Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Perestroika posted:

Since I haven't seen it mentioned here yet, Matt Easton has been putting up a few videos of a HEMA-focused tournament called Fight Camp recently. Even for me as a complete layman they're pretty entertaining to watch, especially the sabre one. Here they are:

Military sabre: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvhxUmAE2eY (16:40 is especially interesting, it features a guy who appears to come from a completely different school of sabre fencing)
Backsword: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlIWpgxKwmc
Rapier: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEKHi_SBGJU

Yeah, some of the sabre stuff was pretty good to watch. Certainly the most watchable of the 3 videos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

It's the same issue with all martial arts. Once you sportify them, people will find the best way of playing to the rules and that often involves playing not to lose, rather than trying to win.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

You should get this.

That was not fair linking that site!!!

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

HEY GAL posted:

rip ImplicitAssembler's wallet

Once I get my man-cave, I *will* start a sword collection and are happy to start with replicas.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Crazy Achmed posted:

Ha, someone brought a cavalry sabre to training a few weeks back. Heavy as gently caress for my delicate little foilist hands, but after I was shown how to actually hold it (thumb wrapped around the grip rather than straight up) and it made a bit more sense. Hell, if I ever find a nice antiquey one for not too much money I might buy it to put on the wall... or in the kitchen next to the knife block to see people's reactions.

As luck would have it, my favourite foil blade is giving out, too. It's a maraging BF from 2009 and it'll be sad to see it finally die :( This is going to be an expensive holiday season for me.

yeah rip

Also, can anyone who does japanese swordy stuff explain to me what's going on in the demo done before the women's foil finals at Torino recently? Video is here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-9hTVYXooA (samurai stuff starts around 9 minutes)
They seem to stare intensely at each other, do a single carefully executed cut or guard, then spend a great deal of time sheathing their weapons again. I'm kinda curious as to what was actually happening here, is it just people demonstrating one move each while looking cool, or are they doing something more specific?

They look like Aikido people (The Mizuno branded gi's are a big giveaway) doing iaido-seitei kata very badly along with some of their own homemade 2-person kata, probably loosely based on Yagyu-shinkage-ryu. As Ueshiba-sensei was trained in that, which means Aikido people are often doing some kind of crappy sword work.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Siivola posted:

The socks and the red hakama don't look like aikido gear, and the aikido sword syllabus I know is done entirely with bokken, without draws. I mean I guess they could be local aikido people who just cross-train an actual sword style, but :confused::

We did a kendo demo at a large aikido seminar some years ago and there was many bewildering types of aikido, using a variety of weapons, almost all of them very badly.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Meiw6GR-zSY

I suspect our next intake of beginners will be a lot bigger now!!

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

ScratchAndSniff posted:

Kids are assholes who go out of their way to hurt each other.

My experience with kids & kendo is almost completely opposite. They'll still whack the poo poo out of adults, but are amazing at controlling the amount of force they use when they practice with their peers (or juniors)

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Verisimilidude posted:

https://www.exercise.com/workout-plans/fencing-workout-plan

I'm basically following this workout plan but I'm wondering if there is anything I should add or change. Glaring weaknesses, that kind of stuff. Also I was wondering if people could share their workout plans for fencing (historical or olympic).

Do you know how to clean & snatch?.
Most strength plans wont combine upper & lower body. and it also seems weird having both straight bench press and incline bench.
I would also add more shoulder stuff and forget the lat/bicep stuff.

Since you have access to a barbell, I would consider just following a 'Starting Strength' program.
http://startingstrength.com/

Finally, you should add some interval work on top. Just a simple tabata cycle after the strength part will carry you a long way. (Row, cycle, run, choose your poison).

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Hopefully you used a decent credit card or paypal and can just submit a backcharge through them?.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

This is rather well done:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leOP7rWwBpw

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Siivola posted:

Yeah no we didn't suspend the bouts or anything. I walked off because I was halfway through my first match, my opponent had a lead on me and we'd already racked up fifteen pushups. I figured I'd rather cut my losses than risk ending up with twenty more by the end of the day.

