Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

KernelSlanders posted:

What happened to the old one? Did it get gassed or did I close it by mistake?

you should reopen it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

get the gently caress outta my airport

I wonder how often that happens at SFO

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Fonzarelli posted:

why isn't this totally wrecking his thumb?

im not up to speed on tile cutters but from looking at the gif it seems like it's just a giant sanding wheel rather than a blade

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Jesus I thought a dam failed upstream for a moment

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Sentient Data posted:

It's not a bank if I can't make deposits :colbert:

Maybe there's a display on the handle?

When did Hyundai get into banking?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

flosofl posted:

Hm, spider discussion... Liveleak link... I think I'll let someone braver than me click that one.

drink idiots crush somewhat largish spider with wine bottle, baby spiders on mama spiders back less than amused

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

IPCRESS posted:

How the hell do you go about getting the operator out of the skid steer at this point? Just have them lower the forks and try to fold the tank down, or would you need to try to cut it?

you could probably get him out with ladders but the metal pipe is going to have to be cut if you want the forklift back

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Mikl posted:

Math time!

"A couple drops" = half a milliliter, give or take. Given a density (according to Wiki) of 2.96 grams per milliliter, that's about 1.5 grams. About 87% of that is pure mercury, so 1.3 grams, or 1,300,000 micrograms.

Toxic dose (according to the article) is about 50 micrograms per liter (in blood), which is 250 micrograms total (about 5 liters of blood in an average adult), 0.02% of the amount she absorbed. That amount wouldn't have been absorbed had it been normal mercury, but dimethylmercury's nasty.

additionally from Wikipedia, dimethylmercury is great at passing the blood-brain barrier. Once mercury is in the brain things get bad:

quote:

Mercury is highly reactive with selenium, an essential dietary element required by about 25 genetically distinct enzyme types (selenoenzymes).[20] Among their numerous functions, selenoenzymes prevent and reverse oxidative damage in the brain and endocrine organs. The molecular mechanism of mercury toxicity involves its unique ability to irreversibly inhibit activities of selenoenzymes, such as thioredoxin reductase (IC50 = 9 nM).[21] Although it has many additional functions, thioredoxin reductase restores vitamins C and E, as well as a number of other important antioxidant molecules, back into their reduced forms, enabling them to counteract oxidative damage within body cells.[22] Since the rate of oxygen consumption is particularly high in brain tissues, production of reactive oxygen species (ROS) is accentuated in these vital cells, making them particularly vulnerable to oxidative damage and especially dependent upon the antioxidant protection provided by selenoenzymes. High mercury exposures deplete the amount of cellular selenium available for the biosynthesis of thioredoxin reductase and other selenoenzymes that prevent and reverse oxidative damage,[23] which, if the depletion is severe and long lasting, results in brain cell dysfunctions that can ultimately cause death.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

they harvest steel from pre-1945 shipwrecks for low background steel. The wrecks of the German imperial fleet at Scapa Flow have been providing the bulk of this steel.

Raskolnikov38 fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Apr 17, 2015

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

having never used a wood chipper before, is there a reason why the horizontal loading ones aren't sloped?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Manlius posted:

Performing for kids counts as a job, right?

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=d30_1432358146

Newspaper Spider-Man is real!

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

wouldn't the gamma radiation lose energy as it passed through a body? It might not be capable of transversing the whole hand.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Boat posted:

So on a scale of 1 to :gonk:, how badly do you think the person in the car's arm got wrecked?

Doing a freeze frame on it, it looks his wrist is either broken or he is the luckiest mofo ever and the tire only pushed his hand forward and up

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Phanatic posted:

it was due to toxic gas being produced when the LN2 reacted with the chlorinated pool water.

technically that's right

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

"The ejection of atomized super hot radioactive particles angers environmentalists"

:lol:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

JB50 posted:

Im pretty sure the BATFE has laws against things that fire from remote control.

There was an article about the FBI investigating the dude that built it yesterday

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

If that's the gif I'm thinking of there were two people in that car

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

I'm pretty sure not properly disposing of radioactive waste is also a crime so maybe both parties are wrong!!!

