Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What will the Nightly Show be like?
This poll is closed.
A news parody, like the Daily Show 15 13.27%
A pundit satire, like the Colbert Report 7 6.19%
Something else entirely 91 80.53%
Total: 113 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

IRQ posted:

I'm at a total loss as to how Penn Jillette is relevant to a "designer babies" discussion other than he should never be allowed to name a baby. But then again a "designer babies" discussion is completely on rails anyway so whatever. Cue the Gattica references and the vague disease gene points.

Looks like he's the comedy 4th. Also, did Penn lose a bunch of weight? He's looking pretty rough in that instagram photo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Trevor Noah has, or at least had a couple weeks ago, a documentary up on Netflix about him putting together South Africa's first Comedy One Man Show. It was pretty good and goes into his first appearances on the Daily Show. The only issue with him taking over the Daily Show is he'd have to move to the US full time, which he seemed somewhat reluctant to do.

A more outside perspective Daily Show could be pretty interesting.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
You Laugh But It's True

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

UnoriginalMind posted:

I can't stand Trevor Noah's standup, personally. It feels cheap. Yes, Trevor, you're from another country, I get it. You need more than that base conceit to be a great comedian.

Apparently he's hosted shows before though. He's got experience, so maybe they can make it work after a year or two. Still, pretty unhappy with this choice. They should have just hired from outside.

From what I saw of his South Africa stand up his style frequently takes the view of the outsider of where ever he is. In America he does a lot of I'm from Africa stuff, though that could just be his one special which is the only one I've seen. In South Africa he jumps around from group to group, using his mixed heritage to play the outsider. Of course he also does some political stuff, and I did like his drunk Mandela bit until it went too long.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Josh Lyman posted:

As the risk of sounding xenophobic, I really think they should have gotten an American to fill the spot. Jon Oliver's been in the US long enough to be a citizen, and his pieces on LWT approach issues from a more analytical, removed standpoint anyway. TDS is grounded more in pop culture, and Trevor Noah, regardless of how good a host/writer he may be, will come across like Piers Morgan 2.0.

That's a real dick thing to say. Nobody deserves to be compared to Piers Morgan, he was a dumb poo poo in his home country long before he was a dumb poo poo in America.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

I love that saying there are people who say Beyonce can't sing, so he's not going to be worried about people complaining about him is somehow a self-aggrandizing non sequitur. Especially in an article complaining about him.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Cabbit posted:

There are better hills to die on in defense of free speech than this.

In fairness, the hills on which the battles of free speech are fought are rarely things of beauty. No one comes for non-offensive, perfectly reasonable conversation first, so the fights are always at places like Piss Jesus hillock and Larry Flint molehill.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I'm most concerned that he feels atheists aren't doing enough to show they don't believe in Satan. We aren't living in a Zoroastrian country where the existence of Angra Mainyu isn't intrinsically linked to the existence of Ahura Mazda. If there's no god, then it pretty clearly follows there's no Satan. It's really a very weak argument from both a theological as well as a simple logic standpoint.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Narcissus1916 posted:

I could care less about impressions. I really dug the part of the standup where he talked about having to "Trade up" to being black.

Admittedly, the whole riff on the metric system was some low hanging fruit. Nowhere near as good as John Oliver's riff on america goofiness, which including a bit about an inflatable barbecue that is still one of the finest bits I've witnessed.

From what I've seen, one of Trevor's better bits was about Malibu. It involved a dumb American surfer girl, aids, chocolate, and it was all a set up for a joke about Jacob Zuma being Jacob Zuma.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NuKhW3sJsA

Jacob Zuma was in a sex scandal with a girl who was HIV positive. When it came to light that he didn't use a condom, he was asked what he did to prevent contracting HIV. His response was that he took a shower.

Also I learned that Zambia didn't have any escalators until 2013, which was pretty amazing.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Echo Chamber posted:

Sometimes I think a parliamentary system is simpler than what we have here in the states but other times I'm confused and find it more convoluted than the Electoral loving College.

