Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iFederico
Apr 19, 2001
http://bigstory.ap.org/article/b2d7a0252dd04676b20697bd39356fcc/7-kids-reunite-parents-lost-nigeria-islamic-uprising

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2015/01/09/boko-haram-may-have-killed-2000-people-in-one-attack/

quote:

YOLA, Nigeria (AP) — Hundreds of bodies — too many to count — remain strewn in the bush in Nigeria from an Islamic extremist attack that Amnesty International suggested Friday is the "deadliest massacre" in the history of Boko Haram.

Mike Omeri, the government spokesman on the insurgency, said fighting continued Friday for Baga, a town on the border with Chad where insurgents seized a key military base on Jan. 3 and attacked again on Wednesday.

"Security forces have responded rapidly, and have deployed significant military assets and conducted airstrikes against militant targets," Omeri said in a statement.

District head Baba Abba Hassan said most victims are children, women and elderly people who could not run fast enough when insurgents drove into Baga, firing rocket-propelled grenades and assault rifles on town residents.

"The human carnage perpetrated by Boko Haram terrorists in Baga was enormous," Muhammad Abba Gava, a spokesman for poorly armed civilians in a defense group that fights Boko Haram, told The Associated Press.

Apparently, kidnapping those girls wasn't enough. Wasn't 2015 meant to be better than 2014?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Boko Haram are badmen

Also their increased activity has wider risks in that it may disrupt the count in the affected provinces in the upcoming Presidential election.

The provinces they are most active in voted for Muhammadu Buhari last time around in 2011 and he's running again this year, the security forces have been accused of bias against Buhari and there are concerns relating to how the count will be conducted. Last time Buhari lost there was rioting and sectarian violence, this election is meant to be closer and if people smell a rat it ain't going to end well.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Holy poo poo

Gorau
Apr 28, 2008
Did I read that right? 2000 dead and a town razed? Holy poo poo. Why has Nigeria not been able to deal with this? Are they really that callous that they're not willing to spend the effort to put a stop to this?

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Gorau posted:

Did I read that right? 2000 dead and a town razed? Holy poo poo.

16 towns razed.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Armyman25 posted:

16 towns razed.
Jfc

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Gorau posted:

Did I read that right? 2000 dead and a town razed? Holy poo poo. Why has Nigeria not been able to deal with this? Are they really that callous that they're not willing to spend the effort to put a stop to this?

I'm going to take a wild guess and say Nigeria possibly doesn't have the organization or resources to do that

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
And Islamic extremism claims a whole bunch more lives...

But let's hear from the apologist brigade about how this totally doesn't have anything to do with religion.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

PT6A posted:

But let's hear from the apologist brigade about how this totally doesn't have anything to do with religion.

hrm yes, "Exterminate The Brutes" is a sound, proven, and moral ideology, tell me more

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

PT6A posted:

Religion is, as usual, a thin veneer of justification painted over what is, as usual, ethnic and economic strife and petty human drama.

Edit: that is to say, in the absence of religion this same poo poo would still be happening all the time all over, with maaaybe a slightly different rationale.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

icantfindaname posted:

I'm going to take a wild guess and say Nigeria possibly doesn't have the organization or resources to do that

Well until the collapse they had plenty of oil money, but guess they had better things to spend it on.

Also holy gently caress

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

stinkles1112 posted:

Religion is, as usual, a thin veneer of justification painted over what is, as usual, ethnic and economic strife and petty human drama.

Give this man a dollar

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

I gotta say though, the 24 hour news cycle has been getting some top quality feedstock these last few weeks

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Two things can't occupy the top spot though. Anyone want to take bets on which one has more staying power?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
No one cares about dead africans so I'd say that the top spot will be spent on fear mongering and wishful thinking by the news media on whether a terrorist attack will occur here.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

quote:

At the sight of the incoming insurgents, the soldiers put up a scant fight before abandoning their base and leaving residents defenseless.

quote:

A video recently emerged, Genocide Watch reported, that shows gunmen shooting civilians as they lay face down in a dormitory. A local leader explains they are “infidels,” even though he admits they’re Muslim: “We have made sure the floor of this hall is turned red with blood, and this is how it is going to be in all future attacks and arrests of infidels. From now on, killing, slaughtering, destruction and bombings will be our religious duty anywhere we invade.”

quote:

And now, with Boko Haram’s campaign to control northeast Nigeria complete, analysts said its territorial ambitions have outgrown Nigeria’s porous borders.

