Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

Elliotw2 posted:

That is probably the saddest grilled cheese i've ever heard of. I was enjoying the snowed in winter hellscape known as Michigan but I think I'm going to make a real grilled cheese now.

Sourdough, white cheddar, and thin slices of granny smith apple. Do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
Speaking of jobs, this university gig should go up this week and I'll be applying so wish me luck I guess

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
Stay up late! Watch football! It's Tuesday now! Hail Satan!

... wake up in six hours. work ten hours. gently caress ...

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
Nine and a half hours until I'm off work. Then I can obsess about my portfolio and application from the comfort of my home instead of current workplace!

dakana
Aug 28, 2006

Dren posted:

Made a non-scrub grilled cheese w/ Pain de Campagne bread, sharp cheddar, muenster, thin slices of Granny Smith apples, and turkey. It owned.

You're welcome.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
I'm like a puppy mill dog pacing its cage. Check job application. Check Facebook for messages from portfolio and resume critiquers. Check Dorkroom for portfolio critiques. Check job application. Check Facebook...

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
postin' from work on a Friday :getin:

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
it's like oh Hey a flickr photo i'd like to see it bigger so i'll click on it becAuse that is a nIgh universaL user experience Standard across like every plAtform and application but no flickr is a special snowflake so clicking Takes you to another picture if you wAnted to see it big you needed to click on a weird icon down by the bottom to find a meNu

dakana fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jan 25, 2015

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
I mean it works it just doesn't work well. The interface and overall user experience is just not good.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
Wife has the stomach flu so I'm in the guest bedroom. Going to our fictive-kin-niece's 1st birthday party tomorrow... likely without her :( but she wants me to take photos so she said I'm not allowed to feel bad about leaving her for a few hours.

Satan please leave my wife's GI tract tia

dakana
Aug 28, 2006

DJExile posted:

hi i'm winston and i clean myself in the shower

also get better soon, dakana's wife :(

HI WINSTON

also :siren: an english muffin is being eaten :siren:

dakana
Aug 28, 2006

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
I'm gonna go shoot high school basketball so you could say I'm gonna go ask satan to white balance for me

dakana
Aug 28, 2006

DJExile posted:

film dates

the sexiest dates

hail satan

Mrs dakana took one look and said "I'm sorry what the hell"

dakana fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Feb 15, 2015

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
Mellow Mushroom. Lagunitas IPA. Week fuckin' end.

It was like -20 today. Tomorrow it's gonna snow some inches but be like 30. Then it's gonna get real drat cold again.

But hey, I get to try out the snowblower.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
I wanted a crispy leftover crab rangoon. Put it in the toaster oven. Cranked that poo poo up. Something dripped onto the element. It caught fire. My wife told me to throw baking soda at it, so I did and that put the fire out. Then I threw it outside. For safety.

Hail satan.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006

DJExile posted:

That, by my count, is at least twice in the last two months you've nearly burned down your kitchen.

yes but the first time it was mrs. dakana's fault. this time it was my fault. so that's one for each of us. everyone gets one, so now there will be no more (unintentional) fires in the kitchen. that is the hope, satan willing.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
I've successfully fried pickles with just a saucepan and no thermometer (you use popcorn kernels). I've made rustic bread and pizza in a 550 degree oven on a big fuckoff stone that's been preheating for an hour. I've deglazed hot pans with various alcohols.

But I'm defeated by a reheated crab rangoon and a toaster oven.

but I made it up to the wife tonight

j/k i'll never make up for the fact that she married me lmbo

dakana
Aug 28, 2006

Mr. Despair posted:

4 day weekend krew reportin' in.

I work 4 ten-hour days a week. Tuesday is my day off. Today was like a Friday so gently caress yaaaaaaall

dakana
Aug 28, 2006

Whitezombi posted:

you are a boring motherfucker

If ur calling cinnastack pancakes boring then :frogout:

dakana
Aug 28, 2006

8th-snype posted:

003o on friday. Why am I up? I need to clean my kitchen for a last minute photo shoot for my friends catering business. On the plus side I get to field test my new LED lights. On the not plus side I have been living in bachelor level squalor all week because my roommates are out of town. My center island and countertops are filled with empty beer cans and amazon boxes FML (nothing gross I'm just too lazy to take out recycling).

friend of mine is really considering trying to sell her cupcakes (she makes rad good cupcakes) so i'm trying to convince her to go for it so i can take promotional photos in exchange for eatin them cupcakes

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
Toiletposting pre-shower after installing laminate flooring my living room.

My dad helped, so I seeded the Google Play radio with Boston and we laid that poo poo down.

