Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003
Yaay new thread!

:getin:

I will be attending this year once again and look forward to playing random games with random goons, because that was one of the most fun things I did last year. Barring massive upset I'll also be playing in the Netrunner nationals and around for pickup netrunnin' as available.

Gencon noobs: if Backno invites you to breakfast, SAY YES. That man knows his breakfast joints.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003
Suites are available now at the Hilton if anyone wants to skip the inevitable gangfuck.

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003

nesbit37 posted:

That's how I read it as well, a $10 increase each year? Though their use of year-over-year doesn't exactly make sense.

I might check the Hilton suites, though I am guessing they are going to be too much. If I was going in a big group I am fine with splitting the room but right now its just me and hopefully my girlfriend (she wants to go this year but is a little intimidated having never been to a con of any size). Dropping a grand plus just to sleep for 4 days and keep stuff some where it shouldn't be stolen really sucks.

More like two. I got one for five nights and it ran $2,400. Fortunately we have a big group and it's not much different than getting two regular rooms.

Are we pub crawling again this year? I wept bitter tears of beer envy when last year's shenanigans clashed with my True Dungeon slots.

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003

Len posted:

What is True Dungeon like? Every year it immediately sells out but we don't know enough about it to attempt getting tickets. It's some sort of larp that you can level up in and stuff? We're under the assumption that you can spend the $40 or whatever and fail meaning you wasted money. Is that the case?

I've been for the last couple of years, and we normally run twice. It's a set of puzzles (dexterity, memory, lateral thinking) plus a combat system that is based on shuffleboard, all with constructed sets, costumed NPCs, and massive, cool automata. Every so often a guy dressed as a werewolf will sneak up behind you in the dark and make you poo poo your pants, or you'll pick up some semi-hidden prop and have to talk like a duck for the next ten minutes. You don't level up as such, but you do win tokens with equipment, consumables, spells etc. that you can bring back year after year. No matter how badly you do you'll get some of these, but they are only really a big deal if you're in it for the long run. (Ignoring the outside chance that you'll luck into a rare item that some neckbeard will pay you a grand for, which has happened.)

Is it worth it? Not in isolation, IMO. It is what you make it. I do it year after year because we take a full group of friends, we have several people who have been doing it for a decade or more and have enough tokens to kit out everyone, and we don't take it too seriously. It's generated lots of good stories that we still tell and laugh about. I think of it as part of the Gen Con experience.

If that's enough to pique your curiosity, I think you'll have a good time. But I go year after year for reasons that are not really connected with the quality or value of the experience itself, and I think that if I were relying on pick-up groups the quality and value of the experience would decline significantly.

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003

Carteret posted:

My hotel booking experience was painless. $92 a night, and since I'm driving 11 hours to Indy instead of flying like a money haver, I have my own transportation! :v: What's another 15 miles?

I'm just glad that I decided 2 weeks ago that "goddamnit, THIS IS THE YEAR" and I have literally everything taken care of.

want to play Netrunner with this guy

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003

Carteret posted:

:toot:

See you at Nationals?

I will be there, doubtless keeping the seats at the middle table warm, as I was the last two years. I'll probably bring another couple of decks for fun play too.

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003
My hotel room is nonrefundable. :/

All of us cis/straight men (and women) should pick an afternoon to put on frilly dresses and march through the streets around the convention center in solidarity with our queer gamer bros (and sisses).

saint gerald fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Mar 26, 2015

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003

head58 posted:

The GenCon Twitter account posted last night looking for convention and visitors bureaus who want to be part of their RFP process. I don't know if that's customary 5 years out from the end of a contract but it certainly seems to me they're exploring their options.

Yeah I've had someone call me a coward for not canceling my trip. I'm sure the moral high ground would make up for the couple hundred dollars I'd be out if I bailed at this point, and that my refusal to go would make the governor immediately change his stance.

It's not like any Indianapolis businesses are actually going to discriminate against any queer conference goers during Gencon. It would be commercial suicide. It might even be actual suicide, depending on how rowdy the protest got. This year's conference is a done deal, and according to the Gencon CEO many (most?) of the Indy business community, the people who are actually making money from the Gencon crowd, are opposed to the legislation anyway.

