Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

StandardVC10 posted:

Can't you probate Dick Spacious one more time for good luck?
too late, he's already not a mod anymore

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Beef Waifu posted:

I discourage discussion of everything. There will be no more discussion, now all people will do is make posts about what their favorite anime character are and gifs.
viva la beef waifu

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the wildest rear end posted:

Good thing Zorak stepped down, since his name came from an american cartoon.
every time i probate someone it costs the animators 40 cents

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

there was a match in a japanese wrestling promotion where a ladder fell over onto the champion and pinned him for the three, becoming the champion

later, a girl and her dog ambushed the ladder backstage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAn4xWV5jJE

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Most of the threads seem pretty normal, I don't see the problem.
excuse you, someone posted their thoughts on dragon ball z in lowercase. i will not stand for this fuckery

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

for real though if someone's obviously poo poo posting/derailing the conversation that's one thing but I think there's room for both 'Personally, I believe Madoka's ribbons are a metaphor for the economy. If you look in episode 3, timestamp 12:37, you can see that..." and 'my fav. anime is madoka because homura has cool hair'

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

people can disagree with you without it being incestuous backpatting

you might have just said something dumb

i cant believe im being forced to go up to bat for the loving ubw thread

edit: and, well, I mean, the season thread is kind of for unfocused chat loosely related to the anime airing that season/news about upcoming seasons. specific discussions about the shows aren't really supposed to be there

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

unlimited blade works, the fate/stay night anime that aired last season

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Rodyle posted:

Homura's hair is not cool!

More seriously I feel bad for being down on people trying to engage in serious analysis because I think animation deserves to be treated like anything else, but then every time someone tries to be serious, I just start getting flashbacks to late 90s forum threads attempting to glean the meaning of life from NGE.
Serious analysis can be cool the problem is there's like two people on this forum who aren't immensely terrible at it on every conceivable level

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

4chan does not have better threads

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Vengarr posted:

4chan has about a thousand lovely threads for every one good thread, but one good thread still has more content than what we get out of here.

Mostly drawing threads, but I've seen some funny poo poo and some interesting poo poo, like when the Log Horizon guy came to answer questions. ADTRW hasn't done poo poo. No poo poo.

the simulwatch threads were cool

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

turning adtrw modship into a popularity contest is

a: dumb

and

b: would almost assuredly get us an 'fyad-lite'er. like legitimately, big anime fan here or dick spacious cpa would win that poll. that isnt a joke that is what would actually happen

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I think the problem is a lot of people feel scared to make effort posts because, uh, some people don't use their shift keys sometimes, I guess?

Just make the effort posts. The worst that happens is somebody calls you an idiot, which, we're all adults here. I think we can handle people thinking our anime opinions are dumb.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

lol

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

then you'll be happy to know that

what the gently caress anime do you even like

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Beef Waifu posted:

I have never seen Ibram Gaunt post about a non-JoJo or Fate anime in ADTRW.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I posted about Parasyte, once.

The Man That Couldn't Be Owned

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Monkey Man posted:

Wait, WickedHate is a woman?
wickedhate was a woman. now she's a banned.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Beef Waifu posted:

Kill La Kill is the worst thread this forum has had in the past few years and that's pretty drat astounding.
Depending on your perspective, it's actually the best.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I think going 'make funny' is kind of dumb. Like, yeah, that was SA's mission statement at the start, but the forum has evolved. If the only job was to be funny, then there'd only be one giant forum where we all talked about robes looking like dishrags. Obviously, if forums for specific topics exist, then discussion about those topics is expected. You can make sincere points, or you can make jokes. I think both are valid, and can coexist hand-in-hand - maybe if people empty quoted effort posts with 'lol gay,' this weird argument about them not fitting together would make sense, but I've never seen that happen. I've seen people disagree with effort posts, but that's called discussion, not trolling.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Beef Waifu posted:

I am probating all anime discussion and this is going to become the official Crocheting part of the Something Awful forums.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Gnossiennes posted:

Amigurumi Death Tentacle Rape Whorehouse
actually, it doesn't mean that anymore... 'rape whorehouse' is way too, uh, skeevy... now the abbreviation means... uhm... well...

