Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What will the Nightly Show be like?
This poll is closed.
A news parody, like the Daily Show 15 13.27%
A pundit satire, like the Colbert Report 7 6.19%
Something else entirely 91 80.53%
Total: 113 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock
God I loving hate Huckabee. "The bubble people, those who live in the bubble lands of NY, Washington, and Hollywood"

You LIVE in NYC, Huckabee. You want to work in Washington. Get the gently caress out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

Winkie01 posted:

Maybe the format is a 1 time thing? I got a hard time believing they can get this many people to show up 4 times a week

Why? There are like 20 different panel-format news shows on the various news channels every day. Why can't it work? I remember when Colbert Report started and people were saying "there's no way he's going to be able to keep up the faux-Bill O'Reilly schtick for long!"

Personally I think this first episode was pretty good/funny, and what will hold it up will be the quality of the writing, not the chosen format to parody.

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

Afro posted:

I liked it. I don't mind the panel format, though maybe not for 2/3 of the show

You mean 3/5ths

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock
Not sure how I feel about the audience chanting "Larry! Larry!", I would have expected producers to tell the audience not to do something like that to try and stave off at least some of the Colbert Report comparisons. (not that the shows are much alike)

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

Majorian posted:

Just watching the Anne Hathaway interview. I really like her and have never entirely understood the backlash against her, but holy poo poo, that was a hilarious interview.

Her covering her face because she felt bad for laughing so hard at saying her character's brother was in a coma was the cutest thing of 2015 so far, above babies getting into fights.

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

Echo Chamber posted:

Between John Oliver having what's pretty much now HBO's flagship comedy and current events show; and Larry Wilmore finding his groove with a monologue and panel; TDS alumni have given people even less excuses to keep watching Bill Maher.

Bill Maher sucks. Honestly. I used to enjoy him but the show becomes more and more about him and less about real discussion every year. While watching the State of the Union address the other night, I remember thinking to myself "if the audience cheers any more frequently I'm going to start confusing this with Real Time."

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

Echo Chamber posted:

He's an anti-vaxxer who made Bill Frist the voice of reason.

Well, gently caress Bill Maher forever.

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock
Holy poo poo. He's been literally a rock of my evenings for so long, nearly half of my life. Let's all just remember that The Daily Show had a different host once and it can and probably will happen again.

Personally, my hope is pinned on Jason Jones as the new host. I can't see Comedy Central letting the show end.

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock
If nothing else at least it's likely that John remains as the host through September ("later this year") and so at least TV won't totally be without both of them since that's when Colbert starts his stint on the Late Show.

Jason Jones 2016

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock
I'm personally not on Team Bassem, I wasn't really feeling him much last night. Too much hamming it up in my mind. But I haven't really watched him helming his own show.

edit: woah I didn't expect a fuckin Jimmy Swaggart commercial... thanks DirecTV...

edit2: "I'm up in September, could be then, could be December, could be July..." uh oh, don't even mess with me like that!

And maybe the greatest moment of zen ever?

berserker fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Feb 11, 2015

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock
I've got it, you guys. Everything's going to be ok. This time next year:

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock
Anthony Anderson: "What I don't like is injecting myself with the virus... to protect myself from the virus."

Well that's because you just don't loving understand the DECADES of science behind innoculation and vaccination. GOD DAMNIT why didn't anyone point that out? Is it that hard? It would have taken 30 seconds? They just let his "concern" stand.

I actually enjoy the humor of Nightly Show but this poo poo is really getting infuriating. Don't try and be an "informative" comedy show if you're going to constantly fail on the "informative" part.

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock
I agree that a magazine doesn't have to be some bastion of societal mores, but when they put themselves forward as apparently being "better" because hey, here's our "plus size model" and then they put a tiny size 4 lady on the cover, they're opening themselves up for valid criticism.

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

Judge Clayjar posted:

lets be honest: matt besser should be the new host of the daily show.

oh my god

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

Toona the Cat posted:

Someone in tonight's audience has a laugh reminiscent of dragging a razor blade over a pane of glass.

Man, it was REALLY distracting.

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock
aaaaaaaaaahahahahahah that fuckin deer

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock
RIP Jason Jones :(

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

raditts posted:

I think it's still on Netflix, it's really good. But it will make you completely hate Sea World forever.

As we all should. gently caress Sea World.

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

Majorian posted:

Did anybody else see the catastrophically bad and unconvincing SeaWorld commercial, trying to rebut the allegations that they treat their animals terribly?

As soon as they said "Government studies show that our whales live just as long as in the wild" I burst out "BULL loving poo poo!!!!!!!" so I don't think the commercial had the intended effect.

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock
Gotta give Nightly Show some credit here, it's really great that they cut to the core of the issue, it really is that people find dudes putting their dicks in other dudes butts icky. Don't cut these assholes any slack (uhhhh pun uhhhh not intended uhhhh)

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock
I wonder why they only went with 3 people at the table this time along with Larry. Someone backed out at the last minute maybe?

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

Maxwell Lord posted:

It feels like there's no token conservative which is helping.

Yeah I really hope that this is due to some conservative shill backing out due to realizing they'd look like a total rear end in a top hat for the entire conversation - if that's the case then the producers should be able to sense the positive reaction to how the episode plays out because of it.

Also this whole pizza thing was pretty hilarious.

Maybe it really is that defending lovely positions sucks the funny out of everything?

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock
I wonder what that obvious edit during the Peter Dinklage interview was all about.

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock
Jessica Williams is hands down the best correspondent on the show currently. She is awesome. Also, boy Elizabeth Olsen has a great personality! I'm in love :allears:

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock
Does Larry really have no idea about the difference between sex and gender?

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock
Huh well this kind of makes up for the first segment.

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock
One of the more antagonistic interviews I've seen in a while on TDS. Thanks Jon, gonna miss this stuff.

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

raditts posted:

God drat I'm crying from these diarrhea jokes. I'm literally 12 years old.

I haven't laughed that hard to a Daily Show segment in a while. Poo jokes really are the best.

Edit: those quick cuts always leave me wondering what was just edited...

berserker fucked around with this message at 04:29 on May 1, 2015

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock
This is really really good.

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock
It's because he's said he will not be a spoiler and cause a Republican to win a la Nader. Either he gets the nom or he helps to bring more progressive subjects to the debate and either is good.

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock
Ahahahahah LOTR of course

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock
gently caress I'm going to miss these two shows, and yes I miss the Colbert Report again BIG TIME

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock
This is amazing. edit: there it is, tears a flowin

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock
That was like the last day of camp with everyone saying goodbye to the Camp Director and telling him how awesome summer was while they all cry

:unsmith:

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock
Yeah this is the one that isn't gonna make him out to be some awesome dude

Edit: ah man it's really ending

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock
Incredible cap to an incredible final episode. Trevor, the ball is in your court. I don't envy what you have to follow.

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock
Damnit when I saw Jon in the crowd with his kid the tears came

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

Dangerous Person posted:

I'll miss Jon Stewart but I did not need a Bruce Springsteen performance.

What the... uhm... what the gently caress

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock
What the...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock
It's not bad so far, but it's going to take a while I think for Noah to really get into his groove. Right now it feels too much like he's acting the "role" of TV host, rather than it feeling really natural. There was one point last night when I saw what felt like real Trevor coming through during his interview with the Bumble lady, but it was fleeting. With Jon, it always felt like he what we were getting was genuine Jon Stewart. Well, he was shaky as well during his first year or so, so I'm willing to give it time.

• Locked thread