Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What will the Nightly Show be like?
This poll is closed.
A news parody, like the Daily Show 15 13.27%
A pundit satire, like the Colbert Report 7 6.19%
Something else entirely 91 80.53%
Total: 113 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Ughhhh, didn't realize this show would be "group chatting at a table."
Not really a fan of this format.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Steve Vader posted:

This isn't a parody show. It's just Politically Incorrect. Which is fine, but every discussion feels truncated and will always seem poorly edited.
I don't like when the guests all have to one-up each other and try to be both funny and intelligent-sounding at the same time. Shows like Tough Crowd annoyed me because sometimes the comedians would just spout off edgy comedy off the top of their head even if what they were saying was horrible garbage.

I guess I just expected the "scripted conversations with correspondents" style of The Daily Show.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

She makes total sense when you imagine any of her speeches as improvised beauty pageant contestant answers.

She came from that world and never changed. Every time she speaks, I think she's going to end with "because some people out there in our nation don't have maps."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lj3iNxZ8Dww

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Steve Vader posted:

The fact that Stewart's entire show is devoted to how much the news media lies all the time, the fact that everyone is suddenly up in arms about THIS thing has to be a bit galling. Especially since a shitload of liars are getting high and mighty about it.
Yeah, I'm not really feelin' this outrage about Brian Williams exaggerating an anecdote that happened to him years ago (and it actually did happen to the helicopter ahead of him). Everyone's treating this story as if he was bribed by some political group to cover-up an Illuminati conspiracy or some poo poo.

Meanwhile, like you said, The Daily Show has exposed hundreds of way worse lies by news organizations and no one cares.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Fuuuuuuuck. I tried Nightly Show and it just wasn't for me.
Only John Oliver could have filled that seat in my mind, and he's off doing his own thing. Why couldn't Jon have stepped down sooner...

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

berserker posted:

If nothing else at least it's likely that John remains as the host through September ("later this year") and so at least TV won't totally be without both of them since that's when Colbert starts his stint on the Late Show.

Jason Jones 2016
Oh wait, yeah, that might be the closest thing I'd prefer. Maybe Jason and Samantha together as a kind of married news team thing. Didn't they host one night when Jon was out?

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

raditts posted:

The Daily Show with Jon Daly.
The Daily Show with Andy Daly.

Or to go with your first suggestion, The Daily Show with Bill Cosby-Bukowski.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Regy Rusty posted:

I had to turn it off at this line. It's a concept so loving simple and logical that children can grasp it when taught in elementary school. It's one of the few science things that doesn't even need to be simplified to a great extent to explain to people without a science background. And yet people still pretend like it's some great mystery of how it works.

This show sucks if it's just gonna be idiots saying stupid things.
I turned it off right at the start when their producer said they had on the anti-vaxxer cuz like, ya gotta tell both sides of every story... Yeah, let's have some flat-earthers and moon-landing-hoax believers on, too.

How is this even a show? It's just "people who don't really know anything about the topic at hand talking at a table." I think everyone could get that from their office lunch room already.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

It's like, all they had to do was clone The Daily Show, have a larger focus on minority issues, and I would have watched, even if Larry can't really deliver jokes that well. Have a correspondent piece in segment 2, guest at end.

This brain-dead discussion format is way off the mark for me.
The problem is they're all stupid.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Tomero_the_Great posted:

My suggestion to fix TNS, if they really need to "show both sides", is to narrow it down to just Larry, and a debater from each side.

Start off by having Larry clearly state his opinion/side on the matter and his reasons why. Then bring the debaters in clear soundproof cages that Larry can mute at will.

Each debater, throughout the entire episode, would have a sign clearly stating what percentage of American opinion they represent (as a constant reminder which one's the crackpot). Each debater explains their case one on one with Larry, while their opposition is muted and cannot interrupt (but can visibly rage). Then, after each has a moment with Larry, they finally debate each other.

At the end, Larry carries down his judgment and has the final authoritative word on the matter. In addition, on the side would be a panel of fact checkers who fact check every statement in real time, and inform Larry when bullshit is thrown out (they can make a big comedic deal about this).

