Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Yay, new GenCon thread! Got my badge and made my buddy buy his own through his account (would've been easier if I could've bought it for him) to double our chances of getting a JW room for the third year in a row. Hope the Sunday room lottery goes smoothly, kinda nervous that we'll get hosed out of a room somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Great job on the first post(s) as always Quarex. I have one nit-bone to pick though:

St. Elmo's is loving awesome and my annual tradition of getting shitfaced on martinis, making dumb jokes about the free navy bean soup, and eating a fiery shrimp cocktail and slab of Midwestern beef is one of the high points of GenCon for me.

I guess if you live in the middle of nowhere and don't have any good steak houses nearby, Ruth's Chris is fine. I have 3 or 4 Ruth's Chris' within 30 minutes of my house though and St Elmo's is a real treat for me.

Seriously, no less than Ron fuckin' Swanson swears by St. Elmo's.

That said, the box lunch that Ruth's Chris does for GenCon (on Saturday, I believe) is a good deal for good food and is worth signing up for if they do it again this year.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

50 minutes for me, 2hrs 16mins for my friend. Here's hoping 50 mins is actually good enough to get a double at JW.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

That wasn't bad at all. Looked like there were rooms in all the good/downtown hotels still and I was able to get my 2xQueen JW room without a problem.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Syntaxed posted:

Uber is in Indy now, right? I imagine you can just Uber from the airport hotels for pretty cheap and they'd have not shortage of customers during the con. Probably wont be all that expensive compared to a downtown hotel anyway.

Pretty sure Uber's in Indy. We actually used Lyft last year to get to the airport on Sunday. So that's an option too.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

I didn't even try for VIG this year (tried unsuccessfully last year). Are they just impossible to get because people who already have them, keep them? Did they increase the number of available VIG this year?

I'd gladly split the cost of VIG + a companion with my GenCon buddy if it guaranteed a room and was attainable.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Mudcrab Merchant posted:

It's really polarizing to go from Anime Expo out in LA (80k+ anime kids) to GenCon (55k+ amazeballs of people) to the dreaded DragonCon (120k of nerd Mardi Gras) because any other show I am at.. all I can think of is "man, if this were GenCon..." and cry a little bit inside.

I think you and I may've chatted in thread or groupme last year about what a clusterfuck Dragon*Con has turned into. I grew up near and live in Atlanta and have been going to D*CON for 20+ years and over the past 5 or so years it's become pretty unpleasant (and I say that as a white male target demographic person, I can't even imagine how awkward/infuriating it must be for girls [and boys!] in scanty costume). I mean, I'd venture to guess that D*Con is waaaay more lucrative for your business than GC but I find it pretty miserable to attend these days (other than the parade, which I still enjoy).

Seriously folks, GenCon is a safe and happy environment for both females and males in my experience. It's the Con where playing games is the priority. Dragon*Con is literally 5 minutes away from my house and I only bother going one day; I fly to Indy to spend 5 days at GenCon. It really is that much better.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

How do you guys figure out which events to sign up for? Just pick a game system you like and blindly buy tickets for a session based on the day and time? Find GMs you like and sign up for whatever they're running?

The past couple years I've mostly stuck to Games on Demand, the open boardgaming library, and pick up games with goons or IRL friends. This year I actually want to put a few formal events on my schedule but I'm kinda worried about a) wasting 6 hours to get one turn of play (ShadowRun clusterfuck discussed above) b) ending up in a game with half-cat wizards who use rape magic (or something equally ludicrous/repulsive) c) no-fun rules lawyers who are going to be antagonistic because I haven't memorized the underwater light radius table from page 443 of the out of print Atlantis supplement or whatever.

Should I just roll the dice (sorry, pun) and sign up for whatever sounds interesting with the expectation that there's a chance it will be weird and unfun but I may get a good story out of it?

