Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doseku
Nov 9, 2009

:siren:Latest Episode: Deadpool: Finale - Cloneageddon:siren:

What is this?
Glad you asked as of yet non-existant viewer. This is DeadPool the Video game. It was developed by High Moon Studios and published by Activision.
The game itself is no longer available through digital distribution since Activision's Marvel license expired in early 2014 so it and other marvel games have completely disappeared from places like Steam, PSN and XBox Games Store.

So this is a game about one of the villains from that Wolverine movie. You know the one that had his mouth sown shut?
No. This is about the better one. The one that doesn't stop talking and makes all kinds of remarks which is why he's referred to as the "Merc with a mouth".

Since this is a Comic book related game. I'm Assuming you know everything there is to know about this character
I'm afraid not my friend. The most I know about DeadPool comes from what the mainstream knows about him. Which is that he is the only comic book character that I know of at the moment that actually knows he's in a comic and treats it like such. That and he's crazy. But we'll let the game show that off. With that said my co-commentators will be filling us in on whatever comic book characters show up in game just not in the first video.

Alright I'm game. Question though. Are you going to go for all the achievements?
Unfortunately the answer to that is going to be a no. I'm nowhere near a good enough player to get every achievement. That and I've already got most of the achievements while streaming my original playthrough of this.

Well can I at least spoil the crap out of this game?
No. well at least not the cutscenes or any of the games zanier moments. Those I want to spring upon you guys by surprise. However as long as the spoiler is inconsequential then place it in spoiler tags to be safe.

Business Trip is over so let's continue.

For those interested in the old thread which spoke a bit about the origin of Deadpool among a few other things about his universe.
Old Thread (May require archive access)

:siren: Episode 01 May not be safe for work :siren:

Deadpool: Episode 01 - Apartment and Tutorial Sewer
Deadpool: Episode 01 Bonus - Apartment Things
Deadpool: Episode 02 - GWN(with Krabbapples and Churchcrusade)
Deadpool: Episode 03 - Sewers - Part 1(With Krabbapples)
Deadpool: Episode 04 - Sewers - Part 2(With Krabbapples)
Deadpool: Episode 05 - Enter Genosha(With Krabbapples, MazoPanku, and Ohsh)
Deadpool: Episode 06 - The Tower of Power(With MazoPanku and Krabbapples)
Deadpool: Episode 07 - Picking up the pieces(with MazoPanku)
Deadpool: Episode 08 - Deadpool Goes to Jail
Deadpool Episode 09: The Party
Deadpool: Episode 10 - Prison Sewer
Deadpool: Episode 11: Blockbusted
Deadpool: Episode 12 - Death's Approach
Deadpool: Episode 13 - Hear No Evil
Deadpool: Episode 14 - See No Evil
Deadpool: Episode 15 - Speak No Evil
Deadpool: Episode 16 - Chasing the X
Deadpool: Episode 17 - Citadel Approach
Deadpool: Finale - Cloneageddon

Doseku fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Mar 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
I'm curious as to why you started a new thread rather than unlocking the old one. It can't have fallen into the archives already?

There was some cool comics discussions in there.

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
basically that's what happened. By the time I got back from the business trip the thread was already locked out and I couldn't re-open it.

I'll add the link to the old thread in the OP.

Doseku fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jan 9, 2015

thetrueoskar
Jan 22, 2011
I have to be honest, I watched the videos in the first thread, and I don't really see what the problem is. I can't get it for myself anymore apparently, to see if playing it is any different than watching, but from the way it LOOKS, it seems just like every other grindy hack&slash game. Diablo, Chaos Legion, pretty much any MMORPG ever, even Baldur's Gate, in a way. Hammer attack button, kill dudes, level up, hope for a better equipment drop, kill more dudes, level up, ad nauseum.

Though it might also have to do with all the random "jokes" and non-existent fourth wall, but I have a high tolerance for that kind of thing, and I think if you go into the game expecting it to be incredibly corny and groan-inducing, it's a lot easier to swallow.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

thetrueoskar posted:

even Baldur's Gate, in a way. Hammer attack button, kill dudes, level up, hope for a better equipment drop, kill more dudes, level up, ad nauseum.
I'm going to go on a limb there and guess you never played Baldur's Gate because I don't see a single shared point. Apart from having things that want to kill you, I guess.
For me, the main problem was that it just isn't fun to play. The combat is really shallow, you can't pull off any complex moves, and the story and aesthetic just isn't enough to save that.
edit: Anyway, I'm glad you're rocking the bear traps.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Jan 9, 2015

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"
It's also not doing the game any favours when you gave up on slapping Wolverine about 25% of the way in.

