Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Where in the world are you that there's a bar inside a supermarket? That sounds like something I need to add to my (rather lame) bucket list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
I shot a wedding that took me wildly out of my usual comfort zone so that was cool. I knew it'd be different as it was an Egyptian Orthodox wedding, but I didn't expect the humongous cultural differences re: schedules and the importance of them, timing and how it's usually a thing with weddings, and sticking to plans.

I mean, it turned out to be a blast and we got some great photos but man did I have to just go with the flow and roll with it. The Dj flipped her poo poo at one point and led me away from earshot of any guests and was like "so the groom has decided to throw the entire itinerary OUT THE WINDOW so I have no idea what is happening and when. I'll try to give you forewarning but THE SCHEDULE IS NOT BEING FOLLOWED"

really they just wanted to dance to the music they brought and just rock out which they did

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

ExecuDork posted:

Where in the world are you that there's a bar inside a supermarket? That sounds like something I need to add to my (rather lame) bucket list.

It's weird even for Portland.

They gave us a free cheese plate, too :buddy: and aren't allowed to accept tips :confused:

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
They've got a bar in the Whole Foods in Newport Beach CA, saw a lady thinking she was fancy knocking back a gold can Fosters one afternoon.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
There aren't bar in grocery stores here, but there are cafes where you can purchase and drink beer.

Pennsylvania and Oregon, two hosed up states.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Oh, and I got married on the weekend and am in the PNW for the honeymoon.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Spedman posted:

grats :toot:

I am spending another weekend with dakana

it is not a honeymoon

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Spedman posted:

If you're in portland hit up the Photo Crew & ditch your wife

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

DJExile posted:

grats :toot:

I am spending another weekend with dakana

it is not a honeymoon

we're so far past that phase

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

dakana posted:

we're so far past that phase

god if that isn't the truth

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

ansel autisms posted:

If you're in portland hit up the Photo Crew & ditch your wife

I mentioned it to the wife and the "what'd you think?" look :sadwave:

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Squad up or die 💀💀💀

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

If you see a guy with a little black Domke bag and a GW690ii in Portland over the weekend, possibly wearing an Angels cap, that's me.

Nearly out of Portra 400.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Soundmonkey hasn't posted in like forever

is shortbus OK :ohdear:

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

DJExile posted:

Soundmonkey hasn't posted in like forever

is shortbus OK :ohdear:

Yeah I'm fine, work's just sucked recently. Rest assured I do still read and enjoy everyone's fine shitposts.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
We should get a dorkroom gang tag.

I say we, even though I've posted in here like five times in the last year.

Rest assured, I do have photos to post. I'm just too lazy to put them on Flickr.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

There's a cat-themed art charity auction coming up at my local art association, so Hugo and Olaf have been submitted.

dont hate the playa
May 12, 2009
I'm visiting my parents outside Atlanta this week so I decided to do a search for camera stores nearby. Seems like we are about 15 minutes from the actual KEH store. Well heck yeah I'm gonna go there. Bought lots of stuff from them, but never realized where they were located.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery

Claw Massage posted:

I'm visiting my parents outside Atlanta this week so I decided to do a search for camera stores nearby. Seems like we are about 15 minutes from the actual KEH store. Well heck yeah I'm gonna go there. Bought lots of stuff from them, but never realized where they were located.
You will probably be disappointed. (Warning: dpreview_forums.txt within the first 10 replies.)

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
They're basically just a warehouse, I don't even know if they really let you go in except to do local pickup of orders if you are in the area.

dont hate the playa
May 12, 2009
Yup, but I still browsed their website in a lobby and walked away with a camera, so it was worth the trip.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Saturday morning cuppa, it's the weekend jerks.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
My DSLR kit is going through eBay, one piece at a time and I find it a bit sad.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

spog posted:

My DSLR kit is going through eBay, one piece at a time and I find it a bit sad.

Why?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

I've got m4/3 and my Canon stuff just sits on the shelf until all the batteries go flat. It makes absolute sense to sell it and get back some cash/space

And yet: holding that chunky DSLR in my hand gives a tactile pleasure. It is a Real Camera and I will miss having it. The m4/3 just takes good photos, but the wheels don't go 'click' and the shutter doesn't go 'clop'

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

spog posted:

and the shutter doesn't go 'clop'

brony spotted

Boko Haram
Dec 22, 2008

I just lost my phone in a trailer I was loading at work, and I bought a new one on the way home. Really too tired and drunk to activate it but I need a call back from this job I want.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Boko Haram posted:

I just lost my phone in a trailer I was loading at work, and I bought a new one on the way home. Really too tired and drunk to activate it but I need a call back from this job I want.

hail satan

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
i'm a member of the dorkroom freedom caucus, which thread are we handling the impeachment in?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
http://petapixel.com/2015/10/30/behold-a-selfie-stick-for-large-format-cameras/

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Paul MaudDib posted:

i'm a member of the dorkroom freedom caucus, which thread are we handling the impeachment in?

lol cockass

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
hey guys how's the start of your weekend going?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

dakana posted:

:stonk:

what

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Guess it's time for a new SD card!

Hopefully it's just the filenames that are hosed up, the file sizes look okay, but that probably doesn't mean much.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

dakana posted:

Yeah, I just had a ton of vacation photos lost to a hard drive that started to go bad. I feel ya.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
Of course it happens on my favorite card, a 64GB Lexxar Professional UDMA7.

File sizes are good, so it makes me think if I can figure out how to rename them it'll be alright. Windows Explorer and Irfanview haven't been able to so far.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

dakana posted:

Of course it happens on my favorite card, a 64GB Lexxar Professional UDMA7.

File sizes are good, so it makes me think if I can figure out how to rename them it'll be alright. Windows Explorer and Irfanview haven't been able to so far.

https://www.piriform.com/recuva

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

I've used this for other things. Works very well.

Never tried it on a corrupt card though.

Dude, I honestly mean this. Good luck.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
If that doesn't work, the TestDisk/PhotoRec bundle is also very good. It's explicitly designed for this contingency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
Oh, a testing program sounds good. On Sunday I had two family sessions and out of curiosity I recorded to 2 cards -- the suspect CF card and an SD card I knew worked for safety. The CF card recorded the exact same photos as the SD card and worked perfectly. Some sort of analysis to "prove" that might be nice.

I... well, I wasn't exactly sure what the photos on the card with the funky names were of, to be honest. I've been shooting A LOT in the past few months and haven't had a lot of time to regroup myself. That plus I needed to rebuild a RAID and add more disks to my NAS so my photos are kind of all over my drives and/or my laptop. I'd have photos on cards for a while which is not how I typically work.

• Locked thread