Cameroon dispatched troops to its northern border to meet the assault, but its military has been taxed by ceaseless Boko Haram attacks, reported Stratfor Global Intelligence.

Boko Haram seized one town and simultaneously attacked five more.

These guys are just getting worse and worse :psyduck:

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

ReidRansom posted:

Well until the collapse they had plenty of oil money, but guess they had better things to spend it on.

Namely, themselves. Nigeria should be richer than the rest of Africa because of its oil money, but its standard of living is pretty close to the rest IIRC.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Pimpmust posted:

These guys are just getting worse and worse :psyduck:

They kidnapped the wife of the vice-president of Cameroon last year.

That was crazy

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

quote:

A video recently emerged, Genocide Watch reported, that shows gunmen shooting civilians as they lay face down in a dormitory. A local leader explains they are “infidels,” even though he admits they’re Muslim: “We have made sure the floor of this hall is turned red with blood, and this is how it is going to be in all future attacks and arrests of infidels. From now on, killing, slaughtering, destruction and bombings will be our religious duty anywhere we invade.”

Can we be sure this isn't just a huge misunderstanding? Can somebody check to make sure Boko Haram's Korans don't all say 'Warhammer 40,000' on the front?

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

quote:

Goddamn they're not even making a weak attempt at religious piety anymore. This is nothing but psychopathic spree killing of "infidels" defined as whoever the gently caress is in front of them at any given moment.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
They're just using Islam as an excuse to act on their psychotic mentalities :ssh:
If they weren't Islamic they would still act like savages. Boko Haram & IS are full of disenfranchised (often young) people without a positive identity looking to act like thugs.
They claim to act in the name of Islam but it's just a front. These guys are hosed in the head. It doesn't really matter to them.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

MAIM KILL BURN! MAIM KILL BURN! MAIM KILL BURN!

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Boko Haram [is] full of disenfranchised (often young) people without a positive identity looking to act like thugs.
They claim to act in the name of Islam but it's just a front. These guys are hosed in the head. It doesn't really matter to them.

Pretty much. Boko Haram was pretty non-violent for like a decade, then they blew up into a big "gently caress the police, gently caress the richer south, gently caress the West, gently caress everything" group. They have no real ideology or internal consistency to speak of. They are just there for the violence. Not a lot to do there but kill them and hopefully raise the standard of living somewhat to keep people joining up with them.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Schizotek posted:

MAIM KILL BURN! MAIM KILL BURN! MAIM KILL BURN!

It's actually unironically KILL KILL KILL KILL KILL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ipwr3Myz-Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rn6lkvQMt4c

Mandy Thompson
Dec 26, 2014

by zen death robot

PT6A posted:

Boko Haram are scum

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

ZenVulgarity posted:

Give this man a dollar

For posting overly simplistic bullshit? I guess that is what is preferred around here though.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

StandardVC10 posted:

Namely, themselves. Nigeria should be richer than the rest of Africa because of its oil money, but its standard of living is pretty close to the rest IIRC.

Crazy morons in government who believe vaccines are witch-treatments from the Americans to give people AIDS will do that to you.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

tsa posted:

For posting overly simplistic bullshit? I guess that is what is preferred around here though.

:ironicat: (considering what that post was responding to)

Reality is getting way too strange. It feels weird to be able to sit back and see videos like this and read stories about what's going on in the world while knowing that there isn't enough interest to find a workable solution to the causes of groups like Boko/ISIS/AQ/etc being able to recruit.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

PT6A posted:

Bad guys are bad guys, regardless of what religion they follow.

bpower
Feb 19, 2011

icantfindaname posted:

hrm yes, "Exterminate The Brutes" is a sound, proven, and moral ideology, tell me more

If "The Brutes" refers to members of BH well then yeah, exterminate them .

