Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

KernelSlanders posted:

What happened to the old one? Did it get gassed or did I close it by mistake?

Spanish Manlove thought GBS needed some cleaning out or something, and closed most of the megathreads. Very :can:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Delivery McGee posted:

There's a few other horrible death machines to take care of that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVAJT2ThP-4

Goddamn, slowly cutting through an entire stump like that looks like it'd take insane amounts of torque.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Apart from the likelihood of finding random bodies, I kind of want to send a tethered sub into a nice set of caves now - I wonder if they'll eventually have the same price drops as drones?

I find the caves themselves fascinating, but the "drowning while stuck in a claustrophobic passage in a labyrinthic cave" part doesn't really appeal to me.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

peter gabriel posted:

When I was about 10 years old a friend of mine bent down to pick up a ball and got an unseen bit of rebar stuck about 3 inches into his eye socket so those orange mushrooms make sense to me having seen that happen

That story could do with a bit, but not too much, more detail. How dead is he?

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I can't entirely hate that. It obviously works, it's kind of ingenious, and he's wearing face protection. I can still envision it brutally murdering someone, ofc.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

The oil in oil-filled transformers can catch fire in assorted ways, too; could be something like that.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

That's meant to happen ... well, apart from the plane going off the runway in the first place, ofc.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

At work, we have steel frame doors, with a pushbutton to open. Yesterday, our DHL guy pushed the button, looked down at his PDA pad thing, and walked right into the edge of a door; I arrived a bit later to find a dazed DHL guy with a bloody face sitting up against a wall talking to one of our doctors. (There are upsides to working at a hospital).

I believe he ended up needing a few stitches, and now I wonder if our H&S people will make anything out of it.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Lassitude posted:

The saw blade isn't spinning, it's oscillating very rapidly. Your tissues oscillates with it, so it's unable to cut flesh. In hospitals, handheld saws like these are used to cut casts away from the body following a fracture.

That's ingenious.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Three-Phase posted:

That e-stop (where you need to turn THEN push) is a bit... odd...

Lively choice of music, too.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

hailthefish posted:

People in a crowd and empty double-decker busses have roughly the same lb/sqft ratio.

So I guess the real test is being tightly packed with fully loaded doubledeckers?

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Is this the point where I bring up the IT system typically used in Norway? The last mile of power is three-phase at 230V between the phases, ~130V to ground. There's no Neutral and no central Ground, so a typical house has a local ground and gets three live phases at the intake. A socket has two live phases (so 230V) and hopefully ground, in a non-oriented Schuko socket. As connectors go, it's not quite so battleship-solid as the UK one, but much chunkier than the US ones. A proper schuko socket is also recessed enough that the pins don't make contact until they're no longer accidentally reachable.

We're apparently slowly moving to a TN net more like the rest of Europe, where the last mile is 400V between the phases, 230V to a combined ground+neutral, and you get four wires to the house; splitting the ground/neutral out at the intake box. More wires, but less risk of dodgy local grounds, and the higher voltage lets you use cheaper cable.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

falz posted:

It's AC so it doesn't matter. I'll assume the middle is ground though.

Asymmetric plugs (like the US one) lets you define which is neutral and live, where applicable. I have no idea if anything anywhere depends on it, though.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Phanatic posted:

I don't know how Italy delivers power to homes, but it's possible that it's two phases going to the home, with 230V phase voltage, in which case the other two pins are the two phase lines and the center pin is the neutral, in which case it's not going to make a single difference which way you turn the plug.

The center pin is probably protective ground, not neutral. Everything will work in a more unsafe state without it.

And yea, two live is what we have traditionally used here, at least. Three-phase at 230V phase-to-phase; what you get in a socket is two live phases and hopefully a protective ground. Phase to ground is 133V, but since "ground" often means "copper rod hammered into a flowerbed" that's not something you'd actually use. Given the above discussion of switching styles, I hope most things sold here have DPST switches?

Three-Phase posted:

One of the potential dangers is that extremely old electrical equipment, like radios, often had the metal part of the chassis wired to one of the legs as a common connection point. Under the right conditions, the metal case could become live depending on how it's plugged in or whether it's switched on or off. (Chassis would be hot if switched on or hot if switched off.)

http://www.antiqueradio.org/safety.htm

They might also use an isolation transformer between the wall outlet and the device that has a hot chassis - 120 volts in, 120 volts out, but there's no ground reference on the output, so that makes it a lot harder to get a dangerous shock, although the chassis may still be electrified in reference to the other connection at the isolation transformer.

Huh, kind of like how you wire a car. "Eh, whatever metal bit you can bolt to will do as a negative terminal", and then you just run (and switch) positive leads.

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jul 17, 2015

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

FIRST TIME posted:

How old are we talking?

Same timeframe as 6V systems, I think - so England up to the 60s?

