Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Hahahahahah oh my god the people in the last thread weren't joking about Blaine and Karofsky

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Emerson Cod posted:

The first episode was amazing and was heavily hyped up by Fox and widely available before its official premiere. The first season hit a lot of the same notes but there was a big tonal shift after episode 13. I don't know if it was a decision on the part of Ryan Murphy, Fox, or whoever, but the show lost a lot of its edge and darkness and started to take on the qualities of the sort of "yay high school" show it started off as more of a send-up of.

There were also a lot less musical numbers in the first season. As the show did more and more songs, it seemed to spend less and less time on actual character development.

Due to an atypical production schedule, the first 13 episodes were all written and shot before the second episode had even aired, so they had minimal audience and critical feedback to go by. That explains a lot, I think.

Illuen
Feb 18, 2011

All comedy is derived from fear.
The problem with Glee is that the first 13 episodes were pretty great black comedy about high school, which, while critically acclaimed, does not sell nearly as many iTunes singles as a wildly inconsistent show stuffed to the brim with songs. Also, Ryan Murphy is great with conceptualizing and starting a show, but cannot sustain a quality product to save his goddamn life (see also: Nip/Tuck, The New Normal and the first four episodes of every season of American Horror Story). He falls in love with his dolls (Lea Michele and Jessica Lange) and ends up more focused on playing with them then actually constructing a plot.

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe
"Good Glee" is a gently melancholic show about high school archetypes learning that not everyone 'makes it' no matter how much they want to. Bad Glee is the same show but WE'RE ALL GONNA MAKE IT BRAH

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Well I don't know about y'all but I really liked the premiere. :buddy: A lot of wicked smart moments with tons of heartfelt writing as well.

Sue is definitely the most tired and useless part of the show, but I'm willing to accept that she needs to be there doing this...thing...in order for the current plot to work.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat
I kind of enjoyed the first episode of this season - a lot of it was devoted to showing off Lea Michele's legs and dumping on Rachel, both of which are things I greatly appreciate.

The music was also palatable. I've had a weeks-long obsession with Uninvited, so hearing that was a nice surprise. I had no idea it was coming, and have been scouring Youtube for various covers of late (it's apparently popular on foreign Idol-type shows.) I wasn't as impressed with Suddenly Seymour despite loving all things Little Shop.

The second episode was back to the usual disappointing Glee however. Silly contrived circumstances, the usual search for talent, Sue's predictable machinations. Oh well. At least the show will be over soon.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
I have two bottles of wine and I'm about to watch this godforsaken show.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
Haven't read the thread, but I saw my DVR recorder this and on a whim decided to give it a shot. I... actually thought it was pretty good! The first episode was better than the second, but still, certainly way better than any of the random episode I saw the last couple seasons.

For one thing, it was really self aware (Rachel: "The only thing I'm famous for being on the worst television show ever!", "I know just what Glee Club needs to reinvigorate it, the old gang!", etc) which really helped give the right amount of weight to different things. Sue as Evil Principle could have been gagworthy, but they managed to push it far enough into the absurd that it worked. Blaine with Karofsky is a total joke, but they largely framed it as ridiculous and played it for humor. Schue didn't show up much but his character is played out and tired, and in fact they literally had him say as much.

Similarly, the old crew being back at McKinley is good for the show, but doesn't really make any sense plotwise. So the solution is to just stick them in anyway and almost completely ignore that angle and not bog down the plot with it, giving only a throwaway line about how they obviously do have their own lives and they'll figure out on their own how to make appearances.

Just generally it felt like they knew the last two seasons were kinda bullshit wheel-spinning. They very quickly completely wrapped up all of that bullshit and started a new (old) story. Felt a lot like a soft reboot, in a good way.

As for the new Glee Kids... fat kid is a good singer but otherwise mostly boring. Maybe he'll grow on me. Jane is cool but the Poaching conflict felt like typical forced BS. The incest twins seem fun so far, and I like Gay Kid too, he's got a personality of some sort. They're a much fuckin' better batch than the last one, that's for drat sure. Well, what little I saw of Kitty in the past, sometimes she was okay, so that makes sense she's the only one that gets to stay.

PS Suddenly Seymour is one of my favorite fuckin' musical numbers, so even without Ellen Greene this show gets points for that.

