Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What will the Nightly Show be like?
This poll is closed.
A news parody, like the Daily Show 15 13.27%
A pundit satire, like the Colbert Report 7 6.19%
Something else entirely 91 80.53%
Total: 113 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
A final word of advice from Dave Chappelle on this show would cement it for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

berserker posted:

I've got it, you guys. Everything's going to be ok. This time next year:

The Self-aware version of Carrot Top is actually pretty funny. Don't know if that would fit as a talk show host though.

It would be interesting to see if Comedy Central would look towards some lesser knowns or even the podcast community for people to fill in. Really, the writers are the ones going to create the most content, its just up to the host to sell it properly. The biggest skill a new host needs, and what Colbert and Stewart excelled at, is the ability to interview people. It would at least be interesting to see someone like Marc Maron, who is a really good interviewer, get a shot.

Aasif would be a good option too. Of course, the only one we have actually seen in the chair is John Oliver, and there is obviously a difference between the corespondent role and the main host. Jon more often than not is playing the straight man, which requires a lot of skill to bounce between the two.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

berserker posted:

I wonder why they only went with 3 people at the table this time along with Larry. Someone backed out at the last minute maybe?

Batali needed a side of the table for himself.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

IRQ posted:

Watching the Nightly Show, I'm not sure why, Larry, between you and all of your writers nobody bothered to learn the name of the tv character you're comparing Hillary to? I know this is incredibly nit picky but he's basically saying Secretary of State has announced she is running for President, oh that silly woman named Secretary of State! Khaleesi is a title you unfunny bastard.

:goonsay: but come on it's in the public conscious now.

True, you don't want people confusing her with the other Khaleesi on the show.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Krinkle posted:

I can't remember how to have the quote be some words and link to an url.

code:
[url=www.website.com]words with the link to an url[/url]

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Yeah, after tonight I think I am officially done with The Nightly Show.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Neeksy posted:

What happened this time? I missed everything tonight.

Just the general attack on the ESPN employee for railing against a tow truck employee. 1. Its not actual news, the entire story was an employee of ESPN being a dick to a tow truck employee. 2. I am a huge sports fan and I have barely heard of said employee, so its not like a loving A or B or even C lister doing it. 3. The footage is heavily edited and only shows her reactions, not what the employee says or does, even in the raw footage that was shopped by the tow truck employee for a week before this came out. 4. gently caress all tow truck employees categorically. They deserve that poo poo.

edit: I feel like my points would be the ones pointed out by the Daily Show and Wilmore is just going for cheap laughs and poo poo. I gave him the benefit of the doubt on the death penalty thing, because I feel like you can bring an alternative view to the popular one and still have a an intelligent argument. This was the last time I watch TNS go after someone for the sole cause of public opinion. Its antithetical to what the daily show ever did. All they are doing is Hulk Hoganing, holding their hand to their ear and listening to the audience cheer them on with out any nuance or delineation of the facts.

swickles fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Apr 21, 2015

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Majorian posted:

Boy, that interview of Judith Miller was brutal, but awesome, justified, and fully needed, even more than a decade after that horrible clusterfuck of a war started. I hope the right-wing media shits its pants tomorrow.

Why would they, there is no reason to cover it.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I was definitely in elementary school the first time I was left home alone, and expected to come home to an empty house. If I didn't ride my bike home, I would walk more than three bocks (probably like a half mile or 3/4 mile) to my parents restaurant after school. I was probably 9 at the time, give or take a year. I wouldn't trust a 6 year old to do that. Maybe after a couple trial runs at age 7 or 8 I would feel comfortable. But yeah, there is a difference between "free range" and letting your kid figure it out with no guidance and what I did. I still think some parents think their kids have to be 15 before they are left unsupervised for any period of time which is pretty crazy.

swickles fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jun 4, 2015

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea obviously giving your kids freedom is objectively a good thing for their development, the main issue is her focusing on 'well odds are they won't be literally raped sooooo ya know....' and doing absurd poo poo like blaming 'indoor culture' for depression and poo poo. My main issue was that they got the most easily flustered shrink ever apparently, and boiled her point of 'nah I don't agree' down to 'OH SO I BET YOU WANT TO LOCK THEM ALL UP YOU IDIOT'.

