Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Barudak
May 7, 2007

Bobby The Rookie posted:

Is Endless Legend good or is it for babies?

Its a 4x game that basically said "hey man, lets make it so the races are more than just free starting tech and small +/- resource differences" but its big call out on the box feature of quests are often buggy or so inconvenient as to be unfinishable and only matter at all if you're going for the games equivalent of Alpha Centauri's stupid loving become pure light victory and you have to fuckin love really mediocre turn based strategy combat to not just slap auto resolve at every opportunity. Oh and despite having a tutorial pretty much every race has a mechanic that's core to their gameplay that's never explained nor has a tooltip telling you how to use it to compound on some other unexplained systems the game is stacked on.

Pretty fun though, that aside. A solid $10-$15 title assuming you dig the genre and are not currently reliant on your mother for both mobility and sustenance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Hoodrich posted:

this sounds good. i didn't care for endless space, how does it compare to that

Never played it so ??? I can say that the make or break point for the game is does the following race sound cool: A group of cultists that are a) impossible to play until you figure out some of the games semi-hidden bullshit involving city burroughs and happiness and b) an inventive 4x race because you can only ever build one city no take backs and have to conquer the globe by using an endless supply of mediocre but completely free minor factions units given to you after you indoctrinate their city to your death cult.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Heran Bago posted:

Of the following TG16/PCE CD games which are easier and which should I avoid?

Star Parodia
R-Type Complete
Super Darius 2
Cotton
Gradius 2
Fantasy Star Soldier
Robo Aleste
Super Raiden
Spriggan Mark 2
Zero Wing

Zero Wing is super mediocre but if you want to play the thing that spawned "All Your Base Are Belong to Us" then here comes the year 2000 via the year 1991. I don't really like Gradius games because the power-up system is extra punishing on death and individually are kind of garbage which leads me to also disliking Star Parodia since its Gradius but with *wacky* art. Super Darius 2 involves shooting robot fish spaceships so its cool in my book.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Blackheart posted:

Someone said "Sparkster is like Sonic except not bad" is this true

Sparkster is a novel game but the only thing it shares with sonic is being a platformer rodent who can go fast in bursts. The remake is not as good in my opinion and the sequel changes a lot of stuff up.

D4 is a decent mystery adventure game (take that as the faint praise it is) that is surprisingly good with Kinect. You'll still use a controller mind you. If you dig point and click and supernatural mysteries that very badly want to be creepier and more surreal then they are its a must download for free this month.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

So Update on D4: Lol this game is never going to be finished and it ends on a cliffhanger so early you can't make heads or tails of the story. Sorry, Swery, nobody has a Bone and gives a poo poo about this game.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

liquid courage posted:

i'm interested in playing an smt game, but i'm not interested in persona. which would imp zone recommend?

Either Shin Megami Tensei 3: Nocturne if you can snag a copy or Shin Megami Tensei 4 if you want an easier experience with a lot more quality of life improvements*

*Map of Tokyo Neighborhoods not included, hope you like learning rough geography well enough to visit someday.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

liquid courage posted:

as soon as someone mentioned high school sim bit, i lost interest. sounds dumb as hell. digital devil saga looks like it might be more my speed, i guess.

DDS is pretty rad but it doesn't mechanically play like any of the others since there is no demon fusion or capturing so it might be misleading if that's where you start. You need both games because they're one story and the first half provides 0 conclusion when it ends.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Frog Act posted:

there's III, IV, VII, and VIII

i remember trying to play VIII as a kid and absolutely hating it. III/IV are supposed to be really good right? these are ports of the DS version with updated graphics.

III is garbage. It is an amazing remake though because despite making so few changes they are all so catastrophically bad that despite being 20 years newer its worse than the NES original.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

script kitty posted:

Are FFIV and FFIII on Steam any good? There's a sale all weekend and I was like wondering cause I played FFIV on the DS and it was super fun and challenging. A Good Pre-Bedtime game. How do the Steam versions compare?

does this mean no i should not buy them

The game is bad due to a variety of fundamental design decisions so flagrant and clear cut that it will blow your mind that most were added for the remake.

Do not buy FF3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Bobnumerotres posted:

does shadow of mordor have the same problem as AC where it's terribly easy and youre never in any actual danger

More so, combat is Arkham-style. The game likes to throw tons of enemies at you and they hit really hard at first and then you get more health and suddenly fights are just a conga-line of murder. I did not care for it at all and quit when I realized bumping off war bosses was 100% pointless.

• Locked thread