The secret ingredient is what type of voting you use, not what type of democratic structure your government uses. Proportional, multi-member districts, and cumulative voting all return more representative results than first past the post.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

sean10mm posted:

What's an example of Trevor Noah being funny outside his few bits on TDS? I saw African American on Netflix, and maybe I wasn't in a good mood or something but it struck me as being pretty :effort:

He's got a 5 other specials out and there's a documentary of him putting together his Daywalker show. I don't know how hard it is to find his other stand up, but the Daywalker documentary was on Netflix a while ago. Youtube has a bunch of clips from his other shows up too and I think the South African Roast he hosted.

I don't really find him hilarious, maybe a little funnier than Stewart's stand up. His material does have a theme to it that looks like it would make for good Daily Show style hosting though.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Steve Vader posted:

Just a note on the Mount McKinley thing.

I have a friend who is a history buff, and he'd say that George W. Bush's main competition as the worst president of all time was McKinley, because he was openly for sale, and if McKinley hadn't been assassinated, he might beat out GWB.

Your friend needs to turn in his history buff card and read up on James "Piece Of poo poo" Buchanan.

Idly let the Civil War proceed at pace while rhetorically wondering in public what it was that the Commander in Chief of the loving military forces of the United States could do about it.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jul 9, 2015

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Nobody out imperialisms TR, but he also had real domestic achievements which really help raise his rating. Johnson could barely do anything though, everyone in Washington hated him. Hayes is a supreme poo poo who sold out reconstruction for the White House.

Really you have to compartmentalize most of your morality when judging past presidents and ranking them. Aside from being a position that is a magnate for assholes, you do have to take into account historic context for their actions and beliefs. Also being a good President is a weird mix of being a giant dick, getting poo poo done, and doing good things. For instance Lincoln is always near or at the top, and he's one of 2 Presidents to tell the Supreme Court to suck it when the court ruled against their actions. Jackson, the other SCOTUS bird flipper, is also consistently ranked fairly high. Jackson is of course also perhaps our only super-villain President.

Bad Presidents gently caress up the nation, flounder about ineffectively in their policies, and/or supremely fail to rise to the historic occasion. Surrounding themselves with phenomenally lovely people and then failing to reign in those lovely people doesn't hurt either.

Also W is totally in the running for bottom 10, depending how you rank a few of the historically worst guys. Nixon, Bush, and Carter are usually the only modern guys down near/in the poo poo heap. Carter mostly because he failed to accomplish too much in office. Out of office though the guy is an Ex-Presidential super star.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jul 9, 2015

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

kayakyakr posted:

It always amazes me how he could have been such a bad president. He's set a huge bar for other former presidents and so far, only Clinton's getting close with the foundation.

His big issue was that he came to Washington as an outsider and didn't really build his administration to interface well with insiders, which lead to him not getting his agenda pushed. Also he got hosed with Stagflation, the Oil Crisis, and the Iranian Revolution, which he was unable to overcome. If he hadn't lost to Reagan he probably would have a much better rating since it was really his and Volcker's policies that did pull the nation out of Stagflation, which Reagan got credit for.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Steve Vader posted:

To be fair, his ranking of the top ten worst presidents was often in flux. I'll have to see where the list stands now. Buchanan may have been on it, but his rep as a lovely 'do-nothing' seems like it shouldn't be on par with 'do-awful-things' presidents.

Letting the South Secede while doing nothing and then telling Lincoln, essentially, "welp, sucks to be you" before riding out of D.C. is so do nothing that it fully counts as doing awful things. Also doing absolutely nothing to prevent it prior to actually happening.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

VagueRant posted:

While we're ranking US presidents, how do you guys compare Obama and Clinton?

It's still too early for Obama, but if he can actually get a deal with Iran he's going to be in the top group. He actually got a lot accomplished before the Republicans retook Congress, including some huge things like the ACA, and has presided over the recovery from the second worst economic collapse in the history of the nation.

Clinton usually get's ranked in the good but not great group, which isn't likely to change. It'll be interesting to see if his ranking dips slightly over time since he's currently getting a comparative boost of being followed by W.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

IRQ posted:

Ah yes, the ACA, the same bullshit corporate welfare that the republicans and the for-profit healthcare industry wrote in the 90s to serve their owns ends, yeah, a real leap forward that, setting back actual universal healthcare by at least 20 years while being super profitable for the industry. That and expanding the secretive as gently caress executive and the surveillance and torture state were awesome, also selling out to east asia recently, that's sure to be a winner. Thanks Obama! But he finally says gays aren't satan and the shambling corpse of Cuba isn't a threat and ppppthhhhhbbbbttttttttttt :thumbsup:

You're right, we should have done nothing because we couldn't get universal healthcare. If you want to blame anyone blame Joe Lieberman.

