Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
Welp, I got my time off confirmed so this'll be my first GenCon. I'm super excited!

What sort of times do things usually kick off? When should I plan on waking up each day? I work nights and I know my standard sleep schedule is going to get shot to hell so I'm trying to plan ahead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

Thanks for the tips! I'll try not to pack my day too full though I don't know if I'll be able to resist after-hours stuff since I'm usually up until 8 in the morning. Getting up at 10am sounds horrendous but I won't be there alone so I'll have my wingman push my rear end out the door at a reasonable hour. :)

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

A buddy of mine is planning on running Apocalypse World games that include character creation, which I don't think would be too bad since chargen takes about 15 minutes in AW.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

Mudcrab Merchant posted:

You guys are all talking about gaming and I am always working! I wish I had the time to go do cool poo poo with you without the looming presence of my events and booth hanging over my head! It's so depressing! :suicide:

Countblanc posted:

Just do it anyway. Doing events is lame and costs money, just play games with people after hours.

Yeah! I'm a total night owl and up for whatever after hours, and I could probably convince my friends to stay up as well. :)

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Speaking of events, in the spirit of doing the exact opposite of what I did last time I went to GenCon, I'm going to run a single session of a Dungeon World game. I'm a pretty good GM and it should be fun and you're all invited as my new best friends

I just might have to get in on this since AW has been my group's jam for the last 8 months and I've forgotten how to play any other system. :downs:

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

Huh? I thought Gencon was pretty family friendly.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

Oh right, after hour events, duh. I should've realized that!

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The roads into Detroit would crumble under the weight of tens of thousands of nerds coming in, I don't think she could bear the strain.

But yes, please do, it'd cut my drive from 4 hours to about 1.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

Reynold posted:

I used to work at the cigar shop right next to Nicky Blaine's a while back. If you don't mind paying slightly more for good drinks and a fancy cigar lounge atmosphere, I definitely recommend going down there one evening to relax. Their cigar selection is about average, but their prices are incredibly high, even for a high-end lounge. They will charge you a $5 "cutting fee" if you bring in your own cigars to smoke, but it is still cheaper to bring your own or buy them from Hardwicke's than to buy them at Nicky's. I'm talking $16 regular line Fuentes and poo poo. Also, don't buy pre-embargo Cubans, if they still even have any. Not worth it at all.

I was wondering about cigar bars since I'm the only one in my group who enjoys cigars and likely won't have any other opportunity to enjoy one at Gencon, so thanks for the info!

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

As long as you do your job and don't break any rules, they can't fire you.

Boy, I'd love to live in the magical fantasy land where this is true.

I work nights and thus it was impossible for me to be up at loving noon (Which would be something like 3 in the morning to most people) to click buttons. I would buy a beer for any goons willing to run Call of Cthulhu!

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

Deviant posted:

Awwwwwwwwwwwww yissssssssssssssssssss.

High-five! I'm in the same boat, I just got the Saturday beforehand approved so now I'll be less of a total loving zombie when I'm forced to get up at 8 or 9 in the morning. Having to be a daywalker sucks but at least I'll have loads of gaming to keep me distracted from sleep deprivation!

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

Welp, joined the GroupMe but I'm not getting in until tomorrow. Shouldn't have done that, super excited now.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

I'm finally done packing after a trip to the supermarket and two separate trips to the pharmacy. I could drown a steer with my hand-sanitizer. :black101:

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

Gutter Owl posted:

FINAL ATTACK! open play again tomorrow. I'm looking at 6 or 7PM, but tomorrow is probably my most flexible workday.

Who wants in, and what time can you play?

I'm down, robots are always fun. I only have some seminars in the afternoon so I'll keep my eye on GroupMe.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

Is Aetherium with the 10% coupon a no brainer?

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

To the goon who recommended Loughmillers, you’re my hero for this weekend. I think everyone I carpooled with went there at least twice and it was always fast and tasty.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

Just got home and I had a blast. I feel like it was a very successful first Gencon and a lot of that goes to the advice in this thread, so thanks to Quarex and other gentlegoons for that stuff. I can't wait for next year.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

Yeah, I had 3 2200mAh batteries with me for my S5. I was using my phone from around 8am until 2am or so and 1 of the batteries kept my phone above 50% the entire day. I'd definitely recommend one.

EDIT: Also frowning, I recommend frowning a lot.

