Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I like that tug boat in dutch is Sleepboot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

ekuNNN posted:

New video from the Dutch crane collapse shows how lucky it was that only a pet dog died:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDRgvP3qe7g

I'm the dude sitting on the sidewalk ignoring everyone running away past me until stuff is literally falling on me.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I can understand company owners not liking OSHA and such but it boggles my mind when actual workers get annoyed with it. You're getting paid by the hour and you're mad at something that makes your job take a tiny bit longer while keeping you bodily intact and alive?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

CampingCarl posted:

I would guess you would be unconscious for most of that time. Hopefully anyway.

Yeah they induce a coma for severe burns.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Vulpes posted:

I haven't heard of people hating on people not knowing about American things. Is this an American thing?

I don't get why people would get mad at other people assuming some product or practice they've never heard of might be a regional or national thing. Probably an american thing.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Nierbo posted:

Why don't volcanoes just cool down slowly over time like every other hot thing ever does?

Because they have a heat source.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

What the gently caress is going on at about 2:40? Is the engine melting through the plane???

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

spacetoaster posted:

NSFW due to screaming profanity. Dude get's crushed between train cars, but they somehow get the cars stopped and pulled apart before he's strawberry jam. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Btr1wsEwTkE

I looked up train couplers and there seem to be a million different things that exist to couple cars that do not involve a human getting between cars.

North American railways use "knuckle couplers" which are like two half-open fists that fist-bump and latch onto each other. They can then be remotely or manually uncoupled. Humans don't really need to go near them. Europe is insane and still uses like 1800's technology couplers for the most part where the trains bump up against each other on big bumpers and then a loving chain lashes two hooks together. A human has to go in there and latch and unlatch everything manually and it's super dangerous and bad.

Typical european coupler

Typical knuckle coupler

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Why is everyone's instinct to seeing a metal cylinder to put it in their pocket and take it home??

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Azhais posted:

If the company is that inept they deserve to have their electricity stolen. Guy at my company started up the software bitcoin miner a few years ago on a mostly idle rarely used lab computer. It was noticed within 24h and he was reprimanded, then fired a week later when he did it again. God forbid actually setting up hardware in the server room.

He didn't get fired the first time then did it again after officially getting reprimanded and probably told if he did anything like that again fired? loving bitcoiners.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Christ how can "yeah this thing that planes do will never happen so we won't bother teaching you about it" be a sound basis for a pilot training programme.

Airlines, like all capitalist ventures, are run by the absolute scum of the earth and they under-pay and under-train pilots while over-working them.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Anyone with the slightest understanding of insurance or risk management is a boring and bad person. YOLO.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

It's also unfair to the chippers because once they've acquired the taste for human blood and associate it with food they have to be destroyed.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Fishstick posted:

Careful when pouring molten aluminum

http://i.imgur.com/2l8QSrp.webm

This why you always pre-heat the mold to get absolutely any moisture out.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

There's been some towers in china burning down too. I don't know what's up witht he Dubai one but in China there were hundreds of towers built with an aluminum cladding with iron pigment paints/coating and some other poo poo that when ignited became thermite. When the product tried to come to the west for approval they couldn't actually measure how flammable it was because it got so hot so fast it broke the testing machine. But totally fine to cover a skyscraper in it.

The building standards outside the west are really really bad. Even if they're ok on paper, there's so much bribery and corruption and cultural/institutional corner-cutting and graft that you end up with some extremely unsafe buildings and job sites.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

We defeated the magnetic security thing on a big laser cutter to try to laser cut someone's finger nails with the power turned down low.

Didn't work out so well, he was fine though.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Three-Phase posted:

Is this one of these "We bought a panel designed and installed by this A&E firm... then we started making some small modifications... yes we have the original prints but it's been modified so much by so many people the prints are now worthless" situations, or close to that. (Worse variants: "The A&E never gave us the prints" or "this guy who left/died/was fired knew where the prints were".)

One of my favorite things at a facility is an electrician or technician telling me "There's this device in here, we have no idea where it's from or what it does, or if it even still functions, and it's not on the prints and none of the wires are labeled. Oh and there's a green wire that has 120Vac on it."

I'm working on a fairly new building, went up in like the early 2000's or so that just got an addition. It had a fairly old style of fire alarm system in it because the large institution that owns this building decided in the 90's that this will be their forever standard panel/system and the vendor was forever good. Very quickly the fire alarm system landscape shifted and that company is regarded as a relic and that style of panel is regarded as hopelessly dated even by the early 2000s, but they stick with them because large institutions hate change.

Anyways, the new addition is constantly activating the old fire alarm system because none of the people who wired it up know anything about this ancient grandpa tech since the other brands are standard now. They've been digging into the system for a month now and everything is an undocumented clusterfuck. The shiny expensive building is barely usable because the fire alarm keeps going off, and to make it not constantly go off they have to compromise the entire system.

This is what happens when you let huge institutions make sweeping edicts about technical issues they don't even understand.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Dread Head posted:

My friend was having some work done on his place...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRGLfpFOQIg

Dogs on the TV, dogs in the dining room, it's all dogs in that house. Kid looks pretty calm and mom just keeps setting the table.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I was just at a little facility that sold commercial gases of various types anything dangerous you could possibly drive into had huge bollards protecting them. How did this place have critical valves in the path of idiot's trucks??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3G4E3WjNufA

Jesus christ. Dude "cooking" directly with his house wiring.

• Locked thread