Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDmuaR6rkgU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISNGimMXL7M

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

dMastri posted:

holy poo poo this is like 10 pages too long and made me late for work and what the gently caress does any of this have to do with ghosts

Divers find dead guy, decide to go back down for dead guy, one of the divers die and the other can't go back down but the dead guy and the original body drift upwards enough to be pulled up IIRC

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

boo_radley posted:

"You know what? You just... uh... just get power for free. It's on us."

Huntsman spiders are good parents because they carry their babies on their back until they can fend for themselves :kimchi:

Those tots should be wearing safety harnesses though

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
It's always a good idea to leave spiders alone, you're a lot more likely to get bit when you try to squish them.

If it's a big problem then get a jar and move them.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

I remember that was posted in the thread before the trial started. Apparently the jurors were warned that the defense would claim it was a deliberate suicide.

New USCSB video. Snazzy soundtrack too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_icf-5uoZbc

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Leperflesh posted:

Also, people in general used to just not give as much of a poo poo about whether or by how much products were safe.

I mean, that was a real thing. The idea that the government has a role in keeping people safe from the poo poo they buy is a modern one, and even with the advent of things like the FDA, it was just generally accepted until relatively recently that you could go to the store and buy dangerous stuff and that was OK.

Hell, it's still mostly okay

if there are labels to tell you how dangerous things are

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Gromit posted:

I had a chemistry set in the late 70s in the UK, and my mum used to buy me extra chemicals that I'd ask her for. No idea where she got them from though. From some googling, it looks like my set would have come from Salter Science, as the photo of the test tubes on the wiki page looks very familiar. I'll have to check the attic in the old family home to see if the set is still there.
I've no idea if any of the listed chemicals on that page were dangerous or not, but I wasn't stupid enough as a child to taste any of it.

e: My set was pretty much this one, but wasn't quite this layout and definitely older styled:
http://www.gumtree.com/p/hobbies-collectibles/vintage-salter-science-chemistry-set/1104946314

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Wasn't there a wrestler whose big thing was that he cut himself all the time and then WHOOPS TURNS OUT HE HAD HIV?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

WarpedNaba posted:

Re: Space elevator talks, aren't they considering placing the whole thing on a floating platform in international waters? Apparently that makes the whole thing a little more flexible and makes it easier for the materials of the elevator itself to cope with atmospheric shifts and high winds.

You say that as if a space elevator is being built as we speak

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Gorilla Salad posted:

You say that as if a space elevator doesn't have to be 70,000 kilometres long.

They will never build one because, aside from all the engineering and costs and politics and everything else, if it ever failed you would have 35,000km of the strongest material ever made by humanity crashing down upon the planet at several kilometres a second. Like several billion tonnes of whip, wrapping itself around the entire planet and killing countless people.

We can't even build a bridge more than a few kilometres long and not even across open ocean, but I'm supposed to believe we will one day build a bridge 70,000km straight up?

B-b-b-but it's in my sci fi novels! It has to happen!!!!

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Poizen Jam posted:

What's up Mississauga? Hurricane damage maybe?

Pretty much all of St. John's looked like that post Hurrican Igor. We lost at least 1/3rd of our traffic lights at major stops. Always wondered if they fell on anyone- that could do some serious damage to a car. Perhaps one of the more unfortunate, albeit entertaining, damage caused was a bunch of cart corrals at the Dominion (Lowlabs subsidiary) flipped over and crushed a bunch of cars, and the smoker's gazebo collapsed too.

I wish I had some photos from that windstorm that hosed up all the wires and trees, poo poo was bad.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Zeno-25 posted:

Wow really? I haven't watched tv regularly for a good while

Every time I visit the states to see my grandmother I end up seeing more than a couple ads for them.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
It's finally time to debut my goggle fetish site

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Munin posted:

I really like the CSB videos and it is sad to hear that it is apparently mired in a sea of underfunding, overwork and mismanagement:
http://www.publicintegrity.org/2015/03/27/16997/chairman-grossly-mismanaged-chemical-safety-board-resigns
http://www.publicintegrity.org/2013/04/17/12498/critics-press-action-chemical-safety-board-investigations-languish

Reading that second article it does seem to me that mismanagement is only a part of the problem with funding issues and pushback from industry and other organisations in that area also making their work almost sisyphean. I was kinda wondering how an organisation publishing hard hitting reconstructions like that and calling for more federal regulation of industry could keep pushing that kind of radical message in the US without getting neutered.