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Samuel posted:

the courts did post a guard and the dudes DID manage to bypass him when he was distracted

he wasn't distracted, he ditched work to go see fuckin' Herbie goes Bananas

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

I wonder what future Herbie goes bananas is like

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

The Mentalizer posted:

One of the most incredible sounds I've ever heard was made by (accidentally) dropping a 9 foot Steinway piano on the floor. The combination of the crash and just about every hammer striking at the same time was one of the most unique things I've ever heard (as well as being a bit panic inducing, seeing as how it was a rental) and I wish I had a recording of it.

how high was the drop?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Lurking Haro posted:

He's falling for about 5 seconds and Wolfram Alpha tells me that's 125 meters/410 feet with an impact velocity of 177 kph/110mph

-fake edit-
News articles say it was 120 meters/390 feet.

I meant the piano

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Pingiivi posted:

That has to be so loving hot. Why are the dudes hanging around that?

is fine, is supposed to do that da

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

zedprime posted:

I don't know much about tiger logistics, but we were told to be this huge blue tarp monster with the weedwhacker and try to be scary and make loud noises. That just made him angry. You could say he got tiger rage, so we retreated.

I really do love that despite recognizing this being the dumbest loving thing in the universe they still went through with it

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

It was probably a case of "Well do you have a better idea?"

call animal control

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

I hope that person survived because I cannot stop laughing at the way they glide/fall

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Nierbo posted:

But why doesnt that heat source ever cool down? If it never cools down that means its a source of perpetual energy?

the heat is from radioactive decay so it's gonna be a long rear end time before that wraps up

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

zedprime posted:

Somewhere, grover is kicking himself for not installing load bearing bus bars the length of the wall.

does not having a U/L cert lead to disqualification on inspections? one of those fire causing bar outlets above may have been able to pass the inspection he failed

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Cat Hatter posted:

Internet lunatic Colin Furze has posted part 3 of his bunker building video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1t7r3SKT2o

Click here to skip directly to his song about ladder safety at 2:40
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1t7r3SKT2o&t=160s

what apocalypse is going to be survivable with two feet of dirt and some sheet metal over your head

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Cat Hatter posted:

A knife that can be opened by flicking the wrist (more centripetal force than gravity). They (and assisted opening knives, where you push the blade open a little bit and a spring opens it the rest of the way) are legal in the U.S. because they don't have a button do the work for you.

NYC actually has a ban from like the 60s on gravity knives which cops are currently using as an excuse to arrest anyone (read minorities) with a knife on them regardless of what kind of knife it actually is

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Trabisnikof posted:

Or we'll open up 3 new mines in North America (2 for Tesla alone).

there's also a giant vein of it in afghanistan, but I don't think anyone has had much of a chance to mine it yet for obvious reasons

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

of course HF would be what stabilizes hydrazine, god has a sick sense of humor

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Three-Phase posted:

I remember hearing that some chemotherapy drugs (drugs that go into your bloodstream) need to be stored in glass because they will eat through a plastic container. :gonk:

so will acetone but you can still stick your hand in it just fine (dont do this if you have an open wound it hurts like hell)

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Carbon dioxide posted:

Acetone dissolves contact lenses. If you don't wear eye protection and get acetone into your eyes while wearing contacts, the contacts will partially dissolve and fuse to your cornea. You'll then need to have them surgically removed.

huh, well now i'm really loving happy I decided to go for glasses over contacts all those years ago

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Cat Hatter posted:

...because you frequently get acetone in your eyes?

not frequently but it has happened once

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Drone_Fragger posted:

This one is the best because the implication is that russia could only win a war against the US if they did a surprise attack while disguised as a civilian vehicle.

also if the US conveniently places the entire air force on one runway

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

how are statins not infinitely easier

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

exercise and dieting? gently caress that doc shoot one of them piggy things through my carotid!

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

:stonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Lurking Haro posted:

I like how this implies that there are no inner doors in those elevators.

there aren't

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DycaoqrMqk

• Locked thread