I just wanted to have a bash, dangit.

Seriously? You're whining this much about a few push-ups?.And you walk off to avoid them?. If you quit that easily, what are you going to do when it gets harder down the line?.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=733ITpn6lG4

Fencing & Red Bull?
I respect his skill, but certainly not his character.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Verisimilidude posted:

http://youtu.be/kL9BQV9YPlU

He's arguably one of the best swordsman in the world, and I say that without exaggeration.

Arguably. Pretty sure he wouldn't make that claim himself. (And yeah, I know him a little bit).

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Nice collection of points from last years All Japan Police Taikai
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dsnEe54TA0

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dsnEe54TA0&t=335s

Only to the throat and it's pretty hard (and high risk) to pull off.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Cephas posted:

This is mainly a kendo question but I imagine it applies to fencing, too: outside of practice, do you have to do any exercises to compensate for your fencing posture? Like in kendo, there's a lot of standing on the ball of one foot while standing normally on the other foot, and it makes me wonder if I'm going to end up like Trogdor and have one beefy calf.

Well, you shouldn't be completely flat on the front foot; While the heel may be touching the ground, the main pressure should also be on the ball of the front foot.
I know some teachers who insist of people also keeping the front heel up, in order to make sure that you use the front foot correctly.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

If you rely on parries and ripostes, why should any opponent fear you?
Similarly, in order for ripostes to truly work, you have to force the opponent to attack on your timing and you can only do that, if you put pressure on the opponent, but if the opponent doesn't fear you, that's unlikely to happen.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

It works just as well when you are just playing for points. You don't want to give up a point and you want to score a point on the other guy.
In kendo, we often refer to the 4 sicknesses; fear, doubt, surprise and confusion
Fear of getting hit/losing a point
Doubt of your own ability/technique.
Surprise, when the opponent does the unexpected
Confusion, when he constantly changes timing/distance, etc.

All 4 leads to opportunities to score points. All of them can be overcome by believing that you have a strong attack.

These are then also tied into the '3 ways of killing'

Kill the sword; By manipulating the opponents sword to open up an opportunity)
Kill the technique; Counter attack his attacks. Changing distance as he attacks, etc.
Kill the spirit (mind); By appearing, calmer, stronger and more in control than him.

Kendo is also technically difficult. It takes years to develop a decent basic attack and 90% of the practice is focused on attacking. Due to the restrictions in targets and the requirements for scoring a point, the opportunity for doing so is also very small compared to both sports fencing and 'historical' fencing. This means that when you do attack, you have a very small window for doing so and will need to do it without hesitation and fear. If you worry about the counter, you wont be able to attack as fluidly and freely as you would otherwise be able to.
Most people who have competed in one way or the other will know this. Once you have an opponent in front of you, with a crowd and judges, everything becomes much more difficult.
Doesn't matter if it's tennis or martial arts; Techniques that you can carry out freely in practice, suddenly become very hard to pull off and you find yourself, depending on your mental state, either flailing around or falling back on the few techniques that you can rely on.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

The other problem is that there's no variance or any real athleticism on display. Just bash, bash, bash.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

BirdOfPlay posted:

They start this Saturday with Women's Epee - Individual and finish next Sunday with Men's Epee - Team. I believe NBC will be having the same broadcast schedule for fencing, but I'm not sure. At London, I think it was only Women's Sabre that got televised at prime time, but that would be a grave disservice to our Men's Foil team.

I'm hoping that the BBC will have the same online coverage as they did for the London Olympics, which was a really good way of catching up. Not sure if this was mainly due to it being 'local'.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Verisimilidude posted:

Someday!

Actually, some small steps are being taken in that general direction. This October there's some kind of martial arts tournament thing at Disney World, and HEMA (longsword) will be represented there. The finals are being aired on ESPN3.