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Jan 10, 2015

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Pierson posted:

I've always been curious about this show everyone seems to hate so much. Was it one of those shows that 'showed a lot of promise' before pissing it all away or was it actually good at one point and ow isn't? Are the early seasons worth watching before it all goes to poo poo?

The first two seasons are for the most part really good, season 3 had a lot of problems, but it still felt like the same show, after that everything went to poo poo.
One of the main problems i think, is that instead of showcasing a mix of new songs and old classics, the show started chasing what was popular at the time, so all we heard was what was in the top 20 at the time of the episode, and awful showtunes (not that there are any other kinds.).
Also with half the kids graduating after season 3, they broke up a group that really worked together, and replaced it with two separate boring storylines and a bunch of new students nobody liked.
I can't remember when i dropped this show, but i will check out season 6, mostly out of nostalgia for how good it used to be.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
The wine is probably talking but that wasn't completely awful. The metacommentary was great.

I couldn't stop laughing at the Warblers claiming they had girlfriends. It reminded me of my time at an all-male high school.

Rachel is still awful.

As for the new kids. They're okay so far. It's a bit sad Sue forcibly transferred the others out.

I read on an unreliable site that we'd see Unique and SUGAR this season. I'm hoping we get a season of the latter character.

courtney_beth
Jul 23, 2007

I SHALL NOT USE MY
HOOVES AS HANDS
Up until last season I was all for the Klaine pairing but now I really enjoy the Karofsky and Blaine pairing. It seems like they're in a healthy, adult relationship. Started off as friends first and are really enjoying each other. Plus the Yogi and Booboo thing was pretty cute.

Watching Kurt cry and be in pain was great. I'm kind of over Kurt as the victim so I am happy that he's feeling pain. :)

I'm going to pretend that the characters are the same age as the actors and figure we had a huge time jump. That's the way I can only explain how they're all just hanging out on campus still. Now they're adult rolemodels instead of 20 yr olds.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Wait, Karofsky as in the guy who bullied Kurt?

Illuen
Feb 18, 2011

He had a decent storyline where he was outed and tried to kill himself. He left for a long time then made amends with Kurt for all the poo poo he did. I think his story is probably one of the best handled the show did.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
The new fat dude is pretty cute. Might as well stick around till the end.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

courtney_beth posted:

Watching Kurt cry and be in pain was great. I'm kind of over Kurt as the victim so I am happy that he's feeling pain. :)

It's so strange to think I once watched this show entirely for Kurt and now he's easily my least favorite character.

courtney_beth
Jul 23, 2007

I SHALL NOT USE MY
HOOVES AS HANDS

Spergatory posted:

It's so strange to think I once watched this show entirely for Kurt and now he's easily my least favorite character.

This.

I feel like he's the cause of his own misery. He has nothing to complain about regarding Blaine and Karofsky because he told Blaine he was over their relationship because of towels or something. Blaine is an adult and can date who he wants. Somehow, Karofsky ends up being the mature and happy one who actually is healthy for Blaine? I'm sure Glee will do something to gently caress this up but realistically they look pretty good after two episodes.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

courtney_beth posted:

This.

I feel like he's the cause of his own misery. He has nothing to complain about regarding Blaine and Karofsky because he told Blaine he was over their relationship because of towels or something. Blaine is an adult and can date who he wants. Somehow, Karofsky ends up being the mature and happy one who actually is healthy for Blaine? I'm sure Glee will do something to gently caress this up but realistically they look pretty good after two episodes.

Well first, Kurt has to hurry up and grab that much sought after title of "First Glee Club Staff Member to gently caress a Student" and hook up with Gay Kid. (Sandy was Framed!)

AnimeJune
Dec 3, 2007

"We're dead. Bartowski's got a gun."

courtney_beth posted:

This.

I know, right?

Returned to the glee tag on Tumblr for old times' sake. Deliciously outraged Klainer tears and Kurtofsky pirate tears and poorly hidden fanboners for the inevitable gifs of one or the other of their beloved characters crying in angsty manpain because no one understands their inner struggle (don't even get me started on Kurt stans - they must be completely exhausted/dehydrated at this point).

Meanwhile the Blainofsky shippers are like, "Wait, what? We're canon? Oh. Cool." They were always a chill bunch.