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Everything that's not light entertainment, I guess? If it requires you to pay attention to the plot or the in-depth explanations, or if it's meant to leave you thoughtful or angry or sad, it's ... probably not light, but I'll leave the exact weight classes of entertainment to someone else. :D

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Carbon dioxide posted:

According to a youtube comment of the clip in the post above you (yes yes, yt comments, I know), one of the people in that ball broke their leg when that cable snapped.

So, yeah. Not that safe.

Compared to what would have happened f the other line snapped as well, that's very minor?

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

GotLag posted:

Do those things have harnesses inside? I'd hate to imagine being loose inside one of those.

http://m.tu.no/industri/2013/03/08/se-inne-i-livbaten-nar-den-stuper-30-meter

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Leperflesh posted:

If you accidentally murder people by being negligent and creating a hazardous workplace, that's OSHA.

If you intentionally murder people by killing them, that's not OSHA. Even if they were working at the time.

Do OSHA regulations cover exposing people to other people that might well kill them, a la "sending cops to hang out unarmed in secluded rooms with violent prisoners"?
It's certainly workplace health/safety, but it seems kind of outside what they typically cover.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

chitoryu12 posted:

If that were the case, it would probably be an OSHA violation to have police officers engage with any kind of violent people in the first place.

Looking at it: They haven't made specific rules, but it falls under "workplace violence". It's covered covered by their very wide general duty clause ("Each employer shall furnish to each of his employees employment and a place of employment which are free from recognized hazards that are causing or are likely to cause death or serious physical harm to his employees"), and as I understand it, it would be an OSHA violation if you failed to provide police officers with adequate training and equipment to mitigate the risks.

In other news, reading foreign workplace safety rulings at 03:40 is not something I typically do.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

AnnoyBot posted:

Lots of old cylinders around, some are a bit older and have interesting markings. Threads on them seem to think it's not actually Nazi related, since a lot of them are pre-1930.

Incidentally, I remember the starting pistols we had lying around in the army* had little eagles sitting on swastikas. Presumably they were left behind by the Germans and there's never been a reason to replace them. I guess my "US AMES 1945" field shovel somehow balanced it out.

* I was across the hall from the sports and recreation office of the Norwegian King's guards, ca 2003.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Going back to the aluminium theme a few pages ago: Down in south Norway, there's a large aluminium smelter. About a decade ago, another company built a factory that casts car parts (Porsche subframes, mostly) in aluminium right next to it. Being sensible people, they arranged a deal where they get molten aluminium on tap straight from the smelter next door.

I know there aren't any OSHA (or Arbeidsmiljølov) -violations in that summary; I just find the idea of "sure, we can lay a pipe and pump some metal over to you" kind of neat. Oh, and I'm sure the pumping and pipeline system has ample opportunity for unpleasant disasters.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Zombie #246 posted:

here's a good natural gas gif

please exit the house if you smell gas

I feel completely fine about living a place where piping gas to residential houses never caught on.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Oh that sounds mildly worrying. I guess you would have smelled it by now if it was connected and leaking, but still.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

JB50 posted:

Its kind of the go to if you want to do something like, I dont know, HEAT YOUR HOUSE.

I live in Norway, it's not like we are unfamiliar with cold weather.

At the moment I live in central Oslo, so we are on the district heating system: There are a couple of large plants that heat water by burning garbage (and a few that collect waste heat from sewage), and some secondary plants to add extra heat when needed by, yes, burning gas. On our end, we have a heat exchanger in the basement for the radiators and hot water in the building.

Outside that sort of thing, we are mostly phasing out oil burners (my parents just replaced their kerosene stove with an electrical heat pump plus a modern wood stove for the coldest days), and there's lots of electrical heating in general. Like in the pacific NW, cheap hydro power helps.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

The news here had an interview with some random guest who was surprised at how easy the building was to evacuate, so maybe they spent some small fraction of the (no doubt obscene) total price on proper security planning?

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Is that a Dune II rocker launcher?
And if so, why did I recognize it after playing Dune II for a week or two twenty years ago?

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Hyperlynx posted:

It is indeed, from the intro. Dunno, I thought it was pretty memorable, but I was a tiny child at the time. And played it obsessively for the next 25 years of my life or so.

I randomly picked it up in the late 90s after I'd already played C&C (and warcraft 2), but apparently it made a bit of an impression. :)

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Three-Phase posted:

You could also have an element with impedance in series with the circuit to limit the flow of current as well. Other thing about that video - the plug is made for 120V. He's connecting it to 240V. It's going to draw four times as much power on the 240V circuit.

I thought the Chinese/UK converter he used was a small 110/230V transformer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Right, true - putting 1kW through a transformer small enough to fit in a converter socket seems a bit unlikely.

• Locked thread