Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Our Drow guide sounded incredibly uninterested. I couldn't tell if she was going for an aloof/condescending Drow or if she just didn't give a poo poo and wanted to go home--because that's what it came off as.

What was the solution to the room with all of the square boards sitting on the (10? 12?) pedestals? The boards had lines on them and the clue was something about being the same from the front and back. That was the only one my group failed, which sucked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Every time I played True Dungeon It was ruined by addicts that joined our team. For how lame the puzzles are, presentation is, and combat is, I would suggest for that sum of money an Escape room can't be a worse investment. Seriously.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

Agrias120 posted:

Our Drow guide sounded incredibly uninterested. I couldn't tell if she was going for an aloof/condescending Drow or if she just didn't give a poo poo and wanted to go home--because that's what it came off as.

What was the solution to the room with all of the square boards sitting on the (10? 12?) pedestals? The boards had lines on them and the clue was something about being the same from the front and back. That was the only one my group failed, which sucked.

o stone be not so

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Radio Free Walrus posted:

Honestly, this one sucked. The laser wasn't anywhere near powerful enough, so unless your DM had a paper sheet he used to make the bream clearer or you had a geometry whiz it was night on impossible.

:cool:

:eng101: You could just follow the tiles on the floor.

Radio Free Walrus
May 16, 2015
Yeah I dunno, we did not get good NPCs for the first two days it seems. Which is honestly super disappointing, because they're part of what sells the drat event!
Also yeah, getting super crazy into it people in your group when you're not as into it or just starting out is really not very fun. It's more fun when you have buddies that you can relax and enjoy it with.
Also also, presentation is hit or miss partially due to the volunteers for setup. Some of them are good, and others end up using multiple extension cords for no good reason and flub the cavern walls.

Radio Free Walrus
May 16, 2015

Deathlove posted:

:eng101: You could just follow the tiles on the floor.

That makes far too much sense, and is thus unreasonable!

Neveth
Aug 22, 2011

Oh hello, delicious friend.

Bottom Liner posted:

Who else caught the con crud this year? It hit me last night pretty hard. I blame you lot, as I didn't hang around any other nerds.

I'm not sure if what I have can be termed con crud since I started on the sore throat Thursday night and was sick for the entire rest of the con. :( I dropped most of the panels and things I was gonna go to just to spare people proximity to sickie and make sure I felt well enough to hike around to do the things I wanted to do.

now if I could just stop coughing and get this awful mess from settling in my chest, that would be GREAT.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
That's the exact symptoms I have. You are patient zero, fucker!

Neveth
Aug 22, 2011

Oh hello, delicious friend.
:smithcloud:

I am sorry if I am! I tried to confine myself to the room, but I couldn't stand the idea of wasting the money spent on flight and the Crowne Plaza room to just not con it up. :(

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero
I think the Beholder at the end of the Behold Her Majesty wasn't designed to be beaten; if you read the epilogue text behind the turn-in/treasure desk at the end, it talked about fleeing and gating back from the Fae dimension that you travelled to from the chain room but that you'd be back to try again. I know we were grumpy with how slow our DM was going, but I think he was just trying to keep everyone alive since the monster hit like a truck and kept like half the party useless with anti-magic/silence/etc.

Radio Free Walrus
May 16, 2015
I figured we got it low enough for it to whip out prismatic spray / disintegration eyes or something before getting the gently caress out of dodge - I'm pretty sure we won't be returning to fight it. This whole thing is now chasing the Mind Flayer on his quest for the Teeth. If upon collection of all the teeth we don't fight some sort of super golden demi-lich I'm going to be solidly disappointed.

Also, PSA on people with tokens who haven't played much before - if you have anything that isn't black or green text keep or sell it. Value is roughly Black -> Green -> Red -> Purple ~Blue/Cyan -> Orange. There was at least one guy at the convention who pulled the orange Redoubt Plate, which can be bought online for roughly 1.5k.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
I had a runny nose that wouldn't stop right before the con, but I treated it as best I could and by mid-Wednesday there was no sign of it.

Probably just allergies, but maybe I was a silent carrier.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Planning Essen 2018 with my game group! Time to see our European competition.

I AM CARVALLO
Apr 19, 2007

Head Kicker GOTY
I really can't determine if I got Con Crud or not. I have all the symptoms of a cold minus body ache/fever/fatigue but my allergies usually don't settle into my chest like they have in the past 24 hours, pretty painful productive cough right now..

Maybe it's some sort of weird combo of Crud and allergies.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
I didn't get the ConCrud and came out feeling like aces, but ended up with something worse a few days later. The condition is called "benign positional vertigo," and it's some kind of weird disruption of the inner ear. The end result is an uncontrollable spinning sensation accompanied by violent nausea and vomiting. No. Fun. I'm still pretty woozy, but (thankfully) not puking my guts out anymore. I don't really drink much, so I can only imagine this is what it feels like to be falling-down drunk. I've gotta say, I'm not a fan. Nor, sir, don't like it.

Fortunately, I'm doped out of my mind (like you could tell the difference) and poo poo-posting on SA!