Edit: I was watching this with my mum and she audibly choked during the line, "I fed my worm to a Warbler" line from That's So Rachel

AnimeJune fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jan 10, 2015

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Oh god you mean I have 2 episodes to catch up with? :smithicide:

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
No Rarity. You can do it. It will take all the willpower you can muster, but you can escape this cycle.

You must do it. It's for your own good.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Mo0 posted:

No Rarity. You can do it. It will take all the willpower you can muster, but you can escape this cycle.

You must do it. It's for your own good.

It's too late

I KNOW THAT GLEE LOVES ME

:negative:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I didn't hate it.

It's me.

I'm the monster :gonk:

courtney_beth
Jul 23, 2007

I SHALL NOT USE MY
HOOVES AS HANDS

Awwww. :swoon: :3: :swoon:

Max Adler is really a wasted talent on this show.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

courtney_beth posted:

So Kurt is single now? I find it amusing that the one actor who is actually gay is single and the two actors that are straight actors playing gay characters are in a relationship.

AnimeJune
Dec 3, 2007

courtney_beth posted:

Ironically, the only cast member who has actually IN a champion high school show choir, and he's never gotten a song. He didn't even get the solo during his suicide montage (admittedly, singing while hanging yourself might have been difficult).

A Long Way Down
Jul 14, 2009

I am Jack's complete lack of surprise

Grimey Drawer

AnimeJune posted:

I know, right?

Returned to the glee tag on Tumblr for old times' sake. Deliciously outraged Klainer tears and Kurtofsky pirate tears and poorly hidden fanboners for the inevitable gifs of one or the other of their beloved characters crying in angsty manpain because no one understands their inner struggle (don't even get me started on Kurt stans - they must be completely exhausted/dehydrated at this point).

Meanwhile the Blainofsky shippers are like, "Wait, what? We're canon? Oh. Cool." They were always a chill bunch.

loving Tumblr.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Aww, AnimeJune fluffing Karofsky like it's her job. Really does feel like old times. :v:

I dunno if I ever said it here but I quite disliked the way that Kurt and Blaine ended up in season 5. They were broken without actually realizing it, or denying it whenever they did. Blaine was the same daydreaming kid that he was in high school, simultaneously the most committed and untrustworthy partner to be with. And Kurt was, despite all the best intentions and all the love in the world, coming across like the type of hair-trigger control freak that no one should ever actually want to be. The two of them make big comforting heartfelt speeches to each other that go in one ear and out the other, temporary salves for recurring wounds.

So I'm actually really really glad that they're hellsa broken up right now. It's probably the best thing the show could have done with them.

That said...y'realize there's no way they're not gonna end up back together, yeah? Ryan Murphy, despite all appearances, is not a cynic. He is actually the biggest loving sappiest, mushiest, most hopeless romantic in the world; there's no way Kurt and Blaine aren't reuniting in some sappy mushy hopelessly romantic way. This thing with Karofsky is surprisingly funny and not terrible, but it's also obviously meant to line up with the whole The Darkest Timeline thing they've got going on this season. Finn is gone, glee club is gone, Schuester's coaching the rivals, Rachel's crashed and burned, and Kurt's ex-fiance is now dating his ex-stalker. These are all meant to be problems that will be fixed. (Well, aside from the whole dead Finn thing I guess, but hey y'never know)

The most we can hope for is that they don't throw Karofsky too far under the bus in that process, 'cuz the character really doesn't deserve that at this point.

AnimeJune
Dec 3, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

Aww, AnimeJune fluffing Karofsky like it's her job. Really does feel like old times. :v:
I'm a freelance fluffer for hated characters now. Currently fluffing Alistair from Dragon Age Origins.

quote:

The most we can hope for is that they don't throw Karofsky too far under the bus in that process, 'cuz the character really doesn't deserve that at this point.
Eh. I'm guessing it'll be one of those "oh he conveniently runs into his True Love (played by Random Hot Extra) two minutes after woefully giving his blessing to Kurt and Blaine's reconciliation" deals. Pair him off like a bear-shaped salt shaker and we'll never worry about him again.

