Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

esperterra posted:

Yes and no. It was great seeing them having fun, but it wasn't a good thing of course. Fiona realizing she was just perpetuating the cycle was a great piece of acting, that she really does draw chaos in and now she has dragged Debs-- who had an amazing time with her cool older sister-- into it.

Loving this season so far.

Yeah, that scene was really bittersweet between Debbie laughing and Fiona suddenly realizing that not-jeffrey-dean-morgan was right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Vincent posted:

Yeah, that scene was really bittersweet between Debbie laughing and Fiona suddenly realizing that not-jeffrey-dean-morgan was right.

I'm quite worried about this with the imminent arrival of Jimmmy. Those two together are chaos thrown in a blender.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Hoping for some glorious Lachman tonight.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
God dammit Debbie not this subplot again

liltimshady
Sep 6, 2011
Matt was a cool guy, but drat, Debbie, you hosed up. :aaaaa:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Not a very good episode but that rant was pretty spectacular.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Joan Cusack is awesome.

LazyDivey
Jun 18, 2004

Orange crush momma is a laugh laugh laugh.

withak posted:

Joan Cusack is awesome.

I hope that's not the last we see of her this season. That ending was hilarious! Her, Fiona, and Mickey make this show.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

At first, I was really upset about Debbie.

And then the severed leg cured everything. I really hope that isn't the last of Sheila, I love her.

LazyDivey
Jun 18, 2004

Orange crush momma is a laugh laugh laugh.

quote:

Going to miss Emma Greenwell (Mandy) and @realjoancusack (Sheila). It's sad to lose great castmates, but an eventuality in longform stories.

Source https://twitter.com/CameronMonaghan/status/559550596336721920

drat we lost two great cast members in one episode. :(

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

LazyDivey posted:

Source https://twitter.com/CameronMonaghan/status/559550596336721920

drat we lost two great cast members in one episode. :(

Well, maybe. For all we know he's attempting to hide their eventual return. It would be ballsy if they don't come back though.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

It was a perfect sendoff for Sheila. I would guess Joan probably is leaving. As much as I like Sheila and was looking forward to more with her and Sammi I think they've taken that character about as far as it can go. On the other hand I think Emma had filming commitments for something else which explains writing her out for now.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Aw that was the one house in the neighbourhood that was actually taken care of.

Oliver Reed
Mar 18, 2014

Kinda bummed about Mandy leaving like that. Always thought she was a good character. I assume the actress is busy with other stuff? On the other hand, I don't mind Sheila going at all. I found her more irritating than I did funny. She had her moments, sure, but she was only appealing to me in very small doses.

As for Debbie...I don't know, I agree that Matty is sort of a weirdo but at the same time the reverse date rape thing is interesting to me.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Oliver Reed posted:

Kinda bummed about Mandy leaving like that. Always thought she was a good character. I assume the actress is busy with other stuff?

She just had to film Pride & Prejudice & Zombies, so this exit quite possibly isn't permanent.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I wonder if (in story context) she left because she saw that Lip wasn't reciprocating her feelings. Also regarding Matty I can understand why he is freaked out, there's a reason why he turned Debbie down last season and so him finally just going "I can't do this, you want to do stuff and jesus christ I am 20 years old that is very bad" makes perfect sense.

I also liked Lip's "how do you rape a guy?", well Lip, the same way you rape a girl

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Aces High posted:

I wonder if (in story context) she left because she saw that Lip wasn't reciprocating her feelings.
That is exactly why. The A.V. Club reviewer put it well:

quote:

In one shot, Lip tries to cure Mandy of, as Ian put it, her “hood girl” low self-esteem. He tells her she’s sweet, she’s smart, she’s a good person. But what Lip can’t tell her is that he loves her. It’s the one weapon he had in his arsenal, but he couldn’t bring himself to pull the trigger.

AbandonShip
Dec 25, 2007

Aces High posted:

I wonder if (in story context) she left because she saw that Lip wasn't reciprocating her feelings.
The first thing I thought of was back when Ian was leaving. He just wanted Mickey to say I love you and he might have stayed. That's all Mandy wanted too, I think. Such a bummer, I really hope she comes back...

liltimshady
Sep 6, 2011

Aces High posted:

I wonder if (in story context) she left because she saw that Lip wasn't reciprocating her feelings. Also regarding Matty I can understand why he is freaked out, there's a reason why he turned Debbie down last season and so him finally just going "I can't do this, you want to do stuff and jesus christ I am 20 years old that is very bad" makes perfect sense.

I also liked Lip's "how do you rape a guy?", well Lip, the same way you rape a girl

Most likely. In Lip's defense, he said those three words to Karen and...it doesn't end well at all.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
I really wanted Lip to tell Mandy he loved her or at least say something to her to make her feel like he did. I've always really liked their relationship and it'll be interesting to see if/how this changes the way Lip interacts with his girlfriends. I'm gonna miss the Lip/Mandy/Ian trio.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Tulalip Tulips posted:

I really wanted Lip to tell Mandy he loved her or at least say something to her to make her feel like he did. I've always really liked their relationship and it'll be interesting to see if/how this changes the way Lip interacts with his girlfriends. I'm gonna miss the Lip/Mandy/Ian trio.