Welp, gently caress Obama's accomplishments, he wasn't good enough. Because only righteous Presidents get ranked highly by history.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

kayakyakr posted:

Oh man, a Trump as independent presidential campaign would be beautiful!

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
She only did a couple segments though. Most of the corespondents take a while before they really get it. Very, very few of them come out of the gate killing it.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

MizPiz posted:

Nice to be reminded that these generation classifications really are just bullshit.

Every single one of them sets a different set of arbitrary dates for each generation. Nice of this one to go the extra mile and add 3-7 years of overlap so as to further muddle the issue though.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

bango skank posted:

lol at the idea of anyone born in the loving 70's being 'millennial.'

They're probably closer to an average millennial "culturally" than they are an average Gen Xer. There should probably be bumper sub generations for people born at the end and beginning of two adjoining generations. Assuming there's any actual worth to social generations.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

IRQ posted:

Well it isn't. Vacation time is such a loving rarity here how can you expect people not to get pissed?

The solution isn't no (m/p)aternity leave though, it's give everyone some god damned time off so it isn't so wildly unfair.

Just so our foreign friends don't get too bleak a picture of American indentured servitude, there are lots of places that do offer actual benefits. Generally you don't take home as much in salary as you would working elsewhere, but they do exist. Also you're probably working for the government or a university.

Those benefits still probably aren't up to the European norm, but they're good in the American context.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

IRQ posted:

Risk is fun as poo poo for like an hour, except Risk games last 7 hours.

You're not playing it right. You've got to play the game like Genghis Khan, not George III.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Left posted:

If you think The Nightly Show is tolerable, do not watch last night's episode. Your opinion will almost instantly change. Rudest panel I have ever drat seen, and none of it was remotely entertaining. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the guest refuses to make any future appearances.

Oh, did they spend the entire segment asking Sean Penn what it's like to beat the poo poo out of Madonna for a few hours?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Tatum Girlparts posted:

The internet literally cannot grasp why someone wouldn't care much about the possible future generations from now of allowing the wealthy to colonize mars or whatever so anyone who says 'yea cool, what about actual things here though' must be an idiot who must be mocked. Also the nice science man from my childhood said so (at least he's not nuclear fear mongering so whatever). It's the same as 'I loving Love Science' and all, they want cool things to hold up and anyone who goes 'yea whatever' must be too stupid to get it.

Why are the rich going to colonize a barren hellscape of an all but dead planet? If we colonize Mars it's going to be poor people getting paid to go mine up some poo poo and spend a couple hundred years attempting to terraform the place into something nice enough for the rich to come and gentrify.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

So just to be clear your stance is she legitimately wanted to know if someone can make a sex tape on mars, that was an unironic statement and now she's hiding it in the 'it was a joke' defense, because that's how that's normally used.

Generally you use the just a joke defense if there was actual humor involved. It works much less effectively if the complaint is that the jokes weren't funny in addition to other complaints.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Any legitimate colonization attempt will be either owned through private business by the wealthy or catering to the dudes like the Virgin guy and Musk who have tons of money and a hard on for being explorers and poo poo. Getting upset doesn't change the fact that for 99% of people 'we found water on mars' means jack other than a quick 'oh, nifty' and moving on.

Private business is the only real way it's happening. Assuming Mars has some valuable poo poo worth the cost of keeping people alive on the planet. Wealthy space nuts are going to create a luxurious space station/colony ship way before they super loving rough it on Mars. You need an already habitable planet/moon/dwarf planet if you want to have a space colony for the rich.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

VagueRant posted:

He's been great so far, but I thought the segment fell a little flat. Maybe it's because the issue is so important and I hated the way they tried to play off the Black Lives Matter sentiment as an extreme that actually compares to the All Lives Matter bullshit.