As long as the scoring system remains incomprehensible to outsiders, that wont happen. There's some factions within kendo, who wants it to become an Olympic sport, but the majority (and the Japanese) has no interest, as they'll know it'll destroy it as a martial art and turn it into a martial sport. (See: Taekwon-do)

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Crazy Achmed posted:

Not trying to troll here, but isn't kendo already fairly sportified, given the limited target, priority rules, and lightweight weapon? Or is the argument more about people wanting to lock any discretion/ambiguity out of the judging?

It's a fair question and one that isn't easy to answer. Kendo still has a very strong link to it's roots. The lightweight weapons were developed in order to practice safely at full speed.
The limited targets are there to make it harder, so that you can't just play touch and at the same time, there's quality requirements on those: You have to be fully committed, it has to be done correctly and you have to maintain control after the hit. There are no priority rules.

At the same time, kendo has both a sport side and a non-sport. The majority never competes, but practices kendo simply for the sake of practicing kendo. It's also something that many people practices all their life.

The people wanting kendo in the Olympics are only interested in the sport and the money associated with it. It is primarily (some) of the Koreans, who have been working on an automatic scoring system, not unlike fencing, but there's a large faction of Europeans who are also keen.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

BirdOfPlay posted:

There are no priority rules, but attacks have to be done correctly? I fail to see the difference.

? There's no right of way. Who ever lands first (with sufficient quality) gets the point. There's also no such thing as simultaneous hits. Actually, that's not quite true, but 'officially' you have to make a decision...and they usually get it right.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Crazy Achmed posted:

I think it's a little harsh to say that the Koreans and Europeans are only after money, though, surely there's also a strong element of wanting glory and to bring kendo to a wider audience?

Right, it's a little unfair. Certain European factions want it in the Olympics, so that they can get Olympic funding from their respective governments and thus spread it further, etc.
Certain Korean factions are definitely in it for making professional leagues, etc.
The majority of the kendo population, however, is against it. Just look at both Judo and Taekwon-do and how diluted they've become since becoming Olympic sports.
The sporting aspect of kendo is only a small part of it, so the fear is that by becoming popular (and the compromises that would entail), it would destroy the other parts.
This article just popped up on my feed and touches some of the issues nicely:
http://www.wattention.com/opinion-kendo-and-the-2020-tokyo-olympics/

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Crazy Achmed posted:

Good article. The optimist in me would like to believe that you could bring kendo into Olympic competition and still keep the spirit, rules and conventions the same - I disagree with the article in that I think that (the sport aspect of) kendo is quite similar to fencing. For example there are similar etiquette rules that can get you carded for seemingly arbitrary gaffes like using your gloved hand to shake hands with your opponent, or saluting after instead of before you put your mask on. And the concept of not being able to score unless you strike with spirit and control is an analagous concept to fencing priority - fencing was in the olympics for decades with no electronics, relying on the judgement of multiple experienced refs just like kendo.

But sadly, I understand what you're saying: the reality would end up being that the money and glory would likely be too much of a temptation to push every edge case in order to score, and lead to a clusterfuck of bitter feuds over whether a judge made the correct call or not. I mean, look at the Shin vs Heidemann match from the last olympics where even electronic scoring and video replays couldn't prevent this kind of bullshit from happening. And let's not even get into doping :(
I'm not familiar enough with Judo or Taekwon-do - beyond that rear end in a top hat kicking the ref in the faceback in 2008 - but I'm guessing the situation is something similar to what I described?

The main problem with kendo is that scoring is incomprehensible to the outsider and even with an experienced commentator, you would end up using a bunch of kendo-specific terms to describe why one point scored and the other didn't. This means that they would have to simplify the scoring, probably make it electronic and they would remove the referees. (Who, to be honest, aren't good enough at world level any way, but that's a different story).

