 though.

EDIT: To build on 50 foot ants tales of Nazi tunneling, have a look at http://www.thirdreichruins.com/thuringen.htm

The reich was having an issue with airplane factories being blown the gently caress up, so they built an underground facility to build the worlds first operational jet fighter. Basically built the whole thing under a small mountain then chopped bulldozed the top of it to build a runway.

Rhymenoserous fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jan 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

CHILD RAPE IS FINE WHEN I LIKE THE RAPIST
All props to Mr Bill for rehosting the Humpermonkey stories, but there's parts where text has been deleted & merged (sometimes in midsentence which is confusing as gently caress), so the complete stories can be found on Creepypasta - alont with sequels that I didn't know existed!

Start with
http://creepypasta.wikia.com/wiki/Humper-Monkey%27s_Ghost_Story

50 foot ant, you need to get this stuff up on Amazon. It's much better than some of the well received (& financially rewarded) self published stuff up there and the author self publishing tools are suppossedly easy to work with.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
That story is loving awesome.

I always heard rumors of an oil and water pipeline going directly from Stewart to the Hudson River, and tunnels connecting Stewart and West Point. Never believed them, but I do now.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Rhymenoserous posted:

It's probably just a random kit experimental, I've seen a few like it flapping around here. I think he thinks it's a U2. Wingspan looks to small to be a U2 though.
He knew what it was, it's just a little odd to see an aircraft designed for covert surveillance operating on US soil. :tinfoil:

USMC503
Jan 15, 2012

For satisfactory performance while under the effects of hostile enemy alcohol.
9/11 was an inside job

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners
Why do my hands smell funny sometimes?

edit: Its NOT because I touch myself at night. I wash my hands afterwards.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

Why do my hands smell funny sometimes?

edit: Its NOT because I touch myself at night. I wash my hands afterwards.

Change your lotion. The scent lingers for a few handwashes.

vains
May 26, 2004

KirbyKhan posted:

Change your lotion. The scent lingers for a few handwashes.

dry rub bro

Helldump Immunity.
Aug 2, 2013

Fuck you

dry rub memory jacks are the best

justice4trayvawn
Oct 26, 2014

Helldump Immunity. posted:

how many e-4s you got in that mental spank bank bro?

Helldump Immunity.
Aug 2, 2013

Fuck you

justice4trayvawn posted:

how many e-4s you got in that mental spank bank bro?

3. Quality not quantity.

vains
May 26, 2004

Helldump Immunity. posted:

Nothing like a good memory jack. Its good for the mind.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Dead Reckoning posted:

There's a tunnel system that links all the buildings at the Air Force Academy. It was built for maintenance, but it also was intended to serve as a shelter for the Cadet Wing in the event of an atomic attack. It had marshaling areas and store rooms and even a morgue. That part is true. There were always rumors of more, though: hidden command posts, archives with copies of important federal documents, connections to other bases in the area. There was also a locked gate leading to more tunnels past the steam plant. No one knew where it went.

The rumor I always heard was that there was one big tunnel leading all the way to the old NORAD command center inside Cheyenne Mountain (about 20 miles away). I might say that's bullshit, but Cheyenne Mountain itself is a pretty fantastic feat of engineering, so who knows?

Analogical
May 20, 2013

EEOD? Why not, I could use a break from work

:911:
I'm pretty surprised there isn't a bigger focus on underground complexes and tunneling. It practically eliminates overhead recon and can be done cheaper and more effectively than it was in the past.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN
Guys on camp guard at Baharia in Iraq claimed they heard childrens' voices at night, but camp guard always sounded like a miserable job where you try not to waste your off-post time with bullshit like sleeping. sooo..

One story was that they pulled a decent number of bodies out of the lake when they were first building the place up. Executed by Qusay or Uday, forget which.

