Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
January
Jul 5, 2009
Admittedly, I'm not technical in this respect. I'm concerned about messing things up with our AV setup. I recently purchased a new receiver, a Yamaha RX-A740, to replace our antiquated Onkyo HT-R8230, which doesn't have HDMI ports. Up to now, our HDMI inputs (PC and PS3) have been running directly to the TV, which is a Sharp AQUOS Quattron HDTV. Then the TV has been hooked up to the Onkyo with a standard RCA cable.

Our primary goal, even with the new receiver, is still to prioritize video quality. There is already some lag due - I suppose - to the refresh rate on the TV, and we've tweaked the TV settings as much as possible to try to counteract this. So any more lag would really make things unplayable. As gaming is our primary use for this setup rather than music or movies, my question is: should we connect everything (PC, PS3, and someday a PS4) to the new receiver, or should we keep everything hooked up to the TV? No improvement in audio is worthwhile if the video suffers.

The customer service guy assured me that there's a HDMI pass-through on the receiver and that the video wouldn't suffer from being passed through the receiver before going to the TV... I can't find anything concrete on the internet to support this. Is there the potential of lag with a HDMI pass-through? Would it be safer to keep everything hooked up to the TV?

TL;DR: Bought a new receiver with HDMI. Goal is still to prioritize video over audio because we use our TV for gaming. Will hooking PC and console game systems to the new receiver and running a HDMI pass-through to the TV reduce video quality and/or increase lag? Or is it simply better? Any other pros and cons that I should be aware of? We have a PC and PS3 and will be purchasing a PS4.

Thanks for your help!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

January
Jul 5, 2009
Following up... I decided to hook the PS3 and PC up to the receiver and then connect the receiver to the TV. Lag hasn't been a problem. The PS3 graphics appear maybe a little darker, but no big deal.

The only issue is now every time I switch from the PS3 back to the PC, I have to restart the PC in order to get sound to come back. This never happened with the old receiver. If anyone knows the fix for this, that would be helpful. The operating system is Windows 7 Home Premium.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Make sure HDMI out is your primary audio output. When you switch, the PC might see it as the HDMI cable being disconnected, and changes the default audio.

January
Jul 5, 2009
Thank you! I will definitely check that out.

• Locked thread