BlackIronHeart fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Aug 3, 2015

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

Does anyone have any links for good picture dumps? I didn't take any photos but I'd like to show friends and coworkers what it was like.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

I managed to keep spending to a minimum, I think. I dunno, my first time so whatevs. Final tally was:

Game of Thrones LCG (thanks Mudcrab Merchant!)
Aetherium wargame
An oil-painted sketch from an artist who did the oils for free because she thought my character concept was hot.
Forgeworld coffee mug (Death Korps of Krieg)
Forgeworld Salamanders tee-shirt
Lots of frown jokes. Dim Dourfist would approve.

BlackIronHeart fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Aug 20, 2015

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

Yeah, my hotel was something like 15 miles from the ICC and I'm resolved to do whatever is necessary to secure housing attached to the con next year. gently caress driving 20 minutes to my hotel.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

It would be more expensive, certainly. Some back-of-the-envelope math for myself is the hotel room at $360 for three nights and then we spent approximately $100 on gas and $100 on parking. The room was split in half and the vehicle expenses were shared among 4 people. I think a similar room at the Fairfield went for about $1200 for three nights. If we took out the parking costs and had 2 more people in the room then we'd still be above what we paid but we'd be at the ICC and not 15 miles away.

Being in a room attached to the ICC means I can buy a board game/huge books in the morning and not carry that weight around for 18 straight hours. Or do cosplay and be able to easily get to my room for repairs/sweat maintenance/anonymity. Or have a guaranteed room for games with goons. Sooooo... Yeah, I'll gladly pay extra for those things.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

For anyone who wasn't using it, the GroupMe app was really nice, very funny at times and it's the only reason I snagged GoT, thanks to Kim. Get on that poo poo next year.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

Haha, I ate at Loughmiller's twice and one of my friends ate there at least 3 or 4 times. It was really the best place to quickly get a good burger and beer.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Quick after action from me!

Can confirm that a Nemesis Of Moles dungeon is loads of fun, just watch out for crystal wizards and the biclops.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

Mudcrab Merchant posted:

Rolling luggage should be burned if taken into the Exhibit Hall.

Only if we can also ban people and their costumes that don't fit inside a hula hoop? Some jerk-rear end was walking around the dealer's hall with a 3 foot Companion Cube strapped to his back while a lady was complaining that people kept hitting the 5 foot long, semi-rigid leather tail that was hanging off her rear end. There are already staffers at every entrance, I think, so it'd be nice if they could spot check folks and direct them to the cosplay areas in the concourse.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

One of my buddies apparently came down with Con Plague early Friday morning. I guess it needed some time to incubate. Anybody else feeling like death?

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

DO IT.

My gaming group is already talking about Gencon and making plans/scheduling time off.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

Please excuse Loughmiller's from the food guide as I want it to remain my personal oasis at Gencon and you nerds will ruin it for me.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

I think we need to do this room lottery Ork style. I'm 6'5" so I'll go first...

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

Carteret posted:

Install GroupMe the week before. Bring extra usb power bricks so your phone doesn't die in 5 hours. Seriously.

Want some poo poo that is limited? Goons got you. Looking for grub? Goons got you. Bored and want to play some games? Goons got you. Enjoy booze and boardgames? Goons got you.

Install GroupMe. Goons got you.

This man speaks the truth. Listen to this man.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

drat, that's a lotta vendors!

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

If this is your first GenCon, you need GroupMe and goon support, especially if you're flying solo.

Also Nemesis of Moles is a A Good GM, would frown with him anytime.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

I don't mind saying this since he already said it pages ago but Ilor will probably be doing some informal games of Apocalypse World using the Harn setting so keep an eye out on GroupMe for that poo poo. He's magic as a GM.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

Get with the times, old man. I guess you can use me as your info drone while we're bumming around.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

Holy poo poo I still remembered my GroupMe password after a loving year. In as Jacko, see you assholes tomorrow.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

Through some combination of black magic and trickery, we apparently ended up with free parking all weekend. I dunno how, I didn't drive, but that's gotta be one for the record books.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

Double Agent posted:

Same here. Which hotel were you in?

Westin! In fact, we were in room 1337, that got a rise out of everyone.

Helical Nightmares posted:

For you gents who survived Gencon, what were the best apps to have on your phone for coordination, travel and productivity?

GroupMe is invaluable. Goon tips on food, in particular, are legendary.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

Sore throat and nose that's doing marathons here. Hit me hard on Monday night and I think I'm just now on the rebound. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

poo poo Ilor, and you still beat our YJ player on Wednesday. What a mad man.

• Locked thread