Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What will the Nightly Show be like?
This poll is closed.
A news parody, like the Daily Show 15 13.27%
A pundit satire, like the Colbert Report 7 6.19%
Something else entirely 91 80.53%
Total: 113 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Keep It 100 is the sort of thing I'd expect to be quietly dropped in a few weeks like the Daily Show Seat of Heat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

raditts posted:

Figures that fat gently caress Huckabee would make a 5 minute food allegory.

I was hoping for a Joni Ernst joke.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Time Warner decided I wasn't allowed to watch Comedy Central last night, and now I'm not sure if I'm sad or happy that I missed this.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
But Kristen Schaal is a horse...

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
:stonk:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Dr Tran posted:

This smells like a Brian Williams esque haux

If the source was just tweets from his audience maybe, but not if CC issues an official statement.

I'd be happy to be wrong, though.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Majorian posted:

Oh my Lord...I saw a couple live tapings of the Late Late Show when Kilborn was still hosting. Those are a few hours I'd really like back.

I know I saw a couple episodes of his tenure on TDS, but I can't for the life of me remember what it was like.

It was mostly cracking jokes at weird-news stories and pure comedy bits. TDS didn't beome a satire/critique of the serious media until Stewart.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
No matter who it is, it won't be a drop-in replacement indistinguishable from Stewart. The show will evolve just like it did in 1999.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

raditts posted:

People don't remember that Jon sucked hard for at least the first year or two he was on too, though. I don't think he really picked up steam until Bush took office

Indecision 2000 was the watershed moment where everyone sat up and took notice.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

GreenNight posted:

Beats someone saying he has cancer.

I thought the C word was cancellation :stare:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Oh, Princeton Mom :allears:

(Seriously, if you've never heard of this woman before, google that and strap in)

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Giving antivax people rope to hang themselves might have sounded funny when they were first planning the show but now that they've caused a major health crisis it's really not and if you're going to bring up the topic and not try to counter that it's a waste.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
If Tyler takes over that's probably the end of Archer which is not acceptable.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Only as a guest role, though, right? I remember he quit Harvey Birdman when the Report started up.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Tomero_the_Great posted:

Each debater, throughout the entire episode, would have a sign clearly stating what percentage of American opinion they represent (as a constant reminder which one's the crackpot).

There are far too many ignorant or misinformed Americans for this to work.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
So the other day, a pro wrestler talked poo poo about the Daily Show and then Stewbeef talked poo poo back. I don't know where this is going but I hope it involves Mick Foley.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Pretty sure Obama's older than 14.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
ALL DEATH IS CERTAIN

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Q1 horror movies are always terrible, it's a dumping ground.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Pillowpants posted:

What is the keep it 100 stuff?

The last segment of most episodes so far, where he goes around the table asking each panelist a joke gotcha question.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Narcissus1916 posted:

I'm kinda surprised that TDS isn't doing ANY coverage of CPAC.

I'd prefer that to another round of Fox News asshatery.

There's 2 Daily Shows left this week.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Echo Chamber posted:

I never seen @Midnight, but it's been creeping up in this thread. I guess I'll give it a shot?

It's sort of like Whose Line with internet poo poo, or Tosh.0 with nerd jokes misread of bro jokes and fewer groin shots.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Most respondents would also like world peace and a pony.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
If the show lasts long enough to fix its flaws and refine the formula, the caliber of guests should go up.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Huh, I thought they'd get a comedian to record a fake C-SPAN phone call, but I guess they're OK with TDS just playing their tapes?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
No, it's Tosh.0 now.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Because an enormous number of people watch it?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
So what is the real deal with that 33733 number? I thought at first the twist would be that it makes a donation but neither of the shows that riffed on it seem to know what it's actually for.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
You can't say that and not link it.

The Problem Isn’t That Trevor Noah Is Offensive. The Problem Is That He’s a Giant Dope.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Crazy Ted posted:

Saw a Twitter picture displaying the following actual Salon headline:

DID TREVOR NOAH'S TWITTER HISTORY JUST KILL THE DAILY SHOW?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betteridge%27s_law_of_headlines

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
#CancelNoah

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Sair posted:

Well that was tedious and unfunny.

That's kinda his point.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Kabanaw posted:

No I'm not, I'm criticizing the jokes, which were bad. The context that they were in tweets from 3-4 years ago means calling Trevor antisemitic or sexist is wrong, but that doesn't mean they weren't bad jokes.

Neither Noah nor Comedy Central are defending those specific jokes.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Those jokes are at least as old as the jew and fat chick jokes, so I imagine they can be answered with the same "he's since evolved" argument as those.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
They're brothers, Larry :barf:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

DeepDickPizza posted:

These three person panels are awful. Did they run out of people that want to be on the show or something? Not only does the smaller, asymmetrical panel just feel more awkward, it actually seems to be stifling interesting discussion. Also, one of the mediocre comedians on staff has been a member of the panel pretty much every day since they've cut it down from four. What they had before seemed to be working just fine. I really don't get why they changed it.

Four people was clearly too many for the time they allot to it, no one was able to articulate a complete viewpoint at all.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The SA bubble is far, far to the left of the American mainstream.

It's still going to be annoying and exhausting, but as a symptom of the modern state of Presidential politics, not because of Hillary personally.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I miss Sam Bee saying FUTURE SHOCK!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I'm watching the segment right now and they aren't questioning the moon landing, Larry is lobbing conspiracy softballs and Tyson is smacking them down, along with some jackass interrupting them with what he thinks are jokes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I suspect that was their answer to the critics saying that they let antivax views go unchallenged. Here we are doing nothing but challenging!

• Locked thread