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

Every post is a shitpost.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Ilor posted:

I didn't get the ConCrud and came out feeling like aces, but ended up with something worse a few days later. The condition is called "benign positional vertigo," and it's some kind of weird disruption of the inner ear. The end result is an uncontrollable spinning sensation accompanied by violent nausea and vomiting. No. Fun. I'm still pretty woozy, but (thankfully) not puking my guts out anymore. I don't really drink much, so I can only imagine this is what it feels like to be falling-down drunk. I've gotta say, I'm not a fan. Nor, sir, don't like it.

I know someone who had that. They ended up having a dead vestibular nerve after an ear infection and a poorly timed flight. It was nasty and debilitating, but they eventually got over the vertigo and got most of their balance back.

Hopefully it's not that serious. At least the valium is fun.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Haystack posted:

Hopefully it's not that serious. At least the valium is fun.
If "sleeping for 12-14 hours at a whack" is defined as fun, then yeah, OK. I'm just glad this happened before I was on the 10-hour flight from JFK to Tel Aviv I had planned for later that day. If I'd had this poo poo on a plane, I'd have seriously considered begging them to just do me the solid of pushing me out somewhere over the Atlantic.

I do worry about permanent inner ear damage, though. My mom knows a woman who had a similar thing that proved to be chronic/permanent. gently caress that.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Ilor posted:

Fortunately, I'm doped out of my mind (like you could tell the difference) and poo poo-posting on SA!

drat, I had that in 2011. Was way worse than any bender I don't remember. Get we'll soon.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
poo poo Ilor, and you still beat our YJ player on Wednesday. What a mad man.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
I felt OK at the game (although it was hot as hell in selnaric's gameroom, and I wonder if heat/dehydration didn't play a factor). I was little dizzy when I got home around midnight, but wrote it off as hunger/sleep deprivation, so I had a couple granola bars, chugged some water, and went to bed. But I woke up at 3 AM and couldn't walk, and was vomiting so hard that at one point only blood was coming up - that was a new one for me. Double-plus un-cool. At first I thought for sure I was strokin' out. I've been through a lot of weird poo poo over the years - broken bones, cracked ribs, separated ribs, crushed tear duct, norovirus (made me wish I was dead), kidney stones, testicular torsion. I'm 80% certain I've had West Nile. I once thought I had a detached retina that turned out to be an ocular migraine, which is a totally fuckin' weird experience. I even got lit on fire in 8th grade science class. But this one was scary because I literally had no idea what the gently caress was wrong with me.

Also, do you have any idea how hard it is to not give a little nod or shake of your head every time someone asks you a yes/no question? The EMTs and med staff were super perfunctory and professional, but they kept asking me diagnostic questions and every time I was like, "nah, I don't do recreational drugs," or "yeah, I can still feel my feet" or whatever, that little nod or shake would immediately set me to spinning and vomiting again. Fuckers.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

sounds like low grade con crud

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

Ilor posted:

I felt OK at the game (although it was hot as hell in selnaric's gameroom, and I wonder if heat/dehydration didn't play a factor). I was little dizzy when I got home around midnight, but wrote it off as hunger/sleep deprivation, so I had a couple granola bars, chugged some water, and went to bed. But I woke up at 3 AM and couldn't walk, and was vomiting so hard that at one point only blood was coming up - that was a new one for me. Double-plus un-cool. At first I thought for sure I was strokin' out. I've been through a lot of weird poo poo over the years - broken bones, cracked ribs, separated ribs, crushed tear duct, norovirus (made me wish I was dead), kidney stones, testicular torsion. I'm 80% certain I've had West Nile. I once thought I had a detached retina that turned out to be an ocular migraine, which is a totally fuckin' weird experience. I even got lit on fire in 8th grade science class. But this one was scary because I literally had no idea what the gently caress was wrong with me.

Also, do you have any idea how hard it is to not give a little nod or shake of your head every time someone asks you a yes/no question? The EMTs and med staff were super perfunctory and professional, but they kept asking me diagnostic questions and every time I was like, "nah, I don't do recreational drugs," or "yeah, I can still feel my feet" or whatever, that little nod or shake would immediately set me to spinning and vomiting again. Fuckers.

Holy poo poo dude I'm surprised you are still alive.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

No ConCrud for me, the sewage-saturated air of Indy has strengthened my immune system

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Rad Valtar posted:

Holy poo poo dude I'm surprised you are still alive.
I come by it honestly - my dad is simultaneously the most accident-prone and luckiest motherfucker on the planet. This is a guy who once dropped a running concrete saw on his foot - it cut through his boot, through his sock, neatly abraded a callus off his foot, and yet never drew blood.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

TheHoosier posted:

No ConCrud for me, the sewage-saturated air of Indy has strengthened my immune system

This was the first thing we noticed when we parked. The entire downtown area is one big sewage vent. Do they mix their storm drains into their raw sewage or what? At night we saw poo poo steam clouds coming out of the grates like a horrible B movie, and it stank so bad.

shitgas everywhere

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS

Philthy posted:

This was the first thing we noticed when we parked. The entire downtown area is one big sewage vent. Do they mix their storm drains into their raw sewage or what? At night we saw poo poo steam clouds coming out of the grates like a horrible B movie, and it stank so bad.

shitgas everywhere

Pretty much. When they were building the city they went with the cheaper option of doing a combined sewer system. Of course no politician wants to spend the ungodly amount of money that would be required to fix it, so it just keeps being a sore spot.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
Don't you worry about a thing, we'll have that stench cleaned up by 2025 or so! http://www.citizensenergygroup.com/Our-Company/Our-Projects/Combined-Sewer-Overflow

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

At least the sewers weren't exploding from sewer gas + arcing electrical like they were last year...