Better to go, be aware and supportive of our queer brothers and sisters, and be ready to drop the dice and go picket the everloving poo poo out of any business stupid enough to actually refuse service to anyone under this new law. That's my thinking, anyway. If the law stays, and Gencon stays in Indy past 2020, time to rethink. But I don't think it will come to that -- either the law will be shot down by the courts or Gencon will nope out of there.

I do think a pride march or other formalized show of opposition from the gamer community would be a nice event, though. I would like to see that happen.

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003

Cardinal Ximenez posted:

The problem is that while Gen Con might not be able to change their plans, their guests can and will, due to potential PR backlash. And the more that defect, the more awkward it is to go.

Do you mean businesses, or celebs? Celeb guests have never really been Gencon's thing...I'm not sure that anyone would notice.

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003

Lord Frisk posted:

No, attendees. The consumer, as it were. Folks like you and me.

Oh, I see. Yeah, we'll just have to see how that plays out. I room with a bunch of gay folks, and if they decided to stay away I likely will too. I don't think they will, however.

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003

Deathlove posted:

Another year, another lack of cribbage events! One year, I will do this. This is not the year.

I will totally play cribbage if someone brings a board.

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003

Len posted:

We could try and pick a NSDM game and make that the Goon game. It would either go wonderfully or terribly.

This is an outstanding idea. Especially if we can build in drinking somehow.

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003

head58 posted:

Thursday at 8 sounds good. I'm also putting in for the 12am Saturday one because why not.

Also in. This sounds awesome and I have no idea how I managed to go two years without doing it.

edit: also, is there a goonrun Dungeon World game this year because I want a piece of that action

saint gerald fucked around with this message at 20:53 on May 14, 2015

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003

head58 posted:

You can also just walk away if you start to play something and it turns terrible. I've faked an emergency phone call from my wife many times when it became clear the next 4 hours were going to be insufferable.

Yeah, this. Gen Con time is loving expensive once you add up all the costs involved in attending. I have zero compunction in noping out of a game that is going south. I think I've only had to do that once, though.

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003

Haystack posted:

Alright, event signup today! Does anyone know how the whole wishlist->cart process handles overlapping timeslots? I recall having issues in the past, but I can't recall if it was when trying to add things to carts, or when checking out.

As far as I can remember you can double-book yourself all you like.

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003
I really want to play Artemis this year. There are still lots of slots available. Anyone want to tag along?

I am busy Friday AM and Thursday 8 PM for the NSDM session, but pretty flexible otherwise.

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003

rjderouin posted:

The best part about this one is the girl who modeled for it will be there she is a good friend of mine who is an actual beer maid I will introduce you!

oh god i'm so conflicted

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003
Also I have a spare ticket for the official goon NSDM on Thursday if anyone missed out.

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003

Deviant posted:

I'm interested. Which Thursday slot is it?

8PM.

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003

QnoisX posted:

Speaking of games to trade. I'd be willing to trade X Com or King of Tokyo + Powerup expansion. Turns out I really don't like press your luck dice games. I've only played X Com once. Should probably give it another chance, but I'd be willing to just trade it off if anyone wanted it.

I've been wanting to try X-Com. Anything in particular you might want to trade? I have $$$ too.

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003

Deathlove posted:

I also own Argent and want to play it so I'll bring my copy and I'll make sure to study up and be ready to teach!!!

(this will end poorly)

I do not know what Argent is but thanks to this thread I want to play it so perhaps you can teach me

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

As someone who has never actually won the housing Thunderdome, what kinda rooms can you get through it? Prices, locations, etc?

And uh, how strictly do they enforce that 1-2 people per badge thing?

Rooms per badge, right?

quote:

Room Limits In-Place
Badge purchasers are allowed to book one hotel room for every 1-2 badges purchased. The following is an easy table to note how many rooms may be reserved per badge. Rooms are reserved one-at-a-time.

1-2 badges = One rooms
3-4 badges = Two rooms
5-6 badges = Three rooms
7+ badges = etc ...

You can cram as many people into a room as the hotel will let you get away with, and in my experience the hotels don't give a poo poo as long as you're not openly doing it and you don't piss off the cleaner. We had 10 to a standard double room in 2014, and 12 to a suite last year. Probably end up doing again this year.

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003
It's not too bad if you are all good friends and bring earplugs. Keeps costs down.