Illuen
Feb 18, 2011

AnimeJune posted:

I'm a freelance fluffer for hated characters now. Currently fluffing Alistair from Dragon Age Origins.
Eh. I'm guessing it'll be one of those "oh he conveniently runs into his True Love (played by Random Hot Extra) two minutes after woefully giving his blessing to Kurt and Blaine's reconciliation" deals. Pair him off like a bear-shaped salt shaker and we'll never worry about him again.

Calling it, that postmodern gay teen will fall head over heels for him (because honestly, who wouldn't fall for Max Adler?)

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

BrianWilly posted:

This thing with Karofsky is surprisingly funny and not terrible, but it's also obviously meant to line up with the whole The Darkest Timeline thing they've got going on this season. Finn is gone, glee club is gone, Schuester's coaching the rivals, Rachel's crashed and burned, and Kurt's ex-fiance is now dating his ex-stalker. These are all meant to be problems that will be fixed. (Well, aside from the whole dead Finn thing I guess, but hey y'never know)

I'd be really impressed if they could bring Finn back as a main cast member. You can do it, Murphy! I believe. :allears:

bubblelubble
Feb 26, 2013

scribbled out the truth,
paying in naivety.
If you have the audacity to tell me Darren Criss's performance in that break-up scene wasn't award-worthy, you need to lock that goddamn front door cos I am coming for you with my stick :colbert:

AnimeJune
Dec 3, 2007

Illuen posted:

Calling it, that postmodern gay teen will fall head over heels for him (because honestly, who wouldn't fall for Max Adler?)
Genius! Karofsky then gets carted off to prison while Rachel and Kurt duet on "Thank Heaven for Little Girls" from Gigi while everyone Learns a Special Lesson about statutory rape laws. The season finale will show Karofsky and his new True Love prison bunkmate cheering for the Nude Erections while watching Nationals on the prison television.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I thought Karofsky was going to find his true love after opening up his pie shop.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Mordiceius posted:

I thought Karofsky was going to find his true love after opening up his pie shop.

Delicious.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
I have to admit, the Tightrope performance is growing on me, as much as I don't want it to.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

- The Unholy Trinity nailed Problem.
- The writing was better than it was for most of the show's run.
- The prospect that Rachel, who got the biggest part on Broadway and did an excellent job at it, can't get a job off-Broadway or on some D-list celebrity reality show is a completely bullshit plot device.
- Virtually every song that isn't a Lea Michele solo is a wasted opportunity.
- Football homo can't sing for poo poo.
- The drawing filter in Take On Me and the second episode was atrocious.
- No one is going to give any shits about any of these new losers except the black chick, who should have been on the show years ago.

Let's run this poo poo into the ground. The spoilers make it sound like it's going to get worse than we ever thought possible.

the truth fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jan 12, 2015

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

the truth posted:

- The prospect that Rachel, who got the biggest part on Broadway and did an excellent job at it, can't get a job off-Broadway or on some D-list celebrity reality show is a completely bullshit plot device.

I never got the impression that she even made an effort to? She just immediately gave up and "went into hiding". Which is stupid, yes, but I don't trust the writers for a second to choose a good replacement for Rachel as main character, annoying though she may be.

You know those set-ups where there's a really evil Crime Lord in control of a city, but at least you're familiar with how he runs things and it ain't all bad, so the Superhero doesn't want to oust him from power because that would just leave a power vacuum, leading to horrific violence and quite possibly an even worse despot in charge? It's that sort of situation.

edit:
I forgot to include the point of my post. Rachel's good for the show, and that's why I'm glad they just went "gently caress that other poo poo she's back in McKinley for some reason :dealwithit:"

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jan 12, 2015

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I think the worst atrocity Glee has committed this season is breaking up Rachel's dads. Why does Ryan Murphy hate happiness? (Excited for Blainofsky but that's only because I love bears.)

courtney_beth
Jul 23, 2007

I SHALL NOT USE MY
HOOVES AS HANDS
Perhaps Jeff Goldblum was too busy to come back. They didn't even have to mention him or the impeding divorce. All they had to say is "your father is downstairs ready for dinner and thought I should check on you..." and start the scene. Or something. Rachel's life has to fall apart and that includes her stable home life and familiar surroundings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Next episode songs! Lotsa duets. :3:

Quinn's probably singing to Puck or something lame like that but I like to imagine Tina is her next conquest.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jan 14, 2015

• Locked thread