Still no Jessica Williams yet, huh? We've had everyone else so far, right?

I thought they were showing that the All Lives Matter stuff is bullshit.

I think everyone but Jessica and the other new guy from Australia or he lives in Australia or something. I think Aasif is still technically a corespondent too.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

AndyElusive posted:

Wow that Nightly interview with Bill Nye vs Ricky Velez and Michelle Buteau really upset a lot of Facebook people. I know this because an FB friend got so upset at the way Velez and Buteau were disregarding the significance of the possibility of water/life on Mars that they essentially wrote off all of Nightly Show as "lovely TV".

Attempted to explain that the two are comedians/contributors who were sitting in as foils for Bill Nye, he basically under no circumstances told me to stop defending said lovely TV show and proceeded to delete the topic from his wall in a fit of internet rage. Later, I went to the official FB page for the Nightly and it looks like it pissed off lots of nerds who don't really get the way Nightly does its round tables.

To be fair, the way the Nightly Show does it's round tables is generally idiotic and only rarely when the stars align does it turn out something approaching good. Oh, that's just they way they do things is a really bad counter argument to people complaining about something from the Nightly Show sucking.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

raditts posted:

I hope Trevor takes every possible opportunity to tear apart the retarded poo poo that Carson says.

Well, there's still the Marketplace interview where it became clear Carson has no idea what the Debt Ceiling actually is.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Echo Chamber posted:

The New York Times reported (at least a week ago) that the Jeb! campaign was seriously considering having Dubya openly campaign for him because Jeb is like 5th place.

It's pretty terrible for an establishment brand candidate. When Jeb decided to run, he was probably betting on getting his coronation at the Republican Convention after the primary voters stopped flirting with all the other front-runners of the week. (Not unlike how Romney did it four years ago.) But Trump still has his staying power and his three closest rivals all are not strongly tied to Bush/Cheney-era Republican orthodoxy.

Can you imagine what happens if W resurfaces? Trump (somehow to his credit) has already called removing Saddam Hussein from power one of the biggest mistakes the U.S. has made recently. I'd love to see what happens when Trump starts attacking Bushes more directly.

Romney still got chewed up in the primary and limped into the general. Bush was trying to avoid the entire dick punching escapade that is the GOP Primary by destroying everyone in the silent primary of fund raising and endorsements. This has not worked and now he has to contemplate doing things that feed the GOP primary demons at the cost of his general campaign soul. W remains popular with the GOP primary voter, because the GOP primary voter is now in large part a terrifying entity of hatred and rage.

Now JEB! must decide whether to use the dark powers of his who's who cabal of GOP evil that he was going to try and sneak past the voters to boost his primary numbers. Aside from his brother and Cheney, there's this:

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

raditts posted:

This is so baffling, because it makes me wonder if these people remember anything before 2009. Wasn't Bush's approval rating at like 19% at the end of his term?

They more or less make up that 19%. Remember, we're talking about the people who show up and vote in the GOP Primary, not the average GOP voter or sometimes voter.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Cole posted:

One of Barack Obama's greatest legacies will be how popular George Bush has become since BO took office.

It happens to every president after they leave office. Even Nixon.

Now if JEB! pulls out W to campaign for him, that'll probably change. Most of the increase in popularity of ex-presidents is that nobody is thinking about them anymore and people forget why they loving hated the guy.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

VagueRant posted:

Seems like the Mayor really should have offered to pay it off himself or something.

And as a podcast listener, I've always kinda wondered how Draft Kings was legal over there.

Among other loopholes, you aren't actually betting on the outcome of a game. Rather you are betting that your picks of individual players will result in a better outcome than the picks of individual players by others, which I believe makes it a game of skill instead of chance and thus not covered by the ban.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

revolther posted:

I find too much coincidence in the American denial mindset and how our history channel talks about Mysteries of the Pyramids. Gee how'd that get made?

Just slavery plus a whole bunch of violence and time. "Well I'm white and could never imagine being treated that way, so aliens."