True, but on the other hand if your job is to convey people on the proper techniques to raising children (or anything really) and you are really bad at relaying your information, then you probably shouldn't have that job.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

EccoRaven posted:

Someone do some math and figure out when 9/10 happens, I would love to watch it and then watch the subsequent ones.

Numerous people already have.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Didn't the rights change around when the region restricted access went up? I remember Comedy Central used to show SNL reruns and then in like 2000 or 2001 they stopped because Viacom bought CC and they could only show Mad TV. Considering how convoluted licensing rights are, I imagine it wasn't so much an error of "whoops, forgot we weren't supposed to show this abroad!" and more like the consequnce of the rights shifting from one entity to another.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

kayakyakr posted:

Fairly low-key set of guests for a final 12.

Well, aside from the sitting president of the US.

Paul Rudd is always funny on the Daily Show, plus Ant-Man is opening. Coates will be a really good get, probably the best writer/journalist right now. Can't think of the last time a journalist was as popular as he is. Gylenhall is kind of meh though, what new movie does he have coming out?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Hakkesshu posted:

Some boxing movie, I don't think it looks very good though he bulked up a lot. Jake Gyllenhaal has kind of had a career renaissance playing just extremely creepy, destructive characters in Enemy, Nightcrawler, and Prisoners. He's awesome.

Oh yeah thats right. They have been hyping the poo poo out of that movie, like every movie I have gone to lately has a mini-featurette on that film before the previews and such with "an exclusive first look".

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

raditts posted:

Looks like Larry is finally covering Sandra Bland, so this should be a good one at least. That whole situation is like 100 different kinds of hosed up.

I haven't seen tonight's episode, but based on the slow burn of facts leaking I almost think its a conscience decision to wait a few days to get the most bang for their buck rather than revisiting every night.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Tomero_the_Great posted:

I think I like Lavell Crawford the most on The Nightly Show. He's like a big cuddly black John Candy.

"This shirt is bringing people together!"

Every time I see him, all I can think is "whatever happened to Huell?"

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Krinkle posted:

Have you ever seen him defend the concept of rape games and call amazon out for taking them off their store front?

I must have missed that episode of The Daily Show :stare:.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I like Wilmore because it fills in the gap nicely between TDS and @midnight (which has been kind of down lately, but thats mostly due to the guests they have and not any writing/hosting abilities). Its going to be interesting to see the numbers once we get a Stewart-less TDS and Wilmore back to back.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Deki posted:

I've had satellite hooked up for all of a week now and the Nightly show seems pretty decent. Why the hate?

It took him some time to find his voice, as all new hosts do. Also, apparently if you don't agree 100% with every opinion a guy has, then he is terrible.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Echo Chamber posted:

Obviously, there's bigger things to mock than Hollywood, but the half hour Nightly spent mocking Ben was nice piece of fresh air compared to "people shouldn't say bad things about celebrities" vibe I get from Jon Stewart or Jimmy Kimmel sometimes.

You also have to respect that once things get to a certain size, like The Daily Show, that there is a significant business aspect to it. If you want to get top tier celebrities you can't go full on bashing mode unless the story gets to Cosby like levels. Its definitely a lovely aspect of the business, but I feel like as long as you aren't doing that with real news then its ok. Whitewashing a celebrity gossip bit really is nothing in the scheme of things.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Chromatic posted:

I agree but I think Stewart got to a point around 2008ish where he was big enough and had enough clout to go after celebrities without much fallback. Sure, Affleck would probably throw a bitchfit and not come on the show anymore but who cares?

Because its kind of a non-story. He doesn't cover celebrity gossip unless its particularly funny or crazy.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Holy poo poo, that Arby's ad.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Oh cool they are doing a "best of" marathon leading up to tonights shows. Just saw the Jim Cramer one and now he is doing the weird Glenn Beck chalk board bat poo poo crazy episode and its beautiful. Between this and PFTCommenter at the republican debates, I have done nothing but laugh my rear end off for the past hour.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

If there isn't an Even Stephen I will cry.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I forgot Josh Gad was on TDS! Stewart really has launched countless careers.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

drat, that was like a full half hour. I guess only one commercial break tonight?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Highlights of the finale were Colbert's thank you, Oliver's "what the gently caress is a commercial?", and the enemies farewell.

