Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS

Weirdo posted:

My fiancee and I are debating attending again this year, but August 8th is our wedding, so I think we may have to skip it :v:

Just get married at Gen Con. Wedding and honeymoon at the same time. Don't even need to get a new hotel room.

saint gerald posted:

Yaay new thread!

:getin:

I will be attending this year once again and look forward to playing random games with random goons, because that was one of the most fun things I did last year. Barring massive upset I'll also be playing in the Netrunner nationals and around for pickup netrunnin' as available.

Gencon noobs: if Backno invites you to breakfast, SAY YES. That man knows his breakfast joints.

Well it sure is nice to be appreciated :dance:. This will be my 7th Gen Con to celebrate my 7th wedding anniversary (we go every year), I am an Indy local so if you have questions about anything don't hesitate to ask.

Backno fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jan 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS

Kaddish posted:

I wonder how hosed housing will be this year.

Will probably depend on when you get to buy your hotel. I personally have never had to deal with the Gen Con hotel bullshit. The one year we got a hotel room I found one in the housing block months after the housing block opened at the JW.

I will say the same thing I say every year, if you are wanting to grab food and booze that is close to the convention center while dodging the 2+ hour wait at the RAM or something go to Loughmiller's. The past few years more people have become aware of it, but it's nowhere near as busy as some of the other places. Even at 7:30 pm on Friday night I have walked in and gotten a table for 4 with no wait.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS

Lawen posted:

Great job on the first post(s) as always Quarex. I have one nit-bone to pick though:

St. Elmo's is loving awesome and my annual tradition of getting shitfaced on martinis, making dumb jokes about the free navy bean soup, and eating a fiery shrimp cocktail and slab of Midwestern beef is one of the high points of GenCon for me.

I guess if you live in the middle of nowhere and don't have any good steak houses nearby, Ruth's Chris is fine. I have 3 or 4 Ruth's Chris' within 30 minutes of my house though and St Elmo's is a real treat for me.

Seriously, no less than Ron fuckin' Swanson swears by St. Elmo's.

That said, the box lunch that Ruth's Chris does for GenCon (on Saturday, I believe) is a good deal for good food and is worth signing up for if they do it again this year.

The Ruth's Chris lunch on Friday is always worth it. The wait is not very long for how long the line can get.

As for Fogo De Chao, it's great if you want to stuff your face on some meat, but if you want a high quality steak St. Elmo's is the best.

edit: Also good luck to all of you on the room lottery, I hope it goes better than the mess it has been the last few years.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS

nesbit37 posted:

I dunno, they have to do something. The past few years have been a cluster gently caress for housing and event reg. the convention is growing at a crazy rate. This isn't the gen con of 2003 or even 2010. I wish they would release some numbers about this and previous year badge sales before both hotel reg and event reg to get a good gauge of that growth. This system, despite the glitches, at least was an attempt at fairness through randomization. I didn't have a glitch and my parents, who are attending their first gen con since it left Milwaukee, where also able to get a room without a hitch today 90 minutes after registration opened. I don't know what else gen con can do besides set up shanty towns or move, and the second option isn't happening until after 2020'if it even happens then.

Btw, I wrote gen con customer service about people buying badges after 12 and getting to get a hotel room right away. They actually wrote back to me around 2 saying they heard about it and fixed it it away. I don't know if that's true or not but I am glad they were so responsive on such a busy and probably lovely (customer service wise) day for them.

One thing that will help is they are in the process of building another hotel downtown. Basically Indianapolis wants another Super Bowl but can't get it without at least 1 more luxury hotel and a pretty big jump in the number of hotel rooms available.

Lawen posted:

Pretty sure Uber's in Indy. We actually used Lyft last year to get to the airport on Sunday. So that's an option too.

Uber and Lyft are both in Indianapolis now. When it gets closer to the event I will see if I can get some promo codes for you guys from all the drivers I see. Perks of working nights at a gas station near the big bar area.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS
Something to also understand is that the majority of the politicians that voted for this are for the areas that are NOT Indianapolis. Indianapolis, from what I am seeing, largely thinks this is a horrible piece of legislation. While some businesses in the area might not be fans of the gays, they know that to actively discriminate against them.

What I feel is going to happen is the law will get tossed in the courts. Pence gets a win with the crazy base and gets a "those drat liberals are holding us back, but we will keep fighting the good fight" speaking point. In the meantime the city and the Indianapolis Chamber of Commerce are going to have to kiss a bunch of rear end and spend a poo poo load of money to keep things here until the law gets tossed.

Edit: the city-county coucil is already trying to fight it.

http://www.theindychannel.com/news/local-news/indianapolis-city-county-council-to-hear-anti-rfra-resolution-monday

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS

Sigma-X posted:

Are those places within walking distance?