An underfunded safety organization in the USA? Say it ain't so.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

DaNzA posted:

They make great informative and interesting safety videos though :smith: and the dude even spoke a few times in them.

Also as the years passes eg. him in a video from 2010 vs another video in 2014, you can kinda tell that he is becoming more and more angry and helpless at similar things blowing up or happening over and over again.

As long as their CGI reconstruction budget is unharmed

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I hope that person survived because I cannot stop laughing at the way they glide/fall

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Wasabi the J posted:

Yes. I was pointing out the hypocrisy in a way that would hopefully distract enough that the whole gun debate wouldn't be dragged into anther loving sub forum. Again.

Because there is irony in the fact he is decrying private gun ownership whilst touting a picture of Malcolm X with a Ruger rifle ready to defend his family and home with deadly force.

Go jerk off onto a gun about it

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

It's not a loving drone if it's loving manned

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

chitoryu12 posted:

This reminds me of something that happened in high school.

At my school there were three physics teachers whose classrooms were all connected by doors. One was just some weird guy who thought he was astral projecting at night and isn't part of this story. The other two were Mr. Davis and Mr. DeSanto.

In my junior year, I had Mr. DeSanto for physics. He's a very large man about 40 at the time, married with kids, dedicated World of Warcraft player, all-around nerd. Mr. Davis (who I took Astronomy with in my senior year) was famous throughout the school for being the epitome of a cool mad scientist. He wore bow ties as a regular fashion statement even outside of school, won teaching awards, got VIP seats to a shuttle launch, and did a Physics of Cycling fundraiser where he created his own stationary bike rig to allow him to actually ride his very expensive bicycle on rollers in the middle of class and livestreamed a presentation on the physics of bicycles while riding for the entire school day, receiving donations for the American Diabetes Society. So you've got two cool nerds who are both two of the more popular teachers in the school, and they had a peculiar rivalry.

Specifically, Pluto. This was 3 years after Pluto lost its classification as a planet, and Mr. Davis was still miffed about it. He maintained that the classification to dwarf planet was incorrect, while Mr. DeSanto believed that we should follow what the authorities on the subject say. Because Mr. Davis has a scale model of the solar system hanging from his ceiling, it became a somewhat regular occurrence for Mr. DeSanto to rally his students to steal the model and hang it up in his classroom. When I was attending his physics class in 2009, Mr. DeSanto maintained possession.

Then one day, the door to the classrooms open. Mr. Davis's students crowded in, then parted to reveal their teacher standing in the middle holding a length of PVC pipe under his arm. What he had done was filled the pipe with ping pong balls, sealed both ends with thin rubber, and vacuumed the air out of the pipe. In one hand he held a pin, which he jabbed into the rubber seal at the rear of the pipe.

Air quickly rushed in to fill the vacuum, and with a massive BANG the ping pong balls were shot out of the front of the pipe and showered over my class. In the confusion, one of the football players in Mr. Davis's class leaped onto a desk, unhooked Pluto from the drop ceiling, and ran back inside.

We did not recover Pluto that year.

People who care whether or not Pluto is a planet should be shot

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
I saw this demolition IRL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7i4eKPHCZM
It starts about 40 seconds in.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

TopHatGenius posted:

Haha they really did use Kingdom Hearts music for this demolition video.

Mississauga has a lot of weeaboos I guess

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

spog posted:

Somewhat bizarrely, they are specifically banned for sale:

https://www.gov.uk/buying-carrying-knives

loving weeaboos bringing their sickles-on-a-chain everywhere

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Overwined posted:

I don't. Because I know it'll probably just mean some new stripey warning paint in the plant, another 60 pages in the manual that no one will read, and otherwise it'll be business as usual.

