Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Just kidding. Compiling things is loving gay. Linux sucks. Let me just read the manual for 5 hours in order to do something. I want to spend 12 hours a day on my craft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

here, i compiled this thread:

Peanut and the Gang
Aug 24, 2009

by exmarx
Running ./configure makes a ton of commands fly up the screen, which gives a feeling of progress, which makes you feel good. Try it out. You'll like it.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Breakfast All Day posted:

here, i compiled this thread:

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I'm going to read a man page for 10 hours now because that's what Linux programmers do............

Giant Borat Face: NOT!
Me: I'm not going to do the thing I originally said. Instead I will use a GUI in Windows 8 64bit edition.

Peanut and the Gang
Aug 24, 2009

by exmarx
If you don't want to read the man, you can just google for the yum command and paste it into Ubuntu.

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Peanut and the Gang posted:

If you don't want to read the man, you can just google for the yum command and paste it into Ubuntu.

Actually, No, I'm going to use a Windows machine like everyone that wants stuff to Just Work the first time without having to do anything. My program installers are so easy to use, but it makes Linux people really mad when they have to use them for some reason. "Ew a loving windows installer! I hate Microsoft! I would rather stare at a manual and read the manual for a really long time." - Things Linux People Say Everyday

Peanut and the Gang
Aug 24, 2009

by exmarx
They should make a super OS that has the ease of Windows and the... hmmm... the power? of Linux. That's a combo I'd like to try out.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

They should make a super OS that has the ease of Windows and the... hmmm... the power? of Linux. That's a combo I'd like to try out.

how funny. how hilarious. how highly highly humorous

Peanut and the Gang
Aug 24, 2009

by exmarx

pram posted:

how funny. how hilarious. how highly highly humorous

Thanks. :)

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
I disagree w/ the op, compiling things is actually cool - it makes a good program just tha much better

Peanut and the Gang
Aug 24, 2009

by exmarx

rotor posted:

I disagree w/ the op, compiling things is actually cool - it makes a good program just tha much better

You get to see the program being built - like a child in a belly. Except it's faster and a lot easier to abort.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

You get to see the program being built - like a child in a belly. Except it's faster and a lot easier to abort.

ROFL

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
Always Be Compiling

Peanut and the Gang
Aug 24, 2009

by exmarx

The Management posted:

Always Be Compiling

It takes MASS CALLS to make a compile script.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
ima let you compile, but ifrst im going to download 6gb of files so you can run the pdflatex command. linux ftw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
read()s are for closures

• Locked thread