Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Radio Free Walrus
May 16, 2015
Luck really (713 this year, 3000 last). But if you really want group events you need a whole bunch of people going for it - our group does TD and thankfully one of our members got 80. That stuff sells out quick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Free Walrus
May 16, 2015
Refresh the page. That means there's something wrong.
Or, rather, open a new tab. Don't refresh the important one.

Radio Free Walrus
May 16, 2015

Neveth posted:

Anyone know how long it'd take to go from 3104 to 0? I gotta leave in 4.5 hours and I'm pretty sure it's rude to be on my phone confirming ticket purchase while out with my in-laws for late Mothers' Day.

You'll most likely be in the cart before 4.5 hours passes. We've gotten up to.... about 1k in roughly 25 minutes.

Radio Free Walrus
May 16, 2015
Hooray for 45 something TD tickets. Boo for sold out escape rooms.

Radio Free Walrus
May 16, 2015
Do Gencon for TD, WhosYourCon TD is kind of a crapshoot. Almost everyone who goes to that for the TD is already super loaded with equipment, so unless they're chill and are willing to outfit you with gear you won't be able to contribute.
It's fun when they give you the equipment to play some wacky prestige class, less fun when you're walking around in reds and everyone else has dropped multiple thousands of dollars.

Radio Free Walrus
May 16, 2015
The line is my home. Used to go for all the Privateer Press stuff before it sold out, this year going after Mansions of Madness 2ed. Hopefully it facilitates setup a little bit better, as half the reason I didn't get to play the 1st edition much was because it took so long! Alternatively, I may just be impatient.
Anybody else helping me haul stuff around for TD mon-wed?

Radio Free Walrus
May 16, 2015

Red posted:

By the way - where can one find the solutions to puzzles from True Dungeon?

True Dungeon puzzles will be posted online in a few days. If you have any specific questions though I know the answers to most if not all.

Radio Free Walrus
May 16, 2015

Red posted:

- The first puzzle was the cogs with letters and buttons underneath. You had to form a chain with eight buttons, or something, and the hint was 'What is a dark elf kidnapper's favorite weapon?'. We were completely lost, though the DM for the room said we had part of it right - we tried forming a literal human chain spelling out trapdoor. We each took some damage and moved on.
This one was a little goofy, and honestly the rogue box puzzle clue wasn't great. The answer to this puzzle is *Drow'sSap* which without the apostrophe is Password backwards. Not the best puzzle in the world, and honestly the rogue box clue leaned more towards Darkness or Shadow than spelling password backwards.

Red posted:

- The next puzzle was a room with a panel that had valves, knobs, and switches. Then a wall had ropes attached to boards with letters - pulling the rope brought the board to a level, and you could spell out words across 8 boards (turn knob, etc.). Everybody just stood there and kept playing with the board, and just decided to try something random. We took damage and moved on.
This one actually came after the next one down, as it could not be solved without Today's Password which was on the wall in the focus room. Effectively, you did have to spell out 6 different combinations of words - this is actually easiest if only two people dictate how the cards move and everyone else does what they say. You had to do the following in any order : Pull chain, turn/spin knob, pull lever, flip valve, knock door, and finally speak the password.

Red posted:

- Next was the puzzle that had a board with creature names and symbols, and a chart of the creature characteristics. The only clue was the DM repeating "Focus". We had no clue. We took damage and moved on.
So, did you see the rotating images? If you compared those with what was written on the board, you can figure out that each one of the pucks was some kind of creature that was attracted and repelled by certain elements. Each puck then had to be moved around until you figured out which of the grids had the correct attract/repel match, and then you placed the puck on the Focus slot.

Red posted:

- Next was the puzzle where you had panels on which you placed a laser lamp, and had to reflect it off a light and hit another panel. We couldn't get it. we took damage and moved on.
Honestly, this one sucked. The laser wasn't anywhere near powerful enough, so unless your DM had a paper sheet he used to make the bream clearer or you had a geometry whiz it was night on impossible.

Radio Free Walrus
May 16, 2015

SirPhoebos posted:

At Nightmare difficulty, my group could only hit the Beholder on 20s. And since we were taking 15 damage per failed puzzle, we were short on healing items. We ultimately wiped on time.

Overall not the best first impression of True Dungeon.

What in the heck were you doing in there on nightmare. That's crazy talk for a first run.

Radio Free Walrus
May 16, 2015
I do not know on that one, my guess is we'll hear about it in the next few weeks. The completion rate is pretty variable, as if a combat is deemed to difficult they get toned down very quickly during the con. One of my friend's first times being an NPC last year resulted in drow-related TPKs for the first day and then basically none the next.

Also, honestly while getting more tokens is great, actually having an enjoyable time is way more important. Our first run of the con was a little mediocre due to milquetoast NPC drow lady and a broken drum sound effect, but our last one was great with singing succubi, a dude in a sweet fallen angel costume, and friendly GMs.

Does anyone need Deeperdark puzzle solutions? I've got a rough outline of those in my head too at the moment.

Radio Free Walrus
May 16, 2015
It'll do that.
Basically if you did last year's final puzzle this one was pretty easy, because it was all about the names. Each one of the weapons in the room had different names, each with a different number of letters. As such, you'd start with Axe (3) and then work your way up with things like Mace (4) Spear (5) Dagger (6) .... until you reached whatever the final weapon was.
The DM should've let you keep going after the first explosion, in normal it does damage, HC it immediately kills whoever did the wand but I thought you were able to try again.

Radio Free Walrus
May 16, 2015
Yeah I dunno, we did not get good NPCs for the first two days it seems. Which is honestly super disappointing, because they're part of what sells the drat event!
Also yeah, getting super crazy into it people in your group when you're not as into it or just starting out is really not very fun. It's more fun when you have buddies that you can relax and enjoy it with.
Also also, presentation is hit or miss partially due to the volunteers for setup. Some of them are good, and others end up using multiple extension cords for no good reason and flub the cavern walls.

Radio Free Walrus
May 16, 2015

Deathlove posted:

:eng101: You could just follow the tiles on the floor.

That makes far too much sense, and is thus unreasonable!

Radio Free Walrus
May 16, 2015
I figured we got it low enough for it to whip out prismatic spray / disintegration eyes or something before getting the gently caress out of dodge - I'm pretty sure we won't be returning to fight it. This whole thing is now chasing the Mind Flayer on his quest for the Teeth. If upon collection of all the teeth we don't fight some sort of super golden demi-lich I'm going to be solidly disappointed.

Also, PSA on people with tokens who haven't played much before - if you have anything that isn't black or green text keep or sell it. Value is roughly Black -> Green -> Red -> Purple ~Blue/Cyan -> Orange. There was at least one guy at the convention who pulled the orange Redoubt Plate, which can be bought online for roughly 1.5k.

Radio Free Walrus
May 16, 2015
My group is still SOL on a VIG member, so I'm really not looking forward to February. Even with 6 people trying to get hotel rooms last year was a real shitshow for us.

Radio Free Walrus
May 16, 2015
If people get into the Blue Monolith (JW Marriott), try to have some points with them already. Their lounge / food room is glorious - it's a rare day when I can get free bagels and lox.
I'm hoping to stay with a friend during TD installation volunteering, but I would miss not having the skywalk during the actual convention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Free Walrus
May 16, 2015
I'm considering trying for the hotel that has the converted train rooms in it. Those are just super goofy and I love it.

• Locked thread