That was so painfully heartbreaking to watch. I knew it was going to end poorly when the compliments started.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

I really hope that's Sheila's last scene. It was perfect.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

nooneofconsequence posted:

I really hope that's Sheila's last scene. It was perfect.

That wasn't just a great moment for Sheila, but another great "Frank getting poo poo on" moment. Those are always glorious, this one's probably a close second to Frank having severe liver damage for an entire season.

I mean Frank is entertaining as a raging rear end in a top hat, but I always welcome the horrible things that happen to him.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

King Vidiot posted:

That wasn't just a great moment for Sheila, but another great "Frank getting poo poo on" moment. Those are always glorious, this one's probably a close second to Frank having severe liver damage for an entire season.

I mean Frank is entertaining as a raging rear end in a top hat, but I always welcome the horrible things that happen to him.

It was also nice that Sheila saw through his bullshit when he was trying to manipulate her in the house, but slipped up and admitted he didn't care about her.

InfiniteZero posted:

Wouldn't he be criminally liable for blowing up that guy? It was entirely his fault and I don't think it would be a tough case for the fire department to crack to determine how the explosion originated.

Then again its just a TV show but still.
also, this. Frank technically killed that guy, by negligence at the very least

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jan 27, 2015

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

King Vidiot posted:

Wouldn't he be criminally liable for blowing up that guy? It was entirely his fault and I don't think it would be a tough case for the fire department to crack to determine how the explosion originated.

Then again its just a TV show but still.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.

bamhand posted:

That was so painfully heartbreaking to watch. I knew it was going to end poorly when the compliments started.

When she was sitting on the bed afterwards I felt so bad for her and Lip was just so oblivious that it was super depressing. I like Lip but he's dumb as gently caress when it comes to his relationships.

Stik3
Jan 28, 2015

From President of the colonies to this.

Tulalip Tulips posted:

When she was sitting on the bed afterwards I felt so bad for her and Lip was just so oblivious that it was super depressing. I like Lip but he's dumb as gently caress when it comes to his relationships.

I really hope she comes back. I like her character. But I feel like it's probably sitting towards a 50/50 with her coming back and her not. I mean, I could probably look for her character equivalent in the UK version of Shameless, but I don't think it will line up, anyways.
You'll be missed, Mandy.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Yeah the characters I like are leaving, I wish Ian would run off to the army for another season instead.

rubberrazors
Nov 1, 2011

Stik3 posted:

I really hope she comes back. I like her character. But I feel like it's probably sitting towards a 50/50 with her coming back and her not. I mean, I could probably look for her character equivalent in the UK version of Shameless, but I don't think it will line up, anyways.
You'll be missed, Mandy.

They're similar but no they don't really line up. I prefer the US Mandy over the UK Mindy who was (in my opinion) a boring single mom with a gangbanging family behind her. I'm hoping Mandy'll come back eventually.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Is there a new episode tomorrow night? I always forget if they try to compete with the Super Bowl or just don't bother.

AbandonShip
Dec 25, 2007

Henchman of Santa posted:

Is there a new episode tomorrow night? I always forget if they try to compete with the Super Bowl or just don't bother.

I didn't even think about this! I just checked sho.com and it says "on the next episode of shameless- tomorrow at 9pm" so yup, looks like it's still on!

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Oh Fiona. You so crazy.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.

Henchman of Santa posted:

The fact that they rerun it like 16 times in one night kinda means they don't really have to compete.

Mickey's look when he walks inside and Svetlana's just like "your boyfriend's losing his poo poo" is...heartbreaking. The Dude Where's My Car storyline is hilarious. Frank lives it high...for a night.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

haha I've watched The Wire enough times to know that Carl was gonna gently caress up on his first sale :allears:

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun
They tried too hard with the whimsical marriage in a day thing. "Oh look, let's fill out a bunch of paperwork, tee hee! And make sure we get this signature! Gosh it just happened in a whirlwind!" I just don't buy that Fiona didn't give her house full of kids living situation a single thought.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

hepscat posted:

I just don't buy that Fiona didn't give her house full of kids living situation a single thought.

I partially agree with you, but by the same token Fiona has been increasingly irresponsible lately. The whole point of it was to show that she literally didn't think any of it through. The part I agree with was that it was a little forced.

That being said this was actually one of my favorite episodes in awhile. Kevin is such a cool dad. I really liked the part where Lip was bonding with his girl's dad and also that the dad seemed pretty legit about the whole thing too. I liked his girl's smile as they were hanging out in the work shop.

Also seconding the goon that mentioned mickey's look as he realized that he probably can't help ian.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I thought Ian was going to take the mystery drugs in the suitcase and have his mania cured for 24 hours, and everyone notices except him.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I laughed way too hard at Frank being chased by the one-legged girl, then dragging her around by her new prosthetic leg.

The hosed-up part is that it might not be the lowest Frank's ever gone.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

King Vidiot posted:

I laughed way too hard at Frank being chased by the one-legged girl, then dragging her around by her new prosthetic leg.

The hosed-up part is that it might not be the lowest Frank's ever gone.

Letting Butterface die is still the lowest Frank's ever gone, and I don't see that getting unseated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Man Mickey's face is just heartbreaking when he can't stop ignoring what Ian has is just an amazing scene.

• Locked thread