Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
what one??
atom
brackets
sublime text
i am l33t and use nano, op
other
View Results

• Locked thread
Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

pram posted:

lol what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

Valeyard posted:

sublime works so you can host all your packages in a dropbox folder and then when you setup on a new computer you just point it there and it all syncs, its nice

gently caress you if you use dropbox, condoleeza rice is on their board, you support war criminals

pram
Jun 10, 2001
i am frankly not surprised that failtard is a war criminal

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
im fighting evolution and currently losing

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

horse mans posted:

gently caress you if you use dropbox, condoleeza rice is on their board, you support war criminals

but i use it for free, taking away their profits by abusing their bandwidth

mega.co.nz owns but it doesnt work like drop box

actually tbh i havent tried adding a file to the sync folder

just tried it now. if you copy to the sync folder it upload. i jhvae no idea about anything but i love mega.co.nz

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

rotor posted:

if youre writing java, python, ruby, javascript or (lol) php and not using Idea, lmbo @ u

yeah

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

echinopsis posted:

but i use it for free, taking away their profits by abusing their bandwidth

mega.co.nz owns but it doesnt work like drop box

actually tbh i havent tried adding a file to the sync folder

just tried it now. if you copy to the sync folder it upload. i jhvae no idea about anything but i love mega.co.nz

megaconz

makes u think

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

rotor posted:

this, but with your own private svn repo instead of supporting these clowns

also all your dotfiles and shell scripts and stuff

reminder of what led to the creation of this gif http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/04/21/github-founder-resigns-after-investigation/?_php=true&_type=blogs&hp&_r=0

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

dude were you in christchurch

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

i use dropbox for now

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Share Bear posted:

arguing about tools probably turns people off from starting programming

good, we hate those people

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

i just realized in brackets you can get node debugging and it's way better than the node-inspector thing.

but there's no loving tabs. you can download an plugin to get tabs (like in sublime, safari or any app ever), but it's really buggy.

it doesn't automatically close things like curly braces or quotes, either.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
I like vim plugins in VS because it makes people freak out.

I also like when people literally use capslock and get mad if I rebind it to ctrl :getin:

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

ok

is there an equal to this on Atom: https://github.com/adobe-research/theseus

i used brackets all day this morning and now i have a headache and think it's related.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

ugh, atom is totally hosed too, the tabs don't work at all.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

OK, i disabled every plugin excpept two and now the enter key doesn't make a new line

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Space Whale posted:

I also like when people literally use capslock and get mad if I rebind it to ctrl :getin:

same and same

med school head
Apr 17, 2012

Space Whale posted:

prob because your a loving idiiot

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
only the dumbest fucker would import anything to do with vim into a working ide.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

PleasureKevin posted:

ok

i used brackets all day this morning and now i have a headache and think it's related.

well not...yet

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

PleasureKevin posted:

OK, i disabled every plugin excpept two and now the enter key doesn't make a new line

use intellij

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

tbf those are separate events.

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

is $500 dollars per head for ultimate edition worth wheedling for? this money is from a fun money pool, so i'd need a decent to reason care

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Brain Candy posted:

is $500 dollars per head for ultimate edition worth wheedling for? this money is from a fun money pool, so i'd need a decent to reason care

things you have to consider

how many seats are you looking for? if its a significant number, contact jetbrains and see what they can do

what features do you need? it could be that all you really need is the community edition, which is free.

would you rather just have your own copy? a personal license is cheaper and can be used at work, but has to be purchased by you.

also seriously just do the 30 day trial of ultimate and see if it suits your needs.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
also wheedling is such poo poo and lol if your employer won't spend money on you that makes you more productive, but here's how you justify it until you go get a real job.

lets just say that intellij is 500 dollars yearly, which it isn't. thats under 2 dollars a day for your license. if you can't bs that a random developer product which has universal acclaim and uptake by google then i cant help you man.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

PleasureKevin posted:

ok

why would you need a thesaurus in a text editor?

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

FamDav posted:

also wheedling is such poo poo and lol if your employer won't spend money on you that makes you more productive, but here's how you justify it until you go get a real job.

lets just say that intellij is 500 dollars yearly, which it isn't. thats under 2 dollars a day for your license. if you can't bs that a random developer product which has universal acclaim and uptake by google then i cant help you man.

no no, this is all true, i was just looking for personal recommendations.

fun money pool -> we get to do whatever we want with it. wheedling was a bad word choice

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Brain Candy posted:

no no, this is all true, i was just looking for personal recommendations.

fun money pool -> we get to do whatever we want with it. wheedling was a bad word choice

use jetbrains or kill yourself

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
whats the big deal about intellij for java when you have eclipse for java? :coffeepal:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

so we had this chat in secfuck thread where i ended up around here

kalstrams posted:

hmm, if sublime is dead then, uhm, ill stop being lazy for 30 minutes and throw up everything suggested then and pick. so - nano, vi, emacs, atom, ispf, edlin

also, we probably should go to text editor thread
today i attempted to mimic thinking process for a bit and here''s what i got - im idiot
either way, seems like nano is like vim/emacs is like prechewed food to normal food
edlin seems to have fallen into eternal slumber a bit more than a year before i was born
for ispf i have found windows clone called spflite, but i do not see "why" other than someone regarded it well in seckfuck thread
atom has been criticized heavily here, besides that i dont think i want it from what it is architecturally
that leaves me basically with vim or emacs and it beats me. i have minimal vim experience and nothing with emacs. from what i gather, vim is the alpha text editor while emacs is literally hitler everything if you know its lisp dialect, but nothing in it is better than specialized stuff, say vim for text

out of textmate, bbedit, and sublime only bbedit has had a stable release within a year and only sublime runs on operation system i actually have. while they may be completely functional, im not fascinated with idea to pay for product that seems to have ceased development, unless there arent any alternatives

idk if its just me, but seems like tough poo poo to figure out

basically, as far as i see it now, if i can latex away in vim comfortably, i do not know if i have reason to go emacs. if i cant latex in vim comfortably, i probably want emacs then, since single tool for all text thing is cool. other text stuff i do is minor, for coding i will have to do i have jetbrains licence

bonus points to vim for having bideo jame tutorial

Bloody posted:

if your a colossal child or a literal child, http://vim-adventures.com/

does anyone have experience with doing latex in vim (off windows preferably) and/or emacs?
what else did i miss?

:ohdear:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

lmfao @ a text editor w/ a 2mb limit wtf

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

Captain Foo posted:

lmfao @ a text editor w/ a 2mb limit wtf

how can you even edit your text when it can't be opened?!?!?

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

also lol if you need a text editor and can't modify everything with sed/awk

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

BillWh0re posted:

Atom's 2mb filesize limit means you can't open most logs or serialised data, god knows what part of the node stack is responsible for that

also the performance vs. sublime is pure poo poo

wait the real lmao is opening log files in an editor

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
i like sublime b/c i can hit cmd-b or ctrl-b or whatever and it runs my python script and that's all i need it to do

i like sublime 2 most b/c it uses python 2.7 aka god's own python which means i don't have to learn the funky new syntax for printing strings

hope you like my story!

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Captain Foo posted:

wait the real lmao is opening log files in an editor

4 real

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer
atom sucks at loading files, but lol if you're not tail-ing and grep-ing your logs.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
i use vim emacs sublime intellij and even vs, dependong on context

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

theadder posted:

i use dropbox for now