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

BILLG (Bitch I Look Like Goku)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Budget Prefuse posted:

suggestion: let's all vote on who has the best anime avatar and make them the new ADTRW mod
da black broly

AnacondaHL posted:

This, and I'd go one step further. There are many non-punctuation/grammar posts that offer more insight and humor than if they were written normally, and display more effort.

But a good portion is just low content trolling, which can be done at any other anime forum of your choosing. ADTRW should stand apart and strive for the best ratio of the former to the latter. Hell I'm pretty sure the deciding reason I :10bux:'d for this site was the one Zorak guideline: "Don't post like a Japanophile moron", and again there are countless other sites out there to type like that, ironic or not.

Then why not ban/probate people for low effort trolling and keep the people who're making actual jokes/insight that just happen to be in lower-case? It's not like our only options are 'kill all the shifthaters' and 'become FYAD'

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

AnacondaHL posted:

Yes, that would be one way to do it, and that's essentially what the policy used to be like 3-4 years ago.

But I can only imagine how much time and effort it took to maintain that, with only one person enforcing (and near zero help from the community).
well, I mean, read the posts that're reported and decide for yourself if they deserve punishment or not.

Even with Only proper punctuation, it's not like low effort trolling would go away. You'd just be catching a lot of legitimately funny posters in the crossfire.

edit: also imo, two mods or one mod, the rules mod should be someone who doesn't give a poo poo about anime, like Xylo. That way there's no people being probated because they didn't like Legend of the Galactic Heroes (a thing zorak actually did)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

K. Flaps posted:

Just reveal the new mod already.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

personally, i like that the irc has good posters like the lady who was translating the gay rape torture game

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Oh, and the guy who got banned for being a pedophile

hrm, yes, this is definitely a cool IRC for fun people to hang out in and not a bombshelter for hosed up weirdos

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Devil Tesla posted:

Aware that they are being talked about on the forums, the IRC members flail wildly, like vampires exposed to sunlight.

Mecha Gojira posted:

Sorry, was in the bathroom and missed you coming in and asking for shota. Easy to miss. As a consolation prize, have some Shotaro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzKOPYO_Kt0

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Namtab posted:

So admins how much longer do I have to wait for you to contact me re: the mod position
one joke is funny, ten jokes is desperate begging

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah zorak endorsed literally 90% of the creepy people

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

literally

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Big Anime Fan Here posted:

Like if there was a super convoluted chess manga I would read that in a heartbeat
code geass

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

*clears throat* ahem: Code Gay rear end
yeah that's what's great about it

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

DrSunshine posted:

JosephWongKS got probated because by the end he was just RSS-posting links to the latest chapters of Squid Girl with no other discussion.
How is that probation-worthy? If no discussion is happening, it isn't his fault. And people make 'hey guys, new chapter' posts all the time in active threads.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Also in the previous ADTRW climate you would get in trouble for thinking the incredible hooters of Faye Valentine and the sweet rear end of Revy, or hell, even the supple curves of Cutie Honey and Fujiko were good, but if you clearly wanted to gently caress a young child but you never explicitly said "drat, that young child is making me horny as hell" in the Little Sisters Sinful Adolescence Season 2 Thread and instead talked about the gorgeous character design and brilliant political subtext when little sister has sex with the huge Russian man, that was okay.
also you could post about translating a vn where a man fucks a child up the rear end while forcing a noose around the child's neck and zorak would defend you and probate the people who disagreed with you

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

but only if the child is a boy instead of a girl

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

as someone who likes and watches monogatari is it absolutely baffling that discussion of it was never banned, considering all the other poo poo zorak banned discussion of

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

While we're airing general thoughts: I don't get the appeal of K-On at all, and I've watched both seasons + the movie twice

it is very relaxing and the girls are cute and likable and play off each other well. sometimes the jokes land but even when they don't it's all generally charming

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

Now that the mods are away we can all get down to business and start making fun of all the K-On fucktards.
mods??? modsss??? i cry to the night sky as i get brutally owned

• Locked thread