Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

What are some of your favorite monopoly house rules?

There's the classic "free parking gets a pile of money from people who have been fined", which will be my contribution to this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
The most common Monopoly house rule is the one where you don't auction properties off. It's also the worst one.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.
I guess this is a variant more than a house rule, but anyone who plays Monopoly should play it. It's called Monopoly World Edition. Take two Monopoly boards of different themes such as vanilla Monopoly and Zelda Monopoly. Place the boards on each other at GO. Distribute starting money from both sets. Designate one board's money (like Zelda) to be worth twice that of the other (like vanilla). Play begins on the board with the less valuable currency and when a player reaches GO s/he proceeds to travel along the other board, switching boards again at GO. The properties on the board with more valuable currency are also worth double relative to the other board (a $300 property on Zelda would cost $600 vanilla.) Play is otherwise the same as regular Monopoly.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Sometimes my brothers and friends will get together and decide to play Monopoly for whatever reason, and the go-to way is to just play the NES version. It's fast-paced, I own the NES Four Score for 4-Player Action (tm) and no board cleanup required. The House Rule is "don't actually break out a real Monopoly board because nobody wants to clean up after it"

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
we didn't auction on landing, and we never used hotels/houses/mortgaging because we never got that far, usually. Also because I was a dumb child and didn't really understand how they worked.

The one rule we generally had was play for 45 minutes, then 15 minutes of negotiation for trading properties, Chance and Community Trust cards, etc. You could only negotiate during those periods. Usually we'd peter out about the 2nd or 3rd Negotiation period.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Monopoly house rule sheet, follow steps in order.

1: Ask to play literally any other game instead, even Risk. Even Snakes & Ladders.

2: It turns out that (1) is impossible for various reasons, agree to play if the rules written on the back of the box are followed without any additions or subtractions, suggest everyone has a quick read over them since they don't even cover an a5 page worth of space.

3: Listen to explanation of how that's totally unnecessary because everyone knows how to play Monopoly the rules are really easy haha look at you being dumb.

4: Agree to play anyway <this rule needs revision>.

5: Attempt to buy unbought property at auction.

6: You are making things up, nobody has ever heard of this, what do you mean it's in the rules no it isn't I know how to play everybody knows how to play and ok it's in the rules but we're not doing it like that it's confusing and nobody's ever done it like that who's ever heard of such a thing. Agree so as not to upset everyone.

7: Note with increasing despair that the totally official and correct printed rule of fines being paid onto the board and collected on free parking is being followed to the letter.

8: Play 8 hour boardgame. You could walk away, sure, but whatever kept you here this far is still keeping you here. You probably can't even start drinking heavily.

You have now successfully played Monopoly. Probably nobody won, but hey, at least we all sat down together and did something.

(Play the Monopoly Card Game instead, it's actually pretty fun and short).

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
Switch who the banker is every time everyone's taken a turn

this is because the point of being the banker is to surreptitiously steal as much money from the bank as possible without anybody noticing and it's only fair that everybody gets an equal chance at it

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
cheatopoly: all players have it explained to them that cheating is legal as long as you aren't caught. if you are caught, the fine is $500. if you falsely accuse someone of cheating the fine is $100.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

If someone wants to play monopoly the only version they're allowed to play is Garfieldopoly. No one ever plays Garfieldopoly. The only house rule, the best house rule

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

You may need multiple monopoly sets to have enough houses and hotels for this two-player variant.

Divide the center of the board into a 19x19 grid. One player takes the houses, one player takes the hotels. Each turn, a player places one of their pieces into an unoccupied spot on the grid. Pieces already on the board can't move. A piece or solid connected group of pieces is captured and removed from the board if it is completely surrounded by the opposing player's pieces.

The game ends when both players decide they don't want to place any more pieces. Each player then receives 1 monopolybuck for each piece they have on the board and for each empty spot on the board that their pieces have surrounded. Whoever ends up with the most monopolybucks is crowned the lord of monopoly.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

If you land exactly on Go/Start, take double the money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
Proposed house rule: once all the properties are distributed, play Seven-Card Stud, wagering the deeds, until a winner is declared.

• Locked thread