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009

thetrueoskar posted:

I have to be honest, I watched the videos in the first thread, and I don't really see what the problem is. I can't get it for myself anymore apparently, to see if playing it is any different than watching, but from the way it LOOKS, it seems just like every other grindy hack&slash game. Diablo, Chaos Legion, pretty much any MMORPG ever, even Baldur's Gate, in a way. Hammer attack button, kill dudes, level up, hope for a better equipment drop, kill more dudes, level up, ad nauseum.

Though it might also have to do with all the random "jokes" and non-existent fourth wall, but I have a high tolerance for that kind of thing, and I think if you go into the game expecting it to be incredibly corny and groan-inducing, it's a lot easier to swallow.

I'm going to agree with you somewhat here. When I originally played this game a while back I did enjoy it and I still do to a degree. I guess for me the game only started to wear thin much later in than where we are now.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

insanityv2 posted:

There was some cool comics discussions in there.

it is inevitable. there will be more comics talk.

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
Sorry for the long delay.
Today we meet Deadpool's number one Fan-Girl. Will it be everything he hoped and more? Let's find out.
:siren:Deadpool: Episode 06 - The Tower of Power(With MazoPanku and Krabbapples):siren:

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

anilEhilated posted:

I'm going to go on a limb there and guess you never played Baldur's Gate because I don't see a single shared point. Apart from having things that want to kill you, I guess.
For me, the main problem was that it just isn't fun to play. The combat is really shallow, you can't pull off any complex moves, and the story and aesthetic just isn't enough to save that.
edit: Anyway, I'm glad you're rocking the bear traps.

He was maybe talking about Dark Alliance, the BG ARPG?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

quote:

"Well, he's kinda stupid [...] let's just call him boring."
"Let's call him Gay-storm [...] he also is kinda retarded."

holy poo poo!!!!! top tier commentary, guyz!!!!! original AND clever! !!!!

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
Well at least it won't repeat like most of the games battle dialog. haha.
but I get it and will try to tone that back if possible.

Doseku fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jan 24, 2015

thetrueoskar
Jan 22, 2011

nendymion posted:

I'm going to agree with you somewhat here. When I originally played this game a while back I did enjoy it and I still do to a degree. I guess for me the game only started to wear thin much later in than where we are now.

Actually, when I posted that, I hadn't watched episode 5 yet. Now that I HAVE, those insta-death invisible walls that you could just walk into with no warning were inexcusable, and I take back everything I said. This coming from someone who somehow managed to enjoy Enter The Matrix enough to finish it several times... as each character.

Victis posted:

He was maybe talking about Dark Alliance, the BG ARPG?

Yeah, sorry, I was. I should have specified that, the actual BG's were awesome when they came out. DA was just a terrible cash-in on the name, or at least the GBA one was. It scared me off enough that I didn't even consider trying the Gamecube one. I can't even put my finger on what was so bad about it exactly, I think it was just a melting pot of bad, badder, and worse, with a boring parsley garnish on the side for variety.

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
In today's episode Deadpool collects parts for his new ride.
:siren: Deadpool: Episode 07 - Picking up the pieces(with MazoPanku):siren:

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
In this episode our good friend Deadpool has found himself in jail for stealing a sentinal boot. Will he be able to survive and escape?
:siren:Deadpool: Episode 08 - Deadpool Goes to Jail:siren:

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
Deadpool crashes a party. Will it go well?
:siren:Deadpool Episode 09: The Party:siren:

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
With the party over our stalwart hero continues on his quest to save Rogue from Blockbuster.
Deadpool: Episode 10 - Prison Sewer

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
I was about to ask why you posted all of these videos in such quick succession, then I realised that you actually posted them days apart and somehow nobody posted. Jeez man, thats harsh.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
The sad truth is, there isn't much to talk about with this game. Would assume some comics discussion though.

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
It happens. This is a kind of mediocre game and outside of its cutscenes doesn't really give much to say. However we will be saving Rogue next video if I remember correctly. The game does mention that at this point in the comics at least that she no longer has the power of flight. So that could be a starting point since I'm pretty sure someone would be more able to elaborate on why that is than I could.

