Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Woo, I design gear that puts the tension load into rebar and from what I have seen almost any tall tower that is to small to have proper piles in it will have foundation bolts/bars which is essentially 30 metre lengths of rebar that poke out of the ground for like 3 feet above the surface. Then they stick the tower stuff on top and bolt it down using the foundation bar/bolts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

The reason no one gives a poo poo about the OHSA is because their fines are pathetically low. It's a similar issue over here with the HSE but over here at least the HSE can obtain a court order mandating those changes or you face jail time for it.

Like seriously I think 3 people died in a corn silo accident in the states like a year ago and the OHSA went "We're issuing our MAXIMUM FINE for this grave occurance, 10000 dollars per instance or 30000 dollars for 3 corpses."

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Train crossings are basically evidence to me that right wingers are wrong about people being smart enough to make their own choices and don't need government help.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Three-Phase posted:

I want one of these lasers! :yayclod:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExTLa6bAdFQ&t=449

That guy's whole house must smell like burned plastic/magic smoke.

Although you wouldn't believe it, this guy's apparently like a senior engineering manager at EON or something

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Russian military procurement finest and least corrupt in all civilised world. if anyone tells you otherwise, report them to me and i'll pay the army to have them whacked.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

I'm assuming that it's balanced on the hydraulic arm so if nothing else it's not going to unexpectedly fall on him unless he does something stupid like disconnect all the hydraulics so the arm has no strength in it.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

DemonToadGoat posted:

The shape and metal of the arm give it strength, its not an inflatable tube, this guy is like 100% safe. Slow bleeds only happen if the arm is suspended and even then in cataclysmic failure the arm wont descend faster than the oil moves anyway so you've got a good 15 minutes to get out of the way.

This thread sometimes has trouble telling the difference between their own fears and danger

Until he removes the engine and the center of mass changes and it falls on him. Check and MATE. (but also yeah this is pretty much true, if theres enough weight on the arm to force the oil out if he disconnects the hydraulics it means it's going to fall away from him anyway).

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Crevasses on mountains are why you do not go off piste unless you are skiing with people who will come back to find your butchered corpse in 15 minutes at the bottom of a 50 ft deep hell crack.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Mak0rz posted:

These things are an example of something I always wanted to try, but never ever will:

Although actually surprisingly safe, I wouldn't of guessed that the designers would be smart enough to design each elastic strand with a factor of safety of 2+.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Anyone post the PEPCON explosion yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRyfMM2FTlk

Long story short: this is the plant that made the solid rocket fuel for the space shuttle SRBs. When the shuttles were grounded, this plant was still contracted to make the drat stuff but had no where to put it or use it, so they started questionably started storing it in drums in what basically amounted to a shed on the yard, rather than any of the normal storage options (think firework storage bunkers). Then it caught fire due to some unprotected welding work, followed by a huge explosion that levelled the site.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

I had a course on ATEX approval and suchlike yesterday, and that was full of lovely anecdotes of why safety critical applications need poo poo that can't be tampered with. The one the guy mentioned was that a huge oil fire we had in the UK in (the buncefield fire) happened because the maintainance team disabled the "high tank" alarm and then disabled the actual mechanism inside the tank for reasons that were unknown. The end result was that a remote oil refinery filled the tank remotely past the top and put like a foot of petrol on the floor of the entire depot site before it finally caught fire.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Captain Cool posted:

How does the water get under the steel to throw it around like that? Is it just momentum from the toss?

My guess: the side of the bottle next to the steel melts, so thats where the steam escapes from, which basically injects it straight into the steel.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

ekuNNN posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=If5h3CMzdrw

A truck carrying liquid aluminium overturned on the highway.

Not overturned, "spilled its hot load everywhere". this is a phrase that the newscaster used.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

GotLag posted:

This is my favourite automatic extremity remover:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0VKvYB4xss

At least thing one doesn't require you to put your hands near the blades, so it's better than all the insane redneck poo poo which boils down to "I done welded an axe head to a engine flywheel uh hue hue hue"

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

C.M. Kruger posted:

From the way the fire chases the people, I'm guessing some kind of heavier than air gas or vaporized fuel?

It must be significantly denser because it didn't explode, so the mixed layer between the air and the fuel is pretty tiny.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Ah yes, the good ole "Fill the trench with water so we can float to the surface and escape" trick. Except this time with gravel.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

DrBouvenstein posted:

Well problem is there are dozens of protesters who are against building more natural gas lines, some of whom go and chain themselves to the equipment/pipes.

Edit: Here, have some good, proper, OSHA-approved (or UK equivilent of OSHA) demolition:

Source:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSZEIZ9eFtY

Actually a really, really, really clever way of keeping the demolition footprint as small as possible :woah:

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

TasogareNoKagi posted:

I recognize that chair model, gently caress :ohdear:

Yeah, they're poo poo because the back is connected to the arms only, so the arms are taking any weight you put on them when you lean back so they break super easy. I broke like 4 of these at uni because they were the chairs in the library and they're a complete piece of poo poo.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Munin posted:

This got linked in another thread:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WXHNBMLZZM

A beautiful recreation of a small steamdriven workshop as it would have been in 1925. Imagine OSHAing that.

All the open flywheels, gearing, belts...

vvv Lovely...

While beautiful, this is the kind of stuff the labour unions very actively tried to stop. Those belts and exposed flywheels are great for having a tiny piece of clothing catch on and then pull your arm off as you walk past.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Planes are absurdly safe to the point that if a plane crashes it's almost universally pilot or crew error over actual mechanical failure. And that's why never fly by any budget Asian airlines because their pilots are not particularly well trained and the planes are not particularly well maintained. Same with Russian airlines.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

MrYenko posted:

:v:

I'm astonished we don't have a BestKorea smiley.

Hilariously, Juche air is banned from all European airspace except for their latest planes (russian Tu-204s, lol) because they're the only planes that meet the safety standards of "not likely to crash into a town on takeoff".

If you want to fly by a good airline, fly Singapore airlines. Their planes are excellently maintained, their pilots know their poo poo and they've been rated in the top 5 airlines for like the last 20 years. Also, they'll give you all the free booze you ask for on international flights provided you don't look drunk so if you can't sleep on planes because of your jet phobia just get hammered and pass out :toot:

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Kramjacks posted:

And this one probly by the same person,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cp7mM2TP_1A

This one is the best because the implication is that russia could only win a war against the US if they did a surprise attack while disguised as a civilian vehicle.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

GotLag posted:

No need to wonder, this is what happens:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lksDISvCmNI

Apparantly it was taking military cargo (I'm assuming vehicles or tanks or something) and they weren't secured properly and when it took off they all shifted to the back and absolutely hosed the hydraulics on the plane up as well as the trim, rendering it completely uncontrollable.

Secure your loads!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Re: "Safety Plane":

Planes are already 17 times safer than cars are. You are more likely to be killed in a road traffic accident on the way to the airport then you are on the plane itself. Those things are checked really routinely and thouroughly for the simple reason that people don't trust them.

All a system like that would do is make maintenance more of a loving ball ache, as well as making it so the planes have to weigh twice as much and carry twice as much fuel because they can't be an effecient air-frame design any more, you have to use 2 god drat airframes inside each other. The entire system is a completely useless crock of poo poo.

• Locked thread