In Judo, people started to become very good at *not losing*, so rather than having only full points, they introduced half/quarter points. The etiquette went out of the window too and even went so far that one American sued because bowing was against his religion.
Taekwon-do turned into a game of tag. They then introduced electronic scoring, which required X-amount of force for it to score, but the system doesn't work very well. I haven't watched any of the TKD from this year yet, so not sure if it has improved.

In general, the basics of the martial arts suffered. People sacrificed the fundamental principles of their MAs in order to win. The MA's themselves sacrificed their principles for the spectacle and as a result, it became ugly and meaningless.
In that sense, fencing is in a much better place. It has had much longer time to sort it self out and apart from sabre, I don't think it has really changed much over the last 30 years.
I personally think sabre fencing isn't really working, with only superficial contact with the lame being enough to score. They should probably put a button on the tip and deactive the top 2 inches of the cutting edge (or something similar), forcing them to make substantial contact rather than how it is now...anyways, I digress and I need to get work done.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

KyloWinter posted:

My biggest problem with sport fencing, though, is that the goal of the fencer should be to protect oneself first and strike your opponent second. Priority rules were instituted to promote this but then it's up to the judges to determine what constitutes the beginning of an attack. What Matt Easton proposes is the addition of an afterblow rule to epee to promote protecting yourself before AND after the exchange because to the untrained eye, i.e. to the spectator, it just looks like two people colliding with no clear winner. Even the wikipedia page on fencing uses as the representative image for sport fencing. It all depends on what the FIE wants to promote though. Remember this is an outsider's perspective looking in.

Perfect!. Couldn't have illustrated the posts above better :D

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Ravenfood posted:

Sixth, if we're going for "realism" as if its, for some reason better, why even put a time or score limit? gently caress it, first person to get a touch wins. If there's an afterblow, the competitors are both eliminated from the tournament. Finally, why did we even decide that the point is to emulate the very rare duels to the death?

Most samurai sword-to-sword battles supposedly ended up with both dying.
The 'no-doubles' goal is a lofty one, but it extremely hard to avoid.
Finally HEMA isn't any more real than 'sports' fencing or kendo. It still follows an artificial rule set that determines the winner and loser.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

For tournament practice, we often play scenarios, with 1 side being a point down (matches are best of 3).
We then also often add an anaerobic sequence before hand for the 'defender', so that they have to not only defend, but also have to try to regain control of themselves.
It's a good way of simulating match pressure.
Another 1 is playing 'piggy-in-the-middle' (to 1 point), but with no blocking allowed, unless it's combined with a counter attack. If you block and don't immediately counter attack, you lose.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Test cutting is as artificial as matches. People will learn to develop skills specifically for that purpose, using body mechanics that would not be applicable in match/duel/whatever.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

EricD posted:

Every form of training is to a degree artificial. That does not mean they are not useful. It takes thought and self-discipline though. I mean yeah if you're winding up a big blow and you hop-skip into it and swing your sword like a baseball bat to make the cut, you might make the cut but you aren't teaching yourself good habits by cutting in that fashion. A good instructor should provide correction. If you are cutting from a guard into another guard, cutting in a way that would keep your sword between your body and your opponent's sword, keeping your movements tight and controlled, and maintaining proper balance and posture throughout your movements, while still delivering an effective cut, then you are test cutting in a way which is training better habits for an actual sword-fight. Cutting is a skill which must be practiced. How exactly do you propose we develop said skill if not by test cutting?

I mean medieval peoples themselves used artificial competitions and games to prepare for war. All their martial games, the hastiludes and tournaments and melees, they were all intended to train and prepare young men-at-arms for real battle. Late sources talk about "school fencing" as opposed to "fencing in earnest". Clearly they saw some value in artificial competitions and other forms of practice.

Cutting tests can serve as a good indicator of technique for sure, but it's also easy to train for test cutting...and if you make a competition out of it, people will do just that and it becomes a thing of it's own, rather than a byproduct of correct training.

