Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 221 days!

Narciss posted:

Whew. My world view would have been blown wide open, if I wasn't given the weakest of reasons to grab onto that show this as ultimately the fault of white people.

It turns out that when you mercilessly seize power over most of the planet, what you do with that power has long term consequences.

I'm sorry that history offends you; feel free to join the creationists, etc, in denial of reality.

E: it's really sad that some people asked about how this situation got so hosed up, and that when the answer involved white people suddenly we're excusing murder. Thanks for putting the "white" in white noise, I guess.

Although white noise can contribute to learning if used to block out distractions, so I suppose I should be fair to detuned radios and not compare them to something that's actually just totally worthless.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jan 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 221 days!
Presumably the land that was taken had economic and perhaps strategic value as well as cultural (having a cultural attachment to your homeland if you've been there for at least a few generations isn't exclusive to Native Americans).

I'm going to guess that they were relocated is much less able to provide economic and/or military security.

Re: Boko Haram's numbers: last time I checked, even ISIS was pretty small compared to the militaries of most neighbouring countries. Strangely enough, war is about more than comparing some numbers, which is why the two most powerful militaries in history could wipe life from the face of the Earth but cannot control Afganistan.

Considering they've declared all Nigerian Muslims outside of their movement infidels, and that this breakdown is along ethnic lines, assuming that the general population of Nigerian Muslims are a recruiting pool for Boko seems rather like assuming that people from Southern Ireland must have been rushing to join the Orange Order because they're also Christians.

• Locked thread