Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What will the Nightly Show be like?
This poll is closed.
A news parody, like the Daily Show 15 13.27%
A pundit satire, like the Colbert Report 7 6.19%
Something else entirely 91 80.53%
Total: 113 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Echo Chamber posted:

I'm already sick of the 2016 election.

I don't think we're going to see something as magical as 2012's Republican Idol competition again in our lifetimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Echo Chamber posted:

The correspondents for The Nightly Show, Shenaz Treasury, Ricky Velez, and Mike Yard.

I can imagine this show being a bit more like Totally Biased than TDS or the Report.

I'd be totally okay with that. I'm confident that Larry Wilmore can be a lot funnier and entertaining than Kamau Bell. I'd much rather it be its own thing than a pale imitation of TDS or Colbert, just as I'm sure that nobody wanted Colbert to be another half hour of TDS.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Totally Biased was worth it if only for his supernova burn on Ben Carson.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3f1PdfZzNU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

So was there a reason Obama and friends didn't show up for the French march thing, or is this something I'm just gonna have to deal with reading posts about on Facebook for the next couple of weeks?

Ah, time for noted shitbag Rupert Murdoch's stance on the issue.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Is it just me or is everyone seeing a huge delay between the audio and video?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Was "Blowtorch tattoo removal" really a thing that happened? I'm pretty sure everything else on that checklist was.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Rubio is reaching way too hard for laughs here.

katium posted:

Ugh, double interview segment with a lovely Republican Senator. I'm done for the night.

As much as I miss Colbert and am waiting to see what Wilmore comes up with, I'm glad I can turn off the TV early and not miss anything.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

This second segment is :stare: as all hell. What the gently caress Alabama.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Narcissus1916 posted:

I can understand the pro-life position.

I just cannot understand why the gently caress those same people want to limit access to contraception. That's where the argument goes from "you're taking a life!" to "Keep your legs shut, slut."

The problem with the pro-life position is that it ranges from "none of your goddamn business" and "total hypocrisy because they typically don't give a poo poo about the Innocent Life once it's out of the womb," as the guy in that interview so clearly demonstrated.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The human race deserves to be wiped out because stupid poo poo like "two pageant contestants from the wrong countries are smiling in a picture together" is a loving issue.

e: and then there is Trump.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

TLG James posted:

Jesus gently caress he got so fat.

He was only not a fat piece of poo poo for a little while, and returned to being a fat piece of poo poo after everyone stopped taking him seriously as a presidential candidate.

It sure is fun watching his fat rear end die on camera here though.

e: "I read it. It ain't Shakespeare." :drat:

raditts fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jan 20, 2015

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Von Sloneker posted:

I wonder how that dumbass hypothetical with the "two good ol' boys in a pickup truck" would've been responded to by the host of the next show.

Haha, as if any Republicans will be brave enough to go on that show.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Rhonne posted:

Holy poo poo, that moment of zen. :psyduck:

:stare:

... :stare:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Is he going to have a panel section on this show? His table looks like it's set up for it.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

berserker posted:

God I loving hate Huckabee. "The bubble people, those who live in the bubble lands of NY, Washington, and Hollywood"

You LIVE in NYC, Huckabee. You want to work in Washington. Get the gently caress out.

It's the classic Republican tactic of pretending they are all "Washington outsiders" who are all salt-of-the-earth even though most of them are millionaires that have been in office for half a century, and assuming their voting base is retarded enough to buy it.

JazzFlight posted:

Ughhhh, didn't realize this show would be "group chatting at a table."
Not really a fan of this format.

I'd prefer this to an interview segment, but two segments of this? Ehhhh...

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

amaranthine posted:

I kind of hope so - that last segment was actually kind of funny, and I'd like to see more like that. The middle part was horrible.

I thought the middle part was okay, but the last part fell flat for me.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Steve Vader posted:

This isn't a parody show. It's just Politically Incorrect. Which is fine, but every discussion feels truncated and will always seem poorly edited.

Wilmore doesn't have the advantage of having a pre-crafted "character" like Colbert did, so I think he might need some time for the show to find a groove. Hopefully the show manages to hang in there until that happens, but it's not as though they have anything better to replace it either way.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Echo Chamber posted:

So how long until the Larry Wilmore backlash begins?

Look in the right places and I wouldn't be surprised if it started before the show aired.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

:laffo: at that Moment of Zen.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

^^^^
Are you in the right thread? :confused:

Acquilae posted:

Ugh haven't had time to catch up on TDS but definitely going to watch tonight for the post :swoon:SOTU:swoon: reaction.

Anything they have to say can't match the amusement of rightwingers being all :qq: over that Obamaburn.
Don't sleep on Barry O.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Was this really the SOTU response? The Onion couldn't have done a better parody.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Maxwell Lord posted:

The GOP have been really consistently bad at the responses. They keep trying to find their next big name and the pressure kills them.