Baharia was a low-rent amusement park before the invasion. There were some colorful (but very faded) remnants of that, though I forget exactly what. A gazebo and some playground equipment, I think.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LG61C8swnGI

On the big Island in Hawaii, up in the Pohakuloa training area (which looks like loving Mordor by the way) a guy on firewatch for the gunline called me over out of the warmth of radio watch in the FDC truck to point out a "fire spirit". Out in the impact area (well no poo poo) there was a little "floating" orb of fire. In pitch black night, though, who can say how far away/how big it was. Probably just a fire started by a still-burning illum round that managed to find something flammable in all those lava rocks.

Also the big island has it's own God named Pele. Don't anger Pele. Don't take rocks off the island. I don't have any good Pele stories because I don't piss off island Gods. That's like day 1 stuff.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

gently caress Pele. I piss on his island.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

gently caress Pele. I piss on his island.

Spam musubis tho

RichieHimself
May 27, 2004

No way dude, she looks like Gargamel.

Victor Vermis posted:

One story was that they pulled a decent number of bodies out of the lake when they were first building the place up. Executed by Qusay or Uday, forget which.

Goddamn Uday and/or Qusay killin motherfuckers and haunting up our lakes. We stayed in a "palace" on FOB Courage during the first half of our time in Mosul and it was rumored to be a former whorehouse for the Hussein bros. When you first walk in it opened up into a large circular room with a high ceiling and 8 small balconies at the second floor level. Story was ladies would stand up in those balconies and Uday and Qusay would walk in and make their picks. They killed some of these ladies (allegedly) and threw their bodies in the lake that surrounded the back side of the palace.

The guys we replaced said they drained the lake when they first moved in and found a couple lady bodies. They also said the roof was haunted as gently caress and if you went up there at night you'd hear some weird sounds. I went up there one night and heard some poo poo that was probably just pigeons, but I wasn't a bad enough dude to find out. Too spooky for me, bro.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
My girlfriend was watching some gay rear end ghost stories show, it had some story from two fat POGs about some spoookkkyyyy ghoooostttt on some base in Iraq. Can't remember if it was Taji or Balad or what the gently caress ever. Bunkers + fobbits = goat loving ghost? :iiam:

Lazy Reservist
Nov 30, 2005

FUBIJAR
The CRG at Travis was set up in the old hospital, and the intel shop was located in what used to be the morgue. During Vietnam, Travis was one of the places for dignified transfer. Some of the intel folks who worked there swore that creepy stuff went down, especially at night. Voices, shadows, etc.

Jody Tocroach
May 28, 2008

Don't hit me with them negative waves so early in the morning.
In Sarajevo we had to guard mass graves, not from 'the enemy' but from wolves, boars, and family members trying to dig them up. At night you would hear bone crunching noises from animals eating corpses, and during the day it was sobbing women and children trying to find 'Tata' (daddy). It was also loving cold as hell and we didn't have goretex poo poo back then. Long nights man, longer days.

Jody Tocroach fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jan 21, 2015

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

JayZen posted:

In Sarajevo we had to guard mass graves not from 'the enemy' but from wolves, boars, and family members trying to dig them up. At night you would hear bone crunching noises from animals eating corpses, and during the day it was sobbing women and children trying to find 'daddy'. It was also loving cold as hell and we didn't have goretex poo poo back then. Long nights man, longer days.

:stare:

Helldump Immunity.
Aug 2, 2013

Fuck you

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Mike-o posted:

Bunkers + fobbits = goat loving ghost? :iiam:

I can believe if you were balls deep in a goat and got hellfired before you could finish you'd be pissed off enough to haunt some guard post.

"Some nights you can hear a goat baying faigntly. I looked through thermals and saw no signature. This time not because they are broken. It got louder and louder until I swear I heard a man screaming ALLAH INSUL... Then silence."