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Oops wrong thread.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

My copy of Vast just shipped :toot:

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.
Just booked my room for next year in the same hotel I stayed in this year. Had a really great stay this year and if you don't mind the 10 min walk it's only $165 a night. For some reason it's not part of the portal and is about 3/4 of a mile away from the convention.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

And uh, which hotel is that?

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

And uh, which hotel is that?

La Quinta Inn Downtown Indianapolis. I was skeptical when i booked it last year but it was a pretty good hotel with a decent hot breakfast.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Rad Valtar posted:

La Quinta Inn Downtown Indianapolis. I was skeptical when i booked it last year but it was a pretty good hotel with a decent hot breakfast.

I stayed there one year, confirming it wasn't bad. The walk isn't too bad either.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I have a family friend that lives in Indy, thinking about just staying at their place next year so I don't have to pay anything for hotel.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

A month late, but my friend and I made a couple little vids at GenCon and we made a compilation/sketch/thing. Enjoy! Or Don't! - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mU003_nwA_o

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

nesbit37 posted:

I just got accepted to DM at Origins with a free 1/4 hotel room. Eager to compare the two cons, and if anyone has anything they want me to find out while there about Origins since the internet has next to nothing on the convention let me know and I will see what I can do.
Nesbit37 what did you find out

oh, you wrote about it a few pages later. Good write-up. Though you did not mention that Hot Chicken Takeover is literally the greatest fried chicken joint ever. Well, O.K., I have probably only been to a half-dozen amazing fried chicken places but one being a half-block from Origins is pretty perfect.

So yes, hilariously I also went to Origins, because I actually had an errand I needed to run in Columbus(!) and my wife and I figured that was as good an excuse as any for me to find a substitute convention. Though Origins is certainly no substitute for Gen-Con. It is, however, fun in its own way, even if primarily through feeling like Gen-Con did in the 1990s (minus the Auction this year, and...oh, let me tell you how thrilled I was to get there and look for the Auction and find it had been shelved for the year due to construction). Also I like that you also referred to it as being like 1990s Gen-Con. Clearly that must be accurate if TWO PEOPLE said it.

hi thread

Texibus posted:

I've never waited in a long line at Gencon, silly to me too.
Then, to be fair, you are doing it wrong, as that means you have never gone to the Auction Store. Well, unless you are an excellent stakeout-manager who nails the line at the perfect like mid-afternoon mini-lull. But those lulls are all but gone in the past few years honestly.

Fellis posted:

nobody's posted yet but NO TRIVIA AT COLTS GRILL TONIGHT people are meeting at tilted kilt instead
Any afteraction reports from anyone who actually went to the Thursday version? I hope it utterly failed for our own purposes next year, but something tells me it probably did "fine" and they will continue it.

Yep genuinely laughing out loud at this even exhausted at 1 A.M., well done Bottom Liner

ritorix posted:

This was the year I discovered Call of Cthulu. Played a demo then I immediately threw money at it. A Chaosium rep gave me a bunch of pregens and a free-rpg-day module so I could run it in the basement of the Omni for my group. They were creeped out, 5 stars.
Call of Cthulhu is probably my favorite RPG, and pretty fantastically versatile when you get right down to it, because it can be fun to play for a single night or for a lengthy campaign; it all depends how long you take to bring out the Things Virtually Guaranteed To End The Campaign. And if you have people who are hella into the atmosphere it relies on, you are virtually guaranteed to have fun.

So anyway... New thread for next year, yea or n(ea)ay? Yine or nine? I can see the advantage of keeping this one (as long as I update the original post, though I am a little concerned how Junkie Disease seemed to only post in the thread to promote Haveli; might he, perhaps, OWN IT?). I think as long as I update the first post to sound more Chronologically Agnostic and run with it then it should be fine.

Sorry for being so sad that I could not go that I just disappeared from the thread entirely. BUT I AM TOTALLY GONNA BE THERE FOR
GEN
CON
FIF
TY
O
M
G

Also Nemesis of Moles, that is absolutely the least-boring "some people went to a fun thing and took little zany videos" montage I have ever seen. Thanks.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
I say new thread. Just copy/paste the op and edit in some of Bottom Liner's 2016 pictures, change the dates, and link to this thread for archival reasons. I always feel like a new thread encourages people to check things out and post for the first 6 pages or whatever till it just looks like another megathread.

Congrats on your excuse for missing gencon!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Happy to see a Dr Quarex, PhD, Esq post in the GenCon thread. Even if it's 4 months late. We missed your manic energetic posting this year. Glad to hear that you're alive and well and back in the mix for GenCon 2k17.

• Locked thread