Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Leperflesh posted:

This doesn't make sense to me. How can one "side" of an incomplete circuit be hot and the other side not? An incomplete circuit is incomplete.

...wait, are you saying the danger is if the "hot" side isn't switched off, a person could create a connection between the device and a ground, and this would complete a circuit? I didn't think that was possible with A/C (but I don't realllly grok A/C anyway).

e. How hard would it be to just have your switch disconnect both leads that go to the plug? Surely that would be safest...

I'm not sure about all the rest, but the bolded bit is definitely the case. Think of it like lightning falling out of a cloud, then leaping back, 120/240 times a second until the connection breaks. And nobody cares about DPST switches on appliances when SPST costs half as much and renders the thing just as safe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Say Nothing posted:

Beware of shoddy roof construction...

... In this case, the negligence inclusion of an angry Panther in the ceiling cavity.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Zopotantor posted:

This guy either does not know what he has there, or he was purposely misleading. Not once did he use the words "phase tester", which is what these things are (and all that they're usable for): distinguishing the live and neutral wires. You'll notice that when he demonstrates the devices "not working", he never moves them to the second terminal to confirm that they also show nothing there.

Got this from my grandfather 30+ years ago. I have no idea when it was made, it's certainly older than 50 years.

I found myself pretty annoyed that he wasn't at all explaining the difference between the times when it worked and the times when it didn't. Wikipedia is not helping me out, will someone please explain how these things are supposed to work if the answer isn't "ground the hot side through your body"?

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Sagebrush posted:

:911: can't let those poor government contractors take the hit :patriot:

quote:

Lockheed Martin agreed to forfeit all profit from the project

How much do you think that was?

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Angela Christine posted:

Heh, texas has explosive wind.

Zopotantor posted:

It's all that Mexican food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Maybe so there's no fuel to go splodey? Not really sure.

But airplane parachutes are definitely a thing, just for smaller airplanes (as of now at least).

Notice the disparity in the ratio between load and parachute size. This is why you don't let inventors design your safety systems.

• Locked thread