Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

THE PENETRATOR posted:

is dead space good

It's pretty good. I liked 1 better than 2. It's basically just a third person action game with light horror elements, though. Don't expect it to be a straight up horror game. Never played 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Since they're on sale, has anyone The Legend of Korra game or Dangan Ronpa 2? I'm interested in the Korra game because it's made by Platinum and they rule, but it didn't get good reviews and I've never watched the show. I like visual novels such as Phoenix Wright and I read the Let's Play of Dangan Ronpa 1 which seemed cool, but I'm not sure if the second one is worth it and I would like some Imp feedback.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

I just remembered that in Dead Space 2 they had Isaac talk and he had some epic action movie lines. It's fun, but it moves further away from the horror stuff.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Thug Lessons posted:

Dead Space 2 was probably better than the first gameplay-wise, at least up until the end, but these are story-driven resident evil games and the way they did it was embarrassing.

Yeah. 2 did this thing where you get the impression that the developers were sitting around the room designing a cool shooter and then someone was like "Wait, let's add a scare" so they made a loud noise play behind you at certain parts. It's really goofy.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Looper posted:

The writing is still hilarious garbage, as are the characters. Avoid, imo

Are the mysteries good at least? I loved figuring them out in Phoenix Wright.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

AHungryRobot posted:

how is infamous second son? is it better or worse than the first two games?

I thought it was better than the first two, but it's nothing groundbreaking. There are different power sets and everything is more polished but it's still pretty much just shoehorning superpowers into a third person shooter. You get movement abilities which are pretty epic, though.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

rediscover posted:

is recettear good? it's on sale and it looks fun

It's worth the sale price for sure.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

The Taint Reaper posted:

So if I thought Final Fantasy 13 was a tedious slog with an uncertain battle system that took me 50 hours, how much will I like 13-2 and 13-3?

Buy both of them anyway.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Is Senran Kagura Shinovi Versus Let's Get Physical Edition good? Haha, just kidding, I'm going to buy it anyway.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Pumprag posted:

Is Sim City 4 good?

Yeah, but it's kind of weird. Instead of a mega-city you make several smaller districts which make up a mega-city.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

thuly posted:

I haven't played any of the far crys, should I just play 4?

I haven't played 2 or 4 but 1 and 3 are fun. 1 was made by different people though so it's a more traditional modern fps. It's linear, but you do have some freedom to explore. There's something that happens about 1/3 to 1/2 way into the game that causes a lot of people to quit for some reason, but the game is fine the whole way through. 3 is open world and has lots of Ubisoft open world padding collectables but you can just ignore them and it's a fun game.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Turtlicious posted:

Is hunniepop good?

It keeps showing up on my Steam and I read some of the user reviews and it sounds kind of flat. Like you just memorize likes/dislikes and then play some match 3 game. Some people said the writing was okay? I don't know. It sounds pretty meh for a dating sim but I've never really played one so I have no frame of reference.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

MPLS to NOLA posted:

i'm on the 3rd phoenix wright game and it's bad so far. are the apollo justice or miles edgeworth games fun?

The third one is the best, IMO. It has kind of a slow start but cases 4 and 5 are super epic. Apollo Justice isn't bad but it doesn't live up to the rest of the series and in the overarching plot Phoenix really overshadows Apollo. The Edgeworth games are fun but it starts to get a little contrived towards the end of the first one.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Persona 3 and 4 are actually pretty good. I don't like 3 as much (didn't care for the characters, there is EXTREMELY little to no plot development until the very end of the game, etc.), but 4 is cool. 4 is more along the lines of a murder mystery, you are gradually fed clues as the story progresses, and at one point you have to actually solve the mystery or you get the bad ending (the game makes it fairly obvious, though). The combat is pretty fun, it's basically a modified press turn. Instead of demons for your party members you have your friends who level up alongside you and learn new abilities. Their persona's don't change, but you can freely swap personas during combat and outside of combat, and they function like traditional SMT demons (plenty of fusing and customization is possible). The high school sim part isn't really accurate, honestly. There are several social links in the game, where you basically spend time with certain characters and see a little visual novel style scene. As you improve your social links your ability to fuse personas improves, and for your party members they unlock new abilities in combat. Plus I think 4 has great visual design and music.

They're not on par with main line SMT games, but Persona is a pretty fun side series that I think you should at least give a shot. Note that both 3 and 4 have really long intros before you can actually do anything interesting.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

thuly posted:

Is a persona at least as cool as a jojo stand or is it just ff8 all over again

Is talking to people hypergay like it is in star ocean

If I'm over Japan is it possible to give a poo poo about the setting

How is the writing compared to other jrpgs, and what makes it more compelling to play through than other modern games in the genre

Did twewy already say everything persona wants to tell me

They're not as cool as JoJo stands, but the Persona series is pretty clearly influenced by JoJo.

Talking to people is not that bad. The one thing that's pretty dumb is the lead translator for Persona absolutely refuses to translate honorifics for some reason.

The setting is more about a small rural town than specifically Japan or anything. I'd say it is comparable to part 4's Morioh.

The writing, for 4 at least was enough to keep my interest the whole way through. The mystery is pretty well designed, and all the main characters are likable on at least some level. It's definitely above average.

I still haven't really played twewy since I'm a stupid idiot, sorry.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

liquid courage posted:

is rogue galaxy for ps2 good?

I didn't get very far, but it had a cool art style but everything else was pretty forgettable. I remember it was easy to learn some ability that would basically 1shot every enemy group at the start of the game so I breezed through the early stuff. Maybe not using that would make it more interesting or something.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Oh. I mean, no it isn't.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Frog Act posted:

there's III, IV, VII, and VIII

i remember trying to play VIII as a kid and absolutely hating it. III/IV are supposed to be really good right? these are ports of the DS version with updated graphics.

I really like 3 and 8. Wasn't so crazy on the DS version of 4, but I don't really like 4 much anyway. 7 is still a fun game. 13 and 13-2 have their flaws but honestly they're good and fun. 13 has a long and bad intro though.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Looper posted:

Also I bought Nocturne having never played a non-P3/P4 SMT game, what should I expect?

It's pretty different. Party members are disposable demons. You get a lot more customization of how your main character develops. I think Nocturne is harder in a good way. Use fog breath and pierce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

BKPR posted:

is the newest Thief worth playing? like, if we pretend it didn't have some big legacy behind it, is it a decent game?

No.

• Locked thread