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

tsa posted:

you're right, "muslim black men bad, must kill, hulk smash", is much better

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

quote:

The video shows 16 young men and boys seated in a line. One by one, they are called forward and told to lie down in front of the pit. Five of them are killed in this way; the fate of the remaining detainees is not shown on video, but eyewitness accounts confirmed that nine of them had their throats cut while the others were shot to death...

Additional footage featuring some of the same perpetrators, taken earlier that day at the same location, shows two detainees digging a grave under armed guard before the killing is carried out. One is told to lie down in front of the pit, where his legs and head are held... The individual who appears to be the commander of the group puts his right foot on the man’s side, raises his knife, kisses it and shouts “Die hard Commando” and cuts the throat of the restrained young man

Man, Boko H... Oh, wait

Not to excuse Boko Haram or anything but If you think the Nigerian army aren't being brutal enough in dealing with them you must be p. loving crazy

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

There's a similar "christian" terrorist organisation (still?) operating in central Africa that I can't recall the name of, I'm not sure what it's about that area (Colonialism) that creates such total murderous monsters.

Edgar Quintero
Oct 5, 2004

POTENTIALLY DANGEROUS
DO NOT GIVE HEROIN

quote:

Boko Haram fighters are reported to have killed hundreds of people in a renewed assault after capturing a key town and military base in northeast Nigeria at the weekend, local officials have said.

The group's fighters initially captured the town of Baga and the headquarters of the Multinational Joint Task Force (MNJTF), which is made of troops from Nigeria, Niger and Chad, on Saturday.

At least 100 people were killed when the Boko Haram first took over the town on the edge of Lake Chad, the district head Abba Hassan said on Thursday. The fighters then razed several towns and villages in Borno state in the following days.

Musa Bukar, head of the Kukawa local government area, said: "They [Boko Haram] burnt to the ground all the 16 towns and villages, including Baga, Doron-Baga, Mile 4, Mile 3, Kauyen Kuros and Bunduram."

Abubakar Gamandi, head of Borno's fish traders union and a Baga native, also confirmed the attacks, adding that hundreds of people who fled were trapped on islands on Lake Chad.

The armed group has seized more than two dozen towns in northeast Nigeria in the last six months, and now controls all three of Borno's borders with Niger, Chad and Cameroon.

The fighters reportedly used petrol bombs and explosives to destroy Baga, a key fishing and commercial hub, and the surrounding villages on the shores of Lake Chad.

Al Jazeera's Ahmed Idriss, reporting from Kaduna, said: "Effectively, Baga town is under Boko Haram control at the moment."

Idriss said that there were reports that hundreds of people had been killed in the violence and that some of those who fled are believed to have drowned in their attempt to escape to Chad and other neighbouring countries.

Deteriorating situation

Chad's Prime Minister Kalzeubet Pahimi has appealed for international aid for the thousands of Nigerian refugees who have fled the Boko Haram attacks

He said on Thursday that about 2,000 Nigerians and 500 Chadians crossed the border into Chad in recent days, joining around 1,000 Nigerians who arrived some months ago.

The UNHCR said: "Following insurgent attacks on five villages along the frontier between Chad and Nigeria between December 28 and December 30, the humanitarian situation has deteriorated."

The UN refugee agency put the total figure of Nigerian refugees in Chad at more than 5,000.

Gamandi said that a head count would have to be conducted to determine the number of dead and missing but that could pose difficulties as residents fled both towards Maiduguri and also into Chad.

About 560 villagers have been stranded on an island on Lake Chad since Saturday without food, he added.

"They told me that some of them are dying from lack of food, cold and malaria on the mosquito-infested island," he said.

Army concerns

Nigeria's military, West Africa's largest, has come under scrutiny for its inability to fight Boko Haram after reports of a lack of adequate weaponry and even bullets.

Boko Haram, in contrast, has been seen with advanced weapons, including rocket-propelled grenades, heavy machine guns and even a tank.

The armed group has waged a fight to establish Islamic law in the country's northeast for five years.

The number and scale of attacks rose sharply last year, after the government imposed emergency rule on the three worst-hit states.

