Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Its Miller Time
Dec 4, 2004

Stuart passed away this morning after another bout with cancer at the age of 49.

He was the face of Sportscenter and ESPN to me growing up. He had a big hand in bringing sports and sports journalism to where it is today.

I'm sure there's countless videos of him, but these were two I quickly found that warmed my heart.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWC6epaP3UA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SN_uK-11CJk

Jimmy V ESPY speech: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yl_0ieqSi7Q

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
The reason I started watching SportsCenter when I was 10. RIP :smith:

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I shared a lot of great football moments with Rich and Stu. The way he approached the bullshit hand he was dealt was inspirational. That word gets thrown around a lot so it might have lost a bit of its significance but Stuart Scott quite literally inspired me.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Never heard of this guy but he seems nice and everyone likes him

BrownThunder
Oct 26, 2005

EXTEND BEN!
Forever and ever and ever

Hannah Storm and Rich Eisen react : http://deadspin.com/rich-eisen-hannah-storm-others-react-live-to-stuart-1677360761

Kind of hard to watch :(

Its Miller Time
Dec 4, 2004

blue squares posted:

Have you not watched Sportscenter the last 15 years.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Cancer sucks.

Though I have a feeling that, with all the coverage, I'll probably be tired of hearing about it very, very soon.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

One of my favorite hosts of SportsCenter growing up. RIP.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.
He's finally become cooler than the other side of the pillow RIP

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
gently caress me really? This loving sucks.

HarlanHell
Nov 16, 2012

Nevermind that shit here comes Mingo!

Catfish Noodlin posted:

drat it beaten.

Stuart Scott was my constant companion throughout college since every dorm, and house I lived in had ESPN on pretty much 24/7. Cool guy. The story of his eye injury will never not be hilarious.

RIP

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Tzen posted:

One of my favorite hosts of SportsCenter growing up. RIP.

Same. :smith:

Well, this sucks.

bobby2times
Jan 9, 2010
Why couldnt it have been Chris Berman?

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

HarlanHell posted:

The story of his eye injury will never not be hilarious.

Go on...:allears:

ChuckHead
Jun 24, 2004

2000 years Assholes.

Catfish Noodlin posted:

Came here to post this.

Jaweeeblop
Nov 12, 2004

bobby2times posted:

Why couldnt it have been Chris Berman?

He has taken full advantage of the rejuvinating powers of deux deux deux

Rod Munch
Jul 17, 2001

Heaven has a JUGS machine waiting for him.

packsmack
Jan 6, 2013
I didn't even realize he was sick. I was watching a lot less sportscenter since I started a new job. Very sad to hear about this.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Eisen and Scott was one of the best pairs in SportsCenter. Only Olbermann and Patrick were better.

Seeing Eisen talk about him was rough, and actually made me tear up a bit.

God Bless you Stuart. :smith:.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

Stuart Scott's enthusiasm is part of why I fell in love with football. It feels like I lost a friend of 20 years.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

I know TFF likes to poo poo on ESPN, but give them this. They have had some great anchors with SportsCenter. Scott was one of their best.

Btw..

Don't click on this. :smith:

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
The National Review is dumb as poo poo.

HarlanHell
Nov 16, 2012

Nevermind that shit here comes Mingo!

Scott was at Jets training camp watching the receivers make catches from the jugs machine. Anyway after watching awhile he talked them into letting him make a few catches. So they fire it up, and shoot a few to him. Scott proceeds to tell them to stop shooting that weak rear end poo poo at him, and give him one at the machines top speed. One of the Jets receivers was like dude I wouldn't do that. Scott basically blew him off and proceeded to almost lose his eye.

HarlanHell fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jan 4, 2015

say no to bats
Aug 15, 2001
Rumblee tumblee, climin' a hunny tree
Really sad news. Scott was as good as anyone ESPN ever had and was part of that magical era when ESPN was really good and full of talent. He was always a lot of fun to watch on TV and when he and Eisen were paired up it was as good as anything they've ever had on.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
:rip: in peace.

Rex Deckard
Jul 15, 2004

Going to go watch those Sportcenter commercials on Youtube all day now to feel less sad.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Stuart Scott was often marginally annoying but he was funny too

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

HarlanHell posted:

Scott was at Jets training camp watching the receivers make catches from the jugs machine. Anyway after watching awhile he talked them into letting him make a few catches. So they fire it up, and shoot a few to him. Scott proceeds to tell them to stop shooting that weak rear end poo poo at him, and give him one at the machines top speed. One of the Jets receivers was like dude I wouldn't do that. Scott basically blew him off and proceeded to almost lose his eye.

That's a great story.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
That's really sad :( He was a great anchor.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Catfish Noodlin posted:

:drat: son, way too soon.

So sad when I heard this. Watching that ESPN retropsective I had tears in my eyes.

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh
I always thought he was really genuine and fun to watch sad to see him go.

polio king
Jun 19, 2004

blue squares posted:

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level
At least he made it to the big White Castle in the sky before all the weirdos showed up

https://screen.yahoo.com/sports-center-ray-romano-000000679.html

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
Eisen's monologue made me cry and I am not ashamed to admit it.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

SI has a piece on the making of the obit.

I can't imagine that responsibility. Its one half respect and love, and the other half bawling your eyes out after its done.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

13 year old girls posted:

Yeah, this. That was really tough to watch. This, on the other hand, is the most :unsmith: thing ever.

http://screengrabber.deadspin.com/rich-eisen-fills-whole-highlight-package-with-stuart-sc-1677442800/+bubbaprog

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

What a stab in the heart. :smith:

Archo
Nov 5, 2002
Anime King

13 year old girls posted:

Me either. Grew up watching Sports Center before school with my dad, some of my best memories. Rest in peace Stu.

Dr. Pancakes
Aug 12, 2011

Thank you for not eating me without syrup

Professor Funk posted:

Yeah, this. That was really tough to watch. This, on the other hand, is the most :unsmith: thing ever.

http://screengrabber.deadspin.com/rich-eisen-fills-whole-highlight-package-with-stuart-sc-1677442800/+bubbaprog

This was great except for everyone trying to talk over him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
So many in the black community talking about how he was the first to talk about sports like they did. What I think is overlooked is how he influenced young geeky white kids like me who had never heard sports talked about in such a fun and informal way.

Something I just realized today after watching tributes: I loved his voice. So familiar after all these years. I'll miss it.

• Locked thread