I would be interested to see a comparison between The Daily Show and SNL in terms of launching talent. Obviously SNL has launched more, but it would be neat to see a per capita type analysis between 1999 and now in terms of who has launched more careers.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Maybe once Colbert starts dating Aaron Rodgers (totally possible) he will be as popular as she is.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Did they only allow John Oliver a choice between 4 ties or something?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Craptacular! posted:

I didn't watch the last episode. Nor the last week of episodes. Aside from wondering how much Trump is in them, I can't really be bothered.

I dunno. The show was quite important in the 2000s when you had an administration that denied access to any media that challenged it's narrative, as opposed to today where you have a media that goes in the other direction and overplays administration 'scandals'. To me the Rally For Sanity/Fear felt like, if not the actual end of the show, it's farewell to national relevance.

Getting the summer of John Oliver was simply a bonus.

Good contribution.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Irish Joe posted:

It seems weird that Berkeley asks for your parents' income statements on admission applications. When I applied to college, they just wanted to know my GPA and SAT scores, and I remember being at a distinct disadvantage having gone to a private school with high standards because my GPA was like a full point lower than it would have been if I went to a public school.

I went to an a really competitive high school, they would give out a class ranking as well as a county ranking of where you compared to all the kids in the school district. I think my year the top 20 in the class were in the top 25 for the county.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Man that interview with Judith Miller never gets easier to watch. Just straight up lies and lies as John gets more and more tired.

And now we know why he retired. Who would want to deal with that instead of breaking chairs over people in wrasslin?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I feel like the Daily Show is trying to make this big push to be more international in its coverage.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

BigRed0427 posted:

Is Jessica WIlliams still going to be on the show?

Literally the second line says she is.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Just looking at my guide, Comedy Central, Nickelodeon, VH1, MTV, BET, CMT, and Spike. And probably two channels I don't get.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

The first time I saw a selfie stick was at an amusement park and at the time I thought it was pretty clever, that way you don't have to ask random strangers to take pictures of you and your friends/family at every photo op. I honestly haven't seen them outside of a place where people are expecting to take lots of photos (tourist spots) so I am ok with it. In fact, as someone who lives in a touristy area I can't remember the last time I was stopped and asked to take a picture of a group and I used to get asked all the time. So yeah, I am now firmly pro-selfie stick.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I could have swore they corrected that after NdT pointed it out during an episode, like a week later and he even said the next time he came on that he was proud they corrected it. Am I imagining this?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Veryslightlymad posted:

Early interviews are gonna be weak because the guest will be interviewing him as much as vice versa. Honestly, for a first show that was really, really good. He needs to cut down or cut out the physical comedy bits, though. I don't think he's that kind of a comedian.

That was actually the feeling I got from the interview, they put on a guy who was a veteran and pro at the late night circuit, so even if Noah had problems, Hart would easily pick up any slack because of his experience. Tomorrow they have a CEO of a tinder knockoff, someone who doesn't have the experience of an established Hollywood celebrity, so this will be interesting to see. They really remove the safety net fast, you think they would do kind of what they did with Colbert, just a bunch of famous people who are super experienced at this type of thing

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Ah ha! I knew I wasn't crazy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Carson spoke at my graduation and its so strange to see him now. Aside from crazy view points, the way he speaks is drastically different. He was very passionate and engaging, telling stories about the first time attempting various surgeries (not his first time, the first time anyone had attempted!) and about his life and career. He only briefly mentioned his faith, and more as a secondary thing, not a preachy thing (I think it was something about how he got over some difficulty, that he reflected and prayed). So to see him now, speaking in such a mundane, almost bored fashion and looking drugged half the time espousing crazy non-sense that you would think a renowned surgeon would find ridiculous, its like a completely different person.

• Locked thread