I would do the suite thing again this year only I don't think we are going to have enough people. It was awesome to have a room that could seat our entire group in comfort. That fucker was huge -- had a round table that would seat 8 easily and was perfect for gaming. Then there was a couch and a couple of recliners in a different area. It cost like $1000 a night, but split 12 ways that's fine. And we could just book it without having to go through the whole lottery thing.

Waifu pillows get left at home. No wives, no waifus. No husbands, no..husbandus? Is that even a thing? It's probably a thing. Quarters are tighter on the drive up than in the room.

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003

Dr. Quarex posted:

I believe it is spelled "hasubando," Saint Gerald.

Mai hasubando pillow~

Hasubando. I pray to all that is holy that I am never in the situation of having to need to know that again.

Backno posted:

You could always come share my futon with me. I will just have to let the wife know she gets the bed to herself that week.

I am slathering myself from head to toe in apple butter in anticipation.

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003
27 minutes! =D

hahaha my roommate got 3 minutes

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003

saint gerald posted:

27 minutes! =D

hahaha my roommate got 3 minutes

JW for us, for the first time ever. Gonna be nice being right in the thick of things.

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003

Carteret posted:

4 badgeholders all vying for a room is handy. We scored the Courtyard by Marriott Downtown. "Skywalk" supremacy.

Still tons of skywalk rooms available.

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Yeah I vote this.

I may have spent the past 4 days setting up an automatic system for checking the hotel page for a downtown hotel and alert me when/if one pops up. If you keep checking there's pretty regularly 5-7 mile hotels opening up!

Offer your services to the public, charge a finder's fee, pay for Gencon.

edit: free bag of strokeweed with every room

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003

Ego Trip posted:

For the third year in a row, I will probably eat 2/3 of my meals at Loughmillers.

I really want this year to be the year I make it to Fogo de Chao. Stupid vegan friends.

But based on prior experience I will probably spend most of my time asking Backno where to eat and what to eat and following his advice to the letter. TO THE LETTER I SAY. Yats' etouffee still haunts my dreams, although sadly it is nowhere near downtown.

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003

Backno posted:

Don't worry, I will get you to a Yats when you get here.

I will walk through broken glass to get to a Yats. In fact I'm just thinking of it as YatsCon this year.

Backno posted:

Fogo, while good, is stupid expensive for what you get. If you come into town early (hint hint) I will take you to a similar place that is much more reasonable price wise. The wife might even make you some snacks that your wife can't steal ;-*

Ah, if only I could...between work and my wife's birthday on 8/3 it is a struggle to find the time to go at all. That said, we'll be arriving on the Wednesday, although that night is usually given over to our big reunion dinner. Previously that has been at Weber, but I think I have finally convinced the rest of the group what a terrible idea that is (overpriced, sub-par food, noisy/antisocial) so I am not sure if/where we will be eating that night. Were it my decision we would get pizza in the room and then head to the Colts for trivia and associated goonery.

Also, I will gratefully accept any and all snacks made by your good lady wife. Or indeed yourself. I'm looking forward to hanging out again this year.

fordan posted:

If you sign up for Fogo's email club they do send coupons. Perhaps you might even tell them your birthday is in late July.

As luck would have it, my birthday is in late July...

Backno, did First Watch close? It seems to be both there and not-there on Google Street View depending on exactly where you "stand". If it is still there it makes an excellent and reasonable breakfast if you're in the mood for something a little more interesting than hotel fare.

I also like Punch Burger. It's a bit of a hike but it has the substantial advantage of being right next to a first-class liquor store.

On the subject of bringing games, I tend to carry a messenger bag packed with a few small, light, easy-to-teach games. Hanabi, Resistance, Seventh Hero, Dixit (fits fine in a ziplock), Perudo you can usually mostly improvise, Cypher (or indeed any of AEG's microgames) and at Gen Con I am never without Toc Toc Woodman, because it is the perfect game when everyone is too drunk or tired to learn anything new, but not quite tired or drunk enough to quit.

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003

8one6 posted:

Basic survival tips
1) Don't panic.
2) Think of the one game you never get to play that you want to play. Now find it on the schedule and try to get in.
3) Don't over book yourself. Leave breather room in your schedule.
4) Connect with other goons for pick up games. There's an app.