Also if you guys want to see different weapons used feel free to let me know. At this point I have the loadout I want to use but If you guys want I'm more than willing to show off the sais and the shotgun is available for purchase. Otherwise I'm might just be sticking with the mallet and machine gun combo due to the fact that they make alot of the fights go alot quicker.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I'd mostly like to see the rest of the throwables, honestly. It'd be nice if you managed to give each of the weapons a decent showing but I don't whether that's possible in one playthrough given the currency system.

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
It's time to rescue Rogue from Blockbuster.

So now it's time to talk a bit about Blockbuster(The character not the store)

Blockbuster is a member of the Marauders, a team of superhuman assassins brought together by the mutant thief Gambit when he was in the employ of the enigmatic Mister Sinister.

He was created by Louise Jones Simonson and Walter Simonson in 1986 and first appeared in X-Factor # 10.

Powers:
Possessed various superhuman physical attributes as a result of natural mutation and, possibly, from augmentation from Mr. Sinister. Blockbuster possessed great superhuman strength, the exact limits of which were never defined. However, Blockbuster was sufficiently strong enough to lift at least 70 tons. Blockbuster's advanced musculature generated considerably less fatigue toxins during physical activity than the musculature of ordinary humans. He could physically exert himself at peak capacity for about 24 hours before the build up of fatigue toxins in his blood began to impair him. Blockbuster's bodily tissues were much harder and more resistant to physical injury than those of a normal human. He could withstand great impact forces, powerful energy blasts, exposure to extremes of temperature and pressure, and falls from great heights without being injured.

Story Arcs:
Mutant Massacre-
Blockbuster first appeared in comics when, on Sinister's orders, the Marauders massacre the underground community of mutants known as the Morlocks. In the course of the massacre, the Marauders, including Blockbuster, clash with various superhuman champions, including the mutant adventurers known as the X-Men. The Norse god Thor is summoned to the Morlock Tunnels by his ally, the frog Puddleglup, happens upon Blockbuster following his torture of the mutant Archangel. Thor kills Blockbuster to avenge the innocent Morlocks he has slain. Thor then burns his remains, along with those of the slaughtered Morlocks.

Sinister however uses his technology to clone the Marauders. Blockbuster and other previously-slain Marauders return during the demonic invasion of Manhattan referred to as the Inferno. Blockbuster is among the Marauders set by Sinister to defend his orphanage/laboratory headquarters. Blockbuster is slain by the mutant Havok, who had, along with most of the X-Men, been tainted by the demonic invasion, becoming more bestial and aggressive.

Though the X-Men discovered and deactivated many of Sinister's Clone Vaults after the events of the crossover saga X-Cutioner's Song, Blockbuster returned with the other original Marauders, when they attacked the X-Mansion.

Messiah Complex
Blockbuster's body is seen later being "eaten" by Predator X after he and the rest of the Marauders arrive at an Alaskan town. The Marauder's goal had been to find a mutant baby, a current rarity; they had also encountered the Purifiers, another group searching for the child. It is unknown if Sinister's cloning samples survived after M-Day, and whether he will be cloned again

Astonishing X-Men
More recently, Blockbuster was seen, again cloned, when fighting some of the X-Men. He was quickly dealed with and killed once more.

Of course in the game he doesn't seem too incredibly tough since most of his moves revolve around him throwing stuff at us and then eventually charging which is the point where you have to take action to be able to beat him. Nothing will hurt him unless you stun him by interrupting his charge.

Doseku fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Feb 15, 2015

Yvershek
Nov 15, 2000

and there are no
diamonds in the
mine
Well that video ended with quite a development...

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
We saved Rogue. However there were....Complicatons

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
Today we take on the first of the three challenges given to us by death.

So we know that Gambit and Blockbuster and Vertigo were/are part of a group called the Marauders, let's find out what that group was.

Origins
What began as an attempt to seek assistance within his research, Mister Sinister would first recruit John Greycrow after learning of his violent military history of scalping his fellow soldiers and surviving an execution because of his mutant nature. Mister Sinister would also force another mutant known as Gambit into his services after helping him control his powers by removing certain brain tissue. With two assistants under his command, Mister Sinister would have use of them when learning of research being co-opted by the Earth-295 version of Beast, also known as Dark Beast. Learning that his experiments resulted with the creation of several mutants who later took up refuge as Morlocks, Mister Sinister decided to have this corrupted version of his work annihilated and instructed Gambit to assemble a team of mutant who would secretly act out as assassins. Recruited various mutants who share an interest for bloodshed and murder, Gambit would take the first steps of assembling and leading the greatest mistake that would secretly hound for the rest of his life.