I love the videos but I also hate that their reports and recommendations on new policies are pretty much entirely ignored. Hell, having to put up more warning paint and a new manual would be an improvement over what happens now.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41QMaJqxqIo

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Wedemeyer posted:

If it wasn't murder, I wonder if it was suicide. Seems like a fairly fast and painless way to go, no?

No

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

simplefish posted:

I got mystery drain cleaning chemicals on my finger.

It was labelled POISON and CORROSIVE and did indeed burn it a little

There was no chemical formula on the bottle, but it was black and smelt awful

See you on the other side

Piss on it to neutralize it

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

chitoryu12 posted:

You mean all three don't attract wannabe rebels who think capitalism is awful and they need to fight the power of the American market?

While true, bitcoin is entirely made up of libertarians looking to get rich

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

froward posted:

not caught up on the thread but I have :words:

today i worked in the engine room of a ship. there were three fires in the space of about eight minutes. welders working on top of us in a recently painted room that hadn't been cleared of oily rags.

first fire: I didn't see, but I saw smoke and was like "wtf is there a fire? impossible, lol!" and yep someone was stomping it out. crisis averted.

second fire: spot welder threw some sparks onto a hoodie, goes up. I grab it, open a door, off the ship into the water. massive VWOOSH flames, not little tiny sparks.

open up the door for ventilation so we don't asphyxiate. I get one of the painters fans pushing fresh air into the (cramped and poorly ventilated) hold.

third fire: sparks into a PLASTIC BUCKET OF PAINT. it's on fire. the welder drops his poo poo, grabs the bucket, runs it outside, throws it into the water. chemical spill!!!!1

at this point im like hmm maybe someone should clean up all these oily rags? so i do that but also get a fire extinguisher and tell everyone ITS OKAY TO USE A FIRE EXTINGUISHER YOU DON'T HAVE TO STOMP OUT FIRES!

there's like eight people (our entire department!) working in the room, plus welders. everyone has seen it. the Boss knows. nobody tells the safety officer. i am warned multiple times if I report it, everyone will be written up (and probably docked pay). I'm pretty sure this is illegal.

This all happened saturday morning, so I have until Monday to decide what the hell I'm going to do. as a reward for surviving my first encounter with fire in a goddamn enclosed space, i bought myself some new tool pouches. it didn't feel like enough.

EPILOGUE: the guy whose hoodie that was was extremely bitchy about it. at first i was sympathetic but he wouldn't shut up and now i hate him.

also i'm really pissed that I'm the only one who thinks this was life threatening & a Big Deal

Report it and report that they said not to report it

Then burn them all

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Nth Doctor posted:

Don't drop it.

Huh, I guess Prometheus was more realistic than I thought

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Ambrose Burnside posted:

My father screwed his thumb to a Tim Horton's ceiling joist at 4 in the morning before anybody else was there and got to stand on tiptoe for like several hours cause he dropped the drill when it happened. Stay Frosty Out There

Pretty hardcore dad

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

FrozenVent posted:

Electric alarm clocks will fail. It will be chaos.

:rip:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Rahul posted:

Came across this at work today:

Sikk bitcoin miner brah

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

nm posted:

Yes. Americans drive a gently caress ton more than other people, so they are just more exposed. Deaths per mile is much more useful as is compares exposure.
Can't die in a car if you're not in one.

You can be hit by one however

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
It's almost as if the people doing weird concept designs have literally no idea how whatever they're designing works.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdDuHxwD5R4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Icedude posted:

I thought that was an entirely separate patent filed by an actual airplane manufacturer, and the idea was maintenance as you said but also to improve turnaround times at airports by just having all passenger boarding being done before the plane even lands, the module in the airport terminal is swapped with the one on the plane while it refuels, and then the plane leaves as the previous passengers disembark. And it didn't involve ejecting the passengers at all.

I thought it was just some bullshit a design student thought up

• Locked thread