I learned that I am much, much more meticulous than my dad. But we will both jam out to REO, Journey, and Foreigner all day.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
I raided the pantry for dinner last night which means I put black beans among other things inside an omelette and it was p good

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
I signed up to shoot Varsity baseball at 11 and JV at 130.

Home team's schedule confirms that. Cool. Home team's twitter says Varsity is playing a double header starting at noon. Wait, what?

Then the away team schedule shows that Varsity plays at 9am and JV plays at 1130.

:psyduck:

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
wedding tomorrow whoooo

family portraits on sunday whoooo

make the money don't let the money make you am i right

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
also have you tried hailing satan

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
god bless our vets

dakana
Aug 28, 2006

pro image size

dakana
Aug 28, 2006

DJExile posted:

hey guys

a week from tonight, dakana and I get to spend the night in a hotel that prides itself on its several RV hookups, parking spots, and dump stations

last year it was a rapey motel out of a Rob Zombie film

i'm not sure if we're better off this year

mrs. dakana told me not to get in the hot tub because she's afraid i'll get scabies

i'm gonna risk it. i live dangerously.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006

DJExile posted:

I sat in conditions ranging from drizzle to mosquito cloud to downpour for 13 hours shooting crazy white people who pay good money to run in mud and destroy their shoes, clothes, and relationships

Everything is pain

hail satan

everything was wet

nothing was dry

it was like the mud was sticky wet metal and everything was a superpowered electromagnet

my elbows are raw, my fingers and hands are dead

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
last weekend was a spartan race (slow wet mud death)

this weekend will be a wedding that'll run late into the night (welp, hope i don't blow my fingers up with sparklers)

next weekend will be another spartan race (maybe hot sticky mud death this time)

then i go to myrtle beach for a week and do nothing but like float around and read

the end is in sight. the tunnel is narrowing. i must plow on.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
I shot a wedding that took me wildly out of my usual comfort zone so that was cool. I knew it'd be different as it was an Egyptian Orthodox wedding, but I didn't expect the humongous cultural differences re: schedules and the importance of them, timing and how it's usually a thing with weddings, and sticking to plans.

I mean, it turned out to be a blast and we got some great photos but man did I have to just go with the flow and roll with it. The Dj flipped her poo poo at one point and led me away from earshot of any guests and was like "so the groom has decided to throw the entire itinerary OUT THE WINDOW so I have no idea what is happening and when. I'll try to give you forewarning but THE SCHEDULE IS NOT BEING FOLLOWED"

really they just wanted to dance to the music they brought and just rock out which they did

dakana
Aug 28, 2006

DJExile posted:

grats :toot:

I am spending another weekend with dakana

it is not a honeymoon

we're so far past that phase

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
hey guys how's the start of your weekend going?

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
Of course it happens on my favorite card, a 64GB Lexxar Professional UDMA7.

File sizes are good, so it makes me think if I can figure out how to rename them it'll be alright. Windows Explorer and Irfanview haven't been able to so far.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
Oh, a testing program sounds good. On Sunday I had two family sessions and out of curiosity I recorded to 2 cards -- the suspect CF card and an SD card I knew worked for safety. The CF card recorded the exact same photos as the SD card and worked perfectly. Some sort of analysis to "prove" that might be nice.

I... well, I wasn't exactly sure what the photos on the card with the funky names were of, to be honest. I've been shooting A LOT in the past few months and haven't had a lot of time to regroup myself. That plus I needed to rebuild a RAID and add more disks to my NAS so my photos are kind of all over my drives and/or my laptop. I'd have photos on cards for a while which is not how I typically work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dakana
Aug 28, 2006

Paul MaudDib posted:

TestDisk/PhotoRec are actually just undelete software. I don't know if they have a test function or not. You could run them on both the CF and SD card and then checksum the files that both recover? The CF should recover perfectly since it has an intact filesystem.

They're pretty much the standard go-to when you gently caress up a filesystem. I broke the connector off an external drive and then realized that the controller wasn't running a passthrough to a standard GPT table. TestDisk managed to pin down the start of the partition and I got 100% recovery onto a separate disk, then copied it back.

I'd try reformatting it and giving it another go, but after what you saw I would never rely solely on that card ever again. Best case you squeeze another couple of months out of it, but what you just saw is a gigantic lump on the MRI of your filesystem and sooner or later that card is gonna croak. Use it for Raspberry Pi or running stuff to the grocery store to print off on their kiosk or whatnot.

Word. I realized that after googling TestDisk/PhotoRec.

There are apparently programs out there that will test flash memory. This tool writes random data to the entire capactiy of the card, then reads it back and checks for inconsistency.

Considering the potential loss of an entire wedding (or, poo poo, even just a few frames from a wedding) vs $60 for a new card, though, I don't think there's any way to restore my confidence in it.

• Locked thread