Team Evolution
One of the largest and more infamous antagonist Marvel mutant teams the Marauders consists of a diverse selection of mutants, the original team made up of Scalphunter, Arclight, Blockbuster, Vertigo, Riptide, Scrambler, Harpoon, Malice, Prism and Sabretooth. Many more incarnations of the team would follow, all would be especially dangerous and intimidating.

Story Arc: Mutant Massacre
After learning about the mutant group known as the Morlocks, Mister Sinister recognized genetic designs of his own work and how he wasn’t the one who was responsible for their creation. Not realizing that Dark Beast from Earth-295 who used the genetic designs of that reality Mister Sinister possibly created the Morlocks, the Mister Sinister of Earth-616 felt that this was something that was both a flawed idea of his works and something that needed to be eradicated. After the unaware assembled Mister Sinister's Marauders, the groups of assassins were sent to locate the Morlocks and leave none alive. With Gambit unaware of Sinister's mission of the team, he would realize how his last mission for Mister Sinister was the greatest mistake he made when he began witnessing the Marauders murdering any defenseless Morlock that they encountered. Attempting to halt the killing spree, Gambit would find himself brutally beaten by Sabretooth before the Marauders continued their massacre throughout the sewers.

Marauders would instantly gain the attention of both mutant hero teams, the X-Men and X-Factor who arrived on the scene to make their attempt on halting the Marauders' killing spree. With a majority of the Morlock population murdered and forced into hiding, both X-teams didn’t fare better when they became victims themselves. With Angel captured, beaten, and pinned to the wall by Harpoon and Blockbuster, this would later force Angel to amputate his wings because of how much damage they received. Other members of the X-Men teams nearly killed and badly beaten. When Thor entered the scene and managed to save Angel, Blockbuster would be killed by the god of thunder after receiving a single powerful blow. Prism would also meet his fate when Jean Grey mentally slammed him against a wall and shattered his body into pieces. With the scene getting worse by the moment, Riptide would be the last Marauder who would meet his fate when the furious Colossus snapped his neck in a desperate way to end Riptide from killing and seriously harming anybody else.

After Thor managed to halt the massacre, all the remaining Marauders were forced into fleeing the scene except for Sabretooth who took a special interest in the X-Man Wolverine and followed him to the X-Mansion where he attacked the X-Man. As both mutants fought each other to a stand still, Sabretooth would finally face defeat by both Wolverine and Psylocke who also managed to read Sabretooth's mind and gain some information about the Marauders before the crazed mutant fell into the nearby ocean.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Okay, the stalker subtitler gag was pretty good.

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
If anything can be said about this game is that it's cutscenes are one of it's best parts and there are some good moments in this thing such as the barrel launcher.

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
Can our hero overcome Deadpoolio challenges let's find out as we take on the trial of....

As as side note. I noticed that there are some parts where I talk to low to be heard properly. I'll be fixing that in future updates. For right now though the video is closed captioned so you can at least read what was said if it's too low to hear.

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
With Deadpoolio beaten we come to the strangest challenge yet. Speak no evil.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
The hammers feel really weak, don't they? From watching I honestly can't tell if there's any meaningful difference between them and the swords.

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
It's a race against time as Deadpool must get to Mr. Sinister before the X-men do.

As far as weapons go. The mallet is stronger than the sword. The sword itself is kinda the middle weapon in terms of damage and speed. The Sai are quick but don't do much. I thought the sai did more damage on my first run of the game later on I found that they were the weakest weapon.

So since we are back above ground it's time to talk about the island that we have been running around.

For most of Genosha's time, it was an island off the African coast. Its capital was Hammer Bay. At a glance, it seemed to be a good, prosperous nation. The standard of living was high and the citizens were well-treated. The economy was excellent and growing all the time. Political or racial turmoil was non-existent. Good things seemed to be happening in little Genosha. But all these things only applied for the humans of this small, inconspicuous, seemingly unimportant island nation.

In Genosha, the mutant population was enslaved. David Moreau, a scientist was known as the Genengineer. Anyone with the mutant gene was forced through a horrific treatment developed by the Genengineer. They were genetically modified and enhanced for their powers, and stripped of free will. They were treated like animals and given numbers, identified by those numbers. Their powers were changed to fit the needs of the economy. Then they were shipped off and worked as slaves until they died. No one was allowed in or out of Genosha. If you are a citizen, you will stay a citizen until you die. If you are not a citizen, then you're not getting in Genosha. The Magistrates were a special police force that tracked down people who tried to escape and brought them back forcibly, and the Press Gang handled mutant problems. All in all, it was a horrible place.