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

The TOVA part of the auction would probably have some of that stuff. Quarex? Toys, Oddities, Video (Games?), ??? It's like a four hour block on Saturday, I think.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

head58 posted:

One of the guys I'm going to GenCon with is having a birthday while we're there. Any recommendations of something in the area to do? We'll have a car so getting away from the immediate area around the convention center won't be a problem.

Shrimp cocktails, steaks, and martinis at St Elmo's.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Usually in June or so a couple of geeklists pop up on BGG with lists of GenCon new releases to look out for. I probably heard about most of last year's hotness (Conquest, Doomtown Reloaded collector's edition, Tragedy Looper) in last year's thread; people will post all the cool poo poo here once we get a bit closer.

This will be my third GenCon and I signed up for my first real RPG game (Base Raiders) and myself and two buddies are trying True Dungeon for the first time this year. Didn't get into any NSDM games though; really wanted to do the WWI one. I may try to hang out and get in on generics if someone doesn't show.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Kaddish posted:

We doing GroupMe this year?

Oh yeah, thanks for reminding me!

I never deleted the room from last year so if you were in GroupMe last year it should be pretty easy to rejoin but in case it's not... (Quarex, add to OP plz)

GroupMe - GenCon chat room and meme facilitator

The past couple of years we've used GroupMe to group chat, organize pickup games, post pics, and drunkenly talk poo poo to each other.

Install the GroupMe app on your phone.
Create an account.
Use this link to join the GenGoons room: https://groupme.com/join_group/9123611/dMNjpU

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Looks like someone compiled this year's big-rear end geeklist of GenCon boardgame releases:
GenCon 2015 Preview

There are also a bunch of smaller, more curated lists if you don't want to dig through the 14 page megapost:
http://boardgamegeek.com/geeksearch.php?action=search&objecttype=geeklist&q=gencon&searchfield=title

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Did my first ever True Dungeon(s) tonight. It was fun! Doing both back-to-back for 4 1/2 hours was too much though. One per day is saner. Also, the group you get makes a huge difference. First game was all newbs, we completed the puzzle track but it was kinda confusing and chaotic. Second game was a mix of newbs and veterans, one of whom busted out a huge token collection and buffed everyone up. It was still fairly chaotic but we completed it too and had more fun.

pakman posted:

Can anyone suggest a local coffee joint that isn't Starbucks that's decent? Also have a hankerin' for either ice cream or frozen yogurt.

Bee Coffee Roasters is across the street from ICC (by the food trucks), really good, open 24 hours through the con, and doing a "buy 4 coffees during GenCon, get a d6" promo.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Werix posted:

Could you expand on the true dungeon a bit? I was considering it, but $52 seems a little steep.

Sorry, just saw this. I'll effortpost about it when I'm sober (or come find me in JW bar RIGHT NOW and we'll tell you more about it in excruciating detail). Summary: worth trying if you've never done it before but it REALLY depends on the group.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Aw, I'd pulled this thread from my bookmarks and missed a bunch of posts.

I'll be back for my 4th consecutive GenCon, pretty stoked. I usually go with 2 friends but this year another friend got an artist table and 2 of our D&D group are riding up with him. Should be fun to have a bigger pool of RL friends to hang out/game with.

Gonna work on my event wishlist this weekend, so if any other goons are running cool games, post here so we can sign up. Every time I've gamed (or just gotten drunk) with goons, I've had a blast. I'll try to make sure I get a goon event or two on my schedule. Any thoughts on an NSDM session we could try to take over? I've been wanting to try NSDM for a few years now and haven't.

Yay GenCon!

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Bummer about NSDM but thanks for the warning.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

GroupMe Link

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Happy to see a Dr Quarex, PhD, Esq post in the GenCon thread. Even if it's 4 months late. We missed your manic energetic posting this year. Glad to hear that you're alive and well and back in the mix for GenCon 2k17.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Got my badge on Sunday and also added a couple more people to my ever growing band of IRL friends at GenCon. Should be good times. Just gotta linke down that sweet JW room.

• Locked thread