Thank you for reading my TNS fanfiction (sorry for interrupting your TDS fanfiction).
Is Larry even a great arbiter for these issues, though? I know someone said earlier in the thread that he was throwing out some regressive opinions during another episode. How informed is Larry anyway?

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

SyRauk posted:

How is wrestling still a thing?
There will always be 13-year old boys.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

COOL CORN posted:

I don't even know what TNS is trying to be anymore.
It feels like they're a half-step away from being Red Eye, that dumbass Fox News "comedic" discussion show. Seems like their panelists (and host) have about the same intelligence, too.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Steve Vader posted:

Yeah, I'm a bit curious about the whole 'Beloved Mike Tyson' thing these days. I guess, since he did go to jail for it, all is forgiven and he can have cartoons now?
This should have been his punishment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKE9W0O8bX8

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Old Boot posted:

It's not exactly tired when the reason for 'hurr goons' gets tired in the first place.

TNS was bound to go through growing pains. They have two huge acts to follow. Viewing it through that lens, the mistakes weren't nearly as bad as they were trumped up to be. That isn't saying they weren't bad, but the hyperbole got pretty intense when the show first aired.

I'm not surprised that they weren't entirely sure what direction to take. How could you know? Colbert had a character he could act as, and was incredibly talented at performing satire, and repeating that would seem like a cheat. Wilmore has always been incredibly talented when it came to commentary on TDS, and doing a satire for the first black late-night show host would seem really awkward. So, basically, it had to be NOT Colbert 2.0, and NOT TDS 2.0. It was, and is, a hairy situation in terms of defining a new show, especially since I'm sure CC was pushing as hard as it could to create a new brand once Colbert got replaced.

So, instead of the hurr goons comment, I'll say this: poo poo on it, sure, but spraying hot 'I just ate a table's worth of bad thai food' diarrhea all over it is another entirely. They hosed up, they made missteps, and I'll be the first to agree that some of the guests they had on absolutely did not deserve to be there (edit: vaccine lady), but it's still growing pains.

It was never going to be Colbert straight out of the gate, but it has a lot of aspects that have sustained pretty well so far.

I'm not 100% pleased by it in general, I do have a lot of qualms with some of the content, but it has gotten better, and I hope to see it continue get better. If it doesn't? Well, gently caress, I'm wrong, but keeping it on the air to see where that path leads always seemed pretty worthwhile.

EDIT: Also, having the wildly opposing view of the audience on, and hearing them out, seemed more like a suit's dumbshit idea than anything else, if only as an attempt to snag viewers who wouldn't necessarily watch Colbert or TDS due to what's seen as a 'liberal bias,' so I try not to blame it for that. They've been way better about not bringing in those toxic opinions since then. Maybe I've got rose-colored glasses on in that respect, but the fact that it's been more or less corrected is a good sign.
I don't think I'll ever like it even if Larry got better because I don't like panel discussion shows at all.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Sair posted:

Last Week Tonight is great though.
Last Week Tonight is like steak and The Daily Show (currently) is like a piece of lettuce.
LWT completely destroys TDS in terms of exploring a story and making me care about it. Right now Stewbeef mainly wastes his time playing news clips and then mugging for the camera or making a silly voice for 45 seconds after. It's really shallow compared to what Oliver does.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Boywhiz88 posted:

Oh I agree but he's gonna be lightyears ahead of Kimmel and Fallon's sense and style of humor.

It doesn't hurt that he can sing or dance too so he'll probably have a lot of fun in that sense too.
I wonder if he would ever do any crossover skits with Fallon with them both being in NY?
Unlike Leno, everyone seems friendly with each other and I remember them having the fun rivalry over the ice cream flavors.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

raditts posted:

Interesting that you mention LWT, considering the nationality of that host and the likelihood of him taking over TDS if he hadn't left...
Well, sure, but Oliver had been in America for years and is married to an American, so he was pretty caught up on US politics and pop culture.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Jun 10, 2015

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Tomero_the_Great posted:

With all this talk about the confederate flag over the SC capital building, and padlocks, and community votes... how is it that someone with an RV helicopter, a lighter and some ducktape hasn't taken care of this problem already?
I am surprised that there hasn't been any vandalism. Having the flag being burned every couple days would be great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Well at least Last Week Tonight will get the jump on the story on Sunday night.

• Locked thread