The island of Genosha was often an enemy of the X-Men and other teams in the Xavier Institute (including X-Force, X-Factor, and Generation X). Since mutants are horribly treated there, they often go to rescue the poor people, and Magistrates often attack them to bring them into Genosha, Wolverine, Rogue, and Madelyne Pryor were kidnapped by Magistrates under the orders of the Genengineer and Cameron Hodge. Hodge used to be an ally of X-Factor, but he became a mutant hater. They were rescued, though. Later, Wolfsbane and Storm were kidnapped and going to brainwashed to be Genoshan "citizens". The X-Men freed their compatriots and toppled the Hodge and the Gengineer's regime. The new government promised kindness and humane treating of mutants, but spurred on by the Fabian Cortez, Civil War broke out between the Mutates and Magistrate forces.

Magneto's regime and the fall of Genosha
After Cassasndra Nova's Attack
Playing on his reputation, Magneto made his last blackmail attempt on the world threatening to destroy planetary EM field if he was not granted territory to create a mutant homeland. Despite the efforts of the X-Men to stop him, including the ultimate sacrifice of Magneto's clone Joseph, the U.N. granted Magneto Genosha. The island nation had been torn apart by civil war between the Magistrate regime and the Mutate rebellion for months (perhaps years) and the U.N. hoped Magneto would be so bogged down in fighting this war, the Legacy Virus sweeping through the population, and Genosha's failed economy that he would never trouble the world again.

They were wrong. Within six months, Magneto had led the mutants and mutates to victory, and the Legacy Virus was cured. Magneto quickly rebuilt Genosha into a prosperous mutant paradise. Overconfident, Magneto declared war on humanity again. The X-Men snuck into Genosha to intervene and in the course of battle, Magneto's spine was severed by Wolverine. As Magneto's powers are dependent on his nervous system being intact, this not only left him paralyzed but unable to use his powers. This event would end up costing millions of lives.

In revenge for Xavier's mistreatment of her, Cassandra Nova found the last living relative of Bolivar Trask, who had created the Sentinels. She then convinced him to give her control over the Sentinels. She sent them them to Genosha where they began wiping out the population. Depowered, Magneto was unable to stop them. The entire island was reduced to a pile of rubble, and all the progress was lost. 16 million people were killed, leaving perhaps a couple hundred survivors. Nova was eventually defeated by the X-Men back in New York, but the damage was done.

Magneto and Professor X joined forces to reform Genosha, but their work was interrupted by the Scarlet Witch's nervous breakdown and the events of House of M. In the world of House of M, Geonsha was Magneto's seat of powers, and therefore the most prosperous nation in the world. However, when Wanda revered the world to normal, not only was Genosha restored to it's decimated state, but her entire mutant population, including its leader, was turned into normal humans. SHIELD eventually removed the last of the Genosha population for medical treatment, but Magneto remained. When they attempted to remove an unconscious Magneto from Genosha after his and the Avenger's encounter with the Collective, Magneto escaped.

Whether Magneto retains legal possession of Genosha is unknown.

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
And so we come up on the semi-final episode. The approach on Magneto's Citadel

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
And so, we reach the end of our Genoshian vacation.

All in all this was a somewhat fun experience definitely didn't go as bad as I was initially expecting it to. However I am curious as to what your inputs are. Things such as what you liked, didn't like, Areas of improvement and so forth.

Thanks for watching and participating. I hope you'll join me for my next project Ninja Turtles: Out of The Shadows. Although I don't have a timeline as of yet on when that will start.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
I think the biggest mistake you made was letting the old thread die and then starting a new one later. It made it very hard for people to get back on the wagon, which means way less posts. Other than a few goofy moments, I think this was fine.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, looked competently done so I'm kinda surprised there wasn't more traffic. Apart from the one episode with the co-commentator cracking gay and retarded jokes the commentary was fine too. I guess it's just the game being bland and repetitive.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
While you did go a good jorb with the game, holy poo poo can they stop just throwing a constant stream of meat sponges at you? Why did they feel like this was a good thing?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
It's a licensed game. A lot of devs seem to think those sell no matter the quality.
They're... not wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

anilEhilated posted:

It's a licensed game. A lot of devs seem to think those sell no matter the quality.
They're... not wrong.

It's just frustrating I hear constantly that Deadpool is this badass with such great humor and all that and barely any of that showed off. EVER

• Locked thread