Personally, I found it much more interesting when I learned that instead of slaves the pyramids were built by paid laborers. Most likely idle farmers and the like in the off season of Nile flooding and harvesting. Part of their pay being beer and they probably got free healthcare while doing it. Sure it was ancient healthcare, so yikes, but better than nothing probably.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Astro Nut posted:

One thing to be careful about there is that Egypt gets kinda touchy about even suggesting that slave labour was involved, so its not exactly a perspective that's free of ideological influence (then again, few things in archaeology are). Not helped that whilst we call them 'the pyramids' because, well, that's what they physically are, as a collective group they span just short of two thousand years at the most, and even narrowing to the bulk of constructions, that's still most of a millennium. So there's a lot of ways societal and political practices could have gone back and forth in that time - so even if one pyramid was built by slaves, that wouldn't mean all of them were, especially with over two dozen dynasties across Egypt's history.

As a bonus, assuming any kind of historical Joseph did actually exist, the first of the possibilities is late to the Great Pyramid's construction by about, oh, 700 years?

Also, I feel amused and horrified to realise that devices used for elections in the United States are about as protected as the save files for a first or second generation Pokemon game.

Well, you do have to keep in mind that when you live under the rule of the God King definitions of free are kind of loose. There absolutely would have been slaves working at all the pyramid sites, because slavery was fairly pervasive. However the bulk of the labor was probably all those farmers with gently caress all to do while they waited for the Nile to flood the banks and fertilize the land. Never underestimate the work power of a serf class fueled by religion and booze.

Almost everything I know about the pyramids comes from a report I had to do on beer. It's also why the Pilgrims landed at Plymouth, they were out of booze.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Nov 11, 2015

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I think of all the issues with good guys with guns, the idea that the police aren't going to shoot you when you're running around with a gun at a crime scene is the most perplexing. Well obviously the cops aren't going to shoot me when I save my office from a shooter with my trusty glock. Why would I have to worry about that? No one ever tries to shoot John McClane after he saves the day. Well, no good guys anyway.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

M_Gargantua posted:

I'm a strong supporter of the second amendment, but I hate how the "good guy with a gun" people try to defend it. Although I'm a Vet so my concepts might be a little skewed? My stance is shared by all of my gun owning friends. And that is that:

During an attack, help others escape. You are there in a defensive capacity. If you can't escape find a defensible location and hunker down until SWAT arrives and clears. Your job is to protect people, not to go rainbow six on terrorists with assault rifles.

In an active shooter situation you should run, hide, and fight back. In that order. Run if you can, hide if you can't, and if you can't do either go for the Hail Mary and attack with whatever you've got. When you consider you're dealing with a hosed up individual who may or may not be using some sort of explosives and is likely sporting heavier weaponry than you, it makes sense not to try and Modern Warfare up your office. Especially since if you're shooting, cubicles and office walls provide very little stopping power from stray bullets for your terrified coworkers desperately hiding under their desk.

I mean, I guess if you're an off duty SWAT guy who just happens to be stopping by to drop off lunch to your partner while on break from teaching an active shooter strategies class, go hog wild and see if you can't teabag the rear end in a top hat after you get him with a knife attack.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Madkal posted:

The guy giving the workshop tried to explain it to us as much as possible, probably seeing how freaked out we were about it, that what he was describing was the best way to survive the situation. He said that he knows it sounds hosed up to lock the door and and not let anyone in, but if you are looking to survive that is the best way to do it. He admitted that it was pretty much every man for himself.

It's the same idea as silencing your phone, turning out the lights, and locking the door. The whole point is to look as much as possible as if no one is in there so their rear end in a top hat desire to kill more people keeps them trucking once they meet the minimal resistance of a closed door. Letting people in makes the hiding place more noticeable as there's no way for you to know they aren't literally running from the shooter who is now watching the targets in the field of view increase, or that the sound of the door opening and closing hasn't now caught their attention.

Active shooter drills are really hosed up poo poo. The hardest for me is just leaving people as you evacuate. It's way easier for me to rationalize turtleing up in a hidey hole than not making sure everyone along my exit route is also getting the gently caress out of there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

IRQ posted:

That one confuses me, is hating jews a big thing again or are they trying to play off the muslim registry as no big deal like let's register jews too what's the problem?

You've got to have some embers glowing so your back up bonfire of hate is ready to go on the off chance the socialist demon Woman actually loses to the communist daemon Jew.

• Locked thread