5) If Backno tells you to go to a food place, go to that food place. In fact just do whatever Backno says and you will be fine.
6) Pack light and wear good shoes. Take snacks. Take a reusable water bottle.
7) Gen Con gives refunds on unused event tickets if you get to the booth in time (ten minutes before the event starts, I think?).
8) If you wind up at a table with a bunch of shitheels, make some excuse and walk the gently caress away. Gen Con time is like gold.
9) The JW Marriott is not the Marriott, and vice-versa.
10) Choose at least one random thing that sounds cool and do it. I have had some of my best games that way.

As far as scheduling goes, my rule is to prioritize those things that you can only ever do at Gen Con. For the last few years, for me, that has been True Dungeon but I'm kinda over that now. But I still recommend doing it at least once, especially if you can grab a few goons for company.

unrelated:

I have always wanted to play Battlestar Galactica but I have never been able to get a group together. I registered for an organized BSG game last year but did not go because I thought the other players might be asses and also I saw something shiny or was drunk or something I dunno. Anyway. I would like to play it this year. Maybe we could pick a session to goonrush, or maybe someone could bring it and teach. If the latter I'll happily supply some beers or bourbon or whatever to help lubricate things, Colonel Tigh-style. Any takers?

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003

Double Agent posted:

Will there be another building set on fire?
Will a character get their rear end kicked repeatedly?
Will someone get shot?
Will another character end up being executed after spending a couple of decades on death row?
Will there be another terrible idea involving pharmaceuticals be hatched? (I honestly don't remember who, if anyone, mentioned dick pills in the planning session, but it was too good an idea not to run with during the game)
Will someone try to impress their girlfriend by taking them to a "nice place" like Hooters?

And the strokeweed! Don't forget the strokeweed. Fiasco was a unique experience...definitely one of the high points of last year's show.

mkultra419 posted:

I will have Dark Moon (rebranded BSG Express) with me the whole con if you and anyone else are interested in a game. We had a lot of fun with it last year.

From what I have learned from Google in the last two minutes this sounds like an excellent idea and I would love to play.

CellBlock posted:

If you want Call of Cthulhu, look at the events hosted by Novus Ordo Seclorum. They always sell out, and this year, they're running like 4 a day, plus some special long ones and past years' versions. (In the past, they've done things like Night Train, which only ran overnight and was only for like 6-8 people.) They go way over the top with their presentations, and I'm hopeful about getting into one of their sessions.

Also this. I might just buy out a session, I'm sure I can fill it with some combination of my group and goons.

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003

Slandible posted:

I think about Gencon every loving day.

This.

Also, thanks for the Chaosium heads-up, Haystack. Bought out a session for my group. =D

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003

Rad Valtar posted:

For the Pick Up and Play Room do you have to buy tickets in advance and also what is the capacity for that thing? Is there also a general area to play games you are bringing that doesn't cost to get into or is that room the main spot for that kind of thing?

You can get into the game library/pick up and play room with generics. I kinda doubt capacity is much of an issue.

And yeah, there's a vast amount of informal space at the convention center and in the surrounding hotels that's available for whatever. Find table, find chairs, plop self down, play. Most of the goongames I've been in on over the last few years have started on GroupMe as "Hey, we have three for $game and a table in hall F, who wants?"

You'll also find bars and such in the area will not mind if you grab a table and start playing something. If you are taking up a six-top with Twilight Struggle and not drinking you might get some nasty looks I guess, but other than that I wouldn't sweat it.

Short version is there's shitloads of space all over town for games to break out in spontaneous fashion and personally I would not bother with the game library.

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003
Oh, and while I'm here, I bought out a Chaosium Call of Cthulhu game thinking my regular group would go with me, but mistakes were made and everyone except me is busy at that time. So before I refund it, anyone want in?

It is Friday 5pm-7pm. 5 seats available. No experience necessary (I've never played it, I just heard it was good).

https://www.gencon.com/events/101363

edit: current list is:
1. saint
2. Fellis (maybe)
3. Goldmansack
4. Ego Trip
5. CellBlock

Also, Fordan points out that this is right before the goon TD run that starts at 7:13. I think there is probably time to do both if you leave right at 7 but TD is not real tolerant of latecomers.

saint gerald fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jul 6, 2016

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003
I will probably bring Codenames too. Also Knit Wit (new Matt Leacock word game with string) and Toc Toc Woodman.

Yes, I like stupid drunk games.

saint gerald fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jul 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003

Backno posted:

compact version of Codenames

Tell us of this.

• Locked thread