Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

I disagree. That truck was definitely cut short.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Relying on the stop bar to save you when you stick your foot in a woodchipper is like relying on a fuse to save you when you use a blowdryer in the tub.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLZNwxFtNhk

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Modest Mao posted:

so like 6,500 degrees F. hmm

More like 1000–1400°F. It’s not peaking in red; it’s peaking in infrared.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Leperflesh posted:

It's hard to tell with a photograph and monitor because of colors etc. but I'd guess it's around 1100 to 1200 degrees F.

Also because most cameras pick up a lot of infrared. I assume it was visibly glowing at least a little or they wouldn’t have snapped a photo, but beyond that it’s hard to say.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

ol qwerty bastard posted:

I remember taking an intro to engineering course and learning that when you design a bridge, you figure the maximum weight it can carry based on it being covered in humans, since a tightly-packed crowd of people actually weighs a lot more per square meter than vehicles.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Three-Phase posted:

In some places (particularly in the power generation industry):

Red light = On, closed, energized (red indicating a dangerous state)
Green light = Off, open, de-energized (green indicating a safe state)

Little Boy’s arming plugs:

Red is boom; green is no boom.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
http://i.imgur.com/EzQcJEE.gifv

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Buff Skeleton posted:

I originally found this dude's videos from this thread, and I love them for the ingenuity and soothing nature of woodworking. But this one looks hilariously dangerous; I'd be afraid of that blade snapping off and flying up into my face or something.

More unsafe highlights:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPP46_Y7ZPA&t=233s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6MqX5atHcY&t=457s

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Ultra‐low deck for EZ loading.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Cheez posted:

Turtles are also, supposedly, legally mailable.

Not by the USPS.

Nineteen‐inch alligators are a‐okay.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Carbon dioxide posted:

Apparently, at some point during the industrial revolution, there were factory towns with a huge steam engine in the middle and moving belts delivering power to every factory around it. Just like there would be electric wiring from a power plant today. I'm betting it wasn't much more dangerous than the first high power electrical connections.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIoBbQQs_p4

I couldn't find any outdoor examples, sadly.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Carbon dioxide posted:

Elephant's foot, alright. But I think those electrical sparks and that dude are photoshopped in.

I don't think it’s a ’shop, just a flash photograph with a long exposure.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Trabisnikof posted:

Not too long ago they had to shoot a cow that escaped into a town because the authorities couldn't figure out a better option (because they're idiots).

It seems like it would be way more trouble to move a dead cow than to just do it right and take it alive.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Cutting open a cylinder of flammable gas [with a cutting torch]? Seems like a good plan.

Shockingly, no one gets hurt.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Huh. My understanding had always been pressure cooker failure meant superheated water being shot around the kitchen, not an actual explosion.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

New GoT season looking good.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

maybe pushed off, from steam from the water, if that wasn't from a firetruck to help cool the metal

Thermal contraction alone could do it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Leperflesh posted:

Re: the aluminum transport talk, you guys know how cement trucks work, right? They mix cement and water at the plant and then the truck has to get to the job site and unload within a specific amount of time. A serious delay and the cement hardens inside the mixer.

And then you either scrap the entire mixer tank, or some poor fucker has to get in there with a jackhammer, probably violating a bunch of OSHA regulations about working in confined spaces.

Anyway, point is, there are other areas where "deliver this on time or else the truck is ruined" is a thing.

Can’t you “poison” the cement with sugar to prevent that?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Surely those are telegraph wires.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

DONT CARE BUTTON posted:

Does anyone know what show this was or have an alternate link? It's been deleted from youtube.

I believe it was Welcome to India, episode 1.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It would be a shame if one of those rotors threw a blade.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Delta Echo posted:

Those race car tires should have 1G of lateral grip, so even if the platform was vertical the car should have been okay.

I’m not sure if this is a joke, but that’s not how friction works.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Unperson_47 posted:

Does that mean they could retrofit the older trains with the newer, safer couplers? If so, why don't they? Not that that would save someone who values their job more than their life enough to jump between two train cars.

Guess I answered my own question.

I think the idea is that the U.S. has been using knuckle couplers for longer, so most vintage locomotives/cars there already feature them.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

They’re filling in that hazardous trench so it can’t collapse.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/08/Comparison_four_face_clocks.jpg

Holy gently caress! I knew Abraj Al Bait was huge but not that huge.

I wonder what machinery is used to drive that. Whatever it is, I’d bet it OSHA‐worthy.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
A well‐planned demolition.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Carbon dioxide posted:

Pipes for water systems to fight fires are required to be flushed every few months or so, to prevent getting diseases in the stale water, which can cause worse troubles than a small fire, if the water is sprinkled on a lot of people.

Yeah, this is the OSHA thread. Just because it’s law doesn’t mean people do it.

Emergency showers and eyewash stations are somewhat more likely to be flushed regularly, but you’re still taking your chances with them in many institutions.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
If a bus is involved, it’s OSHA territory, right? no gore, no one dies

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Now that’s off‐road performance.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

EPA posted:

pellet stoves are the cleanest solid fuel, residential heating appliance

Lol, what's the alternative? Coal? Uranium?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Raskolnikov38 posted:

what apocalypse is going to be survivable with two feet of dirt and some sheet metal over your head

Two feet of dirt will legit protect you from significant amounts of fallout, if you can avoid the blast killing you or collapsing your shelter, tracking in too many hot particles, eating contaminated food (or outright starving), &c.

What I’m saying is that it’s useless.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Hysterical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012