Boko Haram has also launched cross-border attacks into Chad and Cameroon.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/africa/2015/01/killed-boko-haram-raids-20151818215251155.html

And in other Nigeria news, the oil companies are lowballing the poo poo out of them for an oil spill compensation settlement:

quote:

Oil giant Royal Dutch Shell has agreed to pay a Nigerian fishing community about $83.5m for the worst oil spill ever suffered in the African nation's southern delta region.

Wednesday's agreement ends a three-year legal battle in Britain over two spills in 2008 that destroyed thousands of hectares of mangroves and the fish and shellfish that sustained villagers of the Bodo community.

It "is thought to be one of the largest payouts to an entire community following environmental damage," the claimants' London lawyers, Leigh Day, said.

The Anglo-Dutch energy giant said it was paying $53.1 million to 15,600 fishermen and farmers and $30.4 million to their Bodo community.

"We've always wanted to compensate the community fairly," said Mutiu Sunmonu, managing director of Shell Nigeria, which is 55 percent owned by the Nigerian government.

The out-of-court settlement averted a full trial at the High Court in London and the money has been paid to the claimants' lawyers.

Shell originally offered $6,000 to the entire community, Leigh Day said.

Sunmonu said Shell also has agreed and is "fully committed" to a cleanup.

Chief Sylvester Kogbara, chairman of the Bodo Council of Chiefs and Elders, said he hoped "that Shell will take their host communities seriously now" and embark on a cleanup of all of Ogoniland.

A UN Environment Programme report has estimated it could take up to 30 years to fully rehabilitate Ogoniland, an area where villagers have been in conflict with Shell for decades.

Kogbara said the community money will be used to provide needed basic services.

"We have no health facilities, our schools are very basic, there's no clean water supply," he told The Associated Press news agency.

Individually, he said villagers are discussing setting up as petty traders and other small businesses until their environment is restored.

Each person gets 2,200 pounds ($3,340) in a country where the minimum monthly wage is less than $100.

Tragedy

Shell's Sunmonu insisted that oil theft and illegal refining remain "the real tragedy of the Niger Delta" and "areas that are cleaned up will simply become re-impacted."

Amnesty International said Shell continues to blame oil theft for spills - which means it does not have to pay compensation - when the company's own documents state its aging oil pipelines present a "major risk and hazard".

Shell had argued that only 4,000 barrels of oil were spilled in Bodo while Amnesty International used an independent assessor who put it at over 100,000 barrels - considered the largest ever oil spill in mangroves.

"Oil pollution in the Niger Delta is one of the biggest corporate scandals of our time," said Audrey Gaughran of Amnesty International. She said thousands more people remain at risk because of Shell's failure to fix aging and dilapidated pipelines.

Source: AP

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/africa/2015/01/shell-pay-835m-nigeria-oil-spill-2015173836649846.html

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Pimpmust posted:

There's a similar "christian" terrorist organisation (still?) operating in central Africa that I can't recall the name of, I'm not sure what it's about that area (Colonialism) that creates such total murderous monsters.

Lords Resistance Army

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Pimpmust posted:

Lords Resistance Army (LRA). Kony's bunch

They are still active but they are a shadow of their former selves, about ~300 members with maybe 3/4 of those being fighters.

edit: beaten

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Pimpmust posted:

Colonialism certainly didn't help, but it didn't create the problems. poo poo's as old as time; bog standard tribalism, only made worse by the modern world.

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

SET PHASERS TO "GRINDING TEDIUM"

stinkles1112 posted:

It must be seriously comforting, being able to wrap yourself in this kind of intellectual security blanket.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

ReidRansom posted:

Colonialism certainly didn't help, but it didn't create the problems. poo poo's as old as time; bog standard tribalism, only made worse by the modern world.

Hrm yes colonialism is somehow not responsible for drawing up a country containing roughly equal numbers of muslim hausa and christian yoruba, with distinct cultures and languages

The primary conflict in Nigeria is between the Muslim north and the Christian south, and seeing as the country was literally created out of whole cloth by colonial powers I'd say no actually you're completely, totally wrong. Sorry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Is Boko Haram one of those warbands that get their members addicted to heavy drugs so they can't leave?

• Locked thread