Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
khy
Aug 15, 2005

THAT IS NOT THE WORD I WOULD HAVE USED.

A list of words that I would have been used :

Horrifying
Terrifying
Disturbing
Ungodly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

I had the honour of watching a tiny window dog shedding earlier this week
it went a lot quicker than I thought it would! and it was so delicate looking sitting there drying its new legs in the breeze :3:

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
This is my favorite thread in the universe Oh my God all of these wonderful doggs

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

The sponsors will like you better this way, trust me.

Sup fellow dog owners!
http://imgur.com/oHdp0rw

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
Are there any dog breeds capable of cognition greater than stimulus>response?

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

A.o.D. posted:

Are there any dog breeds capable of cognition greater than stimulus>response?
it's generally agreed that the jumping dogs are the most intelligent, as they're capable of object permanence (very unusual among inverts) and can actually learn how to approach situations they don't have the instincts to deal with automatically (eg Portia hunting, can use trial and error to come up with strategies to take down new prey they've never seen before)

Voltin Bolt
Oct 17, 2004

IT DOES NOT FIX
I've been throwing a bunch of my dog drawings on Redbubble lately, in case anybody likes pictures of dogs to be on them / the things they have.

<- this is also a tiling wallpaper

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
This thread has been really helpful for me in my quest to get over my fear of dogs :3: God drat these are cute.

I had a very tiny dark dog in my room last summer named Francine. She would hang around a while and then disappear for days at a time. It was always so reassuring when she would come back.

Can anyone tell me more information about the beige dogs that tend to hang out in my house? I live in the Northeast U.S. for what it's worth. There was one summer where we had a lot of them- not a LOT a lot, like in the thousand puppy pictures, but like somebody would find one every few days. This summer I've only seen one or two so far. I usually just let them be and they tend to go away after a brief time, but if they start coming down the wall to where I can reach them, I like to cup and relocate them outside (shrubs, plants, sometimes just on the deck). Am I harming them by placing them in such a relatively harsh environment or will they be okay out there? :smith:

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

'beige dog in the northeast US' isn't really enough to make a guess at a breed, but they're probably fine outside
it's the summer so it's not too cold, there's plenty of food and if they really wanna be inside they'll find a way back in
since you say there are a lot of them, I'd assume they're doing just fine! :D

Voltin Bolt
Oct 17, 2004

IT DOES NOT FIX
Actually house dogs are usually supposed to be in houses, they do better there and have probably never been outside before.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Voltin Bolt posted:

Actually house dogs are usually supposed to be in houses, they do better there and have probably never been outside before.

This is good to know. Though in a house of, let's put it this way, non-dog-lovers, if they're anywhere else than my bedroom and someone spots them, either I relocate them or someone else will uh... more "permanently" relocate them. When I achieve the life step of getting my own dwelling I will be able to leave them free-range.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

sweeperbravo posted:

This is good to know. Though in a house of, let's put it this way, non-dog-lovers, if they're anywhere else than my bedroom and someone spots them, either I relocate them or someone else will uh... more "permanently" relocate them. When I achieve the life step of getting my own dwelling I will be able to leave them free-range.

Clearly, anyone that doesn't love dogs needs to be relocated outside. :colbert:

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

love me, love my dog :colbert:

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.
Jesus loving godshit gently caress gently caress no christ no loving oh god please no

Thread title is perfect, and that's me outta PI for another year!

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Was this dog article on SCP posted yet? If not then please enjoy, because it is highly topical for this thread and very :3: for dog affectionados. The rest of the site is for nerds to tell spooky spooky x-files fanfics to one another, so ymmv, but this is one of the true gold nuggets on there.

Gay Abortions
Dec 12, 2007

Karate Bastard posted:

Was this dog article on SCP posted yet? If not then please enjoy, because it is highly topical for this thread and very :3: for dog affectionados. The rest of the site is for nerds to tell spooky spooky x-files fanfics to one another, so ymmv, but this is one of the true gold nuggets on there.

On a related note, there is also this lovely dog-related article on SCP about a group of dogs who are very good friends with each other and want everyone to be good friends together.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I found this stray dog with my face, anybody know what kind of dog it is?

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

it would help to know what region you're in, and I think a closer photo would also be a good idea (a better look at the dogbutt would be really useful to see if she has any distinctive markings, as it is I can't make it out cos of the angle and shadows)
looks like a good and cute dog though!

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

vaguely posted:

it would help to know what region you're in, and I think a closer photo would also be a good idea (a better look at the dogbutt would be really useful to see if she has any distinctive markings, as it is I can't make it out cos of the angle and shadows)
looks like a good and cute dog though!

Oops, it was a potato shot, and I'm in Wichita KS. If i get my 40mm macro lens back today I'll go out to the garage and see the doggie again.

Gay Abortions
Dec 12, 2007

toplitzin posted:

Oops, it was a potato shot, and I'm in Wichita KS. If i get my 40mm macro lens back today I'll go out to the garage and see the doggie again.

Definitely get better pictures but that doesn't look like a Latrodectusbrador web so it's probably a Parasteatodaomeranian or a Steatodacottish Terrier.

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

Looks like you're gonna have puppies

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.

So tiny :3:

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
I have the hugest fear of "dogs" but I realized since the big furry ones don't scare me at all, it must have something to do with the ones with long spindly legs that get to me. One dropped from my car visor directly to eye level and I almost got into an accident at 80mph

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

I like to imagine him on his own tablet having to spell out words, and then having to click log out :3:

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Wow, that dog wants you to log out! How rude!

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

anotherblownsave posted:

I like to imagine him on his own tablet having to spell out words, and then having to click log out :3:

Charlotte's World Wide Web.:3:

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

LorneReams posted:

I have the hugest fear of "dogs" but I realized since the big furry ones don't scare me at all, it must have something to do with the ones with long spindly legs that get to me. One dropped from my car visor directly to eye level and I almost got into an accident at 80mph

:kimchi: love in the fast lane.

Nokanoh
Jan 24, 2014
http://www.livescience.com/52101-rare-red-fanged-spider-found.html

What a beautiful red dog!

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
Saw these dogs on a boat dock.

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

looks like a Tetragnatha species, a long-jawed orb weaver :3:

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

vaguely posted:

looks like a Tetragnatha species, a long-jawed orb weaver :3:

Including the 4th one? Is it so different looking due to male/female differences?

Do male and female dogs look much different from each other in general?

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

ah, the 4th picture wasn't there when I posted (or at least it wasn't showing up), that's a different species for sure
could be Metellina sp. but it's kinda hard to tell from this angle

how different male and female dogs look depends entirely on the species, sometimes they're very different (e.g. Nephila genus) to the point where they look like totally different species, sometimes the only way to tell is relative size, abdomen size/shape or more reliably palp shape (e.g. Gnaphosidae) , mature males have enlarged bulbs on the ends of the palps for mating

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

What do you do if your dog ends up attacked by one of these?

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

accept that you have a new pet now

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

vaguely posted:

accept that you have a new pet now

I think he's fine. He's just sleeping for now. In a weird position.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
So what's all that then?

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

poor dog has been attacked by a parasitic wasp, and now it is a home for little wasp babies

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
I think you'll find that's a parasitic chinchilla :colbert:

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Karate Bastard posted:

I think you'll find that's a parasitic chinchilla :colbert:

Parasitic? poo poo, that chinchilla is a love bug. :kimchi:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

How long can a visiting housedog live without eating :smith: Herb has been around for about a week or two now and I don't think there's much in the way of provisions for him here. He doesn't move much these days and he appears to change in color.

He is my only friend most of the time when I am at home :(

• Locked thread