So, Romney will be the 2016 nominee again then?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

A black person writing for The Blaze... so we're just gonna glaze right over that one, huh.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Hammy posted:

She said she wouldn't stand up if she was a GOP congresswoman, not that she doesn't believe in equal pay. I took it as an acknowledgement that the game trumps ideology: it doesnt matter what she may or may not believe, if everyone on her side is sitting down she's not gonna be the one person standing up and cheering, because that would be politically moronic. edit: this is probably just me projecting what my response would be onto her though

You would think that if she believed that would get her Cristed, she might have the self-awareness to realize that maybe she is on the wrong side?

...No, of course not, she writes for the loving Blaze.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Oh hey, someone on TV is finally paying attention to Boko Haram in Nigeria. It's kind of shameful that it has to be the Daily Show.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Astro Nut posted:

It got some coverage by the BBC a week or so back, but this was after an Arch-Bishop called out the sheer lack of coverage when there was the possibility (and there still is, though the reported numbers vary wildly) of two thousand dead. Pretty much everywhere outside of Africa has kinda dropped the ball with regards to the massacre.

but... but je suis charlie :shepface:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Take all the confiscated Syrian chemical weapons and dispose of them by spraying the vast areas of jungle where Boko Haram are suspected of hiding out.

Sounds like two problems solved to me.

That does sound like a very Brock Samson thing to say.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Figures that fat gently caress Huckabee would make a 5 minute food allegory.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Palin has aged a lot in 8 years. And now she sounds like that SNL "Girl you don't want to meet at a party" character more than ever.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

I really hate Ted Cruz's face. It looks like he's wearing a rubber mask.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Generic American posted:

Man, I'm curious to see what take the Nightly Show will have on American Sniper tonight. I'm not sure if it has the balls to forgo immediately cloaking all discussion in blind hero-worship. :ohdear:

Looks like it doesn't.

Why do they have to pick a psychopathic pathological liar who had no shame in expressing how much he wanted to kill browns to be the American Hero poster boy? That seems like it should be the main sticking point and yet everyone seems to tiptoe around it because HE DEFENDED YOUR FREEDOM LEAVE MERICA IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Toona the Cat posted:

I don't know who this movie critic guy is but he looks like he's about to poo poo himself in fear that Paul Ryckoff is going to choke him to death.

Matt Taibbi, he writes for Rolling Stone. He wrote an article that was critical of the movie, so he's already been one more body on the sacrificial altar.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Winkie01 posted:

Holy poo poo that question to Taibbi. God drat :iceburn:

Guess he put all the effort into that one question.

raditts fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jan 27, 2015

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Generic American posted:

So, realtalk here; what the gently caress was the point of that entire discussion? That was irritatingly vapid. If they didn't want to say anything on the issue beyond "well, this is a thing!", they should have chosen another topic.

I'm trying to figure that out myself, that entire episode felt like a waste of everyone's time.
I'm not sure what I was expecting, but I think I was expecting him to at least not be terrified of saying something the vets on the panel might not agree with.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

There was a great discussion to be had there over the American definition of "heroism" and its unimpeachability when it comes to the military, especially in light of the cult of personality around this guy. Ironically, instead of going there and maybe talking about something interesting, they bought right into it and the whole thing was little more than "uh hey, heroes all around am I right guys!"

bobjr posted:

I'm still not sure if Sarah Palin believes what she says or if she just found a group that will worship her like a god and is sticking with it.

No reason it can't be both.

raditts fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jan 28, 2015

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Why is Larry doing an air guitar in a public bathroom in his intro? Like, were they going for something in particular there? Wanna know what was said in that particular planning meeting.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

EndOfTheWorld posted:

CDC Suppressed a Whistleblower claiming elevated rates of autism in african-american kids who got a vaccine?

Survey SAYS!

http://www.snopes.com/medical/disease/cdcwhistleblower.asp

Honestly, do you even need to find a source to know that was total bullshit? "SHOCKING SECRET: Vaccines really do cause autism --- BUT ONLY IN BLACK CHILDREN" doesn't even stand up to a couple seconds of non-insane thought.

If the last two panels are the kind of no-balls non-discussion we can expect from this show, it's really not going to last long without some serious retooling.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

They're, uh... really digging deep for this second segment, aren't they? Jessica's doing the best with what she's got to work with, at least.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Shockingly, people may actually be interested in conversing with one another if they're meeting for the first time and the conversation hasn't yet shifted toward personal ideology. Let's stretch this concept out to a 10-minute segment and make funny faces in the background.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

I love when the right invents folksy down-home southern bullshit and repeats it until people accept it as reality.

• Locked thread