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

Casimir Radon posted:

Idiots read that our dorm was haunted by some dipshit who hung himself there in the 60s. The dorm was built in 1998. :iiam:

Maybe the dorm was built on an ancient dipshit burial ground.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
I heard a really good one: someone tried to tell me that every aircraft on static display is in a reserve status and can be restored to flyable in a certain amount of time. This was while we were next to an airpark that included a C-47 and A-26. I tried to explain that no one in the DoD (except maybe the 6th SOS) holds a Form 8 for the C-47 anymore, that planes drilled for holes to be mounted on sticks are generally no longer considered flyable, and that parts (radar, fire control, etc) for Century Series fighters are, for the most part, no longer available, but he was certain that his friend in logistics/fleet management had told him it was true.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
it would be pretty amazing if they brought back puff the magic dragon tho

Analogical
May 20, 2013

Spruce Goose v. ISIS

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Dead Reckoning posted:

I heard a really good one: someone tried to tell me that every aircraft on static display is in a reserve status and can be restored to flyable in a certain amount of time. This was while we were next to an airpark that included a C-47 and A-26. I tried to explain that no one in the DoD (except maybe the 6th SOS) holds a Form 8 for the C-47 anymore, that planes drilled for holes to be mounted on sticks are generally no longer considered flyable, and that parts (radar, fire control, etc) for Century Series fighters are, for the most part, no longer available, but he was certain that his friend in logistics/fleet management had told him it was true.

Yeah, it's absolutely NOT true. A lot of them became statics because of irreparable damage. Nellis almost got an AWACS this way.

Although the EC-121 at Tinker still still fueled and oiled until 2011 or so. Whoops.

Helldump Immunity.
Aug 2, 2013

Fuck you

Godholio posted:

Yeah, it's absolutely NOT true. A lot of them became statics because of irreparable damage. Nellis almost got an AWACS this way.

Although the EC-121 at Tinker still still fueled and oiled until 2011 or so. Whoops.

Lol is that AWACS still parked at Nellis?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

No. I've seen some pictures of it completely stripped though...dome (including the entire strut assembly from the J-compartment of the fuselage), hatches, PDS antennae, etc, all gone. Google maps/earth show a clear parking spot where it sat. I don't see it at DM yet, though (I don't know how old those images are). The J-compartment would make it easy to spot.

The airframe is done, they're not going to rebuild it.

Edit:

Too bad it wasn't the very next one off the line. gently caress that jet.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Feb 6, 2015

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Godholio posted:

No. I've seen some pictures of it completely stripped though...dome (including the entire strut assembly from the J-compartment of the fuselage), hatches, PDS antennae, etc, all gone. Google maps/earth show a clear parking spot where it sat. I don't see it at DM yet, though (I don't know how old those images are). The J-compartment would make it easy to spot.

The airframe is done, they're not going to rebuild it.

Edit:

Too bad it wasn't the very next one off the line. gently caress that jet.

I love the Air Force treats a super expensive jet like an El Camino with a bad transmission in the trailer park

RescueFreak
Sep 8, 2013

Some Italians thought there was a secret underground base at Aviano, like it was the Area 51 of Europe or some poo poo.

ALS building at Lackland was haunted. It was an old hospital at Kelly Field, no one wanted to go downstairs because that was supposedly where the morgue was.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I keep hearing about "War Stocks" which is apparently a series of warehouses (or bunkers, depending on who you hear it from) in Montreal and Halifax with equipment, vehicles and arms for four full divisions in storage for WW3. This is apparently all the stuff that was removed from the inventory after the cold war budget cuts, M109s, ADATS, Leo 1s, FN FALs etc.

Is there an American version of this story or are Canadians just paranoid?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

There are definitely supplies, but I don't know how much. In theory many of the aircraft stored at AMARC could be returned to service. Many of them are, actually...old fighters stored here after retirement have been returned to service as target drones. Now that we're basically out of F-4s, the QF-16 is a thing.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

We thought ahead and keep most of our War Stocks in Stuttgart, Sembach and Ramstein, so we can be ready for WW3: Pegidan Reich

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vains
May 26, 2004

There's MPS shipping too.

• Locked thread