Correct cutting technique comes from supervised basic practice. I don't know if HEMA armor is strong enough that you can practice on a partner, but if not, then practicing without will suffice.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Is there a reason for the badly underexposed cross-processed look?
His cutting looks good, though. Far better than any of the other HEMA cutting I've seen.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Just had to post this here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFy-yzCkDiI

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Siivola posted:

Doubleposting because the Swordfish livestream is now up. Currently showing exhibitions for various styles of fencing.

Edit: This poor kid is named Gandalf.

What level is this considered being? World level?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

NHK English special on this years All Japan Kendo championship.
https://www.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/vod/sportsjapansp/20161120/#play

Commentators aren't great, but it's probably as good as it gets.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Speaking of warnings,...In kendo there's a string running on top of the shinai (sword), holding the leather pieces together and indicating the opposite site if the 'cutting' side.
Now, this can occasionally become slightly twisted and in general practice, you just grab it and twist it back. In a match, however, you need to signal for stopping and ask permission to do so and you are not allowed to signal for a stoppage without an adequate reason.
This means that a it's not uncommon for people to ask for a stoppage, primarily for psychological reasons and ask to adjust their shinai. It gives them a sense of control, a small period of time to re-focus, etc, whereas the opponent is often annoyed by the stoppage.
Most of the time, there is absolutely nothing wrong with their shinai, but no one seems to enforce this.. Except one match, I had enough of it.
I had watched one guy do it every match after he scored a point and in his next match I was head referee. He scored a point (Matches are best of 3 points, format is a straight knock-out, so points are rare and important!) and right on cue, when I restarted the match, he stuck his hand up.
I stopped the match, asked him what was wrong and he pointed at his shinai. I looked at it and it was perfectly straight. I told him that I saw nothing wrong with it and please don't stop the match without a valid reason. The evil glare I got was worth the whole event. His little petty mental control game had been busted and he knew it.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Verisimilidude posted:

Selling your strikes is super important, and something you unfortunately don't see a lot of in HEMA. It's a major concept in JSA, which is where I'm learning it from, and a basic exercise for this is to literally have people practice making themselves look more aggressive either 1v1 or in front of a mirror. It seems silly at first, but you'll get the hang of it. At higher levels you'll learn how to make yourself seem weak or passive in order to generate a more aggressive response rather than a defensive one.

It's not about looking aggressive, but looking ready. Ready to strike at any moment. Putting on an angry face isn't enough. It's about moving with confidence and purpose.
The single best thing you can do is to step directly towards your opponent. Not sideways and never backwards. What that does, is that it shows that you are not afraid of him* nor his guard. Stepping sideways shows that you cannot break his guard and want to go around it. Stepping back shows that you are afraid of him.
This is a bit simplistic, but it's principles I fall back on when I'm slumping/trying new stuff; I'll experiment with stepping into the opponent and find what distance he 'triggers' at and will attack. What you then want is to play around with that distance.
Move in just before that and observe; There, they will often have doubt about your intentions and that doubt can cause mistake, giving you an opportunity to strike.
Or even just knowing what distance they will attack at, gives you a great opportunity to make a counter-attack, if you think your skill is sufficient.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Uziel posted:

I am also getting up too much on my toes rather than spreading out my weight when trying to advance/retreat.

'Spreading out your weight'?. They don't want you on your heels, I hope?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Siivola posted:

Oh right, I forgot to share these with y'all: My pool fights from Helsinki Bolognese Open. I'm the guy in the white jacket. I get dunked. :ssh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yDF1P85e2s

Also my one sword and buckler fight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8HQyL6oKcM&t=390s

I'm not a fan of HEMA judging, as it's usually horrendously inconsistent, but at least the judges mostly agreed on this one. I still don't get why they look down at the ground when signalling the score?

I also don't know if you were fishing for feedback, if not, here's a unsolicited comment :):
Watch your rear foot. You often end up with the rear foot trailing, leaving all the weight on the front and you are not able to move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Fun times. Out for 3 months and only just able to complete a fairly easy practice.