The biggest appeal of the Ram is the quality and price of the food/beer for the distance. Walking in from the Con, getting shitfaced, walking to the hotel and drinking more is our typical end for the night.

No they are not. I believe it is that time of the thread for my standard recommendation of Loughmiller's. Over the last few years it has gotten more popular, but even last year I never even had to wait for a table. Meanwhile places like the RAM would have a 1-2 hour wait at that exact same time.

If you are willing to walk a bit, Massachusetts Avenue is full of awesome places to eat and drink. Thanks to the demographics of the people going to the con, a lot of people are not willing to walk that far. This helps keep the crowds down most of the time. At least this is true until Friday/Saturday night when the area gets it's normal weekend night people.

If you are wanting to see what Indiana craft beer is all about then the Tomlinson Taproom is where you want to go. It's inside the Indianapolis City Market, which is an awesome building, with plenty of seating and tables for games.

Once we get closer to the event I will do a more serious list for you guys, or just comment on chronos when he does his.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS
No matter how hard I try things always end up forcing me to eat at "normal" hours so I had to learn all places that are a little further away to dodge the crowd. It also helps that I have "free" parking a couple of blocks away so I can come and go as I please if I want to go to something more than a walk away.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS

Ego Trip posted:

I suggest taking Backno's advice on local food. He has not lead me astray.

Do not believe him when playing Avalon, though. He is a stone cold liar.

I am STILL pissed the guy threw in the wrong card in one of those games. And I told the truth a bunch of times as well, just was a very convincing liar when I was a bad guy.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS

Trynant posted:

So hey I should be going to this thing for a third time (except that I still need to book a room but hey I have cash to splurge on something close even at their ridiculous prices). EDIT: And hopefully I will book something in walking distance so I can actually have drinking nights at the con ffs.

Backno knows his poo poo. Some of us goons got some great stuff here when SU&SD did their public get together there (say what you will about their tastes in games they know a good place to get beer).

Also Backno was the first goon I spotted at GenCon twice in a row so what's with that.

Anyways, if any goons want to try for some board gamey stuff I'll be doing mostly that at the con.

And here is to hoping your bag of awesome stuff doesn't get stolen this year.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS

Lawen posted:

Shrimp cocktails, steaks, and martinis at St Elmo's.

100% this. My wife and I went there for the first time for our Valentine's Day dinner and were blown away. I had always heard it was great, but it is 100% worth the hype.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS

Bottom Liner posted:

Just bought my badge today. First time going, and first time visiting Indi. I'll be there for a week and a half total for work reasons, anything else in the area I should be looking to check out before/after Gen Con?

Also, I"m trying to plan on what to bring as far as luggage in case I buy a lot of games/stuff. How are the prices? Good sales and deals? The last con I was at the prices were a bit higher than online except for ding and dent copies.

If you are going to be in town that long I would highly recommend checking out the Children's Museum (if museums are your thing). While it is definitely geared towards kids, my wife and I like to go by our selves and not have to worry about keeping an eye on a little one.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS

Haystack posted:

Oh yeah, with regards to the luggage thing, an option you might consider is just shipping whatever you buy directly back home. There's even a fedex booth in the halls.

It's UPS, but same concept. Although the FedEx Office on the circle is the best place to ship from my wife works there

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS

Admin Understudy posted:

My first year going, pretty drat excited. Gotta bunch of events in my wish list but I'm thinking about leaving one day wide open.

I'll maybe seek out some goons for gaming - I'm going with a group of 5 or so but we're planning on going basically solo and regrouping at night.

My rule of thumb has always been no more than 2 scheduled events per day or 6 hours for said events. This gives enough time to just check stuff out, meet up with people, get food, etc. Besides some of my best moments are from just finding random people or Goons and doing something.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS

LuiCypher posted:

Go and just enjoy! Honestly, the best board game I came across at Gen Con last year was Tragedy Looper. Never heard of it before and it looked like they got some animes in my boardgames, but I was tired of waiting an hour for a Dead of Winter demo and there were two open seats - one for me and one for my now-fiancee.

It just blew me away. Easily the best new boardgame at the con, in my opinion, and I just stumbled across it by luck.

One of my buddies got this game and I thought it was FANTASTIC. It is on my list to try and pick up this year. Also on the recommendation from one of the Goons who I played Avalon with my wife and I demoed Chaosmos and ended up ordering it. That should be arriving in the next month so I will have that to play with you guys.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS

CellBlock posted:

I was the Chaosmos goon. I really can't wait for my copy to show up, because it's such a neat game. Tragedy Looper is really cool, too.

If I'm not able to get into this YTCC came on Thursday at 8, I'd be down for a goon raid on NSDM. (Which probably will happen, since I'll likely be away from a computer on Sunday at noon.) Maybe going into it with people I (sort of) know will help me be more interested in it.

My copy came today. Now to find people to play it with.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS

Quarex posted:

Have you gone to the Colts Grille trivia (Wednesday) night yet? I do not remember meeting you, BUT to be fair I only actually remember the handles of about 1/4 of the people I see there every year, haha. Anyway the nerd trivia is fun, the food is actually pretty good, and the most awkward thing that has happened so far is probably us sitting in two separate groups the first year for the first hour because we did not immediately recognize a table of Goons on sight, which if you think about it is actually pretty cool.

sithwitch13 posted:

I went to this two years ago and had a blast. One of my fondest Gen Con memories is someone from Mayfair Games buying us a round of drinks due to our team name.

That would be team: "I get why they are dressed like douche bags, but why is it called steampunk?" The best part was the MC trying to read the name without laughing too hard.

Backno fucked around with this message at 11:29 on May 17, 2015

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS
Well I know since I live in town I have access to my entire game library as long as I have advanced notice.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS

Bottom Liner posted:

Yeah, I'm betting GoT will be a hot commodity. How are prices at Gencon usually? Good deals for buying directly from vendors or premium convention prices?

It's pretty much MSRP for most everything. Some dealers will do some con specials like buy game + all the expansions for 15% off or something. That being said, on Sunday some of the dealers are just trying to make poo poo go away so they don't have to pay to ship it back. Just try and pay with cash and ask if they can give it to you a bit cheaper.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS

Reynold posted:

Looks like the Starcraft board game. I'd get it if it was half the price, as it stands I don't need another $100 board game nobody wants to spend 5 hours playing 2 hours setting up/tearing down, 3 hours playing.

Fixed that for you.

While I love the properties that FFG gets their hands on, I wish they would do a better job at cleaning up their games. To much cost in 9000 random tokens for every little thing.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS

Lawen posted:

Oh yeah, thanks for reminding me!

I never deleted the room from last year so if you were in GroupMe last year it should be pretty easy to rejoin but in case it's not... (Quarex, add to OP plz)

GroupMe - GenCon chat room and meme facilitator

The past couple of years we've used GroupMe to group chat, organize pickup games, post pics, and drunkenly talk poo poo to each other.

Install the GroupMe app on your phone.
Create an account.
Use this link to join the GenGoons room: https://groupme.com/join_group/9123611/dMNjpU

Dear god this app kills my battery every year.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS

Len posted:

I was thinking about event coats at Gencon and I'm wondering if event runners decide the cost of events and if so do they see some return on it? For example True Dungeon has crazy production values and it's expensive. Do they see a return on the price?

If I remember correctly from when I looked at running some things you got a good chunk of the money from the event. Not sure what the % is offhand though.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS

Crackbone posted:

Steam Noir: Revolution
Revolver 1
Revolver 2
Lagoon: Land of Druids (KS edition)
Fresco: Big Box (with KS board)
Seasons w/ both expansion and promo cards (air elemental, orb of ragfeld)
San Juan 2nd edition
Power Grid
Power Grid Deluxe: North America/Europe
Temporum
Ladies and Gentlemen
City of Horror
Hanabi
Forbidden Island (with bonus deck of extra island layouts and roles printed at Artscow)
Coup KS Edition
Ticket to ride map packs: Asia and India/Switzerland
Tragedy Looper
Black Fleet
Quantum
Lewis & Clark
Sherrif of Nottingham (with all promos except preorder one)
Lords of Waterdeep
7 Wonders
Dungeon Twister: the card game

I could be interested in Tragedy Looper. Won't know for sure until we get closer to the event.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS

Merauder posted:

Can anyone local to Indy recommend and popular hobby stores in the area? Ideally ones that actually sell a full selection of board games, and not just Magic or something.

Game Preserve, Saltier Games, Hero's Emporium to name a few.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS

Rusty Kettle posted:

I have an extra True Dungeon ticket that I bought. It turns out my friends chose another time, so I want to offload this one. I feel gross making a profit on it, but is there a way I can sell it for cost or trade a game for it somewhere?

You can pretty easily get generics from someone for it. While they are technically tied to a name none gives a poo poo if they in fact match up.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS
Just a reminder guys: http://www.ruthschrisindy.com/GenCon/GenCon

Wife and I do this every year, always nice to have a meal that requires minimal waiting.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS

Pez posted:

Sadly we couldn't get a room at any of them and are at the Courtyard Marriott near the airport (or so I am told)

Thankfully getting stuck out at the airport isn't the curse it used to be. Between the shuttle, Uber/Lyft, and just the number of people that are now out at those hotels getting a ride in and out each day isn't the hassle it used to be.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS
As a local I have access to my entire collection, just need to know what people want to play.

Chaosmos
Alien Frontiers
Agents of Smersh

Those are the 3 that I own that most people haven't played/are interested in checking out.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS
So my local list of places to grab food at while avoiding the masses:

Yats - New Orleans style creole. A bit of a hike, but if you are willing to go to Mass Ave. area well worth the trip. Cheap as well.

Loughmiller's Pub - My go to place when I want lunch and a beer without the insane waits of places like the The RAM or Scotty's. Veterans of the thread will know I mention this place every year and it's my favorite "secret" place during the con.

Tomlinson Tap Room - Located in the Historic City Market it's an awesome spot to grab some Indiana beer. Lots of space and tables so games are easy to do. Normally one or 2 booths will stay open to provide food, but there are other places nearby to grab food.

Barcelona Tapas - Has already been mentioned, but wanted to add my agreement.

Mass Ave. Pub - Looks like a little shithole bar, good food, good prices. We have done a couple local Goon meetups here.

I am sure djfooboo (I miss your face) will be able to toss a few more things that I missed.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS

Millions posted:

Sun King brewery will have a beer garden each day of the con right out on Georgia Street. Come see me on Friday, I'll be slinging beer wearing a Finn hat from Adventure Time!

Also, we just released Drink On And Prosper, The Official Beer of Gen Con (™) which is a blonde ale aged with pomegranates, apricots and cherries. It's good poo poo!

vv Sorry to hear that! We'll also have a limited batch of barrel-aged Froth of Khan (last year's beer) for those interested!

I am hoping this will be the first beer that they made for Gen Con that I don't hate.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS
Just worked all night. Eating breakfast, doing some chores around the house, grabbing a nap, then heading downtown.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS

Old Doggy Bastard posted:

At my lovely motel, Red Roof Inn Indianapolis South, trying to placate roommate drama and figure out parking for GenCon- anyone have any tips because althought we have reserved parking for Thursday and Saturday we cannot find any for Sunday or Friday.

Goon carpool?

Park at Lucas Oil Stadium. It's like $5 for the day and you just show up.

Backno fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Jul 30, 2015

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS

BlackIronHeart posted:

To the goon who recommended Loughmillers, you’re my hero for this weekend. I think everyone I carpooled with went there at least twice and it was always fast and tasty.

You are welcome, it is my goon only secret tech. While there are places with slightly better food, the combo of location, fast service, and reasonable booze rates it's hard to beat.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS

Deviant posted:

Also the American moderator was a bit of a prick.

A BIT!?!?! Seriously gently caress that guy.

Bucnasti posted:

Yeah we walked a block past the food truck area and found the Yard House almost deserted, was nice to just chill out someplace cool and quiet for an hour.

This is why places like Loughmiller's is sweet. They are just far enough off of the beaten path that there is almost no wait.

Backno fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Aug 5, 2015

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS

djfooboo posted:

They were there. I had to explain to my fiancé what they were.

I bet her reaction was a combo of :barf: and :psyduck:

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS
:gooncamp: is more like it.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS

BlackIronHeart posted:

Please excuse Loughmiller's from the food guide as I want it to remain my personal oasis at Gencon and you nerds will ruin it for me.

Also lets me have my yearly mentions of it and look like a badass.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS

djfooboo posted:

If my phone weren't poo poo I would make it to stuff. It drains so fast with that app running.

Buy yourself a portable battery. You can get a big one for like $30 and a cheap one from Speedway for like $15.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS

Reynold posted:

:hf:

10/10 will pretend to be a tourist in my own city again

Same. That and we get to watch the room lotto fight from afar.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS

saint gerald posted:

It's not too bad if you are all good friends and bring earplugs. Keeps costs down.

I would do the suite thing again this year only I don't think we are going to have enough people. It was awesome to have a room that could seat our entire group in comfort. That fucker was huge -- had a round table that would seat 8 easily and was perfect for gaming. Then there was a couch and a couple of recliners in a different area. It cost like $1000 a night, but split 12 ways that's fine. And we could just book it without having to go through the whole lottery thing.

Waifu pillows get left at home. No wives, no waifus. No husbands, no..husbandus? Is that even a thing? It's probably a thing. Quarters are tighter on the drive up than in the room.

You could always come share my futon with me. I will just have to let the wife know she gets the bed to herself that week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS

saint gerald posted:

Hasubando. I pray to all that is holy that I am never in the situation of having to need to know that again.

I am slathering myself from head to toe in apple butter in anticipation.

Too bad you 2 